IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

30 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

@Ben from Plaion

Ben,  a friend of mine (Dirt Gherkin) was asking me if the 2600+ will play James'  HardWork's 2600 Knight Rider game?

(Quiet people,  Ben will know this (after being entertained))  :)

I've been looking for freedom!

0:57 really kicks off

Atari could sell a nice jacket like that.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Haha 2

Well,

Just in case there's some new members here (Remember don't talk about Fight Club*) who are scratching their heads about all this Knight Rider business...

**Your initiation,  pledges**

Read this thread!  (below)  and I think you'll be glad you did!   Also Once the New Year starts,  we all start posting in that thread again!   Sure some of us may jump the gun (Hey I Had to,  my post also dealt with Christmas)...

*I think you'll agree that the best way to get people talking about something is to tell them not to.

Shout outs to all the actual HomeBrewers,  who really do put in hours of Actual HARD WORK!   Merry Christmas to you!  CHEERS!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Merry Christmas to @Ben from Plaion. You have worked your ass off. The updated firmware has been, I feel, a project of passion. We will all appreciate the update! I amazed that Rikki and Vikki will actually work, I had my doubts!. Your attention to detail has been dedicated and comes from a true passion to the community.

Thank you,

Thank you.

Thank you,

@Ben from Plaion

Edited by SuperZapperRecharge
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

Merry Christmas to @Ben from Plaion. You have worked your ass off. The updated firmware has been, I feel, a project of passion. We will all appreciate the update! I amazed that Rikki and Vikki will actually work, I had my doubts!. Your attention to detail has been dedicated and comes from a true passion to the community.

Thank you,

Thank you.

Thank you,

@Ben from Plaion

Thanks dude, but I just shuffle papers around and email people.

Here is a message elsewhere on AA posted today from the guy that's done the actual 7800 work for the update

Merry Christmas to you. Let's hope it all pans out sweet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Here is a message elsewhere on AA posted today from the guy that's done the actual 7800 work for the update

Just to be clear, @RevEng has done a tremendous amount of work to make the 7800 portion of the update possible. 

Chris.

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another one for @Ben from Plaion

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the 2022 release of Yars' Return is not working properly. The right side of the playfield is not drawing or reacting to shots correctly. The starting stage should have a circular barrier, but the right side is like a big rectangular block that you can't shoot while the left side is a semicircle that operates as intended.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:25 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

OK I'll make some PAL50 carts.

Yup send me the NTSC cart and I'll send a PAL one back. I'm in the UK.

Once I have some I'll post here and anyone interested can send me a DM to arrange.

Hi @Ben from Plaion, does the offer for swapping Berzerk NTSC for PAL50 still stand?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Sure. DM me.

@Ben from PlaionHi Ben, I have both Berzerk Enhanced and Mr Run and Jump but would like to know what the PAL versions are like. Are they 60hz? Are they full speed? Are there additional borders? 

If they are in any way comprised I'll stick with the default NTSC carts, but if they are equals but PAL then the compatibility with old hardware is nice. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

@Ben from PlaionHi Ben, I have both Berzerk Enhanced and Mr Run and Jump but would like to know what the PAL versions are like. Are they 60hz? Are they full speed? Are there additional borders? 

If they are in any way comprised I'll stick with the default NTSC carts, but if they are equals but PAL then the compatibility with old hardware is nice. 

Thanks 

I would not recommend PAL carts at 50hz over NTSC at 60hz. NTSC is just miles better because of the 60hz. Even then look at Mario Bros NTSC looks much nicer then PAL cause of the better colours imo. 

• Like 2

I've used my 2600+ in a new video for my channel, hopefully I did not say too many factual errors regarding the Atari 2600 consoles.
For some reason the Parker Brother "Frogger" cartridge stopped working and then crashed, I tried to clean the contacts, made no difference.

• Like 2

In regards to UI support, how about this solution:

UI and other niceties are disabled by default.

UI can only be enabled at boot.

This is achieved by pressing and holding the Game Select or Game Reset switches while the Atari logo is still on-screen.

Once in the UI, players can enable save states and also change whether or not the UI appears when no cartridges are present.

You could enable other stuff here like Driving Controller emulation, external ROM dumping, and cheats.

You could even add the ability to pause both 2600 and 7800 games through the use of the screen ratio switch.

Oh and being able to switch between NTSC, PAL, and SECAM here would be good too!

Ideally, any changes made here would be retained.

If the UI is enabled, players can access the UI in-game by first pausing the game and then hitting the Game Select or Reset switches.

You could even make Pause + Game Reset a hard reset that reboots the console.  (This would be a good way to address any weirdness that results from hot-swapping.)

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed a typo and decreased the indents for some ideas.

10 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

In regards to UI support, how about this solution:

UI and other niceties are disabled by default.

UI can only be enabled at boot.

This is achieved by pressing and holding the Game Select or Game Reset switches while the Atari logo is still on-screen.

Once in the UI, players can enable save states and also change whether or not the UI appears when no cartridges are present.

You could enable other stuff here like Driving Controller emulation, external ROM dumping, and cheats.

You could even add the ability to pause both 2600 and 7800 games through the use of the screen ratio switch.

Oh and being able to switch between NTSC, PAL, and SECAM here would be good too!

Ideally, any changes made here would be retained.

If the UI is enabled, players can access the UI in-game by first pausing the game and then hitting the Game Select or Reset switches.

You could even make Pause + Game Reset a hard reset that reboots the console.  (This would be a good way to address any weirdness that results from hot-swapping.)

All excellent suggestions.

UI I'm going to do, its too much of a modern QOL feature to ignore. Someone tipped me over the edge the other day on AA when they said Mr Run and Jump could do with save states and I thought he's right. 

Thing is, as I understand it a lot of the config is done at boot with predefined settings from both emulators which then is controlled by libretro I presume for system wide functionality. Thats why I cant just switch on the amazing Stella UI without a serious rebuild of the whole systems software architecture. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

Personally I would always prefer a UI that can be bypassed altogether for that old school feel (but can still be accessed for tinkering)

Just make two firmware versions. I still can't see why having a HIDDEN UI is so manacing to the experience, but whatever, just split it.

I've anticipated some sort of UI, but I think it should be well hidden and probably only needs a very few options (scanlines), preferably by system (2600 vs 7800).  At any rate for those who don't want it needs stay out of the way and hard to activate by accident. 

Save states, even rewind, I've had for some time on Flashback units, but I rarely use them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, protomank said:

Just make two firmware versions. I still can't see why having a HIDDEN UI is so manacing to the experience, but whatever, just split it.

As a programmer myself, I would really dislike having to maintain two different versions of a firmware, makes tracking potential issues more difficult because now you need to know if the problem happens only in one version only or both, and which one it is. 🙀

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dbug said:

As a programmer myself, I would really dislike having to maintain two different versions of a firmware, makes tracking potential issues more difficult because now you need to know if the problem happens only in one version only or both, and which one it is. 🙀

I am a software engineer. The code would be the exactly same, just a flag to enable disable it would change between versions. I fail to see this being any issues. I do agree it is not ideal, but for some people here, it seems if you add the UI and saves they will be forced to use, like someone putting a gun on their heads, them and all joy of their livfes will be lost forever :D

I still fail to see how such hidden option YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE are so bad. Maybe I am just the crazy one here, so I'll leave at it. Someday, someone will hack the plus and we'll end with a open source firmware that can do everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, protomank said:

I am a software engineer. The code would be the exactly same, just a flag to enable disable it would change between versions. I fail to see this being any issues. I do agree it is not ideal, but for some people here, it seems if you add the UI and saves they will be forced to use, like someone putting a gun on their heads, them and all joy of their livfes will be lost forever :D

I still fail to see how such hidden option YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE are so bad. Maybe I am just the crazy one here, so I'll leave at it. Someday, someone will hack the plus and we'll end with a open source firmware that can do everything.

Even if the source is the same, it's still two different binary packages, which means that some people will use the wrong one, and if a bug happens, you have to know in which configuration it happened.
Personally I'm fine with an UI as long as it only appears as the result of an actual action of the player, so if you just remove and insert cartridges you don't see any UI by default.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dbug said:

Personally I'm fine with an UI as long as it only appears as the result of an actual action of the player, so if you just remove and insert cartridges you don't see any UI by default.

Exactly. Since the 2600+ has not extra buttons (besides the 16:9 switch), there would have to be a special input (console + controller) combination to enter the UI.

• Like 3