IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

By the way, today I woke up with my second Covid infection. (Slightly sniffing nose, but again fever, could hardly sleep.)

The first one crushed my vacation in Naples in October 2022. Now, this time I'm at home, but this will become a very stripped-down version of New Years Eve.

• Sad 3

Our grocery store had fresh rhubarb available from somewhere (southern hemisphere?)  - the store helper was not too helpful in that regard - so I extended my 2023 indulgences for one more day to bake a rhubarb pie.  

For me, a rhubarb pie should not be adulterated by any other fruit, such as strawberry.  And it will be consumed alone and/or with some vanilla ice cream.  🙂  I can’t grow rhubarb in TX like I did in WI, so this is a fun treat to start the year. 

IMG_4711.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

• Like 7

There is no better chance to learn about German compounds than this clip about a girl who makes rhubarb cake. You don't need to understand German for it.

(Apart from that, I really love rhubarb, but the mere thought of it gives me a blunt feeling on my teeth.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Do you have a basement? Rhubarb can be grown in the dark.

No, there are no basements here in this part of the southern U.S.  That said, I was quite intrigued by your comment as I did not know that one could 'force' rhubarb or for that matter, other plants, to grow and produce in the dark. Picking rhubarb by candlelight seems like fun, too.  :)      https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/forcing-rhubarb/

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

No, there are no basements here in this part of the southern U.S.  That said, I was quite intrigued by your comment as I did not know that one could 'force' rhubarb or for that matter, other plants, to grow and produce in the dark. Picking rhubarb by candlelight seems like fun, too.  :)      https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/forcing-rhubarb/

It grows so fast that you can hear it.

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

I got the discs. no, I got the disks. 

You mean, you left the discuses!!

It's all here

https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/disc-vs-disk-what-is-difference

I generally follow the de facto convention near the end of the article.  I also tend to use the word "buss" for things like a collection of data signals, &c.  While I have seen the word used in numerous places over time, in particular in old electronics books I read in my elementary school library during my formative years, I am told the correct word should be "bus."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I also tend to use the word "buss" for things like a collection of data signals, &c.  While I have seen the word used in numerous places over time, in particular in old electronics books I read in my elementary school library during my formative years, I am told the correct word should be "bus."

I rather enjoy a nice buss on the lips, but I sure wouldn't want to have a bus on my lips!

• Haha 5

Just now, Tursi said:

Rhubarb grew wild in the town I grew up in in British Columbia ;)

I grow it in my greenhouse. Strawberry rhubarb is one of my favorites. I have a root cellar behind my greenhouse that's perfect for forcing growth in early spring.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

Rhubarb grew wild in the town I grew up in in British Columbia ;)

I love rhubarb, especially on pancakes!

🥞

Rhubarb pancake syrup:

8 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups water
2 cups sugar

Start by adding the rhubarb and water to a pot and simmer. Use a fork to mash the rhubarb as it softens.
Strain it with a sieve and return the rhubarb water back to the pot.
Add the sugar, heating until it dissolves.
Let the syrup cool completely before pouring it into jars or bottles for storing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

I love rhubarb, especially on pancakes!

🥞

Rhubarb pancake syrup:

8 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups water
2 cups sugar

Start by adding the rhubarb and water to a pot and simmer. Use a fork to mash the rhubarb as it softens.
Strain it with a sieve and return the rhubarb water back to the pot.
Add the sugar, heating until it dissolves.
Let the syrup cool completely before pouring it into jars or bottles for storing.

I am now thinking about Rhubarb Maple Syrup. Pricey but could be tasty as well.

• Like 2