IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

great work! unbelievable what has been achieved in last 2 years when g2f started...

all the examples definitly show what could have been done... but as mentioned thousand times... would there in the 80s more people using our machines... the possiblity would have been much higher that something new appear like trackers, g2f, etc........

... would there in the 80s more people using our machines... the possiblity would have been much higher that something new appear like trackers, g2f, etc........
Yes absolutely, if there were a few pioneers back then to show the masses what was possible then maybe more interest would have been gained from the software houses and the actual gamers too. The early US games from Lucasfilm etc were really outstanding, later into the 80's very few titles appeared for the Atari in Europe was never as big as the Spectrum and C64 and interest died off. Particulary quickly because the later A8 titles that did appear were poor 3 colour ports which devalued the machines abilities in the eyes of the public. Ah well it's all history now.. at least it has been shown today what it was capable of back then. Edited by Tezz

The Golden Wheatfield - or -

Shame on you, M...agnetic Scrolls... ;-)

Years ago, I bought the just released adventure game

'The Guild of Thieves' for my beloved XL. The adventure itself

was ok (beside the stupid 'turn disk' system), but the graphics

were more than lousy - several images used only 3 colors!?!

We remember that the 16 bit versions become famous for their great

graphics!

It is a cold comfort that the Amstrad CPC version looks terrible too -

even if this machine is also able to produce much better graphics.

The only 8 bit version which looks overall nice, is the C64 port.

I think Magnetic Scrolls was very lazy - when you compare the images

below, you will detect, that the XL version (A8-O(riginal)) is a

downgrade of the C64 graphic (with only *3* colors). Please note, that

you cannot even detect a 'wheatfield' in the picture when you don't know

the original...

It took only 5 min of my time to produce better graphics by using the ST

version, decrease the color count to 4 and mix it with the C64 version.

This graphic, done without any 'tricks' represent my expectations when

I bought the game (A8-4). (If you don't like the dark brown border colour,

just replace it with black, it still looks better than the released

version...)

Now, in the year 2005, I tried to rebuild the 16 bit graphic as close

as possible with today tool(s) - ok, it took HOURS but examine the

result... (A8-G2F)

Imagine what could happend, if the XL version included this kind

of images... :twisted:

post-7778-1128372351_thumb.png

GWF.zip

• Like 1

The Golden Wheatfield - or -

Shame on you, M...agnetic Scrolls... ;-)

While an action game was harder to code, when enhancing the colours.... what M.-Scrolls did was not worth to be called a graphic adventure.

All you saw on the screen was some grey pixel-gathering... ridiculous ... if not even horrible to see such misfits (the pawn too) of computerart...

There have been many other G.A.'s with also using 4 colour images, but the player saw all necessary visuable onscreen.

Btw: Very nice work.

BTW: By watching most of the now available G2F-pictures & comparing them with C64 Pictures, shows, where the advantage of the A8 is. The C64 can have a higher colour-density, but 16 colour are still 16 colours.

"Ambient" as done with the Shadow of the Beast, or the "16-bit looking" wheat-field are that good, because of the available colour-pallette.

Using G2F gives it a fair colour-density / colour pallette balancing.

Heck.... if we only could turn back time ... :ponder:

With all these latest G2F's, I thought it was a good time that I posted some more images of my new G2F's for you all....

940735[/snapback]

Very well done. The endscreen is amazing.

I like to know how long did you worked on this?

(I think some tasks with G2F are to complicated, what do you miss most?)

For me, it would help a lot, if the 'Check-Window'-table also shows a column with

the names and values of the changed registers. When resolving a conflict, this would

be an practical enhancement. When furthermore editing the table would be allowed

and I could change register values immediately and haven't to twiddle around with

start & range field of the color & PMG dialog things would go much faster...

But first of all an update button would also help: I have to close and reopen the

dial to see if my conflict has changed...

Edited by Irgendwer

...what M.-Scrolls did was not worth to be called a graphic adventure.

All you saw on the screen was some grey pixel-gathering... ridiculous ... if not even horrible to see such misfits (the pawn too)  of computerart...

941942[/snapback]

I agree. Grey slobber. I was quite annoyed, because the C64 graphic doesn't look

that bad. I hoped the visualization was near to the Dallas Quest, International

Karate or 221b Baker Street ports. All these games looked good (and used PMG

to beautify the screen...)

Maybe we get another chance if someone tries to port the parser back

to the A8? (http://magnetic.sourceforge.net/)

...just kidding - I think the memory footprint esp. when using cc65 will be

too big even for a memory enhanced machine.

But a new game for the A8 and a interesting challange would be a 'Myst'

implementation (I think there is no 8 bit version yet).

That would be quite funny...

@Irgendwer

Ofcourse it's your picture, But I liked to make the picture more "summer".

What do you think about it?

At least it shows, how "fine" screens can be adjusted.

942290[/snapback]

Funny - before submitting the image I reduced the lightness of the shadow, sky and grass, because I think the impression is stronger. :)

The lighter version is closer to the original but I think the shadow in conjuction to

the grass is too light - but no one can judge about taste.

How did you change the colors? Did you also modified each section in G2F

and applied the change? (I think so, you 'destroyed' the foot of the big right

tree... ;) )

IMHO is this also a point where tebe could ease the usage...

Very well done. The endscreen is amazing. I like to know how long did you worked on this?
Thanks, it's difficult to estimate how long that took to complete because I work a bit at a time. I guess 14 hours maybe, perhaps more. I prefer to work in a single char line strip at a time when the pics are complicated to produce in g2f. I work in Photoshop first carefully pre-planing and working out. I determine the most used colours in this "strip" and which 2 of the 5 pf colours are not used together in a character position this will determine which to use for the inverse. Normally pictures such as sotb with it's subtle shading would make it more difficult to work with so I temporarily use primary colours so I can see what I am doing which is altered to the correct colours when finished. The rest of the colours on the strip are of course with the PMs. The most complicated G2f I have done so far was the Psygnosis Logo. It was a lot of work. as the logo is not filling the screen, I was able to reposition the PMs to each pixel (I orginally drew a 3 colour version of this with Blazing paddles back in 1991 with just the shade rasters on the text)

(I think some tasks with G2F are to complicated, what do you miss most?)

For me, it would help a lot, if the 'Check-Window'-table also shows a column with

the names and values of the changed registers. When resolving a conflict, this would be an practical enhancement. When furthermore editing the table would be allowed and  I could change register values immediately and haven't to twiddle around with start & range field of the color & PMG dialog things would go much faster...

But first of all an update button would also help: I have to close and reopen the

dial to see if my conflict has changed...

The window displaying register values on the line you're working on would be good. Definately being able to edit this table to change and/or add register values is something I have thought useful in the past, that would be a great help. Perhaps a "real time" error check and possibly an intelligent error correction to spread changes over the previous line/s when too many changes have been made on a single scanline as can happen a lot when using cut and paste. So far this has to be manually diagnosed and corrected which is a long job.

I would really like to be able to edit the PMs size/position/colour during zoom mode as it's difficult to see with pixel acuracy when zoomed out. I normally set the position then zoom in to make sure i've got it correct then zoom back out to set it again etc..

Rotating colour register values (or colour animation as some might describe it) within the dli would be good such as the bombjack title posted above

All easy stuff for a great coder like Tebe to include in the next release.. Hint hint ! :D

Edited by Tezz

Funny - before submitting the image I reduced the lightness of the shadow, sky and grass, because I think the impression is stronger.  :)

The lighter version is closer to the original but I think the shadow in conjuction to

the grass is too light - but no one can judge about taste.

Here are some photos of a real:Wheatfield

As you can see, the dry wheat is reflecting the light with a much higher brightness than the grass. Now imagine the Degree of the sun shining over the area and the street is even dirty and dry.... "my" correction is simply more realistic. And why not using the best possibilities?

:ponder: ;)

It's a 3D smile... I added a pirate style.

In Latin America there was very popular comic called "La Zorra y el Cuervo" , that means "The Fox and the Crow". I draw the characters in paint and exported to g2f and added color to the painting. It takes me about 6 hours to complete the work.

This time, I learned more about G2F format and his tool. I wanted G2F.exe has a fill tool, at least for working only in graphics area. (I have to fill pixel by pixel :rolling: )

cuervo7.zip

post-6191-1128840619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allas

Well, another six hours for this picture...

I'm going to call "Irata Princess"

manga5.zip

Now I'm very tired... I'm going to sleep... I think I could put more effort in the background graphics.... maybe a castle... I will complete tomorrow... :sleep:

Mario

post-6191-1128861566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allas