IGNORED

2600+ w/7800 support

Goochman

I got to spend some time with the 2600+ last night. So he's my impromptu hot take.

I updated the firmware and stuff using the guide on the 2600+ forum. Pretty straightforward and easy to do.

I think the packaging is really nice. Nice HDMI and USB cable. No plug, but for me it's no issue, I just used the PSU from my Pi4. Everything is presented well.

The device itself is nice and compact, very tidy. My unit has some quite sharp edges on the lip at the side but other than that, it's very authentic and I love the little light up Atari logo.

The joystick ports on the back feels a little "big" and don't seem to grip the db9 connector well. Didn't cause any issues though.

I felt like games had a bit of input lag, not something I've ever noticed on MiSTer or emulation boxes like a raspberry pi. I probably need to tinker more and use a low latency game mode on the TV as reading a bit, that seems to be something to check out.

I slapped in my Koppers cart and it just worked :) that did make me smile and it looked and sounded great. I then played one of my other favourites a bit, Smurfs and then a bunch of other 2600 carts (I think I lost a good hour to Yar's Revenge - a 7800 version of that would be nice).

Overall, Lag issue aside (as that's probably a "me" problem with the TV settings), I'd give the 2600+ a solid 7.5 / 10.

Ship it with a 2 button controller and it's probably a solid 8.5 / 10 (my 7800 bias showing).

49 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm wondering if the deep discounts are because the product isn't doing well? It's surprising to see it discounted that much so soon after launch. 

I would be surprised if that were the case. I'm sure their estimates were modest. It's a niche product designed to play cartridges for a pre-Crash system. Not exactly big numbers possible there, so no reason to optimistically over-produce. 

Now, with the above in mind, I would instead think it's doing more or less what they expected in sales and pricing is just what happens with these types of products. I'm sure between the 2600+ margins and the production of new cartridges, they have their profits well in hand.

52 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I got to spend some time with the 2600+ last night. So he's my impromptu hot take.

<snip>

I did the same thing yesterday, i.e., set it up for the first time and updated the firmware. I didn't notice any lag on the monitor I used. I actually liked the joystick, although it's definitely quite a bit stiffer than even the originals. I also set up and did the insane manual update process for the VCS and found it to not be a great console or computer, although it was certainly interesting, especially when using the included joystick (which has some big pluses and minuses - so close to being great).

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, john_q_atari said:

They still haven't shipped the one I ordered over a month ago. It's looking like my last chance order might arrive first.

The race is on! The 2600+ is in the hands of US delivery and Al just emailed me tracking numbers for my last chance orders. W00h00!!!

On 3/9/2024 at 4:04 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

It is still full price in the US and hasn’t been discounted, or even gone on sale.
If anything maybe they overestimated the UK audience size, which was always going to be much smaller than the US audience size anyway.

UK audience doesn't deserve any discounts. They can't even pronounce Jaguar correctly.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just like Pharmaceuticals. US citizens pay exorbitant prices to fund the executive salaries and development, and the rest of the world gets them for chump change. These things are probably free in France LOL.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/11/2024 at 2:10 PM, Magic Knight said:

Now its gone! 😵 Cant get it at moment

Not showing up on Amazon searches either (only linkage from Google)

image.thumb.png.46c09eb6cd038f4c1994bc44753f2399.png

Damn, that's a shame. I do hope that they will get some more when I have some spare cash 

On 3/13/2024 at 3:48 AM, mimo said:

Damn, that's a shame. I do hope that they will get some more when I have some spare cash 

300px-The_Man_in_the_Yellow_Jacket.jpg.8eda01ce6a7ed4e4e3f842f2f47dbfe1.jpg

All the 2600/7800 home brewers hearing about 2600+ consoles selling out and expanding their customer base.

Edited by JagChris
  • Haha 2