IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2023)

carlsson

This week I played:

Sonic Superstars for Switch - 987 minutes

Progress: I started a new game (of course... it just came out) and got all the emeralds as Sonic, made it to the last level and couldn't beat the boss. Then I played all of the levels again as Tails and had a much better time now that I wasn't being careful and looking for giant rings to search for emeralds. This time I managed to beat the final boss. This unlocked the 5th character, Trip. Next I played through all the levels as Knuckles and beat the final boss. Seeing that Knuckles wasn't much different from Sonic in terms of abilities I realized now I could probably beat the final boss as Sonic. Then I did that. Then I played through all the levels as Amy and beat the final boss. Last I played through all the Story Mode levels as Trip and beat the final boss.

The next part I will need to play is Trip's Story which I hear is more difficult? I'm not too worried because she was one of the easiest characters to play as next to Amy and Tails. Double jump or flight just give them advantages Sonic and Knuckles' limited jumping height and lack of or minimal platforming mistake recovery (nothing, or gliding) don't have.

• Like 4

I took a pause from life and played a bunch of Switch games that cost either $0.09, $0.19, or $0.49. They ranged from pretty decent to excellent.

Apple iOS:

Million Onion Hotel - 20 minutes

IMG_7401.thumb.png.2426517ba738c0dacf6c748ba13cf554.png

Recommended for people with "highly individual tastes." Hey, that's me!

Subpar Pool - 66 minutes

IMG_7490.thumb.png.84a8478a7bfc4a2144e7ca14a5894534.png

There's just so much in the game and the different gimmicks really keep it fresh. It is out on Switch now too.

Browser:

Suika Game - 309 minutes

IMG_7312.thumb.jpeg.5d0e7bf9799881afe99758e1753f3265.jpeg

what can I say, I can't say no to fruit.

Nintendo Switch:

Colorful Colore - 5 minutes

Drawngeon - 35 minutes

Girabox - 20 minutes

Guards - 185 minutes

Island Maze - 10 minutes

mon amour - 55 minutes

IMG_7398.thumb.jpeg.dfd8f80d7c1df1e324fb73d43780868a.jpeg

not your average Flappy Bird homage...

Mushroom Quest - 5 minutes

Relicta - 110 minutes

Suika Game/Watermelon Game - 80 minutes

IMG_7385.thumb.jpeg.a9005aa697fc8ba6b0cfc5c1ffa95c4a.jpeg

Much more polished and also a bit easier than the browser version.

Super Cyborg - 15 minutes

genuinely great little Contra homage.

Swaps and Traps - 20 minutes

Sweet Witches - 10 minutes

Swordbreaker - 25 minutes

IMG_7396.thumb.jpeg.6aeedc7267779dca1f2da20f0de9bf92.jpeg

Insane and stupid, but nevertheless hilarious and fun, choose your own adventure text game with amusing illustrations.

• Like 5

PC 

Donut Dodo 28 

BIT.TRIP Runner 56 

Wandersong 432 

PS2 

Escape from Monkey Island 461 

Ico 547 

XBox 360 

Dead Space 3 545 

Fallout New Vegas 914 

Xbox Series S/X 

ADIOS Amigos 45 

Out of Space 38 

Pinball FX3 22

A big week for me as I had some time off and decided to go after my backlog.  Heavy time in some older generations as I played the PS2 and X360 quite a bit. 360 was played via GamePass, and all on Series X this time.  PS2 was played on original hardware.

Escape from Monkey Island is a game that I remember renting 20 years ago and never finishing.  I've finished all the other MI games, so it is time to get serious about this one.  I think the game has aged pretty well.  We've had two other MI games since this one, and I would say that the quality of voice acting and storytelling is probably a notch higher in "Escape."  It feels like it is trying to be a big budget game where "Tales" and "Return" fit more with the AA or indie scene.  I guess the biggest complaint from fans was the update to 3d and the interface.  I don't find the controls and interface all that difficult to get used to, and the art looks beautiful to me.

Ico is like the ultimate backlog game.  Everyone knows about it, but nobody actually plays it.  Well, I'm going to play it.  I decided to play the PS2 version because I have a modded PS2 with a HD in it, and I can easily switch between it and Monkey Island, but I probably would enjoy the PS3 version (which I also own) better.  Everything they say about Ico is true.  The world is fascinating, the lack of dialog is a surprising advantage, and the puzzles are interesting and compelling.  On the flip side, the combat is ridiculously simple and feels like filler, there are moments when basic instructions are desperately needed, and the save system is only adequate.  Overall, I'm finding much more good than bad here and am excited to keep playing.

Dead Space 3 - I remember the internet going all nerd-rage when this came out because of the micro-transactions, but it is very tame compared to how games have evolved since. Probably the thing I notice the most here is that they switched genres.  I agree with reviews that say this is not really a survival horror game.  This is what Aliens was to Alien, but that certainly isn't a bad thing.  I'm enjoying the more action-oriented gameplay and team-up sci-fi story.  I only wish I had a co-op partner to play with.

Fallout New Vegas - I got back into this after taking a break from earlier in the year.  I contemplated starting Starfield or some other RPGs in the backlog, but I figured I'd already gotten deep into FNV, so why not keep going.  The game is excellent if you are into the Bethesda/Obsidian thing.  I spent all of my time this week just roaming and completing side-quests.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I didin't know there was a college one!

Yep!  I didn't know it released until by happenstance I encountered it the other day.  It is good, though I don't feel it as tight of an experience as Retro Bowl.  It is still damn fun though and is one of the best football game series I have ever played.

• Like 2

Week 42

Top games

1. Sonic Superstars (Switch) - 987 min.
2. Fallout New Vegas (Xbox 360) - 914 min.
3. Ico (PS2) - 547 min.
4. Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360) - 545 min.
5. Escape from Monkey Island (PS2) - 461 min.
6. Wandersong (PC) - 432 min.
7. Suika Game (Browser based) - 309 min. (#9)
8. Guards (Switch) - 185 min.
9. Retro Bowl College (Android) - 175 min.
10. Need For Speed: Underground 2 (Xbox) - 120 min.

Top systems

1. Switch (14 games) - 1562 min. (#1)
2. Xbox 360 (2 games) - 1459 min.
3. PS2 (2 games) - 1008 min.
4. PC (3 games) - 516 min. (#8)
5. Browser based (1 game) - 309 min. (#3)
6. Android (3 games) - 200 min.
7. Xbox (3 games) - 180 min.
8. Xbox Series S/X (3 games) - 105 min. (#2)
9. iOS (2 games) - 86 min. (#9)
10. PS5 (1 game) - 40 min. (#5)

11. DS (1 game) - 30 min. (#6)

Total 5495 minutes and 35 different games (of which 25 new) on 11 different systems, with 6 participants.

I'm back after yet another busy week! In the tracker world, the overall list features 9 of 10 games not on last week's list, with a title battle between Sonic Superstars and Fallout New Vegas and a close fight for 3rd place between Ico and Dead Space 3. For once in a while - not sure when or if it happened before - we have more systems in the modern tracker than in the classic tracker, with the Switch and Xbox 360 at the top.

No changes to the 50, 150, 300 Hour clubs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This week I played:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for Gamecube (via the Ocarina of Time + Master Quest disc) - 410 minutes

Sonic Superstars for Switch - 295 minutes

Progress:

Sonic Superstars: I completed Trip's Story which is basically more difficult level layouts and extra enemies. The last boss was easier for me than most people claim. The giant robot form actually only took me two tries once I had the first half of the battle figured out. Then I completed the Last Story where Super Sonic fights a giant dragon. It took me a while and looking it up to figure out how to deliver the final blow. Then I tried one stage of Time Attack mode as Sonic and was happy to see that Time Attack mode removes the bosses. I think this will be how I will enjoy the game most of the time. 

Zelda: I started a new file and played until I reached the forest temple. I got a lot of heart pieces and gold skulltulas along the way.

I am pretty sure this version of Zelda is a port, not emulation as it even has the title screen year updated and the button colors and differences changed. (Z targeting became L targeting). This port is probably identical to the Zelda: Collector's Edition version.

• Like 3

A quick Evercade weekly challenge this week meant I had more time for other gaming. Suika Game meant I had less.

IMG_7602.thumb.jpeg.c225f13d926f27443e4ce04b2a6f178e.jpeg

Apple iOS:

Breakout Boost - 11 minutes

Old and probably will stop working soon, but it's not bad other than making you fire the ball manually.

subpar pool - 60 minutes on the dot

IMG_7697.thumb.png.4e8d635bb93ad7a2e6db10018bd418fd.png

So many fun levels. It's on the Switch too.

Blaze Evercade:

Fairy Fire - 46 minutes

IMG_7549.thumb.jpeg.7aad0c7ac098119428b597072db42924.jpeg

finally on the EXP handheld

The Lost Mines - 75 minutes

IMG_7597.thumb.jpeg.6d86289042a73e856a28b02495b0668c.jpeg

The new secret game is an MSX port and while simple is pretty addictive and gets really hard.

Browser:

Suika Game - 92 minutes

IMG_7635.thumb.jpeg.2aac9bc0db83ea873a93ffcdcd4bab63.jpeg

I can't seem to top 2000 anymore...

Nintendo Switch:

Candlebook Island - 30 minutes

They maybe fixed the bug I found and then added an even worse one that kills the game and prevents any progression. I give up.

Cattails - 70 minutes

This retro-ish feral cat simulator is tough but a lot of fun.

Cult of the Lamb - 15 minutes

This is not really for me.

Part Time UFO - 80 minutes

IMG_7643.thumb.jpeg.1150d2f7d36cd7fd7e6be60b4ab9617c.jpeg

This physics-based stacking game was the last of its kind before Suika Game that I was into. I revisited it and managed to make some forward progress. Super frustrating but also addictive.

Pinball FX - 25 minutes

Pinball FX3 - 10 minutes

Suika Game / Watermelon Game - 95 minutes

IMG_7511.thumb.jpeg.74099ef61e1b592f176c549c26746933.jpeg

They translated it and added a nice Halloween theme. The update also tweaked the physics and maybe not for the better. I keep having cherries yeeted into the sun.

Super Mario Wonder - 40 minutes

IMG_7568.thumb.jpeg.099485aedf0e20b636cd49520097da4e.jpeg
Really a delightful game, the best thing Nintendo has done in a while.

Tactical Mind II - this board game is a takeoff on checkers with a lot of additional complexity and it's just too confusing for my brain. Maybe starting with the sequel was ill-advised.

Zaccaria Pinball - 5 minutes

Sony PlayStation 3:

Sound Shapes HD - 45 minutes

I loved this back in the day and boy is this level topical.

Tokyo Jungle - 90 minutes

I never got super far into this back in the day but enjoyed giving it a real try this time. I wish I knew how to unlock more story.

• Like 4

Finally back with some time to contribute! Autumn turned to winter last week here in Minnesota, and I'm not much a fan of the cold so the time of year for outdoor activities this year is over for me. Now it's time for 5 or 6 months of winter and lots of relaxing indoors playing video games! :)

IMG202310261616412.thumb.jpg.8b3e6c857e7246529239f37f8ccde99f.jpg

Game Boy Advance

Connect Four / Perfection / Trouble - 213 minutes

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Sony PlayStation 3:

Sound Shapes HD - 45 minutes

I loved this back in the day and boy is this level topical.

Tokyo Jungle - 90 minutes

I never got super far into this back in the day but enjoyed giving it a real try this time. I wish I knew how to unlock more story.

I have physical copy of these games on a single disk.  I've never played with it very much.  Maybe I will give it a go?  Did you have to download this Beck song/level?  Is it user created?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 6:52 PM, jgkspsx said:

Tactical Mind II - this board game is a takeoff on checkers with a lot of additional complexity and it's just too confusing for my brain. Maybe starting with the sequel was ill-advised.

You didn't specify any amount of time on this one?

• Like 1

Week 43

Top games

1. Retro Bowl College (Browser based) - 741 min.
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Gamecube) - 410 min.
3. Sonic Superstars (Switch) - 295 min. (#1)
4. Connect Four / Perfection / Trouble (GBA) - 213 min.
5. Retro Bowl College (Android) - 210 min. (#9)
6. Escape from Monkey Island (PS2) - 170 min. (#5)
7. Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360) - 135 min. (#4)
8. Ico (PS2) - 101 min. (#3)
9. Suika Game/Watermelon Game (Switch) - 95 min.
10. Suika Game (Browser based) - 92 min. (#7)

Top systems

1. Browser based (2 games) - 833 min. (#5)
2. Switch (10 games) - 665 min. (#1)
3. Gamecube (1 game) - 410 min.
4. PS2 (2 games) - 271 min. (#3)
5. Android (5 games) - 260 min. (#6)
6. GBA (1 game) - 213 min.
7. Xbox 360 (1 game) - 135 min. (#2)
7. PS3 (2 games) - 135 min.
9. Blaze Evercade (2 games) - 121 min.
10. iOS (2 games) - 71 min. (#9)

Total 3114 minutes and 29 different games (of which 14 new) on 10 different systems, with 5 participants.

The Quick Brown Fox jumps over the Lazy Dog... or something like that, stats on time! Retro Bowl College in the browser based edition storms into first place, with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in second place with just over half as many minutes. A fairly even share between the systems, from new and older, handheld and stationary.

Anyone who didn't post their times, or forgot something can add those for next week as usual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Week of 10/30/23 - 11/5/23

iOS

Duolingo - 56

Jumbline 2 - 9

PC

Deltarune Chapter 1 - 120

Total time = 185 minutes

I played Deltarune Chapter 1 when it was released, but even though Chapter 2 was released 2 years ago I didn't realize it until last week. Looking at reviews I saw that what I thought was the ending of Chapter 1 was actually not (apparently I was 99% of the way there) so I want to finish that first. However, my save file is on a computer that's now dead so I have to start from the beginning.

• Like 3