IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

The HTTP 418 I'm a teapot client error response code indicates that the server refuses to brew coffee because it is, permanently, a teapot. A combined coffee/tea pot that is temporarily out of coffee should instead return 503. This error is a reference to Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol defined in April Fools' jokes in 1998 and 2014.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/418

• Haha 1

Like finding lost treasure.  I combined this cartridge back in the 80's because at the time I was using these cartridges the most during programming.  I located it again years ago, but it was subsequently misplaced in a move.  Rummaging through boxes I found it again! It's not so significant anymore with all the new cartridge choices we have but it was handy BITD.  Just sharing for the fun of it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FALCOR4 said:

Like finding lost treasure.  I combined this cartridge back in the 80's because at the time I was using these cartridges the most during programming.  I located it again years ago, but it was subsequently misplaced in a move.  Rummaging through boxes I found it again! It's not so significant anymore with all the new cartridge choices we have but it was handy BITD.  Just sharing for the fun of it.

Is that a regular MG GramKracker next to the TI or is that a side car version?

ChatGPT ... I recently asked it whether it could prove the divergence of the harmonic series. For those who don't ask themselves such relevant questions each day, the harmonic series is the sum 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 ... The question is whether this sum goes to infinity or not. To compare, the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... converges to (1.11111...)2 which is equal to 2.

It actually delivered a text that looked like a proof. It suggested to take rectangles with edges 1 and x, where x is 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc. Then it argued that the area of all those rectangles put together does not converge. This is nonsense, since it implies the claim, so I told it that this is not a correct proof, as we don't know whether the size of the area diverges.

So it apologized and delivered a new proof using integrals. Actually, this was not at the proper time of day for me to do integral calculations, so I did not further check it.

---

The actual proof is already well-known since the 14th century. You can collect the parts of the sum in this way:

n = 1 + 1/2 + (1/3 + 1/4) + (1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8) + (1/9 + ... + 1/16) + ...

Each bracketed term is greater than 1/2, as each one has 2m terms, and the smallest one at the end is 1/2m-1, which delivers an infinite amount of 1/2 summed up.

---

ChatGPT seems to me at some times like an over-confident mediocre student who tries to sell you some half-truths. Unlike a student, it does not flush and get unsure when you tell it that this was nonsense.

• Like 2

I don't think ChatGPT is well suited for either programming or mathematical work in general except perhaps for very narrow problems.

In medicine however, it's ability to find connections between an array of symptomatology and specific conditions has been found to be very helpful in expanding the differential diagnosis in problematic or atypical cases and provide a path for further investigations. This was demonstrated at a recent Grand Rounds (this is a time-honored medical tradition somewhat akin to a weekly TED talk) and it was frankly impressive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I don't think ChatGPT is well suited for either programming or mathematical work in general except perhaps for very narrow problems.

In medicine however, it's ability to find connections between an array of symptomatology and specific conditions has been found to be very helpful in expanding the differential diagnosis in problematic or atypical cases and provide a path for further investigations. This was demonstrated at a recent Grand Rounds (this is a time-honored medical tradition somewhat akin to a weekly TED talk) and it was frankly impressive. 

And it's just getting started...

Google’s New Medical AI Passes Medical Exam and Outperforms Actual Doctors - Artisana

Imagine five years out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBF said:

Imagine five years out.

Google will have access to the personal medical records of everyone who steps into a doctor's office, whether you want it or not.  You know, for the greater good.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Google will have access to the personal medical records of everyone who steps into a doctor's office, whether you want it or not.  You know, for the greater good.

Umm... we already ...

I mean they already do.

Google, has been meaning to talk to you about that rash... 😎

• Haha 2

I looked up recipes for "poor man's chili" and honestly, they don't come close to what I had as "chili" when our family was strapped for cash.

Ours was basically black beans with a drop of liquid smoke (if we had it) and imitation bacon bits, and each person added to their own bowl (to taste, if available):

Ketchup, tobasco, crumbled toast / oyster crackers.

Edited by jrhodes