IGNORED

2600+ w/7800 support

Goochman

On 2/29/2024 at 2:04 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Guessing tomorrow's price will be £71 :D 

For £70 ish, i'd take one. purely for testing compatibility.

They still haven't shipped the one I ordered over a month ago. It's looking like my last chance order might arrive first.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:04 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Guessing tomorrow's price will be £71 :D 

For £70 ish, i'd take one. purely for testing compatibility.

close!

image.thumb.png.f57cb11898203c49db554a1c2bb644f2.png

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

If it were that price here in the States I'd pick up another one just for backup... My current one is in storage at the moment...

I paid the full price when it was released and still feel it was worth it as a backup to use on modern displays. Especially when you have the current FW loaded on it that pretty much tackles all of the 7800 stuff at this point.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Especially when you have the current FW loaded on it that pretty much tackles all of the 7800 stuff at this point.

I ordered one and need to figure out the update process. Will take a look at that tomorrow sometime. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I ordered one and need to figure out the update process. Will take a look at that tomorrow sometime. 

It is pretty easy actually. I use the USB-C cable that came with it on mine to update through my Windows PC. I installed the updated dumper first and then the new FW. After that, I've only changed out FW for testing things and never messed with the dumper portion again. But they both basically update the same way. 

It occured to me that they may be competing with the other platforms of a similar vein for price.

For example, the Amiga counterpart is well tempting @ £84

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-A500-Mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B09BW8N7JZ/ref=pd_sbs_d_sccl_4_7/260-4721771-9045001?pd_rd_w=fePRF&content-id=amzn1.sym.ad51136c-8d04-4e54-9ec5-18cad2a65d61&pf_rd_p=ad51136c-8d04-4e54-9ec5-18cad2a65d61&pf_rd_r=AYTRMQ0A1PSB22M2GNQM&pd_rd_wg=7iZUr&pd_rd_r=377b69cf-d9bb-421e-aaaf-71d78c549a20&pd_rd_i=B09BW8N7JZ&psc=1

Just guessing but could well be a Commodore/ATARI price war happening here (again).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Now is the time :) 

image.thumb.png.8d6902e9fdee7873d65a029a0f7e3d0f.png

Grrr, spent my spare cash on a 400 Mini this month, followed by a broken car, a £300 dental bill and new double glazing.
So going to have to hope they get this cheap again in a few months 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mimo said:

Grrr, spent my spare cash on a 400 Mini this month, followed by a broken car, a £300 dental bill and new double glazing.

My cash (“spare” and otherwise) was the $1,600 we had to spend last week on a new refrigerator when the compressor on our old one gave up the ghost. Wasn’t worth the cost of fixing it given parts availability, the fact that a couple of the door shelves had cracked over the years, etc. A week before THAT, I had just dropped $500+ on a new set of HOTAS controllers for my gaming PC to use with DCS World, so no money for new retro toys. I’m annoyed about the fridge because I really wanted a 400 Mini. Of all the recent era “mini” consoles, that one strikes my fancy way more than most. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mimo said:

Where do you live? I thought you guys had free dental over there.

12 hours ago, JagChris said:

Where do you live? I thought you guys had free dental over there.

I live in the UK.
I think the best term would be subsidised dental care, it's not free unless you are on welfare.
For the top band of work it's just over £300, however, finding a dentist that will take on NHS work is almost impossible. And if you don't want to look like Jaws from the James Bond films you need to go private.
My £300 was the balance of a £500 bill for a 3D printed crown
image.thumb.png.8c2ff92d00b5227cdb369df36e78684e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mimo said:

I think the best term would be subsidised dental care, it's not free unless you are on welfare.

Having been a non-dental NHS patient on a couple of occasions, I'll second this.  'Free' healthcare is pretty much a myth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

Well I can tell you you couldn't get a crown here in the U.S. for anywhere near that.

Bear in mind that most of the NHS cost has been pre-paid in taxes, and more than once; the amount shown on the NHS chart is post-taxpayer (meaning the entire pool of taxpayers).  Essentially, it's equivalent to a co-pay.  TANSTAAFL.

19 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Bear in mind that most of the cost has been pre-paid in taxes, and more than once; the amount shown on the NHS chart is post-taxpayer (meaning the entire pool of taxpayers).  Essentially, it's equivalent to a co-pay.  TANSTAAFL.

That is another discussion. And probably not appropriate here. Sorry for getting OT. 

Let's get back on topic.

• Like 2