IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2023 (Season 16)

carlsson

4 hours ago, Eltigro said:

Got in some game playing this week.  And actually remembered to write down times this week!  I need to get into the habit again.  Just one "retro" game, but I put a lot of time into it:

Playstation

Final Fantasy 7 - 1280 min (I streamed this for about 7 hours on Wednesday, then kept playing while doing other stuff afterwards.  And then the rest of the week I played more each day.  I'm up to collecting the Huge Materia.  Haven't gone to Junon for the materia there, or got the sub yet, so that's where I am in the story if you're familiar.  So besides those 7 hrs streaming and story, the rest has all been grinding... leveling materia and characters, and unlocking limit breaks.)

I just recently played through this. It's funny you took a break in the same place I did. What's funny is that it wasn't until after I finished it that I tried setting up emulators on my wife's computer and I realized I could have turned up the graphical resolution and gotten rid of a lot of the pixelation that this and other games suffer from when not played on a CRT on original hardware. I did leave a disc 1 file available for the ability to go back and level up Aeris for fun. I guess next time I play it, it will look better. I could also just wait until I get to the Switch version I have and replay it that way.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I’m sorry to hear it, @Kurt_Woloch. Wishing you and your family peace and comfort, and a smooth and painless administration of your father’s affairs.

Well, there's a catch... there's not really a family left now. My mother died 5 years ago (actually, exactly on March 10th, 2018, also in Theo night from a Saturday to a Sunday), I have no brothers and sisters and no wife and children. My only family has always been my parents and me. Maybe I concentrated too much on video and computer games rather than on finding a girlfriend to partner with...

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

My sincerest condolences @Kurt_Woloch! I spoke to my dad as recently as this afternoon, him inviting me to celebrate his 87th birthday next Saturday. While most of my aunts have reached 85-90 years of age, I realize it is nothing to take for granted.

Back to the regular scheduling, I was part of Retrogathering Hemdatormässa this weekend, which is our regular retro gaming expo but with a stronger emphasis on home computers (and slightly fewer sellers of console games like Nintendo, Sega, Sony etc). I brought a few of my own computers to widen the gaming area, and ended up playing my own computers more when they were on display at an expo than I do when I have them available at home. Indeed I just recently fixed my Beeb and rerouted a RGB video cable, so one excuse is that I haven't had any way of display video until now.

Karate Warrior is a horrible excuse of a karate game where you have four moves: high kick, jump kick, hook leg and jump backwards. The player who moves first when you're close to each other wins the bout, and gains one level of belt. I believe the order of belts was white - yellow - purple - brown and black, which is how you win the game. There are several better karate games on the Beeb alone, e.g. Way of the Exploding Fist.

Amiga:

Body Blows - 2 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Moon Patrol Redux - 46 min. (40650 pts)

BBC Micro:
Karate Warrior (a.k.a. Karate) - 4 min.

Microball - 20 min.

MSX1:
Bomberman Special - 4 min.
Penguin Adventure - 10 min.

MSX2:
Quarth - 5 min.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kurt_Woloch said:

Here are my times for this past week (March 5th through 12th, 2023):

Sorry, I didn't play anything this week. My father was in the hospital all week and I visited him every day until, finally, he died this morning. Now it's mourning time, so I don't plan to play anything for the next 6 weeks either (which would be through April 23rd). This goes back to my childhood when I liked to play records on a record-player, but then in 1979 my grandfather died, so my father made a new rule for me, he said "Now it's mourning time, and for the next 6 weeks you're only allowed to play 3 records a day". Presumably he wanted to make things easier for my mother whose father it was. Now for my father, I want to stick to this rule again, and I'll take it to the extreme by avoiding anything that's fun for the next six weeks which the actual purpose being that I don't get distracted and get to focus entirely on my father's funeral and everything else that has to be done in this situation. To this end, I've switched off the amplifier connected to my PC so that there's no sound output. I don't need sound to work on it though. I even plan to dismantle the whole Hi-Fi tower and put it into the attic for the next weeks. Then I want to move into the flat of my father which is now vacant and give up my own flat, so the hi-fi tower probably won't be set up in this flat anymore. Those are my plans for the next weeks, and these are the reasons if I don't post anything here for the next weeks.

I am feeling for you.  I hope you find time to focus and find some peace during this time of transition.

• Like 4

This week I played:

Crazy Taxi for Dreamcast - 44 minutes

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX for Dreamcast - 136 minutes

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 for Playstation - 45 minutes

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for Game Boy Color - 269 minutes

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for Playstation - 186 minutes

Progress:

Crazy Taxi - played arcade mode and original mode until I did well enough in both to make the credits roll and play the first verse of one of my favorite songs by Bad Religion ever (Inner Logic)

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX - played as Dave Mirra until I got stuck on a level's pro goal that asks you to do a 900. I can't seem to get enough air to pull that off. At least I've unlocked at least half of the levels I think. This game has a great soundtrack too but just doesn't quite control as well as Tony Hawk games.

Dragon Ball Z: UB22 - I beat the 1P vs COM mode (essentially arcade mode) as Goku

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe - I beat both quests of the original game, the Lost Levels (For Super Players) mode, the Boo races only doing well enough to unlock all the pink Boos, and got all the red coins/high score/Yoshi egg challenge mode goals done through world 4-4.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Played as Tony Hawk well enough in each of the levels to access the Bull Ring and get a gold in the final competition to watch the credits roll. I'm probably not going to bother going back and 100%ing the game or using the other skaters this time around. I still have many other games left to re-play including other versions of this game.

• Like 7

Here are my times:

Atari 2600:

Vanguard- 6 minutes

Time Pilot- 10 minutes

Dodge'em Dodger cars- 6 1/2 minutes

Sadisteroids (Homebrew hack)- 3 minutes

Pole Position- 2 minutes

Taz- 4 minutes

Tapper-8 1/2 minutes

Spiderman- 2 minutes

Super Breakout- 7 minutes

Star Wars- The Empire Strikes Back- 14 minutes 

NES

Abadox- 3 minutes

Choujin Sentai Jetman- 3 1/2 inutes

Marble Madness- 6 minutes

Baby Boomer (Unlicensed)- 5 minutes

Batman- 4 minutes

Battle Chess- 8 minutes

Castlevania- 6 1/2 minutes

Burgertime- 6 minutes

NARC- 5 minutes

Tetris- 8 minutes

Burai Fighter- 5 1/2 minutes 

Sega Master System

Aladdin- 5 mintues

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive:

Batman- 6 minutes

• Like 7

Times for the week. 
Atari 2600

Asteroids 19. After years of not playing this game; I now enjoy the game a lot. 
Eggomania. 27. A couple of games over 50;000. 
Solar Fox 151.   Turned the game over and got to 6 mil. 
Squish’em 6. Always a fun game. 

• Like 6

Very sorry to hear that Kurt.

Week of 3/6/23 - 3/12/23

Commodore 64

Phantasie II - 145

PC DOS

Jill Of The Jungle - 95

Total time = 240

Finally had a decent amount of free time to spend gaming. Getting back into Phantasie II has been fun though at one point my dungeon disk became corrupt. Fortunately I was able to download a new one and continue with no problem. I had completely forgotten about Jill Of The Jungle until it came up in the female protagonists thread. I hadn't played since college so it's been exciting to revisit that and find all the little secrets.

• Like 7

A little late the party, but I did a good bit of both classic and modern gaming this past week! For my classic gaming time I did a playthrough of Castlevania for the NES on the Powkiddy V90 and a playthrough of Contra: The Alien Wars for the Game Boy on the Anbernic RG35XX :)

(Excuse the cruddy picture quality, for some reason my camera just absolutely does not like trying to take pictures of the ultra bright and sharp screen on the RG35XX)

1088277724_IMG202303140603332.thumb.jpg.cf028b9c4b5c9dbfca447d2d8e6609f9.jpg

NES

Castlevania - 103 minutes 

Pac-Man Championship Edition - 15 minutes

Game Boy

Contra: The Alien Wars - 54 minutes 

• Like 7

I have been focusing on the end of the 3DS eShop/online service so classic gaming took a beating.

Arcade:

Blockout - 75 minutes

4553E331-D7A5-416C-8907-F04927A43463.thumb.jpeg.2d4b82697db2414c7b9da80b8bfab725.jpeg

Zero Wing [International Version] - 25 minutes

D8B8F6F4-A370-4D50-ABF8-E5E47F3D1A19.thumb.jpeg.c85b498d8b13b2cbfa666b5a78e75c57.jpeg

Genesis:

Zero Wing - 25 minutes

NES:

Yoshi - 15 minutes

ED4F31BC-C0D4-4722-98EC-0849A081E4DD.thumb.jpeg.9a9fd8fb83d08d7bd45faaf855fb12ae.jpeg

I hate hate hate this game. I played it to make sure it was worth deleting to make room on my 3DS homescreen, and never has a puzzle game deserved deleting more.

Nintendo Game & Watch:

Carrera - 25 minutes

E639763E-588F-4E9A-BC7D-807AC6D51729.thumb.jpeg.2fc934173b36856f515821aa6ce496af.jpeg

Spider-Man - 65 minutes

74550A52-D412-485F-88B1-1B88880A1D56.thumb.jpeg.b57533f124417f31bc84e68b26a89760.jpeg

Basically a riff on DK Jr. Pretty fun!

Super Mario Bros - 20 minutes

AE92ADDE-038B-43B2-BFA7-1F73E89054A7.thumb.jpeg.00573716be361d43f2a089a2c754205b.jpeg

Sega 32X:

World Series Baseball starring Deion Sanders - 45 minutes.

3225ED00-CFE7-421E-901D-4AD8E46FE09A.thumb.jpeg.dd564164886aa005ee1193f0d478865f.jpeg

I am so bad at this it's farcical. I don't think it's just me, fielding controls really suck.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

This is coming to Evercade soon! Very neat and ahead of its game for the NES even if it’s a little finicky.

Yeah, that is what made me give it a go.  Didn't really click with me, though.  Still, very cool to see something like this on the NES that was, like you say, ahead of its time.

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 10, running from March 6 - 12. We logged 4645 minutes of eligible play, playing 79 games on a total of 23 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation) - 1280 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 403 min. (#3)
3. Leisure Suit Larry 1: In the Land of the Lounge Lizards (PC DOS) - 295 min.
4. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Game Boy Color) - 269 min.
5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation) - 186 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 171 min. (#9)
7. Phantasie II (Commodore 64) - 145 min.
8. Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX (Dreamcast) - 136 min.
9. Demon Attack (Intellivision) - 125 min.
10. Dragon Slayer (CoCo 1 & 2) - 110 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 403 min. (PN#1)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 171 min. (PN#3)
3. Phantasie II (Commodore 64) - 145 min. (PN#8)
4. Demon Attack (Intellivision) - 125 min.
5. Dragon Slayer (CoCo 1 & 2) - 110 min.
6. Aerial (TRS-80 MC-10) - 65 min.
7. Neutroid 2.015 (CoCo 1 & 2) - 47 min.
8. Moon Patrol Redux (Atari 8-bit) - 46 min. (PN#4)
9. Commando (Atari 7800) - 45 min.
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Intellivision) - 45 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (3 games) - 1511 min.
2. Atari 2600 (18 games) - 728 min. (#2)
3. PC DOS (2 games) - 390 min.
4. NES/Famicom (16 games) - 273 min. (#1)
5. Game Boy Color (1 game) - 269 min. (#10)
6. Arcade (7 games) - 231 min.
7. Intellivision (3 games) - 205 min.
8. Dreamcast (2 games) - 180 min. (#3)
9. CoCo 1 & 2 (2 games) - 157 min.
10. Commodore 64 (1 game) - 145 min. (#9)

Despite 403 minutes, Solar Fox is Forbidden to grab overall first place, as it is awarded to Final Fantasy VII by over 14 hours margin. Solar Fox however is the most played pre-NES game. Again the Playstation illustrates that it is not the number of different games that puts it in the systems top, but how long you played each game.

Speaking of how long a game is played, Zero Wing (Genesis) enters the 1000 Minute Club as member #521 with a total of 1009 minutes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I actually told myself I was going to play more than one classic game this week.

And then didn't.

Playstation

Final Fantasy 7 - 780 min (Still haven't progressed the story any.  Still in the "about to go to Junon for huge materia" part...  but went through and grinded some more levels and materia, bred a gold chocobo and did a good bit of racing and battle square stuff...  got Cloud's final limit break...  got more summon and cool materia... first time ever getting the Knights of the Round summon...  and generally had a good time.  Wanting to level up materia some more and maybe find a few more final limit breaks before moving on.)

• Like 6

Atari 8-bit:
Dawn Raider - 8 min.
Warhawk - 18 min.

All HSC times of course. Warhawk is a fire button killer unless you have a device to get automatic fire, regardless which kind of joystick you use. Dawn Raider is more slow paced, someone compared it to Super Cobra but with both limited ammo and fuel.

• Like 5

Got some new ones to play while on vacation this week.

NES

Full Quiet - 1230 minutes. Cannot recommend this enough. Like metal gear and flashback rolled together. Still only halfway at the island and have had to restart several times as I got stuck or used all my supplies.

IMG_20230318_235900895.thumb.jpg.4b7707c586d3b6b58d1d330ecfd614ab.jpg

Desert Commander - 45min

Super Mario Bros 2 - 45min

Ninja Gaiden - 20min

• Like 7