IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Not really off-topic, but more of a random thought with nowhere else to go; not worth its own thread, in my estimation.  I am seeing a lot of common cartridges coming up on eBay for outlandish prices.  I have spent no more than $2 each for commons, just to get the cases.  On a couple occasions, I have re-built carts I tore down to help someone out.

Is there a relatively endless supply of commons out there sufficient to eschew them at $4 or $5 each?  Are there few enough to support prices of $4 or $5 each?

Remembering I am speaking of just the shells, are we coming to a point where having new shells produced would be worth the initial out-lay for injection molds?  Would it be worth it for colors alternative to the traditional black and beige?  How are these Commodore and Atari people getting theirs produced without having to sell for a king's ransom?

I reject 3D printing for production because it looks non-professional and not worthy of a quality product.  3D printing is great for prototyping, but I loath it for a product.  So this perspective is irrelevant to my supposition.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Non proprio fuori tema, ma più un pensiero casuale senza nessun altro posto dove andare; non vale il suo thread, a mio avviso. Vedo molte cartucce comuni in arrivo su eBay a prezzi stravaganti. Non ho speso più di 2 dollari ciascuno per i beni comuni, solo per ottenere le casse. In un paio di occasioni ho ricostruito i carri che avevo demolito per aiutare qualcuno.

C’è un’offerta relativamente infinita di beni comuni là fuori sufficiente per evitarli a $ 4 o $ 5 ciascuno? Ce ne sono abbastanza pochi da sostenere prezzi di 4 o 5 dollari ciascuno?

Ricordando che sto parlando solo dei gusci, stiamo arrivando a un punto in cui produrre nuovi gusci varrebbe la spesa iniziale per gli stampi a iniezione? Ne varrebbe la pena per colori alternativi ai tradizionali nero e beige? Come fanno questi Commodore e Atari a produrre i loro prodotti senza doverli vendere per un riscatto regale?

Rifiuto la stampa 3D per la produzione perché sembra non professionale e non degna di un prodotto di qualità. La stampa 3D è ottima per la prototipazione, ma la detesto per un prodotto. Quindi questa prospettiva è irrilevante per la mia supposizione.

I fully agree👍🏻

38 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Remembering I am speaking of just the shells, are we coming to a point where having new shells produced would be worth the initial out-lay for injection molds?  Would it be worth it for colors alternative to the traditional black and beige?

Jim (@Ksarul) was working on that a few years ago. I guess he has either abandoned the project or relegated it to a far back burner.

...lee

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Serafini Lapo said:

Thanks Old cs1.. you know that I use Google translator right?🤣🤣

Absolutely.  Who does not use it?  Way back in the day, we had a plug-in in AmIRC which could send text to Google for translation.  Neat stuff, but often times translation one-way does not come back the other way.  It is a little scary how good the Google translate is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

Jim (@Ksarul) was working on that a few years ago. I guess he has either abandoned the project or relegated it to a far back burner.

...lee

I have a set of cartridge molds to vacuum-cast shells, but the cost to make a shell that way was somewhere in the$2.50 to $3.00 range back when I tested the method. I suspect the resin is a bit more expensive now, but that would still be less than the current cost for common carts on eBay. The biggest problem with doing the vacuum-cast shells is the time it takes, as each set takes about an hour from start to finish (most of that is in the vacuum tank, so my time is mostly setting up the molds, filling them, dropping the assembly carefully into the tank, pressurizing it, and letting it sit for 30-40 minutes to cure). My time is thus about 20 minutes of work per set. No problem at all for low-volume personal use, but definitely not good for high-volume use.

The last time I looked at getting a set of professional molds done, it would have been a few thousand dollars to get the molds made, but the cost per shell set would have been very low. I had a contact that was willing to interface with the factory to get them at a somewhat better price, but his job at that company ended before we could discuss it in depth.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

An error was made in this headline.

Link

Those responsible for it have been  sack.

My inner almost-six-year-old loved that.  But the adult in me says...

Last year was, by all accounts, a bloodbath for the tech industry, with more than 260,000 jobs vanishing — the worst 12 months for Silicon Valley since the dot-com crash of the early 2000s.

Yeah, because the tech industry, once again, built a couple of bubbles, irrespective of the warnings of the grey-beards who survived at least the last bubble.  But, each generation has to learn its lesson. The lesson the grey-beards need to learn is, while spitting truth, invest in the bubble ventures and make money off their lunacy.  Shake your head at them, but walk away richer.

• Like 3