IGNORED

1942 - It needs a thread...

Trebor

I do not want to hijack this forum, but this is kind of relevant to playing 1942.

I used Quartus II 13.1 (64-bit) to flash my CPLD. It's still installed on the laptop that I am taking to PRGE. I do not see any messages about an expiration.

@playsoft & @-^CrossBow^-, is that the program you used? Please let me know if I am missing something.

It wouldn't be much for me to pack the USB Blaster and an extra set of pins. I need Rafał @rj1307 to confirm, but he seemed surprised that I was soldering the pins to the board. Rafał, did you imply that it is safe to just hold the pins firmly in place while flashing the unit?  I would not want to solder anybody's unit. If that works, it's an option, or the pins could be soldered before PRGE. :)

Just a thought. Please reply to the thread below, and we can discuss there. @Albert said it would be possible to find some room on Sunday, for a short window of time. (Sunday dies down.)

I posed this question for PRGE:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

I do not want to hijack this forum, but this is kind of relevant to playing 1942.

I used Quartus II 13.1 (64-bit) to flash my CPLD. It's still installed on the laptop that I am taking to PRGE. I do not see any messages about an expiration.

@playsoft & @-^CrossBow^-, is that the program you used? Please let me know if I am missing something.

It wouldn't be much for me to pack the USB Blaster and an extra set of pins. I need Rafał @rj1307 to confirm, but he seemed surprised that I was soldering the pins to the board. Rafał, did you imply that it is safe to just hold the pins firmly in place while flashing the unit?  I would not want to solder anybody's unit. If that works, it's an option, or the pins could be soldered before PRGE. :)

Just a thought. Please reply to the thread below, and we can discuss there. @Albert said it would be possible to find some room on Sunday, for a short window of time. (Sunday dies down.)

I posed this question for PRGE:

Pretty sure that is the same software I used yes. It was whichever one RJ specified to grab in his PDF. And it did only allow a 30 day trial since I'm not sub of Intel's developing software platforms and hence why mine was giving me the notice about only being usable for x number of days each time I loaded it up. As for the soldering or not of those pins. It isn't that big a deal to me and I've got quite a few of them on hand so I was soldering them into the boards. But if it works well enough to just have it as an angle enough that the vias are making contact, then sure... just go that route.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Rafał, did you imply that it is safe to just hold the pins firmly in place while flashing the unit?  I would not want to solder anybody's unit. If that works, it's an option, or the pins could be soldered before PRGE. :)

Yes, it is enough to insert the pin and tilt it as far as it will go. All cartridges were programmed in this way.  :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pac-Lander said:

I'm using OpenEmu (for Mac) and when I try to play the binary, the screen goes black and nothing else loads. Any idea as to why that may be? I haven't had issues with any other ROMs and I have the current version loaded.

I don't know if it could have the same issues as JS7800? The YM2151@460 bit in the cart header causes JS7800 to select the wrong bank switching scheme. It also does not support the YM2151 timer functionality which is needed to detect if the YM is present.

I really didn't want to start debugging emulator issues, but I made a special build for JS7800 as we used it a lot during development.

• Like 2

Just tried this out on my CC2.  Worked great!  (Obviously without Yamaha sound)

Stripped the header on the A78 file and used this line in my CC2 config:

HOME: 1942                    1942-78        256R32        78BIOS

Looks and plays great.  I died just as quickly as I usually die with that game. ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:47 AM, playsoft said:

We have made the last few finishing touches, so please find the game ROM attached.

TL;DR...

Currently you will need a DragonFly to play it on real hardware. If you have not already done so, I highly recommend applying the CPLD fix, otherwise there is a good chance you may see issues when running the game. These can include graphics corruption, lock ups, crashes or stack dumps. In the @ZeroPage Homebrew show there was a stack dump at the end after playing the game for quite a long time, but issues may well occur sooner. The CPLD fix will improve compatibility with other games too.

Details of how to update your DragonFly can be found here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/310150-dragonfly-my-version-of-the-atari-7800-sd-cartridge/?do=findComment&comment=5109304

Currently Concerto does not support 256K ROMs, but I am informed this will be added in the next major firmware release. You should then be able to run the game without the YM2151 music.

During development an early version of the game was successfully tested on the forthcoming 7800GD. You can keep track of its development here:

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/

The ROM will run on A7800 with the XM module for the YM music. It will also run on BupSystem but without the music. I had to make a couple of minor tweaks for it to run on JS7800, so rather than release two ROMs @raz0red has kindly added it to the list on built-in games.

I am told it runs OK on MiSTer but there is a large difference between the TIA and YM audio levels, so you may want to select the audio option for music only.

A good playing guide can be found here:

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/1942

I think most of the options are self-explanatory. There are 3 colour sets available. "TREBOR" is generally best for running on real h/w and "TIX" for emulation. If you have a very dark picture on real h/w, then "DARRYL" may be your best choice. In the audio options (C64) is the C64 music and (OG) is the original game music.

The game supports both the High Score Cart and SaveKey in port #2 (it must be present when the game boots).

The game was written for NTSC but supports PAL. The slower refresh rate makes it easier, so it defaults to the hardest difficulty setting on a PAL console.

A big thanks to @TIX, as ever it's been a pleasure to work with you. I would also like to thank everybody else who has contributed to this: @darryl1970 @Trebor @wongojack @ZeroPage Homebrew @Jaden (JRH) @-^CrossBow^- @sramirez2008 @RevEng @marauder666 @juansolo @Eagle @rj1307 @SainT and Agermose (developer of the 1942 Amiga conversion).

1942.a78 256.13 kB · 440 downloads

Great work guys !! Love your version of this game.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, desiv said:

Just tried this out on my CC2.  Worked great!  (Obviously without Yamaha sound)

Stripped the header on the A78 file and used this line in my CC2 config:

HOME: 1942                    1942-78        256R32        78BIOS

Looks and plays great.  I died just as quickly as I usually die with that game. ;-) 

That is good news - the running on CC2, not the dying! It was DF and Concerto that got me interested in the 7800, I hadn't even considered that it might run on the older flash carts. The .bin is attached.

1942.bin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I had that all in place over 2 weeks ago but the current license expired on the software. I might have a solution for this but will have to look and make sure.

Do you have the option to run the software without compilation support as mentioned in this comment? Apparently it should still work for this purpose even in this limited mode.

3 hours ago, Slylecoco said:

Just a question, impossible to play 1942 on Android or PSP? I try Retroarch and a7800, but black screen on those system..☹️

You may be able to play via js7800 - the online 7800 emulator that has a 1948 ROM as one of the built-in selections:

https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Slylecoco said:

Just a question, impossible to play 1942 on Android or PSP? I try Retroarch and a7800, but black screen on those system..☹️

Just like the issue with OpenEmu, RetroArch uses the archaic ProSystem emulator core.

Using the ProSystem core for Atari 7800 emulation is akin to using the Nesticle core for NES emulation in 2022.

The A7800 source code is freely available, if the developers of OpenEmu or RetroArch are interested in bringing either up to modern Atari 7800 emulation standards. 

Presently, there is a better alternative to RetroArch for Atari 7800 emulation under the Android platform, Argon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded both Retroarch and Prosystem for my PC and I get blank screens on both, even running the special build I put together for JS7800.

I then tried some other games and found that 128K and 144K ROMs were OK (well, they loaded - I did notice a lot of corrupt graphics on Pengo), but anything bigger always gave a blank screen.

So, I don't think there is anything I can do to get the game working on those emulators, sorry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Karl G said:

Do you have the option to run the software without compilation support as mentioned in this comment? Apparently it should still work for this purpose even in this limited mode.

Yes that does come up for me now and near as I can tell, that should still work for our needs. Awesome!!!

• Like 1

After far too long faffing around trying to install Altera USB Blaster drivers for Win11 (never did succeed), I managed to get a driver installed on my older Win10 laptop. Downloaded and installed Quartus on THAT box, and again, after screwing around too long - this time because I missed a crucial step - I got my Dragonfly Cart updated and finally gave this a spin.

Wow, great game and a fantastic contribution to the 7800 communty, @playsoft, @TIX and @Trebor. Thanks, folks. Wonderful stuff.

(Now someone please re-do XEVIOUS with good music ... 👀)

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, Slylecoco said:

Wait for better Time

I would much prefer everyone play the full version, but I have been able to build a 128K "small" ROM of the game which only includes a single background (the island graphics). It also lacks the YM music, but you wouldn't get that anyway. It appears to run OK on RetroArch and Prosystem.

Concerto owners can also run this build while waiting for the firmware update. It seems to run OK, other than interference on characters in the title and high score screens.

1942sr.a78

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, playsoft said:

I would much prefer everyone play the full version, but I have been able to build a 128K "small" ROM of the game which only includes a single background (the island graphics). It also lacks the YM music, but you wouldn't get that anyway. It appears to run OK on RetroArch and Prosystem.

Concerto owners can also run this build while waiting for the firmware update. It seems to run OK, other than interference on characters in the title and high score screens.

1942sr.a78 128.13 kB · 6 downloads

As someone who owns the concerto and prefers real hardware and my crt tv, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome news! This game looks & sounds incredible! Glad I'll be able to play it on real hardware with the Concerto now, even if it's missing a few things.. It's better than nothing, at least until I land a Dragonfly cart. :)

Thanks to all those involved!

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 1