IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

OK, I wasn't going to, but I decided to add the shadows into the GM8.1 version and record some footage of it in action, as I think it does a better job of showing how this would look on SNES than a single image can manage to convey:

Getting a bit of that Super Mario Maker vibe with the shadows:

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

OK, I wasn't going to, but I decided to add the shadows into the GM8.1 version and record some footage of it in action, as I think it does a better job of showing how this would look on SNES than a single image can manage to convey:

How would you pull off the shadows in the SNES version? Did you adjust your 8bpp backgrounds colors to account for the additional colors you'd need for those shadow graphics and the new Goomba colors? If the answer to that latter question is no, then it's not showing how it would look on SNES at all.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Austin said:

God damnit. This thread makes me sad for two reasons. One, Kirk is posting. Two, Mario Maker (Wii U). I loved that game so much.. and now I can't upload levels.

Screw you, Kirk! SCREW YOU.

If it brings any levity to the situation, I'll point out that my closest friends know when I use the acronym S.M.B. while speaking to someone I dislike (as in, telling them to SMB) it instead stands for, uh... well... Let's just say it doesn't stand for "Super Mario Brothers."

• Haha 3

On 8/30/2023 at 11:09 PM, Austin said:

God damnit. This thread makes me sad for two reasons. One, Kirk is posting. Two, Mario Maker (Wii U). I loved that game so much.. and now I can't upload levels.

Screw you, Kirk! SCREW YOU.

Hey. the Switch has a Mario Maker, and it's rather nice.

I should post a link to my... unique... level.

• Haha 2

On 8/30/2023 at 4:47 PM, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

How would you pull off the shadows in the SNES version? Did you adjust your 8bpp backgrounds colors to account for the additional colors you'd need for those shadow graphics and the new Goomba colors? If the answer to that latter question is no, then it's not showing how it would look on SNES at all.

It's just sprites. You can only do color math between two planes (main and sub... and sub can be substituted for a color window instead). It just about rendering sprites to obj-palettes 0-3 and 4-7. Sprites with pal 4-7 can be used for the shadowing here.

But his demo again gets it wrong.. there's a part in his video where Alucard's shadow overlaps one of the goombas.

cYvMGiK2MDMj.png

You would get a weird clipping issues. All the "shadow" sprites would have to be behind all the normal sprites. You can even see this in SMW where translucent ghosts (including the big boo translucent boss ghost) are behind normal sprites - to avoid this clipping issue. But anyway, there's nothing special here going on. Unclear why he's all "speak to me if you want to know details of how I did this". Not to mention the whole thing where I broke down memory usages.. this additional stuff further cuts into it (which could be solved if he just clipped the viewable area).

Not sure I'm going to waste my time, but the coins don't prevent the PCE from doing this (minus the shadows of course). Just shows how little he knows of other systems too. His statement that the PCE can't do the coins in parallax (with my engine) is bunk.

Edited by turboxray
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Once you pop:

OK, so I lied and didn't stop as I said I was going to, and instead I added in a little bit more again. Hopefully the additions are obvious. :)

How would you do that Goomba? You're out of sprites and BG layers.

This is proof of concept mockup created in GameMaker 8.1 to show what would be possible on SNES using Mode 4 with an 8bpp image for the main background, 2bpp tiles for the foreground, standard 4bpp sprites, a bit of colour math for transparency, using both the window/shape masks for the giant Goomba, and a bit of HDMA in places.

Oh, so it's fucking magic. You clearly have no idea what any of that means because that's not how any of that works and there's no way you'd be able to pull off most of those shadows, let alone the giant goomba.

Stop dicking around in Game Maker, and start working with the actual hardware.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

He will do that with goomba because game maker said so (while ignoring the errors it kicked up.)

I think this may be as the earlier post said, him doing some 4D chess move of making the SNES have more posts and therefore seemingly better.  And another 4D chess move, we're probably not on ignore, we're being told we're on ignore, otherwise he would be bored and wouldn't keep trolling this crap with next to no one left to reply to it.

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2023 at 5:23 PM, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

Stop dicking around in Game Maker, and start working with the actual hardware.

This times 1,000.

It's also extra irritating that he's taking these concepts and labeling them as "SNES this, SNES that," in his video titles, when they are not. He's actively duping others that simply don't know any better into believing it's real hardware.

• Like 4

I decided to do a slightly different example this time to show how you could use Mode 4's 8bpp background and a few other SNES features:

It's all pretty standard stuff the SNES does largely by default, from most of my examples actually, but I'm just trying something a bit less par for the course with them.

Point being, with some creative thinking, there's probably a whole lot of ways this mode could be used beyond the typical title screen or maybe a cutscene image at most that we tended to see in any SNES games. And in modern times I think SNES indie/homebrew developers getting a bit more creative and adventurous with oft-ignored or underused modes like this would be nice to see.

Hopefully some aspiring SNES creators see some of my examples and at least think of some cool things they could do with these modes too.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Hey as maddening as insanity is, the timing of it, if he's honestly not looking(hah) and even more funny if he is, that Austin wrote that, and there's the response conveniently just after.  I mean, how hard to you really need to try to prove the point of anyone on that block list???  Game Maker is NOT SNES.

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Hopefully some aspiring SNES creators see some of my examples and at least think of some cool things they could do with these modes too.

All that's going to happen is they're going to be disappointed and possibly discouraged to the point of quitting when they realize most of your crap can't run on a real SNES.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I decided to do a slightly different example this time to show how you could use Mode 4's 8bpp background and a few other SNES features:

It's all pretty standard stuff the SNES does largely by default, from most of my examples actually, but I'm just trying something a bit less par for the course with them.

Point being, with some creative thinking, there's probably a whole lot of ways this mode could be used beyond the typical title screen or maybe a cutscene image at most that we tended to see in any SNES games. And in modern times I think SNES indie/homebrew developers getting a bit more creative and adventurous with oft-ignored or underused modes like this would be nice to see.

OK, someone who watched my video was curious about how I was using the tiles and memory in the example above, presumably to figure out how it would all fit into VRAM and such, so I decided to add that in here too for anyone who's interested:

Q. "Hello, how many tiles are you using? In my tests, I can achieve 768 tiles in mode-3, which is less than the 1024, but that's due to the high VRAM consumption of the 8bpp tiles. I noticed that your background looks very good. Could you please tell me the number of tiles and the size of the tilemap?" - SuperGameRetro

A. "Well, first, this is running in Mode 4, so I'm only using an 8bpp layer and a 2bpp layer, not 8bpp and 4bpp layers like in Mode 3.

Second, based on this thread https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?p=282127#p282127, the SNES can cover the entire screen in unique 8bpp tiles, which would be 896 tiles [Edit: And it looks like this is definitely possible in actual practice too: https://youtu.be/HjdOIw0aaGU?t=24], and still have some VRAM to spare for a very small amount of 2bpp background tiles and/or 4bpp sprites tiles. If you were covering the whole screen with 8bpp tiles and also wanted scrolling, you would need an extra column of 8bpp tiles too, which would reduce the amount of spare VRAM, but even then there would still be a tiny bit for a handful of either 2bpp or 4bpp tiles.

In my mockup above I'm nowhere near covering the full screen with 8bpp tiles, and in fact have a minimum of five full rows of tiles not using 8bpp at any time (two above the images and three below. Potentially three above and four below with a minor tweak to how I do the wooden frames and bottom shadow part of the images), and there's often gaps in between images on-screen too, so I have plenty of VRAM for all the 2bpp and 4bpp tiles I'm using here for the foreground and sprites. The Mario wallpaper is all low priority 2bpp layer tiles for example. And the wall above and below the images is nothing more than the backdrop colour plus some HDMA to change the colour on specific scanlines faking details like the skirting boards. Also, and I presume this is obvious, I would be loading in new tiles on the fly for both the background scrolling [at least on the 8bpp layer] and Alucard's animation frames here too, rather having them all loaded into VRAM at once.

The tile maps would be as small or large as they need to be for each layer to allow the scrolling, which is presumably 64x32 for the 8bpp background layer, and I think I could get away with a looping 32x32 for the 2bpp foreground layer (possibly even with 16x16 tiles to reduce the tile map size in memory further).

Hope that's both accurate and of help to you." - Me

Similarly, all my previous mockup examples and the examples I've already had coded up to work on SNES properly are all using similar methods in various places to reduce memory usage, take advantage of HDMA, use the window/shape masks to create pretty complex shapes, use Mode 0 to fake giant monster bosses, use the layer priorities for additional parallax, use the colour math for various effects, use sprites to fake some background or other elements, and whatever else I know of to use in novel ways to achieve the results.

If anyone else wants to know about how I've done anything in my examples, feel free to ask.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

OK, someone who watched my video was curious about how I was using the tiles and memory in the example above, presumably to figure out how it would all fit into VRAM and such, so I decided to add that in here too for anyone who's interested:

Similarly, all my previous mockup examples and the examples I've already had coded up to work on SNES properly are all using similar methods in various places to reduce memory usage, take advantage of HDMA, use the window/shape masks to create pretty complex shapes, use Mode 0 to fake giant monster bosses, use the layer priorities for additional parallax, use the colour math for various effects, use sprites to fake some background or other elements, and whatever else I know of to use in novel ways to achieve the results.

If anyone else wants to know about how I've done anything in my examples, feel free to ask.

This demo still won't work for multiple reasons:

• Your background still appears to have more than 256 colors. Meaning you're not allocating any palettes for your 2bpp layer or your 4bpp sprites.
  • Considering you're not doing your colors properly, I highly doubt your doing your VRAM tile math correctly.
  • You're trying to use additive blending to brighten the pixels behind the light cone window while also using subtractive blending to darken the pixels behind the players shadow at the same time. This can't work. You can do either additive blending or subtractive blending, but not both at the same time.

So once again, this won't work on a real SNES.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Damnit now you're lying to people on YT?  You're disgusting leading that tinfoil hat level of deception on people who have a general interest, TRUE and HONEST interest in SNES and how it works, maybe development.  Conning people like that with your bullshit word pasta is wrong at so many levels.  Maybe @TrekkiesUnite118 and others need to find this video comment, reply to it both directly, AND write the person who asked so they have the honest truth so people aren't misinformed.

Again Captain, stop...

kirkcantcode.jpg.05987ad706327cdedcec56913c787ec5.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I think this dude should get together with the NESgamemaker dude. I can picture the two of them passing their “games” back and forth on a sheet of grid paper- hopefully while holed up in the back of a Kinkos.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here is a homebrew showcase made a few months ago and the video which shows the games, including upcoming SNES homebrew titles that show that the scene is growing slowly but surely.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/06/round-up-every-game-showcased-at-the-first-homebrew-summer-showcase-2023

I read through the tread and i must say that while Kirk has good intentions, the methods he is using (i.e. GameMaker) are not. GameMaker is not a benchmark for what the SNES is capable of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I think this dude should get together with the NESgamemaker dude. I can picture the two of them passing their “games” back and forth on a sheet of grid paper- hopefully while holed up in the back of a Kinkos.

I dunno about this other guy you mention, but I ain't passing any of my SNES mockups as actual in-development games--my Mode 0 shmup is however an early SNES game with working SNES code examples to show how it would work on the console directly, despite being mostly in the design and art phase--so maybe you and your like need to learn to read things like video descriptions better.

And maybe actually go create something yourself, even just some simple proof of concept SNES mockups if that's all you can manage.

Your weak-minded sheep-mob behaviour and words of attack are far less of a contribution to anything of any worth to the SNES scene than you imagine I'm not making.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

34 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Here is a homebrew showcase made a few months ago and the video which shows the games, including upcoming SNES homebrew titles that show that the scene is growing slowly but surely.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/06/round-up-every-game-showcased-at-the-first-homebrew-summer-showcase-2023

I read through the tread and i must say that while Kirk has good intentions, the methods he is using (i.e. GameMaker) are not. GameMaker is not a benchmark for what the SNES is capable of.

The examples I am making in GameMaker 8.1 are representative of what SNES is capable of, with minor differences I have pointed out in my own video descriptions. And anyone whole tells you otherwise is either flat out lying to you or just doesn't know how I'm doing what I'm doing in my examples to make sure they would work on SNES and is too proud to simply admit they only think/believe it couldn't be done from that perspective. It's not my fault if I came up with an idea or relatively simple solution to something they couldn't and it pisses them off, so they feel compelled to try and dismiss it with all their might. But it is sad how much they want to deny the possibilities presented in my proof of concept mockups based on their own misguided lack of problem solving skills, and indeed for some of them to follow and troll me across the Internet in every single forum I join out of some utterly pathetic and creepy need to attack all I stand for, to try to get me excluded from every single online community like it threatens their very existence or something, and even more so when you see how easy it is for them to manipulate others to join their cause. Still, every individual is free to believe whatever narrative they chose to believe and to form/join whatever mob they choose. Time will reveal what is true or otherwise here and give us all food for thought 

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

18 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

I'm definitely happy to see the SNES indie/homebrew scene growing. :)