IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Ha yeah, people like really react when I just was pulling the cart out with the power on.

Thing is with the P1 paddle I did check the stability of both paddles many times throughout PGRE and it was always fine, but then I think some kids where a bit rough with them this morning. Something to note and investigate anyway. 

Hey Ben, I heard the disappointing news about the game pad used by games like Star Raiders isn't working on the 2600+. 

Do you think this can be easily resolved by a future update?

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 8:57 AM, littaum said:

I got a chance to play with the 2600+ as well at PRGE.  Here are some basic thoughts:

[...]

- Keypad support was a no-go, so Star Raiders or Basic Programming is currently out.  

Sincerely thank-you for the detailed analysis! This is the kind of quality content that we are here for.

I am saddened to hear about the keyboard. I was getting excited about playing Star Raiders again.  

9 minutes ago, zzip said:

You'd be surprised, some people would rather fill the screen, even if the aspect is wrong and the video is stretched.   

This is very true based on my experiences speaking to people on this subject over the years. It is nice that the 2600+ gives you a choice. 

..Al

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DhaemonX said:

Hey Ben, I heard the disappointing news about the game pad used by games like Star Raiders isn't working on the 2600+. 

Do you think this can be easily resolved by a future update?

I might be wrong here, but let me spitball, I opened a keypad controller up a couple of weeks ago and I'm no engineer but it was very simple like there are no chips in it, its just PCB tracers from the keypad buttons straight into wires so I thought to myself that perhaps it works similar to a paddle controller in that maybe each of the keypad keys have a specific resistance level that denotes the particular key being pressed. 

Anyway, bottom line is I just need to get a keypad over to the hardware engineer and get him to look at it and see what he can do. If he figures it out and its possible of course we'll add it to a future software release, i'll report back here what he says. 

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I might be wrong here, but let me spitball, I opened a keypad controller up a couple of weeks ago and I'm no engineer but it was very simple like there are no chips in it, its just PCB tracers from the keypad buttons straight into wires so I thought to myself that perhaps it works similar to a paddle controller in that maybe each of the keypad keys have a specific resistance level that denotes the particular key being pressed. 

It's a very simple circuit.. here is a schematic:

atari-2600-keypad-schematic.jpg.51982fddc9e686a7a5db5425a816168e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

So "Ben from Plaion" was there in person? Other Atari staff too (except from Al :-))?

Yup just got back home now. It was a complete blast. Indeed there was also Atari staff in attendance. We worked a 2600+ area within the very impressive Atari Age stand - I was taken aback by the amount and quality of homebrew Atari games Al had on show... 2600, 5600, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, it was all there and very slick that they were all plugged into those sweet Commodore CRTs, safe to say it was the best booth at the show!

I was there talking to people about the 2600+, there were 5 machines on show where people could get a hands on with the new games along with other classic games and homebrew.

I loved PGRE, it was a big show, I kept sneaking off to look around other stands and the Tetris World Championship which was very busy and had an electric atmosphere.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Albert said:
2 hours ago, zzip said:

You'd be surprised, some people would rather fill the screen, even if the aspect is wrong and the video is stretched.   

This is very true based on my experiences speaking to people on this subject over the years. It is nice that the 2600+ gives you a choice. 

Yeah learned the hard way when widescreens first came out.   When I see someone watching SD TV stretched,  I'd assume they just didn't bother to adjust their TV and I'd offer to fix it...  only to discover their distaste for black bars was as strong as my distaste for incorrect aspect ratio!   :lol:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, zzip said:

When I see someone watching SD TV stretched

I did the opposite a while ago...

I have the CRT downstairs, and had an old Firestick around and was wondering....

So I found a cheap (very cheap) HDMI to composite adapter online and hooked it up.

That's when I found out that neither my old Firestick nor the adapter supported any top/bottom bars or going into 4:3 mode (for the Firestick)...

It was just the widescreen Firestick display, squished to 4:3...

I mean, it works...  ;-);-) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Yeah learned the hard way when widescreens first came out.   When I see someone watching SD TV stretched,  I'd assume they just didn't bother to adjust their TV and I'd offer to fix it...  only to discover their distaste for black bars was as strong as my distaste for incorrect aspect ratio!   :lol:

I was a fairly early adopter of HD getting my first Sony HDTV in 2004.  There was a serious shortage of true HD content at the time.  The broadcasters were taking their 4:3 content, even live broadcasts, and stretching/zooming to fill the screen because the average person would get upset if their new HDTV didn't fill the screen.  It was a world of difference compared to today.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 8:00 AM, sramirez2008 said:

@Albert it was great seeing you and April again. As always, the AA booth is a site to behold. The banners are amazing and seeing one for each game was pretty cool. 

Glad you were able to make it to Portland again, and it's always a pleasure to see you! 

I was able to display banners for all 21 new games, which was due to the larger nature of the booth (45' x 30'), as well as having two walls of pipe and draping on which to hang them from.  Really love how that turned out!!

..Al

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Glad you were able to make it to Portland again, and it's always a pleasure to see you! 

I was able to display banners for all 21 new games, which was due to the larger nature of the booth (45' x 30'), as well as having two walls of pipe and draping on which to hang them from.  Really love how that turned out!!

..Al

D@mn I wish I could make one of these shows, but it's a 36 hour drive which will never happen!!!  If I fly, I couldn't being any of my equipment and would be very limited in what I could take back home.  Shame there's no decent shows out east.  Despite Ohio being labelled the "mid-west" - I am 90% of the way into the Atlantic.  I will argue that we need to reclassify this, more than I will argue the "gif vs jif" :)

Anyhow - congrats everyone to another great showing.