IGNORED

Bernie & the Tower of Doom [WIP]

Muddyfunster

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since we had a Bernie update...

There was a bug in the Bernie code that meant that the game would crash in specific circumstances. That bug is fixed and the game is now very stable. 

I had a few folks message me about Bernie - Bernie is not abandoned, he just took a back seat while A.R.T.I. was finished and while I worked on Wilf for a bit. Both Bernie and Wilf are active projects :) and new demos will be coming soon.

You can get the updated demo here

It should work with the usual suspects (A7800, Dragonfly, 7800GD, JS7800). It may also work on the 2600+. On other platforms, your mileage may vary.

On 7800GD be sure to disable <BREAK> functionality. Having <BREAK> enabled can cause issues with this game.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Bernie & The Tower of Doom on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 | LIVE @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day  <- PLEASE NOTE: TIME HAS BEEN UPDATED

Games:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, playsoft said:

Oh that's great! He does some fantastic games on the Speccy and was gracious enough to let me port one of them to the 5200/A8.

Yep, he's a great guy, very approachable and he has made some very great Speccy games. 

• Like 2

Heya @Muddyfunster!

We had a blast playing through Bernie and the Tower of Doom on the stream tonight! Loved the sneak preview at the end. 🙂

Found a small visual bug on Tower 3-4 when falling off the block in the screencap below where Bernie temporarily disappears. Other than that, it plays perfectly, no issues or crashes! So much fun.

- James

image.thumb.png.49dab86cb944cc6213f4e3c958d4b1ec.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks  for showing the fixed version on the show James,

I caught the stream this morning on catch up, it was a late night too many for me this week unfortunately so I couldn't be there to cheer you both on! :) 

I just wanted to add, this demo starts the player on tower 2 (Tower 1 is skipped for this demo as the focus was really on getting feedback on the other towers). 

Thanks for pointing out the glitch with the frame grab, that's really helpful for me to pinpoint possible causes. I'll add it to the (now much smaller) list of things to fix.

Also just noted on 2-5 you needed to restart, you can do a long hold of button 1 to restart the level (uses up a try). I'll add that to the in-game instructions.

(Toilet = Homage to Jet Set Willy and the great Matthew Smith).

[edit] Something else i picked up on, the drone that Queen Russet mentions is a noise, not a flying drone :) Once you defeat the tower (and smash the machine in the cutscene at the end) the drone is gone and the bridge gets fixed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2024 at 7:24 AM, Muddyfunster said:

On 7800GD be sure to disable <BREAK> functionality. Having <BREAK> enabled can cause issues with this game.

Sorry but not familiar with this. Could you please explain for a 7800GD newbie?

6 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Sorry but not familiar with this. Could you please explain for a 7800GD newbie?

From the "Games Not Running! Screen Glitching! Why?" thread:

Break Issues

One issue which will crop up from time to time is screen glitching when BREAK is enabled on the cart. BREAK is the functionality which allows you to return to the game menu with a controller button combination or apply cheats to the running game.

The way BREAK works is the cartridge takes over execution of the code from the game once per frame to do it's own thing and apply cheats and check for button presses. For some games this happens at a very crucial moment and causes graphical glitches. One common example is Ms Pac-Man (NTSC) and all it's mods, this game has very noticeable screen flickering / glitching with break enabled.

Until there is a work-around for specific games with issues the best option is to disable break for the game. This does mean you will not be able to enable any cheats (if they exist) and you will have to power-cycle to return to the game menu, but the game will be glitch free.

To disable break, press right trigger on a standard controller or B on a Mega7800 controller and press left / right where it says BREAK ENABLED to change this to BREAK DISABLED. Move down and hit START.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Time for a little Bernie update. 

The first "zone" (forest) is now pretty much complete with all the towers and levels for this zone now in the game (and a secret area or two 😉 ).

Most of the game mechanics are now in and working with just a couple of things still to add.

Lots of optimisation to the code has been done and a few bugs squashed :) 

So what's next? 

Well a new demo will be going into testing very soon and then released publicly and then I'll be building out a bunch of new levels for the additional zones (plus all the usual story stuff).

/TLDR

New demo soon.

Aiming for late summer completion. (August)

image.thumb.png.67fb9fa4806ee16bdf6da2a14bb7b12c.png

• Like 9

On 2/1/2023 at 5:25 AM, Muddyfunster said:

Originally, the opening story sequence was going to be quite different. Instead of Bernie and Mrs. B drinking tea in the kitchen, Bernie was going to be in the bath.

It didn't seem to work as well, so I changed to the kitchen idea. 

Here's the original prototype.

image.thumb.png.dcec114f101c864c4f233a98956a7e88.png

vs the scene in game

image.png.abf75ecb5ac6a3e4619754eccfd6c797.png

i mean this in the nicest way, like as in i feel nostalgic when i see this but...

your character reminds me of the mobile phone virtual pet game character Pou... i love it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i mean this in the nicest way, like as in i feel nostalgic when i see this but...

your character reminds me of the mobile phone virtual pet game character Pou... i love it....

Ha :) I had to google it as I wasn't familiar with that one. Maybe he's a distant cousin :D

On 5/28/2024 at 7:28 AM, Muddyfunster said:

Ha :) I had to google it as I wasn't familiar with that one. Maybe he's a distant cousin :D

fair enough, kinda a sign that i really am a young ass bih :D

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an Exclusive Update to Bernie & The Tower of Doom on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest Bernie Demo. This is the same demo that was shown on ZPH except the level skip has been disabled.

Summary of stuff

• Forest world is now complete, minus a little tweak here & there.
  • 4th Forest tower added with new elements and enemies
  • Various animated map elements
  • Submarine transit level added
  • 2nd world (Ocela) is added but is unplayable in this demo.
  • Additional chapter graphics for each zone.
  • Easter Eggs added
  • The usual minor glitches present.

Remember if you get stuck, a long button press resets the level.

Latest demo is on the first page

REMEMBER TO DISABLE BREAK FUNCTIONALITY ON 7800GD

• Like 8