IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

@Crash7 What are the contents of the delays.txt file? Have you tried alternate values lower or higher? The details are important, and as mentioned, the default delays.txt file I provided should work exactly the same as if you didn't have the file there at all. You need to change the numbers for any changes to occur.

BTW, "colored screen" or "patterned screen" is descriptive enough in most cases, unless you're getting something that resembles the game

520 and 565

No screen resembles the game.  Hell I haven't even seen the credits screen others have.  This SPS has an INTV2 Exec and the ONLY isssue with it is that it won't play US Coleco carts. 

Everything else i have works fine in it. 

Edited by Crash7

Okay this is my Super Pro System that has the INTV I EXEC in it.  

This is the first time I have ever seen this screen.  

So any hybrid SPS's with an INTV II EXEC in it?

That's probably why your screen is blank.  

I guess we can call it progress. 😁

20240127_153230.jpg

Edited by Crash7
  • Like 1

I've done a bit of testing today and couldn't get the RTO to work so I'm reaching out to this community hoping someone can help. Here's what happened:

When I plug in the RTO and turn on my INTV, my TV displays a message that says "RTO-Cart Please select a game!" and the RTO screen prompts me to select a file. So far, so good. When I select the bin of Advanced D&D (retitled to ADD.bin and using the 0.cfg file provided by @aotta above), I get this result on the RTO screen:

IMG_5973.thumb.png.390ac81146068110bf6a68b9164b4d98.png      IMG_5974.thumb.png.65caac7d6099af5f30fadc2e53b3bfcc.png

The screen on my TV changes to the title screen of the game, but when I hit a number on the keypad of controller 1, the title screen glitches quickly and reloads itself like this:

Since the option to add a delays.txt file was provided, I've tried a wide variety of delay settings including those previously posted by others elsewhere in the forums and a few of my own. The only perceivable difference is the rare occasion when I get a TV screen full of a single color. Here are the settings I've tried, none of which made a perceptible difference: 482/540, 626/702, 554/621, 422/480, 640/565, 740/565, 840/565, 940/565, 520/570, 520/575, 520/580, 520/585, 520/590, 520/595, 525/565, 530/565, 120/265. These two caused my RTO to show a solid color rather than the title screen shown above: 820/965, 409/455.

I've also tried bin files from nine different sources and none of them perform differently. I'd really like to get this to work and I'm willing to try anything at this point, but I'm beginning to think the delays.txt file settings are not the solution and the RTO simply isn't compatible with my INTV.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful for the help and I'm all ears!

Edited by sfish

28 minutes ago, sfish said:

I've done a bit of testing today and couldn't get the RTO to work so I'm reaching out to this community hoping someone can help. Here's what happened:

When I plug in the RTO and turn on my INTV, my TV displays a message that says "RTO-Cart Please select a game!" and the RTO screen prompts me to select a file. So far, so good. When I select the bin of Advanced D&D (retitled to ADD.bin and using the 0.cfg file provided by @aotta above), I get this result on the RTO screen:

IMG_5973.thumb.png.390ac81146068110bf6a68b9164b4d98.png      IMG_5974.thumb.png.65caac7d6099af5f30fadc2e53b3bfcc.png

The screen on my TV changes to the title screen of the game, but when I hit a number on the keypad of controller 1, the title screen glitches quickly and reloads itself like this:

Since the option to add a delays.txt file was provided, I've tried a wide variety of delay settings including those previously posted by others elsewhere in the forums and a few of my own. The only perceivable difference is the rare occasion when I get a TV screen full of a single color. Here are the settings I've tried, none of which made a perceptible difference: 482/540, 626/702, 554/621, 422/480, 640/565, 740/565, 840/565, 940/565, 520/570, 520/575, 520/580, 520/585, 520/590, 520/595, 525/565, 530/565, 120/265. These two caused my RTO to show a solid color rather than the title screen shown above: 820/965, 409/455.

I've also tried bin files from nine different sources and none of them perform differently. I'd really like to get this to work and I'm willing to try anything at this point, but I'm beginning to think the delays.txt file settings are not the solution and the RTO simply isn't compatible with my INTV.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful for the help and I'm all ears!

Now that reminds me of what things do with Nostalgia before you add the executive ROM to it.  

You would pull up the main game screen, but as soon as you hit the controller it would go back to your main menu on your computer. 

Since I've changed decks the closest I've gotten to is that RTO screen, I have never seen the game screen yet

Edited by Crash7

4 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Just rename the .int files to .bin files. The RTO needs .bin files (and .cfg).

You don't need to add these extra files. They won't do any good. Nowhere in the code or the instructions does it refer to any of these files.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:46 PM, sfish said:

I'm bumping this in case there happens to be someone who can help who did see the original post above. I'm happy to do additional testing and troubleshooting if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

If your intv works fine with original cartridges, it should work with a working RTO too. Could you test the Rto with other intellivision? Which type your intv is? Maybe some bad contact on solder points?

2 hours ago, aotta said:

If your intv works fine with original cartridges, it should work with a working RTO too. Could you test the Rto with other intellivision? Which type your intv is? Maybe some bad contact on solder points?

I have a brand new Intellivision Super Pro System.

Everything works in it as far as cartridges. 

I still can't get his RTO to work.

And you or one friend of yours don't have a classic intellivision or an intellivision II to check if there is an issue with your RTO or there are some incompatibility with Super Pro System? I've neither never seen a SPS, so i couldn't tested my RTO with it!

That's a good idea.

Anybody out there in Intellivision Land that already has one of 5-11's carts working and wants to program mine?

Send me your mailing address via PM and I will send it out.

And then I will send you an email, with the games I would like you to put on it. 

It won't be a hundred games, probably closer to 25. 

I actually bought this cart for a friend, because his cartridges keep getting lost or damaged at his place. LOL

But when I go to visit him all he wants to do is talk about food, Pittsburgh sports, and play Intellivision.

I'd say he has his priorities straight. 😁

1 hour ago, Crash7 said:

That's a good idea.

Anybody out there in Intellivision Land that already has one of 5-11's carts working and wants to program mine?

Send me your mailing address via PM and I will send it out.

And then I will send you an email, with the games I would like you to put on it. 

It won't be a hundred games, probably closer to 25. 

I actually bought this cart for a friend, because his cartridges keep getting lost or damaged at his place. LOL

But when I go to visit him all he wants to do is talk about food, Pittsburgh sports, and play Intellivision.

I'd say he has his priorities straight. 😁

You might not be doing anything wrong. Test it on your friend's Intellivision.

9 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You might not be doing anything wrong. Test it on your friend's Intellivision.

I already did, I snuck it over there and popped it in the deck, a 1981 version..

Same thing, it shows the RTO title screen, and then it doesn't do anything.

I either get a green screen or a black screen. 

At least I'm able to do *something* right.

👇👇👇👇👇

Screenshot_20240131_222511_BetRivers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

I already did, I snuck it over there and popped it in the deck, a 1981 version..

Same thing, it shows the RTO title screen, and then it doesn't do anything.

I either get a green screen or a black screen. 

At least I'm able to do *something* right.

👇👇👇👇👇

Screenshot_20240131_222511_BetRivers.jpg

Wow, while we try to help you, plese share with us some hints for a bid! 😂

i'll sent you a PM with the bowling.bin i use on my RTOs, please give a try and report if some differences

• Thanks 1

On the advice of a tech guy he told to use a 128 or less SD card.  Said the 256 may be too much.

So I tried it.  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE! 

Same thing.  Same lack of results. 

I'm about multi-carted out at the moment.  Anyone who wants to take a stab at this for me?  I'd send you a list of games I would need converted to bin files, and I'll mail this to you.  My game list I believe is 25 or so.  

Thanks..... 

Keith 🕹️

I'll even sweeten the pot.

If you can get this working and prove to me that it works?

You have two options.

A) You get a $50 thank you from me

or

B) if you like the way it looks and the way it runs? You have the option of purchasing it for me for the same price I paid for it so I'm not making any profit, plus $20 for the SD card.  

Let the fun begin!

28 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

I'll even sweeten the pot.

If you can get this working and prove to me that it works?

You have two options.

A) You get a $50 thank you from me

or

B) if you like the way it looks and the way it runs? You have the option of purchasing it for me for the same price I paid for it so I'm not making any profit, plus $20 for the SD card.  

Let the fun begin!

It should work on most Intellivisions. I know sfish is having similar issues, with a similar console (and regardless of delays.txt tweaks), but have you tried any other settings for the delays.txt file, or not? If not, it's a simple task to reduce (or increase) one or both of the numbers by 20 or 40 or so, to see if there are any improvements.

The good news, for you, at least, is that it looks like this is going to be a very limited edition, so I'm guessing someone might jump at buying it, and giving it a try for their console.

• Like 1

I have. I keep changing the numbers by 30. I'm not at home right now but I have even written the numbers down so I wouldn't repeat them as I go along with the process.

I have two SPS decks, one has the exec board of INTV II, that one I can't even get the title screen to pull up, that's the one I have most of my screen caps in this subject.

Other deck has all INTV I hardware, and that when I can at least get your title screen to pull up. But that's as far as it goes.

It's frustrating because I really like the concept, and as I've said I bought this for a friend, not myself. 

This flat out does not work.  

Spent two hours doing number combinations with the delays file, and using a mint as of 18 months ago original INTV I model and I get the same thing.

RTO title screen, then asking to select game, select a game, and then I get either a green screen or a black one.  

5 hours ago, Crash7 said:

Spent two hours doing number combinations with the delays file, and using a mint as of 18 months ago original INTV I model and I get the same thing.

RTO title screen, then asking to select game, select a game, and then I get either a green screen or a black one.  

Could it be the ROMs you are using?  Or the CFG are not correct?  Idunno ...

5 hours ago, Crash7 said:

RTO title screen is, in fact, a very simple Intellivision program that show the title, that i "hardcoded" into the firmware. So, the bus communication works.

Could you test a very simple Bin file, like this?

Mickey's Hello World (1999)(-)(PD).bin

0.cfg

Just copy both file on a fresh fat32 formatted SDCard (better if smaller than 32gb), and give another try.

Please also report us if "Emulating ROM" etc. is correctly displayed on oled screend

Edited by aotta

7 hours ago, Crash7 said:

I agree with @Crash7 I have a Super Pro System that I am seeing the same behavior on. I cannot even get the rom selection screen to display properly. It shows the same garbled screen as other roms I try to load.

My Sears Super Video Arcade can get the rom selection screen to display correctly, but the farthest I can get is only some roms will get to the title screen and then just reset to the title screen when I try to start them (same behavior as @sfish video clip).

I do have an Intellivision II that I can get the RTO to work on, but not the SSVA or my SPS, and I have tried many delays.txt values. Another thing to note is that I have tested LTO and Backbit carts on these systems, and both work fine.

Has anyone been able to successfully use the RTO on a SSVA or SPS?

Edited by mattyv316
update