IGNORED

DO NOT READ. This thread is bad.

Ecernosoft

Fair enough. I'm sorry about that. I was trying to be funny, but I might have went too far and this was probably the wrong place to post that.

Before I potentially get crucified for that post, I do wanna actually be serious for a moment. Being 19 years old and having first joined a forum when I was way too young to do so, I can actually relate to what Ecernosoft is going through. I don't want to make it like I'm defending him, but I did a lot of the same things he did. I had done stuff like making accessive posts, apologizing a ton, and threatening to leave whatever website I was on. However, this was all years ago during elementary/middle school. And as I got older, I learned more about what and what not to do on forums. It all comes from experience. However, you are supposed to grow and learn from these experiences, which Ecernosoft. The fact that they have been on the forum for less than a year and have already made 1,000 posts is concerning already. But it's the general lack of willingness to cooperate and learn that is most upsetting. I don't know what could be done to help the guy. I know that people here have already said a lot to him about improving. However, from my personal experience, maybe it would be for the best for him to leave. Or at least take a break and stop posting. Maybe look at other similar communities and observe what they do. Actually make an effort to learn from them. I know this probably won't happen, but I figured I should at least share my perspective on this subject.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Or at least take a break and stop posting. Maybe look at other similar communities and observe what they do. Actually make an effort to learn from them.

This.

Good advice for all newcomers to any long-standing community: read more, think more, post less until you have something meaningful to add to a conversation. Doesn’t matter how old someone is. If you’re old enough to be left unsupervised on the internet, don’t act like a petulant, immature kid in a room full of (mostly) adults. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

think more, post less

I am user #650 at this forum.  If I had a kid the day I joined, he'd be legally allowed to drink for the past 11 days now.  I have 11,795 posts, which seems like a lot.  Way more than I've done at any other forum (by a factor of 10) or social media (which I am not on).  "Someone else" has 1,000 posts in 6 months?  You do the math.

• Like 4

Seems we are calculating posts to membership ratios. Im sitting fairly pretty at 11years and only 1836posts.

Lets do the math (pun intended)...

365x11=4015

1836/4015=0.457

I thought ratio would be even less as i can go months without posting. Although my early years i posted alot on the 2600HSC.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GaryH917 said:

So I have 554 posts in 21 years on here! Definitely a lurker!! But I enjoy reading about new releases and the process it takes to make these games. Just look at the 7800 scene and all the new games being released by these amazing Programmers! 

The great thing is: you too can make games.  BASIC is the key to the castle.  7800bas really levels the playing field.  Though, it helps enormously that AtariAge is populated by enthusiasts who love to create and play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, in 11 years and 4 months, I’ve posted an average of just over twice a day. Not too bad for someone whose day job usually requires a LOT of talking. :) 

I think these numbers include a couple of really long-running group PM threads though, so not all these “posts” are in the main forums. 

On 11/15/2022 at 11:06 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Mate really? I put my neck out giving the benefit of the doubt thinking you didn't know any better... Playing the card yourself demonstrates you know your actions full well. I retract my statements.

PS. No need to apologize

Thanks.

Also, I will not say any more on this thread.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Like i said i don't agree with his forum ethics and behavior. However even in the street face to face if a 14 year old was rude to me i wouldn't even respond. I really feel in this environment the report function works better than getting into an never ending tiff. Admins and moderators have that role for this very reason otherwise what's the point. Also im not siding even though by speaking up it will put me on the left wing. Just think this should be handled by admins and moderators

First of all, that was a mistake on my end.

I don't want to argue with an experienced adult, but that day was a real bad one for me.

I was already on edge and wasn't thinking when I posted that.

It..... ended very poorly for me. 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:02 AM, DrVenkman said:

Well, in 11 years and 4 months, I’ve posted an average of just over twice a day. Not too bad for someone whose day job usually requires a LOT of talking. :) 

Nice!

On the other hand there's me.... who posts way too much. (Or used to at least)

On 11/18/2022 at 6:19 AM, Gemintronic said:

The great thing is: you too can make games.  BASIC is the key to the castle.  7800bas really levels the playing field.  Though, it helps enormously that AtariAge is populated by enthusiasts who love to create and play.

Basic is great! But for retro (specifically the 7800) I'm sticking with Assembly, and ICT3 will be my last mainstream 7800 game. I'm going back to modern hardware after that.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:33 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Seems we are calculating posts to membership ratios. Im sitting fairly pretty at 11years and only 1836posts.

Lets do the math (pun intended)...

365x11=4015

1836/4015=0.457

I thought ratio would be even less as i can go months without posting. Although my early years i posted alot on the 2600HSC.

2600HSC? Show me please!

On 11/17/2022 at 5:23 PM, Stephen said:

I am user #650 at this forum.  If I had a kid the day I joined, he'd be legally allowed to drink for the past 11 days now.  I have 11,795 posts, which seems like a lot.  Way more than I've done at any other forum (by a factor of 10) or social media (which I am not on).  "Someone else" has 1,000 posts in 6 months?  You do the math.

Oh, I wonder who..... ;) 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:39 AM, SIO2 said:

When learning to program the humans it is important to remember that:

$ less

is

c:\ more

Pause every now and then to let the humans catch up.

Of course.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

Fair enough. I'm sorry about that. I was trying to be funny, but I might have went too far and this was probably the wrong place to post that.

Cut yourself some slack. And also, compared to me you're fine! Me... well.. I'm trying to fix my reputation.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:34 PM, Stephen said:

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. 

Ecernosoft learned the rules of forums the hard way!

Ecernosoft learned not to go on forums when he's on edge!

Ecernosoft learned that he's gotta fix his reputation!

On 11/16/2022 at 1:47 PM, The Usotsuki said:

Look, I can be a hell of a n00b sometimes (I've got mental problems). The difference is I learn from my mistakes.

And so do I.

Especially noting that I have ADHD. But I'm not going to use that as an excuse.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:08 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

...So, popcorn anyone? 🍿

I'd love some! 😃

On 11/16/2022 at 5:26 AM, Silver Back said:

There's a lot here to take in and hopefully he will choose to read through the replies and understand the consequences of his actions. But it's a lot to take in and following "apologies" with "I'm sorry, OK " just reminds me of dealing with my own 15 year old son.

@Silver Back I'm trying my best to realise too. 

Atariage was (and still is) the first social media *anything* I was ever on. I'm not going to make "Little boy" excuses for my behaviors though, even if I did back then. 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:25 AM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

I took a break from the forums and not only that, I was going to present a fully functional smooth platforming sample for 7800Basic. That didn't happen because you butting in and saying irrelevantly stupid stuff! Oh, and for the love of god, please learn self control when you post. JEEZ!

@ZippyRedPlumber That's why I'm taking a break from the forums. I'm sure you will all agree: I don't fit here. I'm a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. I'm going to stop trying to be what I can't be. And I was very excited for your game... And also, yeah. I know what I said was real dumb. I wasn't thinking and was seriously lacking. Looking back at those comments (I'd take em down but... what would that do) I realise how mindless I was. I'm trying to move on from that and hence, why I'm leaving atariage. 

On 11/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

I'm unblocking Ecernosoft long enough to reply to two of his posts; the things I have to say are ones that I want the entire forum to be able to read.

Apologising misses the point, which is to not engage in the behaviour in the first place.  More:

We all have bad days.  That does not give you carte blanche to take it out on others, particularly people who are giving you their time and effort out of their own kindness.  Neither you nor anyone else is entitled to receive that assistance, and no-one is obligated to provide it.  That help is something that can be revoked at any time.  Keep that in mind.

Which is true, but that tantrum was the last straw for me.  You have been unwilling to both heed and also act on any advice given to you regarding the behaviours that cause friction, and have even gone so far as to say (though not verbatim) that you're not going to make an effort to change them.  It's unreasonable to expect anyone to just sit there and put up with it.  That is what caused the ignore switch to be flipped on in your direction.

Hold it.  You're telling me to "move on with life?" You are in no position to dictate what I or anyone else does.

As for an apology: valid ones do not have conditions, demands, or suggestions attached to them.  I cannot accept this one because of that.  You are welcome to try again. 

Yes, you do.  We all do.  And you are not guaranteed happiness any more than the rest of us are.

Understand that my goal here is not to make you feel terrible: if it were, I'd be a real piece of shit for a number of reasons.  My goal here is to get you to understand how what you do affects those around you and, in turn, affects the reception that you receive.  In other words, and as I've said to you before, giving you the necessary survival skills for fitting in around here.

At no time have I had the perception that you were going after myself or anyone else.  If you had been (and I say this based on historical precedent), the response you would have received would have been several orders of magnitude greater from a number of the people that were lashed out at.

Again: I am not angry at or offended by what you may have said.  However, I am fed up to the back teeth with how you've been conducting yourself around here, and decided to take steps to reduce my contact with you to practically nil.  That's it.

Prove to us by your actions that it is fixed.

We all make mistakes, myself included.  Last night, I botched modifications I was making to a UAV that I was installing, and likely killed it.  Last week, I scheduled two people to be on a shift at the same time when only one was needed.  A few days before that, I watched my last 10mm deep well 1/4-inch socket roll into a storm drain and disappear into two feet of mud after I dropped it.  And I've said and done things in my life that have made people unhappy, angry, or disappointed with me.  We all have.  But none of those things give me or anyone else the right to take them out on another.

For the moment, I am going to put the ignore back in place.  This does not mean that I am unwilling to accept an apology from you, but due to the previous one having had terms and conditions attached to it, I feel that I need to see improvement before I can formally accept one.

Also, please read the following response to @5-11under's post below.  I'm keeping all of the points he made intact despite only addressing one of them because they are all valid.

Related to number 3. above: USE THE LIKE BUTTON.  I have no idea what quantity of your posts could be more appropriately addressed by using that to give someone a quick acknowledgement of what they have said, but doing so would seriously cut down on the aggravation that unnecessary two-word reply posts cause everyone involved - yourself included when you get to hear yet another reminder to stop doing that again.

1856265499_Presbutanforliek.thumb.png.76e77645779490014e901c2d7fe3afad.png

And, finally: if I weren't willing to put in the time and effort it took to write all of this, you would have actually been written off.  That hasn't happened yet.  Do what you need to do to put things right (and keep them that way) and we can see where things stand later.

To @x=usr(1536):

Yeah. I've learned my lesson. No more spamming, mindless posting, etc.

I've also tried to follow what you guys have set. I'm trying to be a better person and also, a GOOD FORUM USER who doesn't pollute other's threads. Ok?

I want to LEARN from you, and.... not do what I did earlier. 

I don't want... that happening again.

I am glad that you aren't upset or angry at me. Ok?

I didn't see what you were saying to me clearly and... I'll admit, didn't take the time to read everything (Probably because I was so "cry baby" at the time I didn't even want to fix what I did lol). Had I done that, I would've fixed this sooner.

I'm sad that you are still ignoring me, but I really am trying to improve.

If someone like you could help me out here, I'd love that.

I am still learning and I'm glad that you wouldn't mind me sending an apology. Ok?

First off: I'm planning to make a "ICT3 final version" thread due to the chaos tied to this one, but should I actually go through with it?

I will also read the response from @5-11under them.

And the like button.... oops. I'll go back and do that.

I'm glad you are telling me these things since it helps me be a better person.

For now, I'm trying to learn from your comments (And other people's comments) on this stuff.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:31 AM, rj1307 said:

You're wrong, it doesn't work.
You asked me via PM and started a special thread to find out why the game doesn't work on DragonFly.
You got a specific answer with an indication of where you are making a mistake:

And what are you doing next? NOTHING, you release another version of the game with the same problem and claim that everyone is wrong and only you are right.

First off: No. That's not what I Intended to do. That's what it looked like though since I was consumed with rage at that time! I was.... well... really mad. Why? Well, ...... I wasn't thinking.

I sort of wish I could delete this. It's a real bad spot on my reputation and.... it really sucks. This thread... at least my posts.... are TERRIBLE! Ok?

I am not trying to prove any of you wrong in this. I hope I can improve my reputation with you guys.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Like i said i don't agree with his forum ethics and behavior. 

I don't agree with it either! It was REALLY, REALLY STUPID.

I'm not going to pretend they don't exist. If I were to delete them.... it wouldn't do much. 

I'm a very different person now. Me and various others talked about it and I've learned a lot.

Guys, I don't want to look like an awful person on Atariage. Can I learn from you guys instead of be told I'm an awful forum user?

I'd really appreciate that. Not that your wrong, 'cause I am with my bad posting.

Edit: I'm still going to read posts on this thread. I'm trying my best to fix my mistakes and look like a humble person again, like I used to be.

I'm also leaving the forums (Posting wise). I'll try my best to respond, but I'm busy existing in places I should exist and leaving places where I make life worse for many of you by my antics which are really poor at times. I try not to let bad things happen... but I failed at that here.

Edited by Ecernosoft

45 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Edit: I'm still going to read posts on this thread. I'm trying my best to fix my mistakes and look like a humble person again, like I used to be.

Don't beat yourself up over this.  Consider it a learning experience, dust yourself off, and move on. Hopefully you'll keep coding - it can lead to some really high paying jobs (mostly they are not videogame developer jobs).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Don't beat yourself up over this.  Consider it a learning experience, dust yourself off, and move on. Hopefully you'll keep coding - it can lead to some really high paying jobs (mostly they are not videogame developer jobs).

Thanks Stephen.

I WILL keep on coding- ICT4 will be for PC (I recently got a new computer too!) and I'm glad you guys are helping me out. Trying to become a better person in the process.

If you look back (Actually, Don't do that!) to the earlier posts I might seem like a really bad person. I am NOT that person inside.

I'd also love to help out with YOUR projects. If you want help reguarding the 7800, I am always available. Although, I'd recommend choosing someone else who has more time for this stuff instead of me.

• Like 3

Just now, Ecernosoft said:

Thanks Stephen.

I WILL keep on coding- ICT4 will be for PC (I recently got a new computer too!) and I'm glad you guys are helping me out. Trying to become a better person in the process.

If you look back (Actually, Don't do that!) to the earlier posts I might seem like a really bad person. I am NOT that person inside.

I'd also love to help out with YOUR projects. If you want help reguarding the 7800, I am always available. Although, I'd recommend choosing someone else who has more time for this stuff instead of me.

Thanks - I've not done any coding for 2600 or 7800.  I focus on the 8-bit line of Atari machines (for hobby), and have been full time coder as my day job for over 15 years now.  But that is what I describe as "boring business software".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Thanks - I've not done any coding for 2600 or 7800.  I focus on the 8-bit line of Atari machines (for hobby), and have been full time coder as my day job for over 15 years now.  But that is what I describe as "boring business software".

Haha lol. ;)

Just asking... do you code in Assembly or some other coding language?

If it's assembly, I can help you learn the 2600 and 7800 if you want.

Edited by Ecernosoft

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Haha lol. ;)

Just asking... do you code in Assembly or some other coding language?

If it's assembly, I can help you learn the 2600 and 7800 if you want.

I try to do everything in asm these days, but if I just want to do a quick prototype I'll use Turbo BASIC XL.

I'm confused..

3 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Thanks.

Also, I will not say any more on this thread.

3 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

First of all, that was a mistake on my end.

[,,]

2 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Ecernosoft learned the rules of forums the hard way!

[..]

Thanks Stephen.

[..]

Haha lol. ;)

[..]

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

I appreciate that you have shown a willingness to accept feedback. As people are fond of saying in my industry, feedback is a gift.

In that spirit: what you do and how you act is who you really are. What you feel inside and who you see yourself as on the inside is important, but mostly insofar as it impacts how you treat other people.

I started posting in classic gaming newsgroups when I was 14 or 15. (A long long time ago, when I was one of the AOL kiddies that helped destroy usenet in the late 90s. My bad!) I also posted maybe too often, maybe overly enthusiastically, and did not always deal well with people who said things I didn’t like. I think I’ve improved at that somewhat, although I have posted around 5 times a day since I joined here so maybe not.

You are way ahead of where I was at that age. In fact, you are way ahead of where I am now as a game programmer. It’s awesome that you are actually making games. They seem pretty cool to me.

If you look around the forums, you will see plenty of grown adults who receive negative feedback very poorly. Pay attention to how people react to them. Sometimes they get banned, sometimes they become a subject of mockery, sometimes they quit the forums. It makes me sad to see any of these things happen to anybody. The variety of perspectives is what makes this interesting, even if some perspectives strike me as very strange.

You have mostly gotten a sympathetic and patient treatment from most of the posters here. I hope you continue to be met with mostly kindness. But I hope you can also be kinder and more considerate of other people on the forums too, especially people who are trying to help you.

• Like 2

I'll say this - I was a terrible game programmer at 14 and I'm still a terrible game programmer now - but my main magnum opus has been an emulator and I'm not sure I could've even fathomed the concept of writing something that complex when I was 14.

I'm autistic. Autism and ADHD do have a fair bit in common, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

@Ecernosoft  I thought you had stopped responding so I was tempting GaryH917  to get his feet wet with making his own games.

Still haven't found better options than what we already discussed privately.  Though, if your future involves modern consoles you might check out Defold as Nintendo Switch compiling is now free.

https://defold.com/manuals/nintendo-switch/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

@Ecernosoft  I thought you had stopped responding so I was tempting GaryH917  to get his feet wet with making his own games.

Still haven't found better options than what we already discussed privately.  Though, if your future involves modern consoles you might check out Defold as Nintendo Switch compiling is now free.

https://defold.com/manuals/nintendo-switch/

I stopped because I was being attacked. I appreciate the support.

17 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

I'll say this - I was a terrible game programmer at 14 and I'm still a terrible game programmer now - but my main magnum opus has been an emulator and I'm not sure I could've even fathomed the concept of writing something that complex when I was 14.

I'm autistic. Autism and ADHD do have a fair bit in common, for what it's worth.

I have ADHD. It’s not the same but it can mess with my focus and makes me spastic, but as a result I’m very good At math.

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I appreciate that you have shown a willingness to accept feedback. As people are fond of saying in my industry, feedback is a gift.

In that spirit: what you do and how you act is who you really are. What you feel inside and who you see yourself as on the inside is important, but mostly insofar as it impacts how you treat other people.

I started posting in classic gaming newsgroups when I was 14 or 15. (A long long time ago, when I was one of the AOL kiddies that helped destroy usenet in the late 90s. My bad!) I also posted maybe too often, maybe overly enthusiastically, and did not always deal well with people who said things I didn’t like. I think I’ve improved at that somewhat, although I have posted around 5 times a day since I joined here so maybe not.

You are way ahead of where I was at that age. In fact, you are way ahead of where I am now as a game programmer. It’s awesome that you are actually making games. They seem pretty cool to me.

If you look around the forums, you will see plenty of grown adults who receive negative feedback very poorly. Pay attention to how people react to them. Sometimes they get banned, sometimes they become a subject of mockery, sometimes they quit the forums. It makes me sad to see any of these things happen to anybody. The variety of perspectives is what makes this interesting, even if some perspectives strike me as very strange.

You have mostly gotten a sympathetic and patient treatment from most of the posters here. I hope you continue to be met with mostly kindness. But I hope you can also be kinder and more considerate of other people on the forums too, especially people who are trying to help you.

I agree. I’m trying to improbe

every day and the forums are helping me become that person. 

• Like 1