IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

re
http://ftp.whtech.com/Users/stephen/

That is splendid, many thanks. Finding something just right is proving quite hard and the clock is ticking. Dear Ciro has very kindly offered a subdomain for my content , which is another possibility. Right now github seems a possible repository. I'll post here when things are properly settled, but the wht content can remain forever if that's ok.

It has the advantage of being searchable and I can update the content as required. Many many thanks, that allows me time to do things properly.

Best wishes Stephen
  • Like 3

Have decided to start my own small website about my adventures with my 99

I was wondering if there was a source of stock (free to use) TI-99 related images available anywhere please?

Initially am just looking for an image of a console & peb for my holding page

Will try to make my own photos as well in the longer term

Many thanks

14 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Have decided to start my own small website about my adventures with my 99

I was wondering if there was a source of stock (free to use) TI-99 related images available anywhere please?

Initially am just looking for an image of a console & peb for my holding page

Will try to make my own photos as well in the longer term

Many thanks

I have never seen a specific repository of stock photos, as most of the web sites with the photos you're looking for took their own pictures and put them up. Setting up something for the more common items might not be a bad idea though. . .

I had one of those "aren't you glad you are too busy to quickly complete tasks" moments this week. 

Yesterday, I was searching for an empty 3-ring binder when I came across my old Sony Handycam DCR-PC100.  In the same plastic tub were a few digital tapes and 8MB memory sticks (and a PCMCIA card reader!) with vacation, wedding, and various other memories from 20+ years ago.  I never got around to transferring anything to a computer probably for lack of time and maybe even due to hard drive capacities/cost.

I started to refamiliarize myself with the device. Everything worked quite nicely except the batteries, no real surprise there.  Alas, I could not figure out how to transfer the files.  SVideo and composite did me no good.  I found a cable labeled "serial" that had a USB square connector that plugged into the camera but the other end was a 6-pin connector that didn't look familiar to me.  After fast-forwarding through a few of the tapes I started to get ready for bed and that's when it came to me:  could this be a firewire cable?   My old Shuttle SB51G Pentium 4 has firewire at the front of the case, like this: 

image.thumb.png.84c2d66c95ff1f4bface0d7440a33bea.png

A few weeks ago, I had torn down my SB51G with the intent of recycling it.  I had not yet wiped the hard drive so I put all the parts back together, fired up the PC, logged into Windows XP, and plugged the firewire cable into the port. I was pleasantly surprised that Windows Movie Maker launched and asked me how I wanted to capture the video from the camera!!  After mucking around a bit, I successfully transferred my first video and now I have another new project. ;)   Usually, I discover that I need something shortly after I get rid of it. Fortunately, this was not one of those times!! 

Here's a picture representative of the camera.  The 120x zoom was really fun to use during a trip to the Canadian Rockies. 

image.thumb.png.57353c26bec67b420b6fec835a2c9e0c.png

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I have never seen a specific repository of stock photos, as most of the web sites with the photos you're looking for took their own pictures and put them up. Setting up something for the more common items might not be a bad idea though. . .

I can take most of the pictures I want to use myself, which I'd be happy to add to a stock collection, but getting a nice image of a console/PEB/Screen combination for the homepage is the real problem

11 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

I can take most of the pictures I want to use myself, which I'd be happy to add to a stock collection, but getting a nice image of a console/PEB/Screen combination for the homepage is the real problem

Have taken a picture of one of my consoles for the homepage for now, sat it on a white sheet and stripped out the background of the image.

Will have to make a cardboard box lined with white paper or something for taking pictures of more stuff

21 hours ago, jrhodes said:

@OLD CS1 Seen this and thought of you.

ed6d83079daf5d51a2b476de9bc565c9550303ad2dd2c0503db204d55899a6f6_1.jpg.thumb.jpg.417d321b2d95458b2527bf2e838e2e83.jpg

True story.  I was walking the hallways of an organization which had hired me to run its mail servers.  I walk past two people, and as several seconds distanced us I hear, "Who's that?"  "Oh, that's our email guy."  "Is he any good?  I've never even heard of him."

Right.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 3:44 PM, OLD CS1 said:

True story.  I was walking the hallways of an organization which had hired me to run its mail servers.  I walk past two people, and as several seconds distanced us I hear, "Who's that?"  "Oh, that's our email guy."  "Is he any good?  I've never even heard of him."

Right.

I've run the spectrum of support, both as the 'computer guy' that talked to the users all the time and the 'BOFH' which talks to them less.  :)  My rep with the org is that I'm still 'the nice guy' so I get asked run to interference a lot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Anyone else experiencing error messages stating the forums are unavailable, try again in a few minutes?  Or errors like the one in the screenshot?

image.thumb.png.2d343c3566ceff01a18c04cc2d1ce323.png

Yes I have had some issues awhile ago trying to view the atariage site about 30 minutes ago on my laptop. But not now on my phone.

Another sad thing, but completely unrelated to us - Thomas Danneberg died on Sep 30, 2023. You don't know him, most Germans don't know his name, but they know well his voice. He was the dubbing voice of a whole bunch of artists:

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Sylvester Stallone

John Travolta

Terence Hill

Dan Aykroyd

Rutger Hauer

John Cleese

Nick Nolte

Adriano Celentano

David Soul

Randy and Dennis Quaid

It's somewhat funny to think about that, but all those artists were dubbed in German by the same man. Still, when you watch the films, you don't really notice it like "hey, isn't that the voice of Sylvester Stallone?" It's just incredible how those dubbing artists can modulate their voice to different people. Some of them also do radio commercials, so you may suddenly hear the dub voice of Bruce Willis telling you to get that electric drilling machine.

If you ask what happens when Schwarzenegger and Stallone meet in the same film, yes, sometimes Danneberg dubbed both of them (The Expendables), but in another one I don't remember right now, one had a different voice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Does anybody have any idea of what this Serial looking device is? It has this info on the back NCR 1987, CCI-1-0 9443, and 095-0322931A, and it has a male DB25 connector on one end and female one on the other . Seems to me it was some kind of data interface for testing or repairing Cash registers, but that is an assumption based on the name NCR. I just want to see if it has value before I do something to it, to give value to me. 

20231004_193438.jpg

20231004_195416.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
added content

Looks like you put it inline to the serial cable feeding the register and used the four LEDs to verify function of the four most critical signals to the register's operation.

I suspect the connector to the side would allow you to inject data from a tester that would generate specific light patterns if the system was working properly as well. . .

• Like 2

I am going to be out for a bit.  The next three weeks are going to be not a lot of fun as I have to find a replacement vehicle, and I will not know what kind of money I am working with for two weeks.  There is a lot of work to do in the meantime, and not just regarding my car.  I have one TI project I am still working on when I have a little free time... and, frankly, motivation, which is severely lacking right now.

3 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I am going to be out for a bit.  The next three weeks are going to be not a lot of fun as I have to find a replacement vehicle, and I will not know what kind of money I am working with for two weeks.  There is a lot of work to do in the meantime, and not just regarding my car.  I have one TI project I am still working on when I have a little free time... and, frankly, motivation, which is severely lacking right now.

Be careful, my friend. You know you can talk/vent to me any time.  :)

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Hope things get back on track soon my friend. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:51 AM, OLD CS1 said:

As my uncle Dennis once said: "Yer never as think as some drunkle peep you are"

That has nothing to do with your issues but maybe it gave you a chuckle.

Good luck with the vehicle and the rest so you can come back soon.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a rather long (50 min) YouTube video in a series describing the Apollo space mission core rope memory design and historical software recovery effort.  It's fascinating the innovative solutions that early designers came up with given the state of technology at the time.  Grab a cup of coffee for this one 🙂  Note at one point early in the video the huge printout of one of the programs.  

<From Hackaday.com>

Edited by FALCOR4
Included source
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1