IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

jump to 18:55 ????

On the video, too hard to understand for me, because of the language, and I don´t know the political bakgrounds to understand that....

and they´re talking very fast......

but no prob, I just was nosy :) thx

• Like 1

The upshot is that “Drumpf” is reported to be (perhaps erroneously) Trump's real surname! I'm disappointed that my guess was probably wrong because Trump epitomizes the thesis of Steve Allen's book, Dumbth.

...lee

[Edits above per Michael Zapf's post below.]

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 2

And I haven't found any references to Drumpf as anything but as a surname in German, so the original local meaning may have been lost. I'll have to dig into some of my older German dictionaries and see if anything shows up there. Somewhere in my books I've got a good set of old 15th century German words that you don't see at all anymore. . .

The upshot is that “Drumpf” is Trump's real surname!

I just found that this seems to be a legend ... indeed, his grandfather was Friedrich Trump, born in Kallstadt, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. In the US Immigration Records he was mentioned as "Trumpf", never "Drumpf".

"Trumpf" would have been the most likely German version, since there is a pretty regular correspondence between T/Z and P/PF for English/German (as with my last name "Zapf" which could be akin to English "Tap").

In fact, if his name had been "Trumpf", the people would have called him "Trump" in the local dialect.

Note that "Trumpf" is also known from card games, and it is also "Trump" in English.

• Like 1

I've actually been wanting one for a while, but they are super expensive for some reason on Ebay and frankly I'm not sure what I would really do with it :) It would be fun to play with for a little bit but then it will end up in the closet, so I really can't justify to usual $150-250 asking price... I just don't have the collector gene!

OK, I'm back from my trip to the Alps (Mittersill near Kitzbühel). Lots of snow, did not even expect that much in these non-winters of the recent years.

And I had a four hours ride on the Autobahn. Unfortunately, there were many speed limits today, quite some traffic, I had to keep below 120 km/h on most parts (75 mph). I'm not really a racer, but I have to admit there's some fun when you can go by 160 km/h (100 mph) for at least some minutes.

I recently heard that there are indeed trips to Germany that include car rental for an Autobahn ride ... (which sounds bizarre to many people who are just happy to leave them sound and safe again) ;-)

post-35000-0-92146300-1457818541_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I recently heard that there are indeed trips to Germany that include car rental for an Autobahn ride ... (which sounds bizarre to many people who are just happy to leave them sound and safe again) ;-)

Wow, Michael! Your idiomatic English is usually much better than this. You're close; but, it's “safe and sound” :P —unless you mean something I missed. :-o

...lee

Wow, Michael! Your idiomatic English is usually much better than this. You're close; but, it's “safe and sound” :P —unless you mean something I missed. :-o

Hehe ... you're right, of course ... I started with "save", thought, no, must be "safe", then "Capital Cities" started their song "Safe and sound" in my head, and I added it on the wrong side. :) It's akin to the German idiom "gesund und munter" which would look strange if written as "munter und gesund".

(I really miss a Stop button in my head...)

• Like 3