IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I spent a good part of the day looking for something to buy, that surprisingly does NOT exist... BUT SHOULD! (at least I couldn't find one)

All I want is a WiFi hard drive than I can plug into my Smart TV's USB port. I'd like to backup ALL of my movies and make them available to my Smart TV.

Imagine every time you finish making a video, or copying a movie, being able to instantly send it the HD/TV. Right now, if I want to watch a movie on the Smart TV, I need to use the sneaker net method of removing the USB memory stick from the other room, walking it to the Den, insert it into the PC, copy everything I want over, then taking it back to the TV. Well that is time consuming and slow.

I imagine a device that you take out of the box...

1) Plug it into your PC, enter the network ID and password.
2) Unplug the HD from your PC.
3) Plug the power cable into the hard drive.
4) Plug the HD into your Smart TV.
That's it, now your Smart TV could read the HD for video, photos and audio files.

I spent a good part of the day looking for something to buy, that surprisingly does NOT exist... BUT SHOULD! (at least I couldn't find one)

All I want is a WiFi hard drive than I can plug into my Smart TV's USB port. I'd like to backup ALL of my movies and make them available to my Smart TV.

Imagine every time you finish making a video, or copying a movie, being able to instantly send it the HD/TV. Right now, if I want to watch a movie on the Smart TV, I need to use the sneaker net method of removing the USB memory stick from the other room, walking it to the Den, insert it into the PC, copy everything I want over, then taking it back to the TV. Well that is time consuming and slow.

That's it, now your Smart TV could read the HD for video, photos and audio files.

As an option you might check out using a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC media center. An inexpensive option that can stream videos from your home network to your TV as well as many online streaming plugins. It can be controlled by a wireless keyboard, android or ios phone, or by your TV remote if HDMI-CEC enabled.

• Like 2

Um... what?

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Portable-Built-STCK1000100/dp/B00AQRUW4Q

Yeah, same issue I've been coming up against. My Sony only recognizes media via the USB port and will not access network drives. I was also hoping to use the built-in media access controls in the TV so I didn't have to screw with yet another keyboard, remote control or yet another piece of hardware.

I can and do stream media via WiFI to the TV from other APPS like Netflix, but sometimes I just want something I already have that is readily available. My hope was to eliminate yet another convoluted setup, because I already have...

On the HDMI inputs...

... one RPi 3B+ hooked up to it (used only as a browser).

... a Chromecast hooked up, even though the TV has those capabilities, but it's easier in some respects.

... a DVD player (that gets little use).

... all hooked together via a Kinivo auto-switcher

The other stuff like the 5200 only uses the RF input so does not really apply.

As an option you might check out using a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC media center. An inexpensive option that can stream videos from your home network to your TV as well as many online streaming plugins. It can be controlled by a wireless keyboard, android or ios phone, or by your TV remote if HDMI-CEC enabled.

Yeah, OpenELEC, I looked into that, but I'd have to get yet another RPi (I really don't want four), or I'd have re-task the one I'm currently using on the TV or I'd forever be switching microSD cards between OpenELEC and Raspian.

The other option would require me leaving my computer on all the time, because I don't have a network drive hooked to the router. I may end up sticking with the sneaker net method.

Yeah, OpenELEC, I looked into that, but I'd have to get yet another RPi (I really don't want four), or I'd have re-task the one I'm currently using on the TV or I'd forever be switching microSD cards between OpenELEC and Raspian.

The other option would require me leaving my computer on all the time, because I don't have a network drive hooked to the router. I may end up sticking with the sneaker net method.

If you already have an RPI on the TV just connect a usb external drive to it and load the media files there. Use VLC, OMXPlayer or any other video player. You can install Samba and share the video folder out to your LAN. That way when your are working with video on your PC you can save a copy of the file to the RPI external drive then walk over to the TV and play it.

Install Samba: (Note: This is what I loaded on the TIPI so I can drag and drop files to the TIPI folders from my PC)

https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-share-a-folder-with-a-windows-computer-from-a-raspberry-pi/

Edited by twoodland
  • Like 1

If you already have an RPI on the TV just connect a usb external drive to it and load the media files there. Use VLC, OMXPlayer or any other video player. You can install Samba and share the video folder out to your LAN. That way when your are working with video on your PC you can save a copy of the file to the RPI external drive then walk over to the TV and play it.

Install Samba: (Note: This is what I loaded on the TIPI so I can drag and drop files to the TIPI folders from my PC)

https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-share-a-folder-with-a-windows-computer-from-a-raspberry-pi/

tipi comes pre-configured with samba sharing the tipi_disk folder

• Like 1

tipi comes pre-configured with samba sharing the tipi_disk folder

Since I run a domain and not a generic workgroup, I had to configure the file as described in the link I mentioned. But that is great that it is loaded and pre-configured!

Edited by twoodland
  • Like 1

just too bad it made my system unreliable.. I can only assume it was drooping the cards somewhat..

Weird. I've been running mine as a tower for years and have never had a problem... except for that that one time before I added rubber feet to the case. That damn screw scratched the hell out of the wood.

Windows 10 is irritating and severely interrupted my "TI time " today. Finally, on the third try the software behaved as written and completed the task. Still, for some strange and unknown reason the software will not let me print in booklet form, but on my Windows 7 machine the same exact software from the same freaking install CD does.

'Crypto Hangover' Hammers Nvidia’s Outlook, Shares Drop 17 Percent

November 16, 2018

By Munsif Vengattil and Stephen Nellis

(Reuters) – Chip designer Nvidia Corp <NVDA.O> on Thursday forecast disappointing sales for the holiday quarter, pinning the blame on unsold chips piling up with distributors and retailers after the evaporation of the cryptocurrency mining boom.

The Santa Clara, California-based company also posted sales that missed expectations for its third quarter. Shares plunged nearly 17 percent in late trading to $168.32.

For decades, Nvidia has supplied gaming cards to boost computer graphics, but in recent years cryptocurrency miners adopted the company’s cards to turn bits into wealth.

Chief Executive Jensen Huang said prices for Nvidia’s gaming cards had risen with the cryptocurrency frenzy, driving some buyers away. As the frenzy receded and card prices came down, Nvidia expected sales volumes to grow again as buyers who were priced out came back.

But that process was slower than Nvidia expected, Huang said, saying he expects inventories to be at normal levels by the end of the current quarter.

“The crypto hangover lasted longer than we expected,” Huang said on a conference call. “We thought we had done a better job managing the cryptocurrency dynamics,” he later added.

As a result, Nvidia stopped shipping some of its mid-priced chips to retailers, where they are stacking up in warehouses and the backs of stores. The company said its provision for inventories expanded more than five-fold in the fiscal third quarter to $70 million, and that the same provision had more than tripled for the first nine months of its fiscal year to $124 million.

The provisions for inventory lowered Nvidia’s gross margins by 1.8 percentage points in the quarter to 60.4 percent, though margins were still up from 59.5 percent a year earlier. Margins were also held down by $57 million in charges related to its previous generations of chips following the sharp fall-off in cryptocurrency mining demand.

Nvidia also said that its revenue derived from personal computer makers decreased by almost 40 percent because of lower demand for GPU products targeted for use in cryptocurrency mining.

Nvidia said it expected current-quarter revenue of $2.7 billion, plus or minus 2 percent, well below analysts’ average estimate of $3.40 billion, according to IBES data from Refinitiv.

Kinngai Chan, analyst at Summit Insights Group, said the problem was that inventories of Nvidia’s older gaming chips, based on a technology it calls Pascal, were piling up even as demand for new chips released in August was weaker than expected. Chan also said demand was faltering for Nvidia’s chips in data centers, where they are often used for artificial intelligence work such as teaching computers to recognize images.

“But we too are surprised at the below-$3 billion outlook” for the fourth quarter, Chan said.

The trade conflict between the United States and China may also be weighing on Nvidia, analysts said. Tariffs on many Chinese-made goods will rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1.

“Nvidia’s inventory build-up is suggesting that the escalating tariffs have started to pinch producers,” said Haris Anwar, analyst at Investing.com.

In an interview with Reuters, Huang said tariffs were “not really a factor” and that the fallout from the cryptocurrency decline was the sole reason for the inventory build.

Last month, rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc <AMD.O> blamed dwindling demand for chips from cryptocurrency miners for its lower-than-expected fourth-quarter revenue forecast. AMD’s shares sank 7 percent after Nvidia posted results after the market closed Thursday. Shares of chipmaker Micron Technology Inc <MU.O>, which sells memory to Nvidia for its gaming cards, sank 3.3 percent in late trading.

Revenue from Nvidia’s closely watched data center chips business rose 58 percent to $792 million, but missed analysts’ estimate of $820.4 million, according to FactSet.

The business powers cloud computing services of customers including Amazon.com Inc’s <AMZN.O> Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Corp’s <MSFT.O> Azure as well as Alphabet Inc’s <GOOGL.O> Google Cloud.

During the investor call, analysts noted that those companies seem to be slowing their overall spending on data centers. Huang told Reuters that the specific uses for Nvidia’s chips such as machine learning were still expanding.

“Our overall penetration of the world’s data centers is still relatively small,” Huang said. Nvidia’s net income rose to $1.23 billion, or $1.97 per share, in the third-quarter ended Oct. 28, from $838 million, or $1.33 per share, a year earlier.

Excluding items, Nvidia earned $1.84 per share, Total revenue rose 20.7 percent to $3.18 billion.

Analysts on average had expected revenue of $3.24 billion.