IGNORED

Switchblade II Release

madman

I feel like there's almost nothing out there on this release, so here's a thread. Switchblade II was released for the Jag at this year's Midwest Gaming Classic. It's the ST version and was released by Piko. There are 200 MGC variants and leftovers are available at https://www.jjgames.com/#!/Switchblade-II-MGC-Exclusive-Atari-JAGUAR-Limit-2/p/545591031/category=148553001

$85 w/a numbered coin and t-shirt, free shipping. Don't yell at me about price, import taxes, shipping to the North Pole, etc I'm just the messenger here. I liked the game on the Lynx, looks like the ST version got some good reviews so I grabbed it.

• Like 11

I picked one of these up at the MGC and played partway through the second level.  It's...alright.  I hate games where Up is mapped to Jump.  But in Switchblade II, you control the height of your jump by tapping Down just before you hit Up to jump.  It's just awkward.  This is a very bare-bones port.  I've only played slightly further than this in the Lynx port, but I don't remember that one having such drawn out, monotonous levels.

5 minutes ago, Machine said:

So I ordered this and realized it never asked me for the shirt size? Did I miss something on the order form?

It's random, either L or XL. They're mostly down to XLs at this point based on what I saw on FB.

After madman's post, I rushed to the site to order the game.

Being in Europe, this game costs approx. 100,- USD, including shipping, and that is without taxes, and import fees.

So no Switchblade II for me on the Jaguar, I enjoy it on the Lynx, and can play it on the ST.

Bummer, though...

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Thanks for the heads up.  This was definitely a stealthy-ish release.

Yeah I legitimately thought I was missing something and was going to get mocked for not knowing about the release. I didn't see any mention of it on Piko's social media accounts either. Usually any release for the Jag gets a lot of attention on here so it was a bit bizarre. At any rate, the word is out and there are plenty of copies available for those who want one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machine said:

Got mine today. Looks great. Love the T-shirt with the Jagfest logo. Very cool!

I got mine last week, I can't find my Jag s-video cable so I can't comment on the game, but I think as a collector package it's a great set. The numbered coin is a nice little unique item too. My only suggestion to Piko would be to proofread the manuals as there are some typos in it. Other than that, nice box, a cart is a cart and the label looks great too. This was my first Piko purchase so it's good to see they're putting out a quality product.

• Like 2

Crap. I got mine Friday as I was scrambling to begin the 120-mile trek to see Cardinals game. Every time I read this thread at office, I vow to open box when I get home. Then I get home and start another I-War session for what will be a very long longplay video ...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sargon said:

I received my order on Friday and hopefully will be able to try it out soon.

If anyone just wants a shirt, send me a PM.  I received an XL and if someone wants it I'll send it for basically the shipping cost.

I will buy it from ya!

PM sent!

On 4/18/2023 at 7:50 PM, madman said:

I got mine last week, I can't find my Jag s-video cable so I can't comment on the game, but I think as a collector package it's a great set. The numbered coin is a nice little unique item too. My only suggestion to Piko would be to proofread the manuals as there are some typos in it. Other than that, nice box, a cart is a cart and the label looks great too. This was my first Piko purchase so it's good to see they're putting out a quality product.

Actually, We didn't do anything related to text on the game. This was a Midwest Classic release more thana Piko Release. They handled the packaging text, we just put it together for them and they approved.

But next time we'll put extra eyes on a release like this to avoid any errors!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took customs a while to decide on whether I was allowed to have the game, but they finally made up their minds! Been enjoying this quite a bit.

I know its not the best platformer out there but I find it to be a fair challenge compared to a lot of other games. It's also interesting to see the differences between this and the Lynx port.

The coin + T-shirt make it a really nice addition to the collection.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

I missed out on this originally but for UK jag users you can pre order Switchblade II again from here: https://funstock.co.uk/products/switchblade-ii-jaguar

I just pre ordered a copy this evening, it states it is a port of the Amiga version and will ship at the end of this month, so now pretty much. Looking forward to playing this on my Atari Jaguar.