IGNORED

Mystery game in 1981/1982 catalog

jlew715

Hey folks,

Stumbled across a post on Reddit about an unidentified game in the 1981 Atari catalog. The game in question is the pink/magenta box to the right of Dodge ‘Em on the bottom row on the left. Redditor /u/HKT-3020 skewed the image from a higher resolution source giving us this image

The layout of the art is similar to Slot Racer, with an arc in the bottom left and some sort of sphere or orb in the upper left, but definitely not Slot Racer. The letters themselves are impossible to read but it almost looks like a hyphenated title. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I checked the box scans for all the games in the catalog and nothing matches up. 

I read through the list of games that atari itself released for the 2600 and none of them looked like any of these. The only one that seemed to be a similar number of letters was Dig Dug, which wasn't even released in arcades in 1981, and in any rate had a very different style of box than this. There's also tic tac toe, but that would be quite an abbreviation on this box. 

11 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I read through the list of games that atari itself released for the 2600 and none of them looked like any of these.

Agreed, my best guess is that it’s an unreleased game, or a game that got released with different box art and/or title.

Another possibility is that it’s a made-up box to fill space in the image, but unlikely because they had 49 games at this point and there are only ~40 in the image. 

I also though of Tic-Tac-Toe but it’s in the upper left corner. 

I scanned the image on the highest resolution that my scanner could muster, and I also tweaked the color and adjusted the sharpness.  This is what I came up with.  I don't know if it's any clearer than what you guys are seeing, but here it is, in case it helps.  You can click on the pic, and it'll zoom in a bit.

I also noticed that the number of game variations is not indicated; perhaps because it was an unreleased game, as some of you have suggested.

catalog.thumb.jpg.0d9d8fc8732802f5e67095d3691b8aef.jpg

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, JayAre said:

I scanned the image on the highest resolution that my scanner could muster, and I also tweaked the color and adjusted the sharpness.  This is what I came up with.  I don't know if it's any clearer than what you guys are seeing, but here it is, in case it helps.  You can click on the pic, and it'll zoom in a bit.

I also noticed that the number of game variations is not indicated; perhaps because it was an unreleased game, as some of you have suggested.

catalog.thumb.jpg.0d9d8fc8732802f5e67095d3691b8aef.jpg

On this picture it's ACK-ACK to me, but not on the one from the OP.