IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

... I suspect that the 1cm thick steel plate that I bolted to the basement ceiling to absorb random flash/flame output is still in the house too--it was about one square meter in size, and perfect for the task. I found it in an old steel mill and had a devil of a time lugging it the two miles back to my house (I balanced it on my bicycle seat and walked the bike home), ...

Wow! At 170+ pounds, that is impressive! :o

...lee

I really wanted to take the plate with me when I moved out, but the work involved in bolting it to the ceiling joists was not something I was interested in repeating for the removal. The weight of that monster was probably sufficient to dissuade any subsequent inhabitants of the house from messing with it. . .

I need a Gremlin exterminator! It seems that the refrigerator has decided that it doesn't want to dispense anything - the lever won't move. Also the water dispenser doesn't work. But, that was yesterday and today everything has started working again.

Then, one of my disk drives refused to work but today seems to be fine (I'm still going to replace it).

The only thing the I can figure out is that there are Gremlins in the machinery. Anyone know how to exterminate them? :grin:

I need a Gremlin exterminator! It seems that the refrigerator has decided that it doesn't want to dispense anything - the lever won't move. Also the water dispenser doesn't work. But, that was yesterday and today everything has started working again.

Then, one of my disk drives refused to work but today seems to be fine (I'm still going to replace it).

The only thing the I can figure out is that there are Gremlins in the machinery. Anyone know how to exterminate them? :grin:

It's best to leave them in Evanston or wherever the most recent TI gathering was held ;)

• Like 1

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

• Like 4

Just to remind, I don't know how well-known this cliché still is: German tourists are infamous for putting their towels on sunloungers early in the morning, as if casting a non-touchable protective spell on them. (It does not apply for me, since I am not the typical pool or beach tourist.)

• Like 1

Just to remind, I don't know how well-known this cliché still is: German tourists are infamous for putting their towels on sunloungers early in the morning, as if casting a non-touchable protective spell on them. (It does not apply for me, since I am not the typical pool or beach tourist.)

While I have heard the joke, this happens on US beaches, as well, and is not limited to German tourists. I still got a good chuckle.

The towel thin isnt limited to Germans. Its happens every day at any popular Vegas hotel pool. Tourists go down on the morning and put a towel, book, or something on a chair to save it then go back to sleep and come back later.

Yup. I did that while vacationing with the family in St. Thomas. Would get down to the beach early morning and stake a few lounge chairs on the first row with towels. Amazing what $20 would get you from the beach attendant ;)

• Like 1

Is this real... or conjured? (only search result).

Oh and... by the way, does anyone know if Saddam Hussein attended Ithaca State? :) Seriously...

The fact is that one of the main experiments, a device drilling into the soil of Mars, equipped with various sensors, comes from the DLR (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt = German center for aeronautics and space). The towel is a joke on the mentioned tourist behavior.

• Like 4