IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

Circus Convoy does not currently work, but we are hoping to get it running.  A new compatibility list will be posted soon, and we're also going to create a new "Community" compatibility list for homebrew games.  That list will be maintained here on AtariAge, but will also be posted on Atari.com. 

..Al

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I wonder if they will send any early 2600+ units out to gaming YouTubers to generate interest.

Less than 3 weeks until release!

Of course. There is a lot of units going out early to press and industry contacts.

Review embargo lifts a couple of days before launch.

You won't be able to go online without being slammed with Atari 2600+ articles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Always fun comparing originals to freshly pressed pre-production samples

PXL_20231031_114623898.jpg

As a former electronic technician, I can always tell the quality of a product by checking if it contains prints in the PCB that will help future fixing or parts replacement. This looks gold.

Edited by protomank
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, protomank said:

As a former electronic technician, I can always tell the quality of a product by checking if it contains prints in the PCB that will help future fixing or parts replacement. This looks gold.

Thanks, similar information is printed inside on the CX40 joystick and CX30 paddles. Its all very consistant in design inside the units. On this Gamepad seemed no brainer to join the 2 PCBs into one. I have a bit of a thing about neatness inside of machines and accessories....check out my notes back to the factory - I look at these things I write sometimes and think that people must think I'm mad, but then on reflection, I'm right!

I'm happy with the gamepad overall, feels good in the hand. I dont know what Atari were thinking back in the day with that dpad extension thing but hey ho

T2-review.jpg

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thanks, similar information is printed inside on the CX40 joystick and CX30 paddles. Its all very consistant in design inside the units. On this Gamepad seemed no brainer to join the 2 PCBs into one. I have a bit of a thing about neatness inside of machines and accessories....check out my notes back to the factory - I look at these things I write sometimes and think that people must think I'm mad, but then on reflection, I'm right!

I'm happy with the gamepad overall, feels good in the hand. I dont know what Atari were thinking back in the day with that dpad extension thing but hey ho

T2-review.jpg

Hey Ben, thanks for showing this.  I love seeing the manufacturing process and the detail and work that goes into making...anything.  Sometimes people just assume "things get made" and do not fully understand the time and details it takes.  I hope we can see more things like this that show off the manufacturing and development process.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, davpa said:

Hey Ben, thanks for showing this.  I love seeing the manufacturing process and the detail and work that goes into making...anything.  Sometimes people just assume "things get made" and do not fully understand the time and details it takes.  I hope we can see more things like this that show off the manufacturing and development process.

Really? Ive got loads of videos and assets of the development and manufacturing process.

Was looking last night at some great comparisons of original CX40 and CX40+ Joysticks I did a while back. I thought about making a video on all the differences.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Really? Ive got loads of videos and assets of the development and manufacturing process.

Was looking last night at some great comparisons of original CX40 and CX40+ Joysticks I did a while back. I thought about making a video on all the differences.

Yeah, I think anytime people have the power to pull the curtain back (where they can) the better people are for it.  I think most here would love to see the process it took to bring the CX40+ into reality.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, davpa said:

Yeah, I think anytime people have the power to pull the curtain back (where they can) the better people are for it.  I think most here would love to see the process it took to bring the CX40+ into reality.

Yes!  Anything that shows the craftmanship behind the product would be welcome.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yup

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I dont know what Atari were thinking back in the day with that dpad extension thing but hey ho

You mean not only are we not getting new ProLines, we are not getting even a thumbstick for the JoyPad? What kind of abomination is this?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

You mean not only are we not getting new ProLines, we are not getting even a thumbstick for the JoyPad? What kind of abomination is this?

The JoyPad is getting the screw-in thumbstick.  You can see it in the pictures of the manufacturing details notes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I must have misunderstood Ben, so that is good. But still, no CX-24 ProLine Controllers? How sad.

Are people really that nostalgic for the CX-24 "PainLine" controller?  My hand hurts after using it for a period of time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I must have misunderstood Ben, so that is good. But still, no CX-24 ProLine Controllers? How sad.

Nothing is ruled out regarding accesories like the CX24. I would say though its quite a different proposition to bring to market CX24 Joystick over a CX78 Gamepad, primarily start up costs - the cost of tooling and engineering a new Joystick is challenging compared to the Gamepad. Additionally in my personal opinion the CX78 is a reasonably decent Gamepad whilst the CX24 is an ok Joystick. I do understand though the desire to see a re-issued CX24.

• Like 5