IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

8 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

So since it's been confirmed that it allows for firmware updates via USB, does that mean that it's possible it can be updated at some point to play the kinds of homebrew carts people are wanting it to be able to?

• ARM based carts? No.
  • Other unsupported carts? Unlikely, because this would require updating the dumper code. And I doubt this can be updated.

2 hours ago, Special Teams said:

IIRC Curt was working on what he referred to as Syzergy 3000 which was a modern 2600/7800 console.  I wonder how far he got.

That was his FPGA project (hence why he'd of tried to license cores from Kevtris).

What I'm referring to was another project that happened long ago before the Atari Flashback 2 was even a thing, back in the early 2000's. He designed a 7800 replica and they were to be sold at retail along with original 2600 and 7800 games from O'Shea. I incorrectly stated that it was Atari SA. Rather, it was O'Shea that commissioned Legacy Engineering to do this to create a market for their millions of boxed Atari games but they ultimately changed their mind.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

That was his FPGA project (hence why he'd of tried to license cores from Kevtris).

What I'm referring to was another project that happened long ago before the Atari Flashback 2 was even a thing, back in the early 2000's. He designed a 7800 replica and they were to be sold at retail along with original 2600 and 7800 games from O'Shea. I incorrectly stated that it was Atari SA. Rather, it was O'Shea that commissioned Legacy Engineering to do this to create a market for their millions of boxed Atari games but they ultimately changed their mind.

You aren't imagining that.  I remember that story too.  All those years ago and we still don't have something as good as that idea sounds.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:08 PM, 7800Knight said:

I think the Atari+ is a step in the right direction; I wouldn't need one as I own a 7800.  Of course, nowadays, it's not like the early days of classic gaming back in the late 1990s and the 200s where older consoles (Atari, etc) were plentiful.  Ever since the second half of the 2010s, the older units are getting harder to find.

An Atari+ would be good for those unable to get an original console.

One of the reasons I want one, held off on the 77 because of the lack of 7800 support. The HDMI, the multicart, and 7800 compatibility in the plus are making me spring for this over the Retron(I am a physical media Gen Z person, which is why my Switch still is my console of choice)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wongojack said:

Well since the FB2 architecture has never been used since, I'd say it is the same reason as always.  Guesses are

Cost - that chip/chipset too expensive

Ownership - it is possible ownership of that design is disputed

Maybe it hasn't been used since because the Flashbacks were being made by Atgames, a company that has only made plug-n-plays using cheap modern processors. And even though Atari didn't make the FB2 it's just an ASIC based on a system that they own. In case they weren't able to use it perhaps could use a generic 6502 chip and make a replacement for the TIA. I'm sure these chips would be very cheap, since anyone can buy them, but they would also need to mod it for something better than composite and use an upscaling chip, maybe the one that's inside the GBS-8200 would be the cheapest option. None of this is impossible in any way, but they would need more effort and it wouldn't play 7800, unless they somehow find a replacement for the GPU.

Edited by M-S
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, cvga said:

I purchased one along with the paddle combo and Berzerk enhanced. It will be nice to hook this up to our newer TVs. 

Is Berzerk Enhanced the same as the Berzerk with voice that was sold here in the AA store?

After reading the Atari description and several old threads on Atariage, I believe it is slightly different.

The description mentions the robots being able to shoot diagonally which appears to be a later hack of the store version.  It will be interesting to see how the work is acknowledged.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

After reading the Atari description and several old threads on Atariage, I believe it is slightly different.

Yes, it is different, and it was not derived from the version sold in the AtariAge Store.  Here are the differences between the original version of Berzerk (as produced by Atari in the 80s) and the new Berzerk Enhanced version:

• Modified graphics to look more like the arcade
• Robots fire diagonally
• Extra life bug corrected
• Startup bug corrected
• Five digitized speech samples from the arcade

The version of Berzerk Voice Enhanced sold in the AtariAge Store only has three digitized speech samples, and I don't believe it has any of the other changes listed above.  Also, Berzerk Voice Enhanced is 16K, and Berzerk Enhanced as sold by Atari is a 32K game.

..Al

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

20 hours ago, Astro Rabby said:

Hm...wonder if this could replace my current 2600? Put it back in it's box and let it rest, yknow? I'd love a way to play 7800 games finally too. 

Then again if it's an emulation based machine  on HDMI it probably will have delayed input.

I wonder about lag too. Games like kaboom or circus atari would suffer from even the smallest bit of lag.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, it is different, and it was not derived from the version sold in the AtariAge Store.  Here are the difference between the original version of Berzerk (as produced by Atari in the 80s) and the new Berzerk Enhanced version:

• Robots fire diagonally
• Startup bug corrected

The version of Berzerk Voice Enhanced sold in the AtariAge Store only has three digitized speech samples, and I don't believe it has any of the other changes listed above.  Also, Berzerk Voice Enhanced is 16K, and Berzerk Enhanced as sold by Atari is a 32K game.

..Al

Interesting, it looks like Atari is putting some effort in this release and maybe future releases

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, it is different, and it was not derived from the version sold in the AtariAge Store.  Here are the difference between the original version of Berzerk (as produced by Atari in the 80s) and the new Berzerk Enhanced version:

• Robots fire diagonally
• Startup bug corrected

..Al

I have Berzerk Voice Enhanced, but I’m interested in this version. I may preorder a copy. 

IMG_1158.jpeg

• Like 2

Meh.. While it's kind of cool, it's a hard pass for me. 👎

Just the fact that it's not fully compatible with both 2600 & 7800 libraries is a huge disappointment. If it can't play flashcarts and new homebrews, then it's completely useless to me.

It's really unfortunate that they went the software emulation route.. FFS, don't we have enough emulation boxes available already? 😕

They could've had a real homerun on their hands, had they gone the FPGA route. Sure, it'll appeal to casual collectors and that's great, but hardcore vintage gaming console enthusiasts that insist on using real hardware will probably steer clear, myself included.

Anyway, if they do happen to come out with some brand new 7800 euro pads, then that's one thing I actually would buy!

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option at this point, which is shocking, considering they implemented the 7800.. Folks are going to be pretty disappointed when then go to play 7800 games on this thing with a 1 button controller. Lol 😬

Some 5200 love would've been nice too.. Yeah, the carts are shaped different, but they could've made it work if they would've included an SD card slot on the back. Maybe they'll make an adapter in the future? 🤔 It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

• Like 3

I was rethinking all of this. First, my great initial emotion, finally Atari returns to produce the legendary Atari 2600 and this time the SLOT for cartridges is no longer just a "forbidden word" as with the previous "Flashback" versions. Then, as expected, the disappointment as it is not an FPGA and therefore is not compatible with many Homebrew games. However I think that, putting aside the first emotions, we should be honest with ourselves and try to understand why this new Atari 2600+ should not be judged and compared with a more expensive FPGA, therefore intended for a more demanding and niche audience.

To better understand the direction chosen by Atari we can simply compare the Atari 2600+ with the NES Classic Edition or with the Sega Genesis Mini (and therefore we are comparing it with giants) and it is immediately evident the effort and the courageous choice of Atari offering more than Sega and Nintendo, having included the SLOT for cartridges and immediately offering good compatibility with the original cartridge catalog, with the further promise of firmware updates.

But there's more, the Atari 2600+ is not simply a commemorative system to be displayed, it was also born thinking of the Atari XP cartridge catalog which is expanding with new releases that will also be compatible with the original hardware. Not to forget the new CX40+ Joystick and CX30+ Paddle Controller, both a replica of the original design and compatible with the original hardware. And this time the prices are "popular" and finally international shipping is offered.

I think that all this can't be called "just another emulation box" and I really hope that the project will be successful for many reasons, just think of the return of visibility and popularity that could derive from it. I think it's positive for our community.

• Like 6

I can understand the disappointment that some of the most technically advanced homebrew cartridges won't work with it (as well as some from back in the day). However, at the same time, I get the impression that this new leadership at the latest incarnation of Atari is coming up with some cool games and hardware. I think it is something I want to throw some support behind and see what more they can come up with in the future.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

So Berzerk Enhanced Edition is 32k. Can the standard Atari mapper address that much?

R77 can't (only up to 16K), I hope Atari enhanced their dumper. Fatal Run, the only other classic 32K game, is marked "untested" though.

BTW: Fortunately most of my own homebrews should work in the 2600+. :) 

• Thrust
  • Jammed
  • Swoops!
  • Three.s
  • Aardvark
  • Robot City
  • VROOM!
  • Bot&Tom (coming at PRGE)
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 12

On 8/23/2023 at 6:44 PM, Astro Rabby said:

Hm...wonder if this could replace my current 2600? Put it back in it's box and let it rest, yknow? I'd love a way to play 7800 games finally too. 

Then again if it's an emulation based machine  on HDMI it probably will have delayed input.

I use my AV modded 7800 and have let my original-ish 78 heavy-sixer rest and stay original*. It still works.
*Power LED modded it back in the 80's...

On 8/23/2023 at 9:18 PM, M-S said:

Maybe it hasn't been used since because the Flashbacks were being made by Atgames, a company that has only made plug-n-plays using cheap modern processors. And even though Atari didn't make the FB2 it's just an ASIC based on a system that they own. In case they weren't able to use it perhaps could use a generic 6502 chip and make a replacement for the TIA. I'm sure these chips would be very cheap, since anyone can buy them, but they would also need to mod it for something better than composite and use an upscaling chip, maybe the one that's inside the GBS-8200 would be the cheapest option. None of this is impossible in any way, but they would need more effort and it wouldn't play 7800, unless they somehow find a replacement for the GPU.

Define "Very Cheap". To fab a new chip, or even an old one, one must manufacture masks, develop a process, tape it out, build a probe card, etc, etc... Find a foundry fab that can actually do such old stuff on newer technology. I can think of only a handful, but then those only do military/govt chips and only their own.

One 25 wafer lot of 200mm (or older 100, 125, 150mm for that matter) wafers would also probably sufficient for the entire run of new consoles. What foundry is going to do all that work for one lot? People outside any industry have no idea what it actually takes to make a product. The Semiconductor industry notwithstanding. 6502's are (probably) still fabbed. But what else is going to use a TIA? I will say, I have seen PIA chips used in automated equipment (Semi equipment of all things.)

This is why FPGA and ASICs exist. You create the chip you need by programming one of these.

I wonder if these new Atari carts are just EEPROMs. Given the qty they will actually sell, especially when they are "limited runs" I would guess that they are either EEPROMs, or mask ROMs with 10's to 100's of games already on them and are activated by simply bridging traces on the PCB (Anyone wanna crack an XP cart open and see)? By this I mean, all the XP carts may just be the 10 in one multi-cart without the dip switches, but jumpers installed on the board to make one an Asteroids or whatever.

15 hours ago, mimo said:

UK pre order available

Atari 2600 Plus (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) https://amzn.eu/d/6iOMlWj

Still on the fence

There. Now all the whining can cease. They ALWAYS release in the US first. Get the bugs out, and the folks overseas get them kink-free.

12 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

-SNIP-

But there's more, the Atari 2600+ is not simply a commemorative system to be displayed, it was also born thinking of the Atari XP cartridge catalog which is expanding with new releases that will also be compatible with the original hardware. Not to forget the new CX40+ Joystick and CX30+ Paddle Controller, both a replica of the original design and compatible with the original hardware. And this time the prices are "popular" and finally international shipping is offered.

I think that all this can't be called "just another emulation box" and I really hope that the project will be successful for many reasons, just think of the return of visibility and popularity that could derive from it. I think it's positive for our community.

This. Basically now they sell a printer to use the ink they are already selling.

10 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I can understand the disappointment that some of the most technically advanced homebrew cartridges won't work with it (as well as some from back in the day). However, at the same time, I get the impression that this new leadership at the latest incarnation of Atari is coming up with some cool games and hardware. I think it is something I want to throw some support behind and see what more they can come up with in the future.

I would hazard a guess that they may develop their own advanced cartridge format or license one or more of the current Homebrew methods if this thing sells in high enough numbers. This would be a good thing.

11 hours ago, Bakasama said:

I would think all that ROM space Atari would think of putting at least a title screen with menu options.

On the multicart? Yeah, but that means more software, and if my theory above about them all already being multicarts, that may prove more difficult as it would have to be disabled, or not? or maybe the dipswitch model was the limit of their engineering capabilities.

I'll eventually buy one of these. Maybe when they drop in price after all the fanfare dies off.

• Like 1