IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

21 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I know i just posted yesterday, but...

Take a gander at this. I've done my share of sketchy 💩, but this... Why?!

Hide contents

423194756_350996201065376_3882938630050332676_n.thumb.jpg.2e610554fc01d09c66f97855c7e31fae.jpg

They do make adapters you know.

Sometimes it takes two socket adapters:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a little bit bummed this evening.  Ordered a Raspberry PI 5 on December 2nd.  It shipped two weeks ago from Canada and arrived today.  Last night, a stray dog showed up at the house.  This afternoon, the UPS delivered the package to my doorstep.  The dog got the package, and I found parts of the kit scattered near my front porch.  Two HDMI cables destoyed and the cooling fan destroyed.  I have spare cables I can use for HDMI, however the cooling fan was crunched up and was modified slightly to work with the new PI-5 box.

I should have a new cooling fan Friday.

Fortunately, the 128 GB card, heatsink, case, PI5, and power supply did not get chewed up.

Trying to get the pound to get the dog now before I take other measures.

• Sad 4

51 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I'm a little bit bummed this evening.  Ordered a Raspberry PI 5 on December 2nd.  It shipped two weeks ago from Canada and arrived today.  Last night, a stray dog showed up at the house.  This afternoon, the UPS delivered the package to my doorstep.  The dog got the package, and I found parts of the kit scattered near my front porch.  Two HDMI cables destoyed and the cooling fan destroyed.  I have spare cables I can use for HDMI, however the cooling fan was crunched up and was modified slightly to work with the new PI-5 box.

I should have a new cooling fan Friday.

Fortunately, the 128 GB card, heatsink, case, PI5, and power supply did not get chewed up.

.22 magnum?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, dhe said:

And I thought code critiques could be hard here on Atariage! 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.23cc6cbd13e726a663ce32ef964e5815.png

Honestly. when Linus passes, Linux dies.

4 hours ago, 9640News said:

Sure it was stray?  If it has an owner, you could go after them for damages.  Oh, and small claims court is also an option.  My internal conflict is I am both quick to anger and litigious.

• Like 1

By the way, last week I took some TI topics as exam tasks in Computer Architecture (not the only ones, of course) 🙂. I'm busily correcting them these days.

- Showing the students the package of a TMS4116 with pin assignments and let them find out whether this is SRAM or DRAM, the memory organization, and how to use them for an 8-bit data bus

- Showing the timing diagrams for a GROM, asking them to describe how to access them.

(Well, and in average, they did not do really well...)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 9640News said:

That's what I felt like, but he may just take a road trip with the tailgate down hoping he will accidentally run away when i stop somewhere.

Now now... It's odd that a true stray dog would tear into a package that does not have any food in it or smells of food. This is the kind of behavior you would see from a household dog, so my bet is that it has an owner or it was abandoned, Perhaps put a little food and water for it outside and let the local pound handle it. It might even be chipped.

Yes yes, I'm a softy but I don't think we should add more misery to this wretched world. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Does anyone have a email for Owen Brand, or another way besides PM to contact him?

Have something I wanted to ask him concerning a project of his, but he's not been on the forum in awhile.

He's on Facebook If you have Facebook..

Sent you a pm

Edited by GDMike
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Now now... It's odd that a true stray dog would tear into a package that does not have any food in it or smells of food. This is the kind of behavior you would see from a household dog, so my bet is that it has an owner or it was abandoned, Perhaps put a little food and water for it outside and let the local pound handle it. It might even be chipped.

Yes yes, I'm a softy but I don't think we should add more misery to this wretched world. 

Yes, that is what happened. The pound picked her up but not before my said she liked the dog and was already considering ways to keep it. 

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

Yes, that is what happened. The pound picked her up but not before my said she liked the dog and was already considering ways to keep it. 

Oh oh... You're in trouble... You might have bought yourself a new pet! 😁

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Yes, it did seem a somewhat strange thing to be auctioning off ...  ;-/

Well as you've just demonstrated, we can have our cake and eat it too. We can copy the photos from ebay and have the same pictures that they're auctioning off, only without the material photo paper, the pics are printed on:)

• Haha 1

Sort of on-topic:

I follow what Karl Guttag is doing these days.  Today it's the teardown of Apple Vision Pro.  At KGonTech.com, see  Karl Guttag's blog post on AVP today. 

Series of blog posts written June 2023, on the AVP as shown in the Apple Event. Compares AVP to other VR. 

Karl Guttag was known for the 9995, 9918 and many other chips over the years.  He wrote a blog post about his work on graphics in the 1980s, beginning with the TMS34010. 

Catadioptric Lenses

Today's blog post links to Part 4 of that series, the Pancake Optics, a term for catadioptric lenses. 

(Super smart guy. So I noticed how Karl expresses his limits, in this sentence in Part 4)

It is one thing for me, with an MSEE who picked up some optics through my industry exposure, to try and figure out what is going on with a given optical design; it is something else to have the analysis from a company that has designed that type of optics. So once again, I would recommend reading the whole article on Hypervision’s site.