IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

The Commodore 64 version runs fine in 64k. Looks pretty terrible, though. I think it could be done better on the TI with 32k "executable" RAM and 16k graphics RAM. We really have 48k RAM. I think the memory available in a cartridge gives a little more edge, too. If more memory is needed then disk based could use the SAMS.

• Like 4

My grandmother probably built that train (or some of the pieces from the set). She worked on the assembly lines at Marx for most of her working life--right up to the point where they closed the factory (three years before she was eligible to retire).

That brings back some nice memories too, as she always brought lots of interesting Marx toys home for us to play with as I was growing up. Some of those would probably get kids killed today, like the bolt-action Marx Big Horn cap rifle with plastic bullets that looked like they'd fit nicely into a hunting rifle. It would even eject the shells when you operated the bolt. . . and it was way too close to a real weapon in appearance for comfort in today's world. It is about halfway down the page in the link. What is funny is the current rarity of the toy--we had five of the sets in the house when I was growing up (I had one of them nicely preserved until I went into the military and my younger brothers found it and destroyed it). I suspect that if it had survived, my kids might want to play with it too--so maybe it is a good thing that it didn't. LOL

• Like 3

A lot of vintage toys were potentially very dangerous by today's norms. I remember some of the chemistry sets I owned while growing up... Open flame burner, caustic chemicals and fumes etc... Absolutely terrific fun!!! I'm not going to even mention the countless cuts I got trying to pry open those tin mechanical toys with my mother's spoons. I don't think we had many straight spoons in our household...

• Like 3

Should I check for inspector initials, Ksarul? :) The one thing I missed while setting up the Marx train was the corrugated cardboard box. My dad threw it away due to some bug damage. One of my fond memories was being allowed to bring the box out of the closet, pull out all the track, and set it up on the living room floor. Invariably, I would push the engine too fast and run it off the track, eliciting a few choice comments like, "that's not a toy!"

I remember having chemical sets with bunsen burners, test tubes, and heaven only knows what nasty combinations we survived. Mine came from garage sales and had no experimentation manuals, so it was all up to our imagination.

My chemistry set had all kinds of truly terrifying things in it, from a safety standpoint. But then again, a lot of those things were jars of what I considered to be "interesting" chemicals, some of which contained asbestos, mercury, arsenic, and various metal powders in truly hazardous amounts. I used them up and survived the experience, so that part is a good thing. I suspect that the 1cm thick steel plate that I bolted to the basement ceiling to absorb random flash/flame output is still in the house too--it was about one square meter in size, and perfect for the task. I found it in an old steel mill and had a devil of a time lugging it the two miles back to my house (I balanced it on my bicycle seat and walked the bike home), but it was a perfect way to make sure I didn't accidentally burn the house down.

• Like 1

My chemistry set had all kinds of truly terrifying things in it, from a safety standpoint. But then again, a lot of those things were jars of what I considered to be "interesting" chemicals, some of which contained asbestos, mercury, arsenic, and various metal powders in truly hazardous amounts. I used them up and survived the experience, so that part is a good thing. I suspect that the 1cm thick steel plate that I bolted to the basement ceiling to absorb random flash/flame output is still in the house too--it was about one square meter in size, and perfect for the task. I found it in an old steel mill and had a devil of a time lugging it the two miles back to my house (I balanced it on my bicycle seat and walked the bike home), but it was a perfect way to make sure I didn't accidentally burn the house down.

Damn Jim!

The metal bucket that was my test stand for directing the flame in the proper direction was a great help too. I hung a plumb line from the center of the plate and used it to paint a placement point for the bucket on the concrete floor. The best failed experiment of all filled the entire basement with a dense cloud of white smoke, which then proceeded to fill the first three feet of the ground floor of the house too. My mom panicked (she was vacuuming the living room) and ran for the basement stairs to turn off the power (she though the house was on fire, as the first indication of a problem on that level was the smoke pouring out of the power outlets). She ran into me coming up the stairs--and I had to calm her down (and let her know that I was the culprit). Amazing what a quarter tea spoon full of that mixture would do. I used it to make some fantastic smoke bombs until I ran out of the materials I used to make it. . .it was so hot when it burned that it would score a slight concavity into concrete, so I had to be really careful when placing it for use. Asphalt would have been really bad. . .