IGNORED

1942 - It needs a thread...

Trebor

17 hours ago, Silver Back said:

The game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it. However I only have the concerto and according to the stream it won't work on that currently and even if it does via patch the sound won't work ever. I understand there's a new multicart coming that I'm sure I'll invest in, but has there been any talks with Albert or Shawn about a limited cartridge release?  

No, it will just be a free ROM release. As has already been pointed out earlier in this topic, it is CAPCOM's game, and no permission has been sought for a 7800 conversion. I'd guess other titles sold in the AA store (and elsewhere) are also done so without permission, but CAPCOM are still actively selling 1942 as a CAPCOM Arcade Stadium title today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, playsoft said:

No, it will just be a free ROM release. As has already been pointed out earlier in this topic, it is CAPCOM's game, and no permission has been sought for a 7800 conversion. I'd guess other titles sold in the AA store (and elsewhere) are also done so without permission, but CAPCOM are still actively selling 1942 as a CAPCOM Arcade Stadium title today.

Understood and I greatly appreciate the work and the fact that it's available to all to download and enjoy. It is a magnificent feat for the 7800 and one that I can't wait to try when I can get the proper flash cart!  Thank you to all involved again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playsoft said:

As has already been pointed out earlier in this topic, it is CAPCOM's game, and no permission has been sought for a 7800 conversion. I'd guess other titles sold in the AA store (and elsewhere) are also done so without permission, but CAPCOM are still actively selling 1942 as a CAPCOM Arcade Stadium title today.

If they have any objections, rename it to MCMXLII.  Problem solved ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

On 9/30/2022 at 12:06 PM, Trebor said:

labor of love

If CAPCOM ever notice, I hope that's how they see it.

22 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If they have any objections, rename it to MCMXLII

Oh, that could be the filename!

14 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Will you think about including a toggle for the arcade "music"?

I have added it as an option, as there were enough people asking for it.

19 minutes ago, Cris1997XX said:

You DO know I was referring to C64's rearrangement of the 633 Squadron movie score, right?

I did play around with the film score and managed to get it sounding reasonably OK but we decided against it.

633.a78

• Like 7

Ok.

1942 uses two AY chips in the arcade, one for music, one for SFX.  This can easily be handled by POKEY plus TIA.  I know a few tricks to get that screech in the main BGM, the rest is fairly standard square plus noise stuff, easily handled with standard POKEY settings.

If it's the C64 music thats desired ... POKEYs got some tricks ... I was thinking that guitar filter sound I used in the Area 1 EXO theme for that one ...

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Ok.

1942 uses two AY chips in the arcade, one for music, one for SFX.  This can easily be handled by POKEY plus TIA.  I know a few tricks to get that screech in the main BGM, the rest is fairly standard square plus noise stuff, easily handled with standard POKEY settings.

If it's the C64 music thats desired ... POKEYs got some tricks ... I was thinking that guitar filter sound I used in the Area 1 EXO theme for that one ...

I saw this just now, but having the choice of POKEY music would be amazing. Setting the XM expansion module up on A7800 is a pain in the ass (And I don't think other emulators even allow you to play with FM synthesis)

37 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

What is the feasability of making a cart with a YM2151 or FPGA emulation on board?

I would be surprised (tho that happens more often than I'd care to admit) if an FPGA emulation is cost effective by itself.

Included in something that does other things, like the DragonFly, yeah.  But I would imagine FPGA just for that might not be worth it.

Now, some googling shows possible availability of the YM2151 (https://www.digipart.com/part/YM2151) but I have no idea if that is accurate, what the pricing would be and what quantities would be needed for reasonable (whatever that is) pricing.

There is some one-off availability on the usual places; ebay, aliexpress.  But again, not sure how reliable that is.

And for a cart for one or two games?  Might not be worth it.

That said, I still think it might be worth it for a passthru cart.  That way, you could sell the cart and use it without YM, or use the passthru cart.  And people with a multicart that don't currently have YM would be able to use it as well...

Perhaps there would be enough of an audience there to justify some type of bulk purchase of YMs?

But that would require the design and production of a passthru cart.  I understand the electronic part of that has been done, but still lots of other steps.  I'd guess unlikely, although I'd be in for it if it happens.  ;-)

Either way, this game looks/sounds great as is!!  ;-)

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Which leads to another question:

What is the feasability of making a cart with a YM2151 or FPGA emulation on board?

This makes me wonder...why the YM2151 in particular? From what I know it features 8 sound channels, but it's a tiny wee bit weaker than what the Mega Drive has. Plus there's no PCM available 😂

Looks very good.

Good call to go with using the C64 tune in the levels. (Man, how Elite naiied 8-bit gaming back in those days).

Very nice to see moving waves, tons of sprites in action (what the 7800-hardware really could compete on), lots of fire coming out of that splendid-looking P-38 Lightning.

Looks awesome so far.

- - -

And now, I see all these threads and updates about Pengo, Ghosts N Goblins, 1942… 

… all cool, - very cool actually.

I still wonder to what degree I shouid expect to see these on carts to be ordered from somewhere or someone, - package, manuals and all… or whether these things will be more for use with the Dragonfly and Concerto…?

What to expect here.

Congrats to developers anyway: looks and sounds like a labour of love.

- - -

And it certainly deserves this thread started…!

19 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

This makes me wonder...why the YM2151 in particular? From what I know it features 8 sound channels, but it's a tiny wee bit weaker than what the Mega Drive has. Plus there's no PCM available 😂

It's not weaker at all, it's better than the Megadrives YM2612. 

• Haha 1