IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

Just now, littaum said:

Are people really that nostalgic for the CX-24 "PainLine" controller?  My hand hurts after using it for a period of time.

Ha I thought about responding by saying something like "I'd rather put pins in my eyes then play with a CX24 joystick over a CX78 Gamepad" but took a more concilatory approach in my answer!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, MMarcoux66 said:

This is starting to get me excited about the release. Thanks @Ben from Plaion and all the others that are sharing this progress. For the first time in a long time, I am feeling the love for this IP from Atari. 

I couldn't agree more, it's great to see the workmanship going into this, the work being done to ensure greater compatibility.  I'm looking forward to this so much.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Nothing is ruled out regarding accessories like the CX24. I would say though its quite a different proposition to bring to market CX24 Joystick over a CX78 Gamepad, primarily start up costs - the cost of tooling and engineering a new Joystick is challenging compared to the Gamepad. Additionally in my personal opinion the CX78 is a reasonably decent Gamepad whilst the CX24 is an ok Joystick. I do understand though the desire to see a re-issued CX24.

IMHO, I think a better design would be the CX-40+, but with a button on the front for the second-button (or even perhaps a smaller button just below the 'standard' button as 'B').

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Please, only as an April Fool’s joke.

Perhaps a CX40 with an extra button for 7800 games?

Woooof, the hate for the CX24 is strong with the Atari age crew lol. I mean its a aesthectically an interesting controller - that aluminium face plate and the manual gearstick is something to appreciate.

I just cant see a CX40 with more then one button. Its sacrilege. But I might be convinced with potential sales! 

I've been playing the 2600+ with a CX40+ wireless version and its sweet as a nut. That feels appropriate to me cause the exterior aesthetics remains the same just with a gentle modern QOL advancement.

Lets see how the land lays after November 17th!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I just cant see a CX40 with more then one button. Its sacrilege.

I agree.  Maybe not exactly a CX40, but a aesthetic 'replica' of the new VCS Joystick without wireless, paddle control, rumble, LED light effects... just with wire and with a second fire button. I think it would be fantastic.

AtariVCSWirelessClassicJoystick.thumb.PNG.613f8d6b14cdc1188059568cc8169361.PNG

• Like 7

I wish I could like the above post 1000x :D 

Although I don't think you can have the paddle function along with the 7800 buttons as the paddle lines are used for those buttons. :( 

EDIT - I misunderstood what was written above; Defender_2600 said *without* paddle function (I missed the word 'without' initially) :ponder: 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I wish I could like the above post 1000x :D 

Although I don't think you can have the paddle function along with the 7800 buttons as the paddle lines are used for those buttons. :( 

EDIT - I misunderstood what was written above; Defender_2600 said *without* paddle function (I missed the word 'without' initially) :ponder: 

And, truthfully I think nothing can beat the original CX30 / CX30+. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I've been playing the 2600+ with a CX40+ wireless version and its sweet as a nut. That feels appropriate to me cause the exterior aesthetics remains the same just with a gentle modern QOL advancement.

Wait.  There is going to be a wireless version of the CX40+?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, littaum said:

Are people really that nostalgic for the CX-24 "PainLine" controller?  My hand hurts after using it for a period of time.

That was my exact thought.  It is still to this day the worst controller I have ever used on any system, and I have been playing since 1979.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That was my exact thought.  It is still to this day the worst controller I have ever used on any system, and I have been playing since 1979.

The Pointmaster is worse.  I've played on the ProLines for hours, with just a slight hand cramping to show for it. 

There doesn't seem to be an effective, comfortable grip that one can use on the Pointmaster's base that will counter the long throw leverage, plus an overly strong return spring.  While the Pointmaster had no problems controlling the game, all of my effort was expended on attempting to keep the Pointmaster under control.  Any wrist issues will also result in instant pain with the Pointmaster.

53 minutes ago, mksmith said:

This is great thanks @Ben from Plaion! As others mentioned any info about the design/manufacture would be very interesting to see.

I'd be all in for the trak-ball next (we can dream right!)

Well, Curt did have schematics for track-ball controller for the 7800. That might get made.

• Like 2

A blueretro adapter for the 2600 would be amazing. And then, we could use wireless controllers, and maybe not have to reach the console for select/start.

For me it is a pain reaching it, because in the furniture that have all my consoles (14+) , the Ataris are in the ground level, so I have to leave the sofa and crouch to lower myself and hit the keys in the console, or just play sitting in the ground and watch the TV with my neck turned up ^.^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, protomank said:

A blueretro adapter for the 2600 would be amazing. And then, we could use wireless controllers, and maybe not have to reach the console for select/start.

For me it is a pain reaching it, because in the furniture that have all my consoles (14+) , the Ataris are in the ground level, so I have to leave the sofa and crouch to lower myself and hit the keys in the console, or just play sitting in the ground and watch the TV with my neck turned up ^.^

I use the unijoysticle2 C64 for wireless play on my original consoles. It needs external USB power but works fine and gives you A/B buttons on a 7800 (C64 version only).

Normally I use an arcade stick but tested a pad for dual stick play on Stargate and Robotron 😀

20230914_195742.jpg

20230914_184203.jpg

20230930_201607.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I use the unijoysticle2 C64 for wireless play on my original consoles. It needs external USB power but works fine and gives you A/B buttons on a 7800 (C64 version only).

Normally I use an arcade stick but tested a pad for dual stick play on Stargate and Robotron 😀

That’s a cool idea. I’ve been looking for a solution for my Atari 2600. So you just purchased the C64 version of this and it worked?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, protomank said:

And then, we could use wireless controllers, and maybe not have to reach the console for select/start.

Every walk makes you slim. ;) 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Always fun comparing originals to freshly pressed pre-production samples

PXL_20231031_114623898.jpg

This is rad! The “Euro-Pad” finally gets a US release. I have a set from Best Electronics, so probably won’t be a purchase for me, but definitely a smart move to reproduce them. 

My hat’s off to the team at Atari. This is a deep-cut from the vault that true fans will really appreciate. 

• Like 2