IGNORED

1942 - It needs a thread...

Trebor

Thank you so much @Trebor for starting this thread. This is an insanely amazing game, is on my homebrew wish list and I can't wait to premiere it TONIGHT on the ZPH stream! Hope everyone can tune in!

Games:
  • 1942 (Exclusive World Premiere | 7800) by Paul Lay @playsoft (Code), Konstantinos Giamalidis @TIX (Graphics)

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Caught some of the game in action on the stream. Looks incredible! Interested to hear how the music is done.

The music uses the YM2151 with a really simple player, just a list of delay (frames), channel and note. I was able to generate this data from the arcade/NES .vgm files and the C64 .mid file. The OPM instruments were taken from the fb1_factory collection, I only use 6 different instruments but really liked JOrgan1 so that gets used a lot!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, playsoft said:

Thanks @Trebor for starting the thread and thanks @ZeroPage Homebrew for previewing it on your stream. It was good to see you enjoying it!

My pleasure, and it was very cool to see James' genuine excitement and happiness for this port.  On his homebrew wish list, indeed.  The level of awesomeness was akin to a kid on Christmas morning.

You and @TIX have done an amazing job!

• Like 6

I had the honor of beta testing this game, and I just wanna say that I'm really thankful for @playsoftgiving me this opportunity. This is a fantastic shooter and it easily destroys a lot of the other console ports of this game. I can't wait for everyone else here to be able to play it, because it is a work of art. And I hope that we can work on more stuff together in the future, Paul!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, slx said:

Can‘t watch several hours of stream, hope for a simple gameplay video sometime soon. Screenshots look nice and while I suck at 1942 on the PSP I might still be tempted to get it for the 7800.

Or you could skip ahead in the stream and watch the gameplay that way? ;)

48 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Tried to but for some reason this didn't work on the mobile device I was using. Maybe because the stream was still live due to my watching it very early in the morning in a different time zone. Will give it another try.

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

46 minutes in and the gameplay goodness starts, but if time allows, the port comparisons and other tidbits are really worth viewing too.

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

An impressive port for sure! ZPH showing a number of other ports only shows how impressive of a feat this is. This is a title that really seems to play to the 7800's strengths with sprite handling. 

Absolutely, the 7800 is a sprite beast.  Some other standout points:

-The kind of polish seen with 1942, demonstrates some very efficient, effective, and impressive coding by playsoft. 

-Graphic and sprite designing, which avoids a 1:1 typical conversion or wide and stretched appearance when utilizing the 160 modes, by working with the pixel aspect ratio, while maximizing possible details, highlights very significant talent and skill.  Thankfully, we have a few working on the platform who have such abilities, and TIX is definitely one of them.

-Leveraging, by system design, support of external sound chip, as needed.  Whether it's POKEY, Minnie/Gumby, or in this case the YM2151.  Commando set the template of music by external sound chip, SFX by internal TIA. 1942 follows that template, utilizing an external sound chip for music and internal TIA for the sound effects, beautifully.

This, by no means, is stating all of the above, or only the above, is necessary for a great game on the 7800, but does emphasize that when sufficient resources are allocated to the system, utilizing its strengths and design, we continue to experience quality ports of games and excellent original titles.  We have an incredible pool of developers and other talents working on the 7800 platform.  It's a win-win all around.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

I browsed through all the "subchapters" and it is mentioned neither there nor in the youtube description where all the other games are listed....:(