IGNORED

Atari VCS 2

bluenomadgaming

16 hours ago, Gunther said:

Possibly the Polymega Remix 2600/7800.

Tomorrow cannot come sooner.

46 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Really?  🙂

You're not seeing the console they are clearly showing you?  Look again, carefully.  It's not the original one, looks slightly different around the switches.

We'll know for sure later today.

I did state that it would play 2600/7800 carts, so I have no idea what you're even talking about.

Stay Salty...

26 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Well, now you can get all of the details here:

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

Thanks for the link.  I read up on the info about this new console.  I saw the compatibility list.  Nothing about homebrew game compatibility.  Hopefully it can play 2600 & 7800 homebrews.

Edited by Intellivision Master

You have some serious comprehension issues.

You SEE a 2600 and say it's "Possibly the Polymega Remix 2600/7800."
THEN you say "At no point did I say it was the Polymega Remix" - WTF?
THEN you reveal yourself as a whiner with the "junk" comment.

Yeah, I'm laughing at you.   Never change, stay salty.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, zzip said:

All I see is a gadget with weird 1970's style levers,  a woodgrained panel with an Atari logo and some kind of cartridge like thing sticking out, no idea what it could be...   :P

2600+ ??   My money was on a new Amico redesign..   well that's $20 I'll never see again!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jhd said:

Well, I was interested but, "As of this time Atari does not ship orders outside of the USA". 

Clearly they do not want my money. 

Hey, the 2600+ will be sold outside of the US.  The links to our international distributors were not working at the last moment so we are trying to work with them on getting that fixed.  All the 2600+ stuff will be available outside of the US.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Super excited for the 2600+ I'm in the UK but unfortunately can't purchase it 😥 i have a family member living in the states so i might need to get it through them if the website doesn't get fixed to accept orders outside the US as i really don't want to miss out on this. Well time to pack up and shelf my Atari VCS 800 now along with my other 4 consoles or use it in PC mode, its been a fun ride with the VCS 800 but i suspect it probably wont be around much longer with this coming out especially if it can play homebrew, the 2600 plus will destroy the VCS 800 in sales to especially if its being sold outside the US. I honestly wish the VCS was giving the chance of being sold outside the US i know it would sell here in the UK without a problem. 

4 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

You have some serious comprehension issues.

You SEE a 2600 and say it's "Possibly the Polymega Remix 2600/7800."
THEN you say "At no point did I say it was the Polymega Remix" - WTF?
THEN you reveal yourself as a whiner with the "junk" comment.

Yeah, I'm laughing at you.   Never change, stay salty.

Right...

I like the way you quoted my speculation; why did you get your panties in a twist over that comment?

It's a 2600+, seeing as you're being pedantic.

I would think it was junk if it was yet *another* lame 2600 variant, as most  would agree.

Do you work for ATARI?

It's funny that it turned out to be a 2600/7800 player, as stated in my original post that got your panties in a knot.

Possibly doesn't mean definately, no matter how much you want it to.

Edited by Gunther

Seriously, this excites me a lot, but I'm going to wait for user reviews on youtube channels to decide whether to buy it or not. I would have liked to buy the atari xp 50th anniversary collection, but 1000 dollars is too much for someone like me who lives in latin america.

Hmm might be worth waiting for a review actually for some people. I was and still am super exited and will purchase the 2600 plus as soon as i get the option to place a PRE order, the moneys sitting waiting for one, but after hearing things like its technically a very low end rom dumper that will most likely have lots of compatibility issues with certain carts etc from people who are far more knowledgeable than myself with these things got me thinking it might not be what i first thought it would be although its certainly no micro console or flashback its a beautifully designed piece of tech but for some outside it having a modern HDMI port for modern displays it might be worth sticking to your old 2600/7800 and getting it modded to work with a modern display if the 2600 plus isn't FPGA and will have compatibility issues. It looks like its not out to replace the Atari VCS 800 either and changes nothing for it so the VCS 800 will remain in my collection if its still getting new games and support and the 2600 plus will join it soon 🙂 i think having the Atari VCS 800 and 2600 plus set up next to each other would be the ultimate set up! Maybe through an Atari Jaguar in there too.

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

For any aussies it available @ EB Games 

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/atari/299978-atari-2600-console

I've a sneaking suspicion that that's just a placeholder, seeing as the same store will also let you order the GameStation Pro for supposed delivery in October:

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/atari/298561-atari-gamestation-pro-retro-game-system

Official channels should hopefully pop up soon though.

• Like 1

At first my reaction was "wow, it can play 7800 games!   My OG 2600 (which I still have) can't do that!".    Then I remembered that I don't actually own any 7800 carts, just the digital purchases from the VCS store and various homebrew roms people posted here.

Plus my 2600 carts are in storage, I've only played ROMs under emulation since like '95 and have no reason to go back.   My VCS meets my emulation needs fine, it can play most of the games the 2600+ can't,   so I'll just stick with that and skip the 2600+

On 8/22/2023 at 1:06 PM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Super excited for the 2600+ I'm in the UK but unfortunately can't purchase it 😥 i have a family member living in the states so i might need to get it through them if the website doesn't get fixed to accept orders outside the US as i really don't want to miss out on this. Well time to pack up and shelf my Atari VCS 800 now along with my other 4 consoles or use it in PC mode, its been a fun ride with the VCS 800 but i suspect it probably wont be around much longer with this coming out especially if it can play homebrew, the 2600 plus will destroy the VCS 800 in sales to especially if its being sold outside the US. I honestly wish the VCS was giving the chance of being sold outside the US i know it would sell here in the UK without a problem. 

Well, I hope you're wrong about VCS sales being cannibalized by the 2600+.  I ordered my VCS 800 yesterday.  I went to their site to look at the 2600+ and decided I didn't want it, but when I saw that the VCS was on sale for $224.99 including both controllers I bought that instead.  I think the 2600+ is a cool idea, but I already have all the 8-bit Atari consoles so honestly I don't have a really strong incentive to buy one.  Maybe if my 7800 broke I would.  The VCS on the other hand has always been interesting to me, but too much $$$.  With the price almost down to $200, I caved and bought one. ;)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Carl Gundel said:

Well, I hope you're wrong about VCS sales being cannibalized by the 2600+.  I ordered my VCS 800 yesterday.  I went to their site to look at the 2600+ and decided I didn't want it, but when I saw that the VCS was on sale for $224.99 including both controllers I bought that instead.  I think the 2600+ is a cool idea, but I already have all the 8-bit Atari consoles so honestly I don't have a really strong incentive to buy one.  Maybe if my 7800 broke I would.  The VCS on the other hand has always been interesting to me, but too much $$$.  With the price almost down to $200, I caved and bought one. ;)

The VCS is a great choice and the 2600 plus doesn't effect the Atari VCS 800 in anyway plus there's a USB  cartridge reader in development for the Atari VCS that will allow it to play all the same carts as the 2600 plus if you wanted to go down that route eventually so the VCS is a solid option and a good purchase too . The only reason the 2600 plus will outsell the VCS is that Atari refuse to sell the VCS outside the US so its kinda locked down and holding the console back from a whole new audience 😥 I did read on Discord that the Atari VCS might be getting sold on Amazon for international buyers now to but i don't know if it was said in error. I ended up placing a pre order for the 2600 plus and all games and accessories so i can have it set up next to my Atari VCS 800 in my main room on the modern display, i certainly wont be retiring my original 2600 and 7800 though those are in my game room hooked up to the old CRT. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

The VCS 800 is pretty cool, especially when you add a couple of the available "Daptors". 

VCS800 5200-Dapter.jpg

Wow i definitely need a few of those adapters and the 5200 trakball! We never did get that over here in the UK or the 5200 sadly. I have the 2600 trackball but its no where as beastly as that one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I have the 2600 trackball but its no where as beastly as that one.

The 5200 TB is huge and plays well. I have TBs for the 2600 too. I’m running emulators for the 2600, 5200 and 7800 from an external SSD with my VCS 800. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Carl Gundel said:

Can you use a mouse in place of a trackball when running emulators on the VCS 800?

I haven’t tried it, but I believe Stella allows you to chose between mouse or track-ball within the game settings.

I use my mouse with Centipede Recharged it works well.