IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

"Our solution for this was to make a multi-mapper that could handle the discrete hardware demands of almost any Atari 2600 game. The multi-mapper replaces five variations of three existing mappers, so we can manufacture one board rather than 15+. Now, we are able to make all of our games from a single PCB." ATARI XP, 01.27.2022

https://atari.com/blogs/atari/inside-the-cartridge-the-new-atari-2600-pcb

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Zonie said:

Define "Very Cheap". To fab a new chip, or even an old one, one must manufacture masks, develop a process, tape it out, build a probe card, etc, etc... Find a foundry fab that can actually do such old stuff on newer technology. I can think of only a handful, but then those only do military/govt chips and only their own.

You can buy a UMC 6502 or a 6507 for less than 2U$, a RAM I/O Timer goes for around the same price, and that's if you want to buy one of them second hand, if you were a big company you could probably buy a box with hundreds of chips directly from the manufacturer. The TIA would be the only issue, but there have been some mods that replace some of the functions of it, the 2600RGB is the first one I can think of, the entirety of the video signals are produced by it while the TIA handles the rest, mostly the audio. But honestly I don't know if it is an FPGA mod like the NESRGB.

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Nice!

With some educated guesses I'd say it supports 4K/8K/16K/32K games with or without ram.

It also looks very hackable :)

image.thumb.png.ec668754332bc35cb9dbfefb4c682299.png
(annotations are my educated guesses)

but to get back on topic. I'm very exited about the 2600+ even though it will play a limited collection of games. I think the 80% size will make it look cute and the lit up Atari logo 'Power LED' is awesome!

Saw it is also available for pre- order on Amazon US, Amazon UK and Amazon DE

Also found out the 2600+ is a colaboration between Atari and Plaion (Koch Media) (hopefully there is some good German quality under the hood :) )

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Blinky said:

Also found out the 2600+ is a colaboration between Atari and Plaion (Koch Media) (hopefully there is some good German quality under the hood :) )

Thanks, I had already thought so.

Actually the Stella team got contacted by Koch Media mid of last year. Since we had no time to actively participate, we (the Germans ;)) gave our best advice, especially based on our experience with the R77. And their feedback was positive. We even got offered a prototype for testing earlier this year, but that never went through. 

They are definitely using Stella. And based on our discussion, it seems the dumper MCU can be reprogrammed.🤞

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I don't care about emulation, SD flash carts or ARM-based homebrews....

I need something to play my existing Atari carts on my flatscreen with working joysticks & paddles.

Plus it compliments my existing Flashback by swapping power and HDMI cables.

Maybe I will preorder it, especially since it'll be shipped in time for my birthday.

Maybe if AtariAge can create a FPGA based 7800 that's better than the 2600+ for playing homebrews, then you can convince me to hold off...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

They are definitely using Stella. And based on our discussion, it seems the dumper MCU can be reprogrammed.🤞

So sad it's not FPGA based, even though as I previously aforementioned, such a weird marketing move either way.  Just another ATGames unit .... with no inbuilt games!  Anyways ...

Stelllaaaa.gif.e000675096d304a2785f5d44c4b0f129.gif

• Haha 3

I did preorder one, but did request a review unit and will do my best to test the 2600+.  I also have a Retron 77 and am currently updating it to Stella 6.6.    There is a lot of buzz about this console.   It may not play everything, but I am excited to see what it DOES play.   

• Like 10

1 hour ago, swlovinist said:

I did preorder one, but did request a review unit and will do my best to test the 2600+.  I also have a Retron 77 and am currently updating it to Stella 6.6.    There is a lot of buzz about this console.   It may not play everything, but I am excited to see what it DOES play.   

I am sure everybody is looking forward to your findings.

For testing the dumper, maybe have a look at the R77 compatibility list. Some games fail, even though the dumper should support them. This is because of a flawed cartridge port design and we should verify that Atari did not make the same mistake.

Also the supported controllers would be interesting (not sure if that part can be updated). How well do the paddles work? Driving controllers? Keypads? Trackballs? SaveKey? ...?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, alex_79 said:

The pads on the T-shaped extension of the board are actually for the LEDs that some of the new cartridges use.

Ah the T-shaped part makes more sense now. Cool there are/will be carts with LEDs (I guess that's where R1 is for then).

Do you happen to know if the carts are reprogrammable through the cart slot?

5 minutes ago, Blinky said:

Do you happen to know if the carts are reprogrammable through the cart slot?

I don't know for sure, but by looking at the traces visible in the official pics, one of the two GND pins seems to be repurposed for some other function, so that's very possible.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/327234-atari-sa-releasing-limited-run-2600-cartridges/?do=findComment&comment=5123038

The "Melody" boards used by many homebrews are programmable through the cartridge connector, and they also replace one of the GND pins with an additional I/O pin.

19 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

Thanks  for sharing that link. The pictures there reveal a bit more. R1 is not a current limiting resistor for the LEDs but a pull down resistor connected to cart pin 12 so it can be used for card detect too. Can't track where it goes from there but I'm sure it will go to the CPLD. If the CPLD would just invert the signal then it could be used to control the write enable pin of the EEPROM/flash

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Also the supported controllers would be interesting (not sure if that part can be updated). How well do the paddles work? Driving controllers? Keypads? Trackballs? SaveKey? ...?

I’m most interested in the this. I picked up a VCS800 and primarily use it for emulation. The adaptors from 2600/5200-daptor allow me to play 2600, 5200 & 7800 with my favorite OG controllers, including trak-balls.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am sure everybody is looking forward to your findings.

For testing the dumper, maybe have a look at the R77 compatibility list. Some games fail, even though the dumper should support them. This is because of a flawed cartridge port design and we should verify that Atari did not make the same mistake.

I have lots of original and aftermarket things that I will test with the unit, if I do get one to review(not guaranteed).   Now I just have to update my Retron 77 to Stella 6.6.   Is that easy to do if I have already updated it past 6.0?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I have lots of original and aftermarket things that I will test with the unit, if I do get one to review(not guaranteed).   Now I just have to update my Retron 77 to Stella 6.6.   Is that easy to do if I have already updated it past 6.0?

Thanks! 

Updating the R77 is always the same process.

38 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Good news: I just got confirmation from Plaion that it is the latest version 6.7.

Thank you for confirming this Thomas. This is certainty a Pro.👍 

<Edit> Anyone have any news concerning the 7800 emulation?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I'd like to know if the paddle response is consistent when, say, moving the paddle in Breakout all the way across the screen. Like, one full revolution will (hopefully) always move it X% across the screen.

Edited by Zoyous

18 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

I'd like to know if the paddle response is consistent when, say, moving the paddle in Breakout all the way across the screen. Like, one full revolution will (hopefully) always move it X% across the screen.

That's how Stella works on a PC.

With the R77 we have two problems with the front ports (OTG paddles work perfect): 

• the paddle signal is really bad, the paddles affect each other slightly (the code is trying to compensate this as good as possible)
  • we currently have a bug in the paddle code which we have not fixed yet, the paddle jumps on the right side of e.g. Breakout and Kaboom!
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Thank you, John for continuing to cover these devices and post here with us on AtariAge.  I did a small bit to help you afford the 2600+ by becoming one of your Patreon's.  https://www.patreon.com/swlovinist

Imortally yours . . .

• Thanks 1