IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

1 minute ago, Nall3k said:

Al, any chance you're helping Atari with these Berzerk, Mr. Run and Jump releases? Or helping down the road?

I've had nothing to do with any of this.  Also, I have no idea at this time how the version of Berzerk Atari is selling differs from the one that's been in the AtariAge Store for some time, but I will try to get some details. 

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Description of the "new" Berzerk Enhanced Edition:

The 1980’s hit that rocked the arcade world is back and upgraded to be more like the original. Robot voices, diagonal shots, and enhanced graphics have been added to this Atari 2600 cartridge so that you can relive the arcade days in comfort. Yes, Evil Otto is still happy to chase you around!

This Enhanced Edition adds new features such as:
- Robot voice phrases - INTRUDER ALERT! and others
- Robots fire diagonally for more challenging gameplay
- New explosion animations
- Minor bug fixes from the original

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

It's a good price for 2023, everything is more expensive nowadays, and it has the cartridge support that "everyone" says that they want.

I dunno. I think it's too much even for 2023 standards. Things on average are around 16% more expensive than they were 4 years ago. In 2019 money, the 2600+ would cost around $109. The Genesis Mini launched that very year only for around $80. I do think the new console Atari's making with Myarcade might cause some confusion with consumers. Doesn't help much that it's listed online for $30 less than the 2600+.

Edited by chilistudios
  • Like 1

On top of what's already been expressed, anyone else wondering why it's not modeled after the truly iconic/original 6-switch model? Couldn't be they only went with the (IMO) much less desirable 4-switch design just to achieve a smaller footprint, could it?  

Was actually excited about this machine for a few seconds! Then I saw it's basically just another emulation gimmick. And then I read the compatible games list. And then I realized how silly it's not modeled after the 6-switcher. And only comes with a single button joystick. And, and, and... pass.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Description of the "new" Berzerk Enhanced Edition:

The 1980’s hit that rocked the arcade world is back and upgraded to be more like the original. Robot voices, diagonal shots, and enhanced graphics have been added to this Atari 2600 cartridge so that you can relive the arcade days in comfort. Yes, Evil Otto is still happy to chase you around!

This Enhanced Edition adds new features such as:
- Robot voice phrases - INTRUDER ALERT! and others
- Robots fire diagonally for more challenging gameplay
- New explosion animations
- Minor bug fixes from the original

There's a version of Berzerk (Berzerk - Voice Enhanced) that adds non-Atarivox speech.  This may be based off of that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

If they make some CX78 joypad recreations, I would definitely pick some up.

Price on their joysticks seem very fair, look forward to seeing how they perform. Assuming it will be just fine. 

If I can add a button (or three), they can... (This is my NES modded CX40)

image.thumb.jpeg.a48a9fbc4fd9edbe85081750dc5aea00.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

And that's definitely not what I am thinking.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

I heard a rumor that Atari was buying AtariAge. Obviously this isn't the right thread for it, and whatever happens (if anything) should get announced when all parties are ready. But here's a non-controversial question: apart from the packaging, are these the same game program?

Screenshot2023-08-22at1_20_25PM.thumb.png.e44bd0e9c3a9994063b1c95199bbf425.pngScreenshot2023-08-22at1_20_39PM.thumb.png.5ec19dad5c9a3a97a4f071871d4d0a80.png

Thank you both.

I have read some other threads on this topic and am now caught up on the gossip.  Very interested in possible changes coming.

43 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Looked cool at first, but I found the compatibility list and noticed an awful lot of untested or incompatible games. 

I took the time and created a list using the old sizes.txt from @kevtris with some additions/fixes by me. There I selected all games which do not use Atari's bankswitching (F8, F6), plus Fatal Run, which is the only 32K game. And then I compared them with Atari's compatibility list. Here is the result:

Name Size Type Comp. Note
Bump 'n Jump 8 E7 P F8 exists
Burgertime 12 E7 U  
Decathlon 8 FE U  
Espial 8 3F U  
Fatal Run 32 F4 U  
Frogger II: Threeedeep 8 E0 U  
Gyruss 8 E0 U  
James Bond 007 8 E0 U  
Lord of the Rings 8 E0 -  
Mega Boy 64 F0 U  
Miner 2049'er 8 3F U  
Miner 2049'er Volume II 8 3F U  
Montezuma's Revenge 8 E0 U  
MOTU: Power of He-Man 16 E7 U  
Mountain King 12 FA U  
Mr. Do's Castle 8 E0 U  
Omega Race 12 FA U  
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns 8 F8+DPC U  
Polaris 8 3F U  
Popeye 8 E0 U  
Q*Bert's Qubes 8 E0 U  
River Patrol 8 3F U  
Robot Tank 8 FE U HES version is F8
Springer 8 3F U  
Super Cobra 8 E0 F  
SW: Arcade Game 8 E0 U  
SW: Death Star Battle 8 E0 U  
SW: Ewok Adventure 8 E0 -  
Thwocker 8 FE -  
Tooth Protectors 8 E0 P sure?
Tunnel Runner 12 FA U  
Tutankham 8 E0 U  

Except for Tooth Protectors (which I am sure is a mistake), none of these games have test positively. And allegedly none have been tested at all and marked fail. Yea! :roll: 

BTW: Exactly the same games will not work with the Retron 77. Was the dumper created by the same people?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, save2600 said:

On top of what's already been expressed, anyone else wondering why it's not modeled after the truly iconic/original 6-switch model? Couldn't be they only went with the (IMO) much less desirable 4-switch design just to achieve a smaller footprint, could it?  

Was actually excited about this machine for a few seconds! Then I saw it's basically just another emulation gimmick. And then I read the compatible games list. And then I realized how silly it's not modeled after the 6-switcher. And only comes with a single button joystick. And, and, and... pass.   

Me too. If this ends up in my home, it will probably remain boxed and on the top shelf with all the boxed mini and full consoles i have.

5 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Nice job - I have wanted to build one of these for years.  Do you have a thread on this with some details about how you approached it?

I didn't do a thread, But basically I cut down a NES controller PCB to the smallest it could be, then wired it to the directions and buttons on the stock PCB and crammed it in there along one side. I drilled a hole in the PCB and mounted a small radio shack pushbutton and the NES button pushes it. I had to drill the hole for the button top first, assemble it, then line up the hole for the actual one below it. The pause and start buttons are the micro pushbuttons from Radio Shack and are threaded into tapped holes from below. I kick my son's ass at some NES games with this thing.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Zonie said:

Me too. If this ends up in my home, it will probably remain boxed and on the top shelf with all the boxed mini and full consoles i have.

I did this with the first M2 Sega Flashback and I'm wracked with guilt over the waste of it. I applaud your strength, or something! (I try to use what I buy, and flip what I don't)

• Like 2

This version of Nutari (which I have recently upgraded to semi-horrible (heh)) is actually getting close to having a product that an old school Atari fan might want,  If we ignore homebrews and progress,... and AtariAge, and simply focus on the classics.  I'll pass,  as I already have a RetroN 77 for this niche;  the one Nutari sued over even though it was clearly an homage and only an idiot would mistake it for an actual 2600.

Personally,  I wish Analogue would make an FPGA 2600 (w/ 7800 compatibility).  Give it HDMI (or if it were up to me,  also add A/V and S-Video out)...Then, in a Perfect World (and a surprising twist) somehow get it licensed by this version of Atari so it could have woodgrain or at very least iconic good looks bringing to mind some slick new variant of our beloved light (or Heavy) sixers...

(I won't hold my breath, but a fella can dream)   ;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

This version of Nutari (which I have recently upgraded to semi-horrible (heh)) is actually getting close to having a product that an old school Atari fan might want,  If we ignore homebrews and progress,... and AtariAge, and simply focus on the classics.  I'll pass,  as I already have a RetroN 77 for this niche;  the one Nutari sued over even though it was clearly an homage and only an idiot would mistake it for an actual 2600.

Personally,  I wish Analogue would make an FPGA 2600 (w/ 7800 compatibility).  Give it HDMI (or if it were up to me,  also add A/V and S-Video out)...Then, in a Perfect World (and a surprising twist) somehow get it licensed by this version of Atari so it could have woodgrain or at very least iconic good looks bringing to mind some slick new variant of our beloved light (or Heavy) sixers...

PS:  It goes without saying that I'd want it to be Melody, ARM, and DPC+ compatible, and do the HOKEY POKEY and turn us all around...That's what it's all about!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1. Keyboard controller, please. For Star Raiders.

2. Driving controller, please. For obvious reasons. It's no use if Indy 500 is technically compatible but unplayable because of lack of controllers.

3. Please, paddles, don't suck.

4. Is there OEM controller support? So I can supply my own paddles, keypads, and driving controllers. The site says that the + controllers are compatible on an original 2600, but I'm not sure if that holds the other way around.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I did this with the first M2 Sega Flashback and I'm wracked with guilt over the waste of it. I applaud your strength, or something! (I try to use what I buy, and flip what I don't)

I'm bummed that I missed that one and the CV one. Too spendy now to sit in a box on the shelf.

I bought my SNES mini in Taipei. The only regret is It's a US SNES when I could have had the Better looking ROW SNES. I was going to buy four of them but the shop only took cash and I didn't have enough time to get cash and make my flight home.

34 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Too bad they don't include a few 7800 games with the 10-in-1 cart (make it a 20-in-1, why not) or have some other 7800 multicart but otherwise I do find this tempting. It'll make capturing games easier than I currently do using an HDMI convertor.

I'm sure more multi carts are coming. 7800 for sure.

8 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Honestly, other than a few original releases for both the 2600 and 7800, I mostly play the newer homebrews. The homebrewers are doing a great job of making great games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It's a good price for 2023, everything is more expensive nowadays, and it has the cartridge support that "everyone" says that they want.

Maybe they should put out another Atari Flashback with 100 games on board at the same time? Oh wait -- I just remembered that they are https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/01/atari-and-myarcade-are-launching-a-new-home-console-this-year

Do you think this will confuse people? There's 

Atari VCS (mini PC, mostly dead)

Atari MyArcade (standalone plug and play and portable)

Atari 2600+ (enthusiasts only?)

Atari 50 (software on consoles)

Is there such a thing as too much Atari?

The funny thing is; 'everyone' wants cartridge support, yet most are asking for flash cart support (myself included in that), mainly so that I can replace the aging old 2600 with composite output so I am not stuck to older display tech (unfortunately most modern TVs no longer have composite input, and are only coming with HDMI ports).

Weirdly, the Atari VCS is still getting new games, it got to the point where I can't actually keep up with 'owning them all' anymore.  It has some excellent ones on there as well!

The MyArcade thing looks amazing, but I also would love it to have accessories that'd allow 2600/7800 carts + A8 and/or 5200 cart support as well! 

But no, not enough Atari (I have enough shirts / hats in my wardrobe now I think I could just wear Atari stuff all the time, assuming I did my laundry once a week, or a smelly Atari guy like nature means it to be if I don't.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Too bad they don't include a few 7800 games with the 10-in-1 cart (make it a 20-in-1, why not) or have some other 7800 multicart but otherwise I do find this tempting. It'll make capturing games easier than I currently do using an HDMI convertor.

I hope we do get a 7800 multicart, but I think it would have complicated the PCB a lot to include 7800 games.

Does the game list of the cart seem a bit strange to anybody else?

Adventure®

Combat®

Dodge 'Em™

Haunted House®

Maze Craze™

Missile Command®

RealSports® Volleyball

Surround™

Video Pinball™

Yars' Revenge®

I’m surprised they went with Maze Craze and Surround over Asteroids and Centipede.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I hope we do get a 7800 multicart, but I think it would have complicated the PCB a lot to include 7800 games.

Adventure®

Combat®

Dodge 'Em™

Haunted House®

Maze Craze™

Missile Command®

RealSports® Volleyball

Surround™

Video Pinball™

Yars' Revenge®

I’m surprised they went with Maze Craze and Surround over Asteroids and Centipede.

A little bit, but I'll bet the idea is to spread those A-list titles across future [multi]carts to be purchased separately. The idea may have also been to represent a good cross-section of the 1977-83 library, and I'd say these are some of the better ones.

We have enough "Greatest Hits" 2600 game packages elsewhere that I don't mind seeing some "deep cuts" from Atari's back catalog here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I'd want it to be Melody, ARM, and DPC+ compatible, and do the HOKEY POKEY and turn us all around...That's what it's all about!

If it runs Stella and A7800, in theory it could run all that if the cartridge dumper knew how to handle the homebrew bank switching schemes and remapped POKEY addresses?

The flash carts, outside of Dragonfly, are probably too dynamic to work though, so no games from an SD cart unless there's a hidden USB in there somewhere.

39 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Adventure®

Combat®

Dodge 'Em™

Haunted House®

Maze Craze™

Missile Command®

RealSports® Volleyball

Surround™

Video Pinball™

Yars' Revenge®

because they were limited to 2K and 4K games.  asteroids and centipede are larger than 4K and bankswitched.

Speaking of this cart, it's pretty funny seeing a dipswitch-based multicart in 2023.  Definitely the path of least resistance, and a menued one wouldn't have worked since they are just dumping the games... They could've gotten cute, however, and if the multicart was detected they could just sub a nice built in menu with the games already in the system.  But again, this is atari.  They like to hit the "Easy" button instead of going the extra mile.

image.png.cb0fde554dc43980e1d4aa8b5f2e6a5e.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1