IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

On 9/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, Albert said:

I just tested Marble Craze, and it works fine. 

MarbleCraze_2600+.jpg

..Al

Sweet!

Thanks man. I still have a set of mostly working old paddles (cleaning only goes so far, I think the gunk you clean out in addition to causing problems also was responsible for preserving the contacts in the pot) and I got a preorder on the cx30+ (paddle set) but since its become unavailable. Here's hoping ill get to play 2 player, something I've never really done before due to the other sets I've got being to far gone.

I need to pick up some AA titles now. :)

• Like 2

Guys. I think it would be wise to gather and keep up-to-date, on a single pinned postall the questions (and the answers - even the technical ones) about the Atari 2600+ that have been definitively answered to avoid having to search all over Atari Age or go through the reading of 500 posts.

This would ease the newcomers who simply want to gather information about the Atari 2600+ before purchasing it. We could name it a F.A.Q. 😂

Unless it has already been done? I might have missed it ...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Albert said:

Hasn't been done yet, I have just over a week before I have to leave for PRGE, so PRGE-related tasks are my highest priority at the moment.  :)

..Al

Al, do you plan to do this all by yourself? It could be done collaboratively in a thread, where each (serious) participant make a post for one or multiple question/answer he choose. It would be easier for you to compile/edit/validate everything into a pinned post at the top. Just an idea though. Best of luck with the PRGE ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Atari has some strong licensing partners in Brazil, but I don't know if there is a distributor for the 2600+ in country yet. 

TecToy, yes the same one that sells Master System and Mega Drive here, sells officially the AtGames Flashback consoles.

You can import directly from Amaon US, but in that case, the tax is 60% over the price including shipping, then plus 17% over that value. Companies can pay much lower importing taxes if they just package the product here.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Is something like Fatal Run likely to work, or does that have custom parts too?

Once I learned this will play PAL and NTSC games I ordered a copy, and then reviewed the outdated compatibility list that said it was untested.

What about that weird 32-in-1 cart that requires you to repeatedly turn the system off and on to cycle through the games?

Opened up the sealed copy of Fatal Run 2600 Pal this morning and it plays fine.

16958922479393772955097325170558.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Crimson Cross said:

Hopefully the delay won't be longer than December, but if Atari is updating the system with its purchase of AtariAge and all the talks here and elsewhere, plus could they be adding a SD slot or even wifi would be a thought in keeping your systems firmware up to date. The 4th Quarter though for releases is a tough time of the year, anyway hope things are okay with the 2600+...

If they ever added an SD card slot or made it so multi-carts worked it would be a massive game changer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Electric-Dreams said:

Guys. I think it would be wise to gather and keep up-to-date, on a single pinned postall the questions (and the answers - even the technical ones) about the Atari 2600+ that have been definitively answered to avoid having to search all over Atari Age or go through the reading of 500 posts.

This would ease the newcomers who simply want to gather information about the Atari 2600+ before purchasing it. We could name it a F.A.Q. 😂

Unless it has already been done? I might have missed it ...

Sound great, why don't you start and create the thread? hehe

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The launch day machines hardware design and software version was locked many months ago. We are now taking the feedback posted here and elsewhere, continuing our internal testing and having discussion with the likely result being a future software update to improve the experience.

Hi @Ben from Plaion, does that mean that out-of-the-box, the compatible 2600 cartridges will be the ones currently marked as "Pass" in the 2600+ Game Compatiblity List? And that a future firmware update will add support for the 8K Tigervision and 8K Parker Brothers (and more!) cartridges?

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Hi @Ben from Plaion, does that mean that out-of-the-box, the compatible 2600 cartridges will be the ones currently marked as "Pass" in the 2600+ Game Compatiblity List? And that a future firmware update will add support for the 8K Tigervision and Parker Brothers (and more!) cartridges?

Since the power is supplied via USB, people most likely have to use an OTG cable (just like for the R77) for the firmware update. You can get one for ~$5, be prepared!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Since the power is supplied via USB, people most likely have to use an OTG cable (just like for the R77) for the firmware update. You can get one for ~$5, be prepared!

AFAIK, USB can provide power and data at the same time, so why the need for an OTG cable? Just connect the 2600+ to your PC using USB, run the firmware upgrade app on your PC and then disconnect again - which will indeed power off the 2600+, but you want to do a full recycle anyway after a firmware upgrade.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

Hi @Ben from Plaion, does that mean that out-of-the-box, the compatible 2600 cartridges will be the ones currently marked as "Pass" in the 2600+ Game Compatiblity List? And that a future firmware update will add support for the 8K Tigervision and 8K Parker Brothers (and more!) cartridges?

No, I'm testing games this week on launch day firmware ie games I checked today like Fatal Run and Popeye will not need an update, they will work. 

Not tested games in that published list a few weeks ago were just that, they were games we didn't have carts or roms for at the time of putting the list together, many of them in theory should and will work. 

Tbh I sat and checked nearly 200 original carts today and every one worked apart from real sports boxing which boots but has a weird graphical glitch.

Basically everything normal in terms of official original carts I will just expect to work....apart from oddments like pitfall 2. 

With this confidence I want to now concentrate on homebrew.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Tbh I sat and checked nearly 200 original carts today and every one worked apart from real sports boxing which boots but has a weird graphical glitch.

@Ben from Plaion Can you post a picture from that glitch? Maybe we can spot something.