IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

14 minutes ago, kevtris said:

because they were limited to 2K and 4K games.  asteroids and centipede are larger than 4K and bankswitched.

Speaking of this cart, it's pretty funny seeing a dipswitch-based multicart in 2023.  Definitely the path of least resistance, and a menued one wouldn't have worked since they are just dumping the games... They could've gotten cute, however, and if the multicart was detected they could just sub a nice built in menu with the games already in the system.  But again, this is atari.  They like to hit the "Easy" button instead of going the extra mile.

They could have at least used a double-width DIP switch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This product clearly isn’t for me as all the Atari Flashbacks I have owned were purchased second-hand.

I agree with some of the comments so far that the MyArcade Gamestation and the Atari 2600 plus are likely hitting the same consumer market. I’m sure the cart dumper appeals to some people with an affinity for physical products, but to me it is just an added expense. Anyone who doesn’t have a nexus AFBX, AFB 50th, or Retro77 community build might want to buy the Atari 2600 plus, but how many of those people are left.

I would much rather have seen an update to the AFB 2 (2005) (Atari-On-A-Chip), with HDMI output, SDcard support, and fixes for the Starpath and other games that hit special R/W addresses that the Atari on a Chip wasn’t designed to play. 

The price point is too high. The $80 MSRP (only 1 controller?) of the AFBX / AFB50th is probably the highest amount you can expect to avoid the post Christmas bargain bins.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

I would much rather have seen an update to the AFB 2 (2005) (Atari-On-A-Chip), with HDMI output, SDcard support, and fixes for the Starpath and other games that hit special R/W addresses that the Atari on a Chip wasn’t designed to play.

This is exactly what I was hoping for when I first saw this. I wouldn't even care if they didn't fix a thing. Just be 98% hardware compatible with HDMI and I'd have already put in an order.

I like that this is happening but come on...the technology is right there: modern 2600-compatible hardware with cartridge interface (Flashback 2) + composite to HDMI converter (RetroTink, for example, I'm sure there are cheaper options that would be adequate) = something everybody could love. Probably with some revisions to the modern 2600 hardware (or even a modern implementation of 7800 hardware), we'd be able to plug in our modern homebrews, our flash carts, and our legacy cartridges from the ancient time and play in glorious HD.

If they're going to go all the way with supporting legacy cartridges and controllers, why not bridge the gap and support modern homebrews that use newer technology? They might even spark new interest. They were so close!

(I really want this regardless because the presentation is very nice)

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, tcmultimedia said:

Any idea of how many of these will be made?  A limited number?  It seems like lately the products released directly by Atari Corp sell out really fast, like their carts. 

These are not limited editions. They will be available for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Another low-effort emulation box. Yay. I've already been dissapointed by the Retron 77 and this sounds like the same thing plus spotty 7800 support to go along with the spotty 2600 support. Even just a 2600 using the chip from the flashback 2 or something would have been better.

But hey - we've only had 15 other options to choose from, so what's one more?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Exactly! Had they given us what you described, I would have purchased one more console. I already have a Retron77 with the community build and a modded FB2. The FB works with my Harmony, so this product is not worth purchasing for me either. 

• Like 2

I think the Atari+ is a step in the right direction; I wouldn't need one as I own a 7800.  Of course, nowadays, it's not like the early days of classic gaming back in the late 1990s and the 200s where older consoles (Atari, etc) were plentiful.  Ever since the second half of the 2010s, the older units are getting harder to find.

An Atari+ would be good for those unable to get an original console.

• Like 3

Seems genuinely interesting but I'll hold off until it's in people's hands and we get some real world reviews. I play on CRT anyway so don't really need it.

I do find it curious that they only provide a one-button joystick if it's 7800 compatible.

I did order Berzerk and a joystick though. Prices seem reasonable and shipping was only $5.

What a bizarre Atari marketing move imo.  An Atari 2600 revamp via emulation (again), 80% the size of the original, and not updated original hardware, and then you need the physical cartridges to play.  What a niche market.  40 to 60 year old grumpy old men.  Most of the enthusiast market will already have 2600s' cheaply modded for modern tvs.  So really your buying it for HDMI and then hope for the modern younger gamers to go out and buy 2600 carts, without the guarantee to play all games, homebrews etc!

bronsonheadshake.gif.607cb579dd27bc95c94a595439cdd1c8.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Absalon said:

Why is there no Pole Position on the 2600 compatibility list?

ScreenShot2023-08-22at10_35_21PM.thumb.png.90f637a9d7ac2614cd6f12d996e71798.png

Maybe you were looking for Pole Positn?

I'm more curious about the inclusion of this Crackpots bootleg:

ScreenShot2023-08-22at10_40_17PM.thumb.png.7465ff306c1204e1a71b5f187c7ce038.png

And this unreleased game:

ScreenShot2023-08-22at10_43_50PM.thumb.png.97988c1e096b51961020976de5dd76c5.png

Seriously, where'd they pull this game list from?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spriggy said:

What a bizarre Atari marketing move imo.  An Atari 2600 revamp via emulation (again), 80% the size of the original, and not updated original hardware, and then you need the physical cartridges to play.  What a niche market.  40 to 60 year old grumpy old men.  Most of the enthusiast market will already have 2600s' cheaply modded for modern tvs.  So really your buying it for HDMI and then hope for the modern younger gamers to go out and by 2600 carts, without the guarantee to play all games, homebrews etc!

bronsonheadshake.gif.607cb579dd27bc95c94a595439cdd1c8.gif

Exactly. 

If this thing were FGPA it would seel sky rocket high. 

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

@kevtris

Please put out what people want!  :)

(We know "Atari"'s not gonna do it!)

I wonder what old Jon Phelan thinks! phelan.JPG.81248a9d0fbb09c25dac8f1066ed7bc7.JPG

Plus ... is this another taco thread? @GoldLeader  Sorry. Couldn't help myself. 

GoldleaderTacoHunter.thumb.jpg.4f3f9b3ba57adc3f7179c7da8cd3c6a4.jpg

@Albert will not be happy if it is! My bad!

hiding-in-the-bushes.gif.7b08a4ee9f5b5227c99861a890ab701b.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2