IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

If they had gone this route for their re-emergence several years back, instead of some of their other antics, it would have done much for their clout. I'm tempted, but am curious about 7800 compatibility, as well. What about Bob? ;)

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It's a good price for 2023, everything is more expensive nowadays, and it has the cartridge support that "everyone" says that they want.

Maybe they should put out another Atari Flashback with 100 games on board at the same time? Oh wait -- I just remembered that they are https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/01/atari-and-myarcade-are-launching-a-new-home-console-this-year

Do you think this will confuse people? There's 

Atari VCS (mini PC, mostly dead)

Atari MyArcade (standalone plug and play and portable)

Atari 2600+ (enthusiasts only?)

Atari 50 (software on consoles)

Is there such a thing as too much Atari?

Better all of that than crypto. At least those products are game related and fit with the brand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alex_79 said:

Actually, I think they just meant to indicate the "DE-9" 9-pin connector, which was also used for PC serial ports, in addition to countless other purposes...

After looking at the CX40+ and CX30+ description, there's no doubt that they are mistakenly referring to the 9 pin connectors as "serial ports", which makes no sense: Atari joysticks and paddles are not "serial" devices.

I hope this only affects the site and they didn't print that in the actual boxes and manuals...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I doubt anyone could put together an FPGA with a dedicated Atari cartridge slot, controller ports, period-accurate switches, and HDMI out for $129. But Analogue Pocket has nice cores for Atari 2600 and 7800, all that's needed is a cartridge port. Simple as that! 

https://store.analogue.co

Yeah, price isn't too bad.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

And it looks like a Happy Meal toy. I'd pay extra for the "real thing." This is why Atari sued Hyperkin over trade dress when they had a woodgrain version. 

Those switches, the backwards cartridge, the weird orange crush aesthetic, yikes

Screenshot2023-08-22at12_41_19PM.thumb.png.deb526228eecce485141a3cde6b9ff8c.png

ahh that's better

Screenshot2023-08-22at12_41_44PM.thumb.png.ad0d0d9c9cd29d8c73fb84cd7774ab22.png

What's wrong with these?

image.thumb.jpeg.7e4a1661fdd855d0740404460add8346.jpeg

BTW: IMO the most important part is at the back (lower right):
proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.8-bitcentral.com%2Fimages%2Fmiscellaneous%2Fretron77%2Frear2.jpg&sp=1692723183Tbb57f4df0ae4a0c44011afc03eaa389172aca64845edb0d91874c0d65e46881f

I have always called the cartridge slot of the R77 a lousy gimmick. And currently it looks like the same for the 2600+. Except that there is nothing for backup.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

The legal papers about it (link above) are interesting and explain why we won't see any future products with that styling from Hyperkin without a kickback to Atari. 

Yes, so called "Atari" is "optimizing" their profits. As we might have seen here at AA lately too. Doesn't make me exactly happy.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes, so called "Atari" is "optimizing" their profits. As we might have seen here at AA lately too. Doesn't make me exactly happy.

I seem to recall at least one fiscal quarter when they made more from winning copyright disputes than they did making or licensing games. As someone else said, at least it's better than crypto schemes. 

@Albert I think he's wondering if AtariAge was getting a piece of the action, or if you were just told to stop selling homebrew cartridges with copyrighted material. 

• Like 2

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You know the ongoing speculations regarding the purge of the AA store.

Why am I replying to this . . . oh well

I am totally neutral here, but even if Albert was somehow trying to drive up sales by discontinuing products en mass, he's still offering a discount on products that have been on sale for several years at the same price.

So, if this is a conspiracy then I suppose the worst possible outcome is that Albert would continue to offer those same products at the reduced price?  But now he's convinced people to buy them in a rush?

It seems like the most likely outcome is that Albert stops offering those products exactly as he said he would (no reason to think otherwise) and members have been extended a never before seen discount on things they actually want to buy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wongojack said:

So, if this is a conspiracy then I suppose the worst possible outcome is that Albert would continue to offer those same products at the reduced price?  But now he's convinced people to buy them in a rush?

I've seen some speculation about this, there's no way in hell I would mislead people by stating games were being removed from the store in order to drive up sales, and then add those games to the store en masse after I've already removed them.  It's possible that some games will return over time if I'm able to secure licensing for them, which is something I aim to do, but many games certainly will not be coming back at all.

..Al

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

I've seen some speculation about this, there's no way in hell I would mislead people by stating games were being removed from the store in order to drive up sales, and then add those games to the store en masse after I've already removed them. 

And that's definitely not what I am thinking.

• Like 1

Close but no cigar.  If it still can't play my most sophisticated carts from AtariAge by the likes of John Champeau or utilize my AtariVox, this still falls short of being the perfect, modern replacement for our beloved but aging consoles.

Edit:  On further reflection, I'm no longer sure it's even close.  And on a side note, when I commented, there was one page on this thread, then I press send and suddenly there's 3 pages.  I DID NOT take 2 hours to type my comment out so I don't know what happened there.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

I know, but since it came up here, I wanted to respond to that.  I was a bit aghast when I saw someone suggesting that somewhere on Facebook.

..Al

I heard a rumor that Atari was buying AtariAge. Obviously this isn't the right thread for it, and whatever happens (if anything) should get announced when all parties are ready. But here's a non-controversial question: apart from the packaging, are these the same game program?

Screenshot2023-08-22at1_20_25PM.thumb.png.e44bd0e9c3a9994063b1c95199bbf425.pngScreenshot2023-08-22at1_20_39PM.thumb.png.5ec19dad5c9a3a97a4f071871d4d0a80.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

So Atari is releasing their own HDMI 2600/7800 emulation box:

This product is only available for shipping in the United States.

Again ! But Why??? Are they crazy? Don't they want to make money and the product to be profitable?

• Like 1

I just woke up to find the junk mail in my inbox about this. Looked cool at first, but I found the compatibility list and noticed an awful lot of untested or incompatible games. Reading through this thread explains why that's the case. Oh well, I guess we're probably never gonna get the one thing we all want (2600 console with 100% compatibility with old and new games, SD card support, HDMI, etc.). That said, I don't find the price too unreasonable considering this is an official product, but I'll be sitting it out in hopes of a future rev that provides what it's currently missing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1