IGNORED

Bernie & the Tower of Doom [WIP]

Muddyfunster

Like A.R.T.I. I totally forgot to update this thread. Bernie has been nominated for best original homebrew WIP.

1628629432_5thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards(2022)-Atari7800BestHomebrewWIP(Original).thumb.jpg.1305655010a6372c4dbdb64298982b17.jpg

Folks can check out all of the nominees across all platforms and vote here https://forums.atariage.com/topic/347449-5th-annual-atari-homebrew-awards-voting-information-discussion/

• Like 8

Thinking about Bernie & the Tower of Doom's future development.

I'd really like to add some music to the game, but music is not one of my strengths (far from it! - my past efforts were described along the lines of dentist drills, cats + hot pokers etc. you get the idea).

If anyone is interested in collaborating on the project from a musical perspective, preferably POKEY or POKEY via RMT then I'd love to hear from you. 

A version with Dual POKEY or even YM isn't out of the question either  ! :) 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 7:40 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Thinking about Bernie & the Tower of Doom's future development.

I'd really like to add some music to the game, but music is not one of my strengths (far from it! - my past efforts were described along the lines of dentist drills, cats + hot pokers etc. you get the idea).

If anyone is interested in collaborating on the project from a musical perspective, preferably POKEY or POKEY via RMT then I'd love to hear from you. 

A version with Dual POKEY or even YM isn't out of the question either  ! :) 

I’d still love to hear from anyone interested in a musical collaboration for Bernie and the Tower of Doom.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

What about asking synthpopalooza?

@Synthpopalooza is providing music for Bubble Bobble currently, though still may have interest and bandwidth for it.  @Eagle has put together some really impressive music demos. @NoelleAmelie did an absolutely amazing job with the music for Attack of the Petscii Robots.  And there still may be other individuals whose interest may be piqued.  Bernie and the Tower of Doom is already looking and playing wonderful, some great melodies would make it all the more richer.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 10:12 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

Hey, composer here who knows how to use Raster Music Tracker! I'd love to help with the project if someone hasn't already taken music duties.

Thanks Jaden, I'll shoot you a PM.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, Eagle said:

Thanks Eagle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

played this via Aragon on my firetv couldn't get running on my concerto 

It won't run on Concerto as it's a 256k ROM.

Concerto doesn't support anything larger that 144k. Concerto Expansion Module #1 should fix that when it becomes available.

38 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

It won't run on Concerto as it's a 256k ROM.

Concerto doesn't support anything larger that 144k. Concerto Expansion Module #1 should fix that when it becomes available.

ah thanks for that I got working  using aragon  and going to try on a7800

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

ah thanks for that I got working  using aragon  and going to try on a7800

No worries, 

It should work on most mature emulators including A7800, Bup, Argon and maybe the DS emulators.

It will also work on Mister, Dragonfly and 7800GD.

I'll have a new demo shorly with sfx and music.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muddyfunster said:

No worries, 

It should work on most mature emulators including A7800, Bup, Argon and maybe the DS emulators.

It will also work on Mister, Dragonfly and 7800GD.

I'll have a new demo shorly with sfx and music.

cool, still doesn't help me get past the first tower,guess I need to read instructions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bernie has had some work done. Mostly it's on the game engine, bug fixes, optimisations etc.

I have however been able to add some music. Thanks @miker for the banging tunes and thanks @RevEng for adding RMT support to 7800Basic.

A new demo will be available soon (tm) , but in the meantime, here's a WIP video showing some of the first tower training levels and some tower 2 levels. In the actual game, all story sequences can be skipped through. I've done that more slowly in the vid to give folks a chance to read and listen to the awesome music :) 

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Bernie & The Tower of Doom on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080P FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 3

A new demo of Bernie & the Tower of Doom is available !

This is public demo 2. This is to the demo that @ZeroPage Homebrew showcased on Friday's stream.

Changes since the last demo :

• Music! (The wonderful musical talents of @miker to thank for Bernie's superb musical score).
  • Some level balance changes and tweaks.

Note this is still early code (not much work has happened on Bernie as A.R.T.I. has been the focus), so there could be crashes or glitches!

Enjoy

Bernie_TOD_164.bas.a78

• Like 9