IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

I just wanted to chime in and say congratulations to @Albert on becoming a full time Atari employee!  I think you will be a great historian for them and it is a job role that was desperately needed within Atari.  This should turn out to be a great symbiotic relationship for the both of you.

I also wanted to say congratulations to @davpa and @TrogdarRobusto for their hard work and dedication to the Atari brand.  I, as well as many others have played Atari for decades and gotten so much joy from it.  Thank you for helping to continue the legacy of this treasured brand and expand it into the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, peekb said:

For clarification, would "monetizing our brand" include selling a homebrew title with an Atari/Jaguar/Lynx/etc. logo on the box/manual/etc.?

I'm no executive nor lawyer, but my gut says probably not, since the logos might be used to indicate compatibility or something, whether it's done by AtariAge or not.

4 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Al, will you be still in charge selling components (i.e. boards, etc.) for making cartridges? 

Yes, and I hope to add these items directly to the store (when I get the store moved to the new ecommerce platform), which is something I've wanted to do for a while.  But if you need anything, please contact me directly.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations Albert! I woke up today after sleeping in late because I tend to be up all night on the computer but I first heard of this from seeing this article headline
😲

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/atari-acquires-atariage

Atari acquires AtariAge
Publisher picks up retro community, brings site founder Albert Yarusso on board as internal historian

not knowing if it was just some article either flat out lying for clicks or making assumptions, either way obviously I had to head run on over here only to find these new threads and the site a buzz with all the news so here we are. I know many speculated that something like this might be in the works but seeing it in print as well as obviously the threads here confirming everything still seems almost surreal. Personally, I am excited to see where this takes the site and I am happy for you as I have no doubt this decision was made with much consideration and thought. So if you see this as an opportunity to evolve and move the site forward, well then, I will be here for the ride wherever it takes us, it's like an adventure

Adventure Going GIF

but most of all, I think whatever current form Atari is today this is definitely one of their smarter moves imho and I am glad that they see the value of bringing you and Atariage into the fold! Change is constant, everyone will have their own ideas on what this means but I have faith in your decisions.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, peekb said:

For clarification, would "monetizing our brand" include selling a homebrew title with an Atari/Jaguar/Lynx/etc. logo on the box/manual/etc.?

I'm curious about the Jaguar logo as well.  As far as I know, Hasbro released the system into the public domain around 2000.  It would be sort of shitty to go back on that some 20+ years later.  However, recent Songbird re-release of Towers-II does not have the Jag logo on it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Not for AtariAge, though.

I have long thought about what it would mean to have AtariAge publish some of our TI-99/4A home-brew titles, and I definitely have one in mind.  Of course, Dragon's Lair would be incredibly welcome, should Atari want to step into that.

34 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thank you, I'm glad you've enjoyed the site all this time.  :)

For the past 13 years, this has been a large part of my life.  I am not on other social media, and no where else gives me the chance to geek-out, nerd-out, or rock-out with people who deeply share my interests.  I cannot even get this interaction with my closest friends.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm curious about the Jaguar logo as well.  As far as I know, Hasbro released the system into the public domain around 2000.  It would be sort of shitty to go back on that some 20+ years later.  However, recent Songbird re-release of Towers-II does not have the Jag logo on it.

I noticed the lack of Logo as well.  Also now can we get Jaguar Repro controllers with the Atari logo on it? 

It does seem like the GNUAtari is moving in the right direction.  (Sorry, couldn't help the pun, since AtariOS on the VCS is based on GNU and Linux.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, r_chase said:

For those that are leaving the forums, but come back anyway, here's a pic for you. :3

download.png

There are those that have their reasons for hating Atari for how they handled (are handling?) The VCS launch, but it seems that Atari are making the right moves to attempt to succeed, probably for the first time since the Tramiels decided not to also buy the Atari Games division...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Been doing label art here since the 2000s and wondering after Atari comes in can I still do label art works like before?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Why would we stop it? Hell, we’ll probably be asking Al for your contact information about future projects.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Almost all the new games and collections we make come out on all the modern consoles and PC ... the idea of porting old Atari games to other legacy hardware systems is an interesting one. Not sure how viable that is commercially, but maybe?

Commercially viable? Maybe not. But supporting a port to another platform without putting a gigantic weight on the shoulders of the developer to explicit it here to Atari, or having Atari outright slap the developer aside with a cease and desist; avoiding all of that plus actual support in good words for the developer putting old Atari games to some other platform as a homebrew projects would go a long way towards the commu

nity at large building trust for the new Atari.   

I guess what I'm really trying to say is I hope Atari doesn't relegate it's legal relationship with homebrew developers into the trash bin the same way as Namco and Nintendo have done.

Edited by Vectrexer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have long thought about what it would mean to have AtariAge publish some of our TI-99/4A home-brew titles, and I definitely have one in mind.  Of course, Dragon's Lair would be incredibly welcome, should Atari want to step into that.

Yes, I would love to do that!  I have a TON of TI-99/4As, many of them in the box, and hundreds of cartridges.  Unfortunately, Dragon's Lair is probably not going to happen due to the large amount of money that would have to be coughed up to publish another round of those carts, but other games without that heavy weight are certainly doable.  :)

..Al

• Like 8

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

@TrogdarRobusto: I realise that this question doesn't have a concrete answer, but would like to hear what you have to say regarding it.

The reputation that Atari, SA has built up with a large chunk of the community over the past few years can be charitably described as less than stellar.  Does Atari, SA intend to repair that relationship, and, if so, how?

I think most of us that are currently banned from Atari's Facebook, Twitter, and reddit pages for nothing more than asking uncomfortable VCS questions are going to be a tough nut to crack. 

I'd love to be won back but I'm not sure a corporate buyout of the preeminent fan community was the sign I was looking for.

• Like 10