IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2023)

carlsson

Week 48

Top games

1. Dragon Quest XI (PS4) - 750 min. (#1)
2. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) - 180 min.
3. holedown (iOS) - 170 min. (#6)
4. Duke Nukem 1&2 (Blaze Evercade) - 125 min.
5. Retro Bowl (Android) - 120 min.
6. Deltarune Chapter 2 (PC) - 115 min.
7. Goodboy Galaxy (GBA) - 100 min.
8. Retro Bowl College (Android) - 85 min.
9. Duolingo (iOS) - 72 min.
10. Snood (Android) - 55 min.

Top systems

1. PS4 (1 game) - 750 min. (#1)
2. Android (7 games) - 325 min.
3. iOS (3 games) - 258 min. (#6)
4. PS3 (1 game) - 180 min.
5. Blaze Evercade (1 game) - 125 min.
6. PC (1 game) - 115 min. (#4)
7. Switch (6 games) - 110 min. (#5)
8. GBA (1 game) - 100 min. (#7)
9. Browser based (1 game) - 28 min. (#8)
10. DS (2 games) - 25 min.

Total 2016 minutes and 24 different games (of which 9 new) on 10 different systems, with 4 participants.

Dragon Quest XI not only becomes the most played game this week, but also enters the 50 Hour Club with a total of 3461 min (69 hours). Obviously I didn't include the installation and upgrade times for Gran Turismo 5, but it still becomes the second most played game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:38 PM, jgkspsx said:

Ocarina of Time is just the N64 game in an emulator, right?

The rom has been edited to change the colors and names of the buttons as well as the copyright date year to 2003 on the title screen. If you guys want to put it in Classic, just move it yourself.

Edited by TheGameCollector

11 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

The rom has been edited to change the colors and names of the buttons as well as the copyright date year to 2003 on the title screen. If you guys want to put it in Classic, just move it yourself.

If it's running in an N64 emulator (and I am certain it is) and does not have any additional functionality I think it belongs in classic. Date doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

If it's running in an N64 emulator (and I am certain it is) and does not have any additional functionality I think it belongs in classic. Date doesn't matter.

I know it's been suggested before, but I kind of think in 2024 it might be easier to just merge the two sections (Classic & Modern), just have 1 time tracker and move the thread to General Gaming since that section exists now, IMO. General Gaming forum didn't exist when the two threads were created. Then people don't have to nitpick about PC and arcade game dates either. PS2, Gamecube and Xbox are also kind of becoming antiquated when you're on PS5 that only plays discs going back to PS4, Microsoft barely has any BC for OG Xbox, and Switch and even WiiU had only select ports or remakes of GameCube games. They're 3 generations ago (4 for Nintendo unless you say either Wii U was part of Wii or Switch was part of Wii U; late next year it will likely be 5 ago).

With a merged topic showing the top 20 systems instead of top 10, we could also get a good comparison of newer console to older console ratio. It would probably kind of show how popular Atari 2600 playing still is among this community next to the current console use on this board. It may even give incentive for some users to try to play their old systems more frequently if the numbers dip.

• Like 2

Most of this is week 47 late minutes (posted on the wrong topic by mistake that week.) + Week 49 minutes (added to Sonic Adventure DX only)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Master Quest for GameCube - 212 minutes

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut for GameCube - 212 minutes

Sonic Origins Plus for PS5 - 143 minutes

Super Smash Bros. Melee for GameCube - 406 minutes

Progress:

Zelda Master Quest - I finished the Spirit Temple and completed the rest of the game except for getting the gold scale and 7 pieces of heart.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - I completed All-Star mode on very easy with the rest of the characters besides Dr. Mario and Mario whom I already completed that with previously. I played the stadium modes minimally to unlock the N64 stages, and completed all 51 Event Matches to unlock the final stage and sound test.

Sonic Adventure DX - I started a new game and completed Sonic's story. [Today, end of week 49 I played through the Tails and Knuckles story modes]

Sonic Origins Plus - I completed Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Sonic & Tails together and completed 4 mission modes with S rank in the Sonic 2 section.

If you're considering Zelda an N64 rom, just paste the values over there from here. I thought the button name changes in the rom was enough to call it a new version. (L-targeting instead of Z-targeting, red and green buttons instead of green and blue, C-stick referenced instead of C buttons, moon symbols on mirror shield and pushable blocks changed into symbol that looks like two diamonds with a horizontal wrench with two dots in the holes between them.) [In fact even if you tally it as an N64 rom, it is actually a modified/officially hacked version because it includes that symbol change and button graphics changes.]

The Master Quest version on the other hand was only officially released on Gamecube. Fans extracted the rom from the Gamecube release and got it working on Nintendo 64 and emulators, but it was never officially released physically on a Nintendo 64 in any region.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

I know it's been suggested before, but I kind of think in 2024 it might be easier to just merge the two sections (Classic & Modern), just have 1 time tracker and move the thread to General Gaming since that section exists now, IMO. General Gaming forum didn't exist when the two threads were created. Then people don't have to nitpick about PC and arcade game dates either. PS2, Gamecube and Xbox are also kind of becoming antiquated when you're on PS5 that only plays discs going back to PS4, Microsoft barely has any BC for OG Xbox, and Switch and even WiiU had only select ports or remakes of GameCube games. They're 3 generations ago (4 for Nintendo unless you say either Wii U was part of Wii or Switch was part of Wii U; late next year it will likely be 5 ago).

With a merged topic showing the top 20 systems instead of top 10, we could also get a good comparison of newer console to older console ratio. It would probably kind of show how popular Atari 2600 playing still is among this community next to the current console use on this board. It may even give incentive for some users to try to play their old systems more frequently if the numbers dip.

I can see both sides on this. I think the best option is whatever will result in the most participation, since there are already so few people involved. If merging the 2 would lose some people who only check the Classic forum (for example) then maybe it’s not a good idea. On the other hand, maybe some people can’t be bothered to post in 2 separate threads and so only use one or don’t post at all.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Keir said:

I can see both sides on this. I think the best option is whatever will result in the most participation, since there are already so few people involved. If merging the 2 would lose some people who only check the Classic forum (for example) then maybe it’s not a good idea. On the other hand, maybe some people can’t be bothered to post in 2 separate threads and so only use one or don’t post at all.

Also, due to the time-sponge nature of modern games such a change would pretty much ensure that pre-NES games never make the top 10, which would be sad.

I for one do not look at the "general gaming" forum at all but if this were to move I would probably subscribe to it there.

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Also, due to the time-sponge nature of modern games such a change would pretty much ensure that pre-NES games never make the top 10, which would be sad.

That seems like it would be true, but combining the 2 lists for last week actually shows 5 classic games, including 2 pre-NES games in the top 10 (11 and 4, respectively, in the top 20). Also, there could still be a separate pre-NES list like there is in the Classic thread now.

1. Dragon Quest XI (PS4) - 750 min.

2. Monopoly (Game Boy Color) - 385 min.
3. Terranigma (SNES) - 304 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 212 min.
5. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) - 180 min.
6. holedown (iOS) - 170 min.
7. Duke Nukem 1&2 (Blaze Evercade) - 125 min.

8. Coryoon: Child of Dragon (TG-16/PC Engine) - 122 min.
9. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 122 min.

10. Retro Bowl (Android) - 120 min.
11. Deltarune Chapter 2 (PC) - 115 min.

12. Ultimate Doom, The (PC DOS) - 106 min.

13. Goodboy Galaxy (GBA) - 100 min.
14. Arabian (Arcade) - 96 min.
15. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 89 min.

16. Retro Bowl College (Android) - 85 min.
17. Flying Shark (Arcade) - 80 min.
18. Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 80 min. 
19. Battle Chopper/Mr Heli no Daibouken (Arcade) - 75 min.

20. Duolingo (iOS) - 72 min.

• Thanks 2

As for Ocarina of Time, I got the impression that Nintendo themselves distributed this version for the Gamecube, but of course on its own it doesn't warrant an entry in the modern tracker if it basically contains a N64 emulator with increased viewport. We already have several arcade game compilations where we draw the line at if the arcade games are based on original ROM running in an emulator, it sorts as arcade but if it is reimplemented on a newer system, it goes as an own title.

Regarding if we should merge the two trackers into one, and where it should be hosted, I'm not sure. If we do a merge, I will probably produce four lists each week:

• Top 10 Games Overall
  • Top 10 Games Pre-2000
  • Top 10 Games Pre-NES
  • Top 10 Systems

Sure, the first two lists could be combined into a Top 20 Games Overall, which would mean that SNES, PS1, N64 etc games get to fight with all newer formats, while we preserve the special status of pre-NES.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apple iOS:

holedown - 210 minutes

IMG_1620.thumb.jpeg.2f210f86434dc2d2a92835acfbf05484.jpeg

I was playing it too much with too little progress, so I deleted it, which removed it from my usage tracking. D'oh!

twofold inc - 10 minutes

IMG_1621.thumb.jpeg.4be981d7f169b47b6d0104070b3dab21.jpeg

Not nearly as addictive as their other games so far.

Atari VCS:

Atari Mania - 35 minutes

IMG_1605.thumb.jpeg.c41552e1adaaeb7d6d27e161119f0a9a.jpeg

Beat one of the demons, failed at several others. It's a great idea for a game but needed a lot more work. I can't get used to the ridiculous way spaceships move in the Asteroids/Gravitar/etc minigames.

Browser:

Suika Game - 30 minutes

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.1365fd595d26079a1affd76fcd9ca7a7.jpeg
Watermelon on the menu again!!

PC:

Romeo & Juliet (Onion Games in case there is any collision) - 25 minutes

image.thumb.png.a4abbbe67dbc71d6b605b54f1b17db71.png

Free game for signing up for Onion Games's mailing list. Weirdly addictive.

PlayStation Vita:

Pinball Heroes Complete - 35 minutes

IMG_1678.thumb.jpeg.15befa1e7ca31dcd19becc5bbf36fcb2.jpeg

Hot Shots Golf, Pain Downtown, and wipEout tables.

Switch:

Maquette - 345 minutes

IMG_1676.thumb.jpeg.eb88d4a1fb3c5310b1b8ca95fb59ec8a.jpeg

Start to finish. Including a fair amount of time stuck due to bugs. It was a nice experience but didn't feel fully baked. I did enjoy it, though.

• Like 4

PS2 
Escape from Monkey Island 139 

X360 

Fallout New Vegas 1480

I wrapped up both Escape from Monkey Island and finally finished the main storyline in New Vegas.  Posted about "Escape" here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/346329-modern-games-beaten-in-2023/?do=findComment&comment=5361475  

Review post pending for New Vegas

• Like 4

Week 49

Top games

1. Fallout New Vegas (Xbox 360) - 1480 min.
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube) - 406 min.
3. Maquette (Switch) - 345 min.
4. Pinball FX (PS4) - 270 min.
5. Super Woden GP II (PC) - 244 min.
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (Gamecube) - 212 min.
6. Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (Gamecube) - 212 min.
8. holedown (iOS) - 210 min. (#3)
9. Sonic Origins & Plus (PS5) - 143 min.
10. Escape from Monkey Island (PS2) - 139 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox 360 (1 game) - 1480 min.
2. Gamecube (3 games) - 830 min.
3. Switch (1 game) - 345 min. (#7)
4. PC (3 games) - 344 min. (#6)
5. PS4 (2 games) - 300 min. (#1)
6. iOS (3 games) - 267 min. (#3)
7. PS5 (1 game) - 143 min.
8. PS2 (1 game) - 139 min.
9. Vita (1 game) - 35 min.
10. Atari VCS (1 game) - 35 min.
11. Browser based (1 game) - 30 min. (#9)

Total 3948 minutes and 18 different games (of which 7 new) on 11 different systems, with 6 participants.

Fallout New Vegas reports nearly 25 hours of playing, which equals 37.5% of the total minutes this week and is a number that would have been among the top entries most weeks even back when the tracker was more busy. Out of the other games, it can be noted that the top two from the classic tracker (of which Kaboom! is a pre-NES game) would have made top 10 on the combined list this week. This is even more apparent on the systems list, though nothing could stop Xbox 360 and Gamecube this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot more on the modern side this week.

Apple iOS:

rydmkapsel - 63 minutes

IMG_1796.thumb.png.e0dbeeab5cd127446fda8412805c60a7.png

Super fun game but it takes forever and I can't spare that much time. Played once and deleted.

twofold inc. - 12 minutes

IMG_1797.thumb.png.e9e4c7620236825b26e127d0fa99fab3.png

Much less fun but much easier to stop.

Browser:

Suika Game - 70 minutes

IMG_1793.thumb.jpeg.f3c406d4da126622032d681f0f50a83b.jpegIMG_1774.thumb.jpeg.c4fa0f572d40674c416e9c6004b0ac94.jpeg

Are you seeing a pattern here?

Game Boy Advance:

Pinball Advance - 25 minutes

IMG_1694.thumb.jpeg.0c752122a684dbb372f16f4f7f108010.jpeg
Awesome EU exclusive!

PS Vita:

Everyday Shooter - 20 minutes

One Epic Game - 35 minutes

TxK - 70 minutes

IMG_1686.thumb.jpeg.acfbbaca99a4d67461bbceb75efc60b8.jpeg
Did better than before but still not great.

Switch:

9 Years of Shadows - 10 minutes

P_Exp_79.thumb.png.7144416c4a144cadfa9021fb1851e086.png

I am in there... somewhere...

Finding Teddy II - 55 minutes

Bought it at $5, really impressed by the atmosphere, music, and puzzles so far.

Pixel Puzzle Makeout League - 225 minutes

IMG_1790.thumb.jpeg.ab0964dd59f55fbf519851b2f48d9394.jpeg

A combination of a silly and mostly funny visual novel with picross is pretty entertaining. Puzzles are way too easy so far, though.

Satazius Next - 15 minutes

IMG_1830.thumb.jpeg.7a879e77bb3e37151a15c69a35e93532.jpeg
About half and half the original Satazius and the Next remaster.

Suika Game - 5 minutes

Saw it updated and went in hoping for a Christmas theme. Nope.

Tadpole Treble Encore - 20 minutes

One of the Wii U exclusives I missed, I was very happy to learn this was ported to Switch! So happy that I bought it at full price. It went on sale the next day 😭

Tetris 99 - 40 minutes

Got my Mario Wonder Maximus Cup background.

Vostok 2061 - 15 minutes

Meh euroshooter.

• Like 4