IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

@Tissemon this is the 5-11under's version thread, we should talk about the "original" RTO in its 3ad. Anyway, since 5-11under has found some issue too in beta testing, i could say that there's no perfect way to computer the delay, and a lot of things may interfere (i.e. the compilation option - i used "faster" and not "fastest" or the speed of the Teensy's CPU - i left it to its default), but the value you used for Dracula seems too low in my opinion.

Can you test your Inty with original cartridge? one of my friends had issue with Dracula (dark video and blurred portions of the screen) due to grounding external video pin missing, that i hadn't since i use an RGB output and not the RF. In version 1.1 the ext-video should be solved, but maybe it's related to your issue too.

RTO is an "active" cart, differently to the original Roms, so grounding and power are more critical and it's not easy to find what's wrong when a game shows glitches.

But i tend to exclude it's something wrong in your Intellivision's IC! 

4 hours ago, aotta said:

@Tissemon this is the 5-11under's version thread, we should talk about the "original" RTO in its 3ad. Anyway, since 5-11under has found some issue too in beta testing, i could say that there's no perfect way to computer the delay, and a lot of things may interfere (i.e. the compilation option - i used "faster" and not "fastest" or the speed of the Teensy's CPU - i left it to its default), but the value you used for Dracula seems too low in my opinion.

Can you test your Inty with original cartridge? one of my friends had issue with Dracula (dark video and blurred portions of the screen) due to grounding external video pin missing, that i hadn't since i use an RGB output and not the RF. In version 1.1 the ext-video should be solved, but maybe it's related to your issue too.

RTO is an "active" cart, differently to the original Roms, so grounding and power are more critical and it's not easy to find what's wrong when a game shows glitches.

But i tend to exclude it's something wrong in your Intellivision's IC! 

Oh, yeah, sorry for posting in the wrong thread. But this issue might be in 5-11s version as well, so I hope it's ok with him. I'll test some more and continue with my findings in the other RTO-thread.

Just to clarify: I've got a PAL Intellivision, model 1 that I've removed the RF-unit on and I'm using a composite mod instead. It's not a perfect mod - on my CRT it shows gray color instead of white, but on my digital panel it gets correct but somewhat washed out colors, so I've got to work a little on that mod as well later on 🙂 But I don't think the mod is the problem - it might drain a bit more electricity than the RF unit, but that shouldn't make very much of a difference. I havn't got the original cart for Dracula, so I can't test that. But the glitches that I'm talking about are not just graphical - with the original timings on the RTO the Dracula sprite would sometimes randomly get really big, and when I transform to bat-form it gets normal for a while again. Sometimes I get teleported to somewhere else on the screen. Sometimes the Dracula-sprite transforms to something that looks like a head on a stick. The policeman won't throw stakes at me and other weird stuff like that. All those bugs disappeared when I used the lower values on the timing.

8 minutes ago, Tissemon said:

But the glitches that I'm talking about are not just graphical - with the original timings on the RTO the Dracula sprite would sometimes randomly get really big, and when I transform to bat-form it gets normal for a while again. Sometimes I get teleported to somewhere else on the screen. Sometimes the Dracula-sprite transforms to something that looks like a head on a stick. The policeman won't throw stakes at me and other weird stuff like that. All those bugs disappeared when I used the lower values on the timing.

Yes these errors appear to be caused by a ROM read error so, definitely, a timing issue!

11 minutes ago, Tissemon said:

Oh, yeah, sorry for posting in the wrong thread. But this issue might be in 5-11s version as well, so I hope it's ok with him. I'll test some more and continue with my findings in the other RTO-thread.

Not a problem at all! The feedback is appreciated!

On 6/2/2023 at 7:08 PM, 5-11under said:

Not a problem at all! The feedback is appreciated!

Great! Meybe you and your testers can help each other out.

I've got three "problematic" ROM's that I'm testing with:

Dracula, Antarctic Tales and the Bad Apple demo (antarctic tales and bad apple are available as free downloads here on AtariAge)

I've tried to experiment with a lot och timing-values and here are my rough findings:

delRD=422 + delWR=480 -> Dracula works fine, Antarctic Tales does not work so good.

delRD=402 + delWR=466 -> Dracula still fine, Antarctic tales quite good!

delRD=382 + delWR=440 -> Won’t boot at all

392/456 -> bit more glitches

400/456 almost perfect

400/450 same

400/440 same or worse

400/465 worse

398/456 worse than 400/465

406/456 worse than 400/465

402/456 near perfect

404/456 near perfect. Maybe a bit worse than before

403/456 near perfect, bit better than last

403/450 near perfect, bit slow sound in beginning

403/453 same

404/455 best one yet!

405/455 same

405/456 worse

405/454 worse still

406/455 best yet!

407/455 same

408/455 best yet! Almost no glitches

409/455 Better! Almost none!

410/455 worse

410/456 worse

409/456 better than last, but really bad still

409/454 better than last, but not best.

409/467 worse

Best one = 409/455 - tried some other games with this setting and they all worked great. And then I tried the Bad Apple demo - where the sound was off. So back to square one on finding a value that works with everything, I guess 😞

It seems that perhaps the difference between delRD and delWR is more important than the actual values on them?

Is it just my Intellivision that are having these problems or is any one else having problems with these roms?

Nor me neither the dozen of italian guys that made a batch of RTO carts have had issue with that roms (and bad apple was one of the most tested by me, since i worked a lot for manage his huge banking switch). And we used the default timing, so it seems strange to me the great difference with your tests. Could you test your cart with different console? Which 74245 logic IC did you use?

I got 74LVC245 from AliExpress and made 4 RTO carts. They all behaved the exactly the same on my Intellivision so I think they are all good. Havn’t got another unit to test with, unfortunately.

I would like to clarify that all roms that I’ve tried boots up with the default settings (482/540) and only a few original games had glitches with those timings (Dracula and micro surgeon were the only ones I tried that crashed after a while). Bad Apple ran perfectly with 482/540.

But Antarctic Tales seems really picky with the timings. 
Please try it and see if it works for you all. I got the bin+cfg from here: 

21 minutes ago, Tissemon said:

But Antarctic Tales seems really picky with the timings. 
Please try it and see if it works for you all. I got the bin+cfg from here: 

Antartic Tales use ECS commands (you can check it reading the ECS section in its config files), so it works with ECS module, you must test the RTO with ECS harwdare. i'm pretty sure it's not a timing issue!

I have my ECS in its box, may be i'll check Antartic Tales with it in next days if i'll find time 

Edited by aotta

4 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Antarctic Tales does not use nor requires an ECS. The game code maps out the ECS rom. 

The "ecs=1" entry inside the .cfg file does not mean an ECS is required.

You can try running it on jzintv with the -s0 parameter to confirm.

Thank you for clarifying it, i red in the thread mentioned on your game that it work on jzintv "with ECS on",  but didn't tested myself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aotta said:

Yes, i'm an engineer, not a player, but i completed a couple of mission wihout any artifacts! ;)

Thank you for testing!

Then it's probably just my unit that is a bit weird.

I'm starting to suspect that one or both of the crystals on my Intellivision has gone a bit off - that might explain why I get gray color instead of white on my CRT as well... I'll see if I can find new ones, and try swapping them out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: It wasn't in my plan to have to update the bus timing for NTSC consoles, but it looks like that's going to be required before this is ready for proper "production".

My old Model I died a few weeks ago (will try to repair at some point). I've got another one on the way, which hopefully works. Then I'll be able to resume testing.

Hopefully I'll be able to find settings that work well for the different models. It's easy enough for a user to "upload" a new file for the Teensy inside the cartridge, but it'd be much better if that wasn't required.

• Like 4

On 6/20/2023 at 11:29 PM, 5-11under said:

Update: It wasn't in my plan to have to update the bus timing for NTSC consoles, but it looks like that's going to be required before this is ready for proper "production".

My old Model I died a few weeks ago (will try to repair at some point). I've got another one on the way, which hopefully works. Then I'll be able to resume testing.

Hopefully I'll be able to find settings that work well for the different models. It's easy enough for a user to "upload" a new file for the Teensy inside the cartridge, but it'd be much better if that wasn't required.

I think the best way is to read some optional variables from a file named something like config.cfg or options.txt from the root of the SD-card. Shouldn’t be too hard to add, code-wise.

Edited by Tissemon
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tissemon said:

I think the best way is to read some optional variables from a file named something like config.cfg or options.txt from the root of the SD-card. Shouldn’t be too hard to add, code-wise.

Thanks! That's a great idea. That would be a great solution to hopefully narrow down the actual timing required for various console models, etc.

I can add it so that the user could select a) the default timing file, or b) game-specific timing file, or c) alternate timing file, or perhaps even an option to change the numbers on the fly. Something like that... I'll keep thinking about it.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, utri007 said:

Would you have one RTO for me? I would happy to buy one.

I don't need a case as I have 3D printer myself. I'll PM to you.

This version uses a Coleco shell (Coleco made a few games for the Intellivision), as shown here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348005-rto-my-production-take-on-the-multicart/?do=findComment&comment=5251560

It's not ready for sale yet, but thanks to the timing file idea from Tissemon, it's a step closer.

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

This version uses a Coleco shell (Coleco made a few games for the Intellivision), as shown here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348005-rto-my-production-take-on-the-multicart/?do=findComment&comment=5251560

It's not ready for sale yet, but thanks to the timing file idea from Tissemon, it's a step closer.

I'd buy one without a case if shells ever become annoying to source.  Got several Intellivisions and Aquarius's?  Aquiari?

• 2 weeks later...