IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

On 9/22/2023 at 9:47 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Yesterday...Ben walks into the Atari Age forum

Today...."I think I've made a huge mistake"

😂

Jokes aside, it would be cool to test this, I can't see it working tbh but I would give it a try. Maybe the compumate has a better chance of being compatible.

Wait, so if the Supercharger wasn't tested, why were Supercharger games listed as passed on the list?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, donjn said:

You should let @Ben from Plaion answer this question though. 

You are right!

Hey Ben, you know how I have been keeping you from answering this because I am so important on this site?

Well, you CAN answer that question....

What?  You thought I was just giving my opinion totally unrelated to you....

And you say that I am just some rando on an internet forum and have zero control over whether you answer a question or not?

And you say that based on what even you can tell, I am at best just a super silly member who has virtually no importance at all...

Hmmm...

Weird...

And you really didn't have to say that last part about me having no importance Ben!!  That was hurtful!!!

;-) 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MASTER260 said:

Wait, so if the Supercharger wasn't tested, why were Supercharger games listed as passed on the list?

If you are talking about Rabbit Transit, a cartridge version does exist:

https://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/rabbittransit/rabbittransit.htm

From what I can see, all other Supercharger games are listed as untested.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 2:08 PM, napabar said:

Well then, it's forgotten.  I wasn't trying to imply that Plaion should drop what they're doing and make Compumate work.  I was just curious about special cartridges like the Supercharger and Compumate.  Things like Pitfall II are far more important.

Those are great questions, the SuperCharger is one of the most powerful expansion methods for being a 6K RAM board and has some fantastic classics and new titles available. The beta for Leprechaun for example is even better than the excellent Lode Runner release running on more powerful hardware. 

There is already translation software that allows some SuperCharger titles to be converted to CBS RAM format for the Atari Flashback Portable, but it looks like that mapper is not currently supported yet. There is also a new Emulator Gopher that uses the real SuperCharger BIOS and can load files from tape directly. That approach could likely be implemented most easily on the 2600+ via a USB adaptor for audio input without even requiring SuperCharger hardware which would open up the cassette and CD ROM based software libraries.

It doesn't look like there is a currently a possibility for Compumate BASIC but the BASIC Programming cartridge is supported. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

There is also a new Emulator Gopher that uses the real SuperCharger BIOS and can load files from tape directly. That approach could likely be implemented most easily on the 2600+ via a USB adaptor for audio input without even requiring SuperCharger hardware which would open up the cassette and CD ROM based software libraries.

The supercharger IP is still owned by an active company, if I'm not mistaken, and would have to be licensed for Atari to use it above board. 

That being said, unless SMC was employed most supercharger games should be able to be dumped without issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

The supercharger IP is still owned by an active company, if I'm not mistaken, and would have to be licensed for Atari to use it above board. 

That being said, unless SMC was employed most supercharger games should be able to be dumped without issue.

I'm pretty sure they released it so people could enjoy the technology. They may retain the rights but would not have an objection with the implementation or the BIOS wouldn't be present in Gopher.

11 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

I'm pretty sure they released it so people could enjoy the technology. They may retain the rights but would not have an objection with the implementation or the BIOS wouldn't be present in Gopher.

I see that a rip is up on the archive and that it's part of a free emulator, but I can't find anything saying that it's released under GPL or anything. Do you have a source on that?

On 9/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, uberwolf6688 said:

@Ben from Plaion Thanks for the forthright answers. If I may ask a few questions of my own:

1. Does this system work with trackballs? Either the original Atari or a Wico trackball.

2. Speaking of Wico, do the Command Control sticks work with this system? I'd assume this is an obvious yes, but these are my controllers of choice and I'd love to use them.

3. Does the Smurfs Save the Day game work on this? There is a way to play it without the KidVid attachment, but it requires a combo with the difficulty/color switch, I'm curious if an emulator can do this. Here's a link with details on the combo:https://forums.atariage.com/topic/7293-smurfs-save-the-day-without-kid-vid/

4. This is perhaps not directly a question for you, but what is special about the Popeye cartridge that marks it as untested? I notice that the Retron 77 doesn't support this game either. I've never heard anything unique about that cart though.

1. I sent a CX80 to the factory last week to have a look at, will report back results.

2. I presume Command Control sticks have the same pinout as CX40 and thus would work if so.

3. I dont believe we have got this cartridge or rom to hand.
4. Nothing deeper then we didnt have it at the time, but I have it now and will be checking it later in the week.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2023 at 11:35 PM, Zonie said:

@Ben from Plaion

Welcome to AA. Sorry if this was asked, I missed a few pages.

Why was the decision to make a single button joystick when the plan is to be 7800 compatible?

Because like it or loathe it the CX40 Joystick is probably one of videogames most recognised hardware accessory. Its just iconic and we had to include it without question with the 2600 console.

Original CX78 GamePads are compatible with the Atari 2600+ and likely nudge nudge wink wink someone will bring out a similar Joypad in the future compatible with the 2600+

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

3. I dont believe we have got this cartridge or rom to hand.

Of course switches work in Stella. And the 2600+ has all switches. So there is no reason why Smurfs Saves The Day should not work using the switch combo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2023 at 1:08 PM, Blinky said:

Maybe my question was missed

@Ben from Plaion @TrogdarRobusto I'd really like to know if PAL games output HDMI 50Hz or not.

Initial 1.0 software that launch units ship with is default 720p 60Hz. I know people here will want 50Hz for obvious reasons. I have been testing a 50Hz build today see image. For certain this - alongside maximising cartridge compatibility - is priority in a 1.1 software update.

PXL_20230925_141017133.jpg

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 9/20/2023 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Only fully retro in red. :) 

image.png.b657158735955f57a072e5c421e06e33.png

Just thinking about an issue with this design...

This, obviously, would need power to work.

No problem while the cart is plugged in, but that means you are probably changing the ROM/cart on the fly while it is active in the system...

Now, this would probably be fine in the 2600+, as it is a cart dumper.  Nothing is active until it is reset and re-reads the cart.  So as a cart designed just for the 2600+, this is probably fine...  (Assuming it leaves power on to the cart all the time)

But I'm not sure how a real 2600/7800 would feel about having it's cart rom data flipped it while it is running?

On my dip-switch based carts, I always power off the system, flip the switches, and then power back on...

That wouldn't be "easily" doable with this type of design...  I suppose you could put a battery or large cap in there to be able to maintain/provide power while off?

Or just do it and it might be fine...  Perhaps the worst that happens is the real 2600/7800 gets confused for a bit (get it?  a bit?  sorry..) while you change roms, and then you reset the system (power cycle) and it starts with the newly selected ROM?

I don't see Atari doing this per se, but I do wonder if some other industrious people will make a new multicart that is designed to also work with the 2600+, if it is successful enough...

Again, just thinking out loud...    

Edited by desiv

31 minutes ago, desiv said:

But I'm not sure how a real 2600/7800 would feel about having it's cart rom data flipped it while it is running?

No different than if you yanked the cart out of the running system..   Well maybe slightly different if it tries to execute new code that's been inserted in it's place,  you might get some interesting effects, but most likely the system just hangs but will be fine after a reset.

I see your point though it's a little unprofessional on a legacy 2600 to hang the system to change games.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

We'll be updating the official list in about 2 weeks. Cheers

Thanx Ben!

Also, not sure if you wouldn't mind joining, but there is also a 7800 compatibility discussion thread on this site here in the 7800 forum:

There some discussions/concerns about compatibility of some of the 7800 emulators out there currently...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Because like it or loathe it the CX40 Joystick is probably one of videogames most recognised hardware accessory. Its just iconic and we had to include it without question with the 2600 console.

Original CX78 GamePads are compatible with the Atari 2600+ and likely nudge nudge wink wink someone will bring out a similar Joypad in the future compatible with the 2600+

A second button fits nicely...IMG_6308.thumb.jpeg.2c5caf6105c60e0519e0f5bc40b25e90.jpeg

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, desiv said:

Thanx Ben!

Also, not sure if you wouldn't mind joining, but there is also a 7800 compatibility discussion thread on this site here in the 7800 forum:

There some discussions/concerns about compatibility of some of the 7800 emulators out there currently...

I've responded to a couple of posts there but I feel I might get a bit overbearing if I just jump around AA answering everything scattershot regarding 2600+ and I might just stay in this thread. Do you know what I mean?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bent_pin said:

I see that a rip is up on the archive and that it's part of a free emulator, but I can't find anything saying that it's released under GPL or anything. Do you have a source on that?

I don't believe it's GPL because the company retained the rights. They gave permission to use the code and the games too. It means the BIOS can be used but doesn't become part of the GPL license. Not everything has to be GPL.

Just now, Mr SQL said:

They gave permission to use the code and the games too. It means the BIOS can be used but doesn't become part of the GPL license. Not everything has to be GPL.

That's why I asked for a source on this permission of which you speak. My search, albeit brief, did not yield this permission.

It has to be licensed in some way. Unless I see something specifically releasing it, I tend to assume that it's still not available for public use; even if it's in an emulator. The ole' everyone else was doing it defense doesn't carry much weight against an infringement suit. While there are many reputable emulator programs, there are many that could be seen as grey-area or even other than reputable.