IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

7 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

This could have been a write down of penalties due to ending the contract early, or it could have been due to the loss of future revenue. That doesn’t mean they were losing money on it while it was active.

Oh, I suppose it's possible that they made money on their blockchain activities overall, but you'd probably have to do some digging through the past reports to find out for sure. The speed at which it all came crashing down doesn't inspire confidence though.

Whatever happened, that's a big hit to the balance sheet of a relatively small company and I'd hope that it's one that the new CEO had priced in when he took over.

They've still got around €1 million in cryptocurrency (mostly in the aforementioned Atari tokens) on the books too, and that's surely going to have to be written off at some point as well.

• Like 1

Stock related notes for those not following along-

Wade has been spending Atari money to pay off debts while acquiring many things, taking part ownership in many things (Playmaji, Antstream, etc).  Part of the reason the #'s are bad.  Reinvestment in the company.

At the same time- Wade locked out U.S. investors for over 18 months- completely de-listed Atari on the Nordic market, dropped Atari's listing tier in France to a lower level- and purposely limited news, etc- to drive the stock price down.

Why?  Because during that time- he attempted a 'friendly' takeover of the company.  He wanted his price per share to be as low as possible of course.

He failed.  And the attempt cost him millions.

So-he bought shares on the public market until he reached a legal limit - just under 30%- at which point if he crosses that limit of shares he is REQUIRED to do another takeover bid- which again would cost him millions and he would fail.

Instead- he then launched a convertible bond sale- of which he bought most himself.

He can turn those bonds into Atari shares- but again can't yet- so he will hold the bonds for a few years- the limit legality passes- and at that time he converts them to shares- putting him just over 50% ownership of Atari.

So- as we speak- he effectively if not actually- has full control of Atari.

Combine his commitment / investment- with his acquisitions & progress- it is clear he is moving the company forward.  (his last interview a couple days ago he *repeatedly* mentioned Atari acquiring more companies).

To that note- I purchased another 28,000 shares a couple weeks ago...and have intentions to continue piling up my own % again and again... just like I have been doing for many years now.

SO yea- those that understand all that...this price is a bargain.  Just buy enough at a time to make the $50 foreign charge not matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Matt_B said:

The hotel deal is already dead, and along with it their association with the company that created the Atari token.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/atari-announces-planned-creation-token-160500017.html

This resulted in a €11 million write down. So much for the idea that any of this crap was free money for Atari.

Like it or not, the Atari token will live on for the lifetime of the Etherium blockchain. Once you create something like that it's got a life of its own, beyond the reach of even trademark law, so that's yet more tarnish on the brand that's not going to come off.

The VCS project also resulted in substantial writedowns. While I'd think that it's worthwhile to keep supporting it at the level it currently is for the sake of goodwill with the fans, it'll never be a profitable venture and any substantial investment in it now would just be throwing good money after bad. While I'm not particularly enamored with the 2600+, at least that looks like it'll be a launch-and-leave affair that doesn't leave them on the hook for much in the way of long-term support.

On the whole, I'd think that Atari can respect their legacy far better by publishing indie games that respect their past, compilations of classics and remasters of selected titles. They're doing quite well at that so far, so I hope they stick at it.

Getting back into AAA games or genuinely competitive console hardware is just pie in the sky stuff. Give them a chance to learn how to walk before expecting them to fly.

Ok, I agree with you on the Atari token. It doesn't mean it Atari needs to spend much corporate resources on this thing. As for VCS, I do support aspects of the VCS that can be improved like moving the AtariOS and store beyond the VCS. However, no major resources should be used on that so as to mitigate corporate expenses. 

I am not saying they should immediately spend resources on "AAA" games in-house. I agree with homebrew/indie development but that's going to be diminishing returns. They need modern games or other genuine games that people not interested in just a rehash of the same 40 year old game for the 50th time. This is where Atari becomes a publisher for indie and small studios and larger studios that makes the game. Publishing is mostly a matter of licensing and agreements. Atari brand would help the indie studios (for example) public exposure because they'll catch the attention of media. This is marketing. Atari brand is actually recognized like Sega is. It is a recognized brand that is remembered by entire generations of people on Earth. This is where Atari can use that to leverage and market quality indie studios projects that may literally have nothing to do with historic Atari games. This can take Atari into the future with new IP. Atari would easily garner attention and free media coverage. With some work, they'll be able to gain store shelves space with stores. Atari can even help in some fashion to promote kickstarter and other crowdfunding campaign of various projects and even offer to publish and help market good games. 

This isn't hard for them to do but the point is not to paint themselves into a box of being just a retro brand. They need to support both retro and new. They need to do both. This isn't something they can't do. They can even do something akin to a modern day version of Softdisk Publishing. Maybe it won't be a traditional diskmag but use the power of modern day platform to deliver articles, games, marketing ad for various games and projects (in the non-annoying manner). An opportunity of AtariAge in part. Even if this aspect is independently handled so Al isn't over extended. I'm throwing ideas out there. They look at the forum, they can look into this.

Various web ad marketing as appropriate as well. Atari's role as publisher versus making the games themselves except select projects would be doable and the developers be encouraged to publish with them especially smaller studios.  This day and age, you have modern Youtube & Twitch, this can be surely part of it. However, there is limitations but when combined say a modern version of the "diskmag'... a web publication of sorts. A subscription model. Accessed, say through the Atari VCS menu and likewise in a sensible easy manner on other platforms/systems. This would only be a component of the larger publishing strategy but helps new upcoming game developers gain exposure and recognition. That's the hard thing starting out, because no one knows you so they don't even look for you. Marketing awareness is key to getting a product sold. No one buys what they don't even know exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowerDubs said:

Stock related notes for those not following along-

Wade has been spending Atari money to pay off debts while acquiring many things, taking part ownership in many things (Playmaji, Antstream, etc).  Part of the reason the #'s are bad.  Reinvestment in the company.

At the same time- Wade locked out U.S. investors for over 18 months- completely de-listed Atari on the Nordic market, dropped Atari's listing tier in France to a lower level- and purposely limited news, etc- to drive the stock price down.

Why?  Because during that time- he attempted a 'friendly' takeover of the company.  He wanted his price per share to be as low as possible of course.

He failed.  And the attempt cost him millions.

Where did Wade's money come from, and for how long is this kind of behavior sustainable?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Where did Wade's money come from, and for how long is this kind of behavior sustainable?

I think I can answer this, it's because of his family, I remember reading something about his father being a wealthy banker/business man, he has money to spare so investing millions in Atari is not a personal risk to him

1 hour ago, Wildstar said:

This isn't hard for them to do but the point is not to paint themselves into a box of being just a retro brand. They need to support both retro and new. They need to do both. This isn't something they can't do. They can even do something akin to a modern day version of Softdisk Publishing. Maybe it won't be a traditional diskmag but use the power of modern day platform to deliver articles, games, marketing ad for various games and projects (in the non-annoying manner). An opportunity of AtariAge in part. Even if this aspect is independently handled so Al isn't over extended. I'm throwing ideas out there. They look at the forum, they can look into this.

Various web ad marketing as appropriate as well. Atari's role as publisher versus making the games themselves except select projects would be doable and the developers be encouraged to publish with them especially smaller studios.  This day and age, you have modern Youtube & Twitch, this can be surely part of it. However, there is limitations but when combined say a modern version of the "diskmag'... a web publication of sorts. A subscription model. Accessed, say through the Atari VCS menu and likewise in a sensible easy manner on other platforms/systems. This would only be a component of the larger publishing strategy but helps new upcoming game developers gain exposure and recognition. That's the hard thing starting out, because no one knows you so they don't even look for you. Marketing awareness is key to getting a product sold. No one buys what they don't even know exist.

Whether it be fully web-based or be a "disk" magazine, more likely not actual floppy disk, but as a digital download package and hybridized with web content.  Modern technologies that uses modern technologies. I may start his up but this requires support of a community including contributing writers and other contributions. Partial hybrid web can allow some stuff to be dynamically included. This way, there can be stuff of current verses what may be after the fact that was common with traditional disk magazines. 

On 9/8/2023 at 3:26 AM, Albert said:

Yes, absolutely.

..Al

Hello again Albert 👋🏼,

I hope you are doing well!

I just wanted to ask you, do you know when you will ship my big order? You have an estimate date? 
I really can’t wait to get them and try them 😍

I will be waiting for your valuable reply!

thank you very much 😊

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I think I can answer this, it's because of his family, I remember reading something about his father being a wealthy banker/business man, he has money to spare so investing millions in Atari is not a personal risk to him

I thought the family business was in agriculture. So long as it's not socks, it's all good though. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

I thought the family business was in agriculture. So long as it's not socks, it's all good though. 🙂

In 2015 the Rosen family was #191 on Forbe's America's Richest Families list.

They own Rosen Diversified-

https://www.forbes.com/companies/rosens-diversified/?list=largest-private-companies&sh=4068e81f1a2d

#178 America's Largest Private Companies (2022)

Revenue of over 3 BILLION a year.  Not just last year...every year for the last decade..

RDI also owns https://www.americanfoodsgroup.com/  which shows revenue of a billion and growing-

https://www.farmprogress.com/dairy-cattle/american-foods-group-turns-shovel-on-new-beef-processing-plant

AFG themselves acquire other companies as well- https://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/23487-american-foods-group-acquires-family-owned-pork-processor

And then to top it all off- Rosen's Divisersified owns it's own trucking company- https://www.americasserviceline.com/

The family also has people in government positions.

So- Wade has not only the funds to do what he wants- but the connections with knowledge on how to get it done.

If you already look at the tree he has planted at Atari- it has several branches in his relatively short time in control... starting with the roots at Irata to lend Atari money..then a little investment in Antstream, Portal One, Playmaji, acquiring Stern, Ocean NightDive, Moby, Atariage, and probably others I am forgetting...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

So- Wade has not only the funds to do what he wants- but the connections with knowledge on how to get it done.

Millions of kids have said "my family bought me an Atari for Christmas" but when Wade says it, it has a whole different meaning!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

In 2015 the Rosen family was #191 on Forbe's America's Richest Families list.

They own Rosen Diversified-

https://www.forbes.com/companies/rosens-diversified/?list=largest-private-companies&sh=4068e81f1a2d

#178 America's Largest Private Companies (2022)

Revenue of over 3 BILLION a year.  Not just last year...every year for the last decade..

RDI also owns https://www.americanfoodsgroup.com/  which shows revenue of a billion and growing-

https://www.farmprogress.com/dairy-cattle/american-foods-group-turns-shovel-on-new-beef-processing-plant

AFG themselves acquire other companies as well- https://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/23487-american-foods-group-acquires-family-owned-pork-processor

And then to top it all off- Rosen's Divisersified owns it's own trucking company- https://www.americasserviceline.com/

The family also has people in government positions.

If you already look at the tree he has planted at Atari- it has several branches in his relatively short time in control... starting with the roots at Irata to lend Atari money..then a little investment in Antstream, Portal One, Playmaji, acquiring Stern, Ocean NightDive, Moby, Atariage, and probably others I am forgetting...

So what you're saying is that this is the family indulging Junior's desire to own a video game company in order to see if he runs it into the ground before giving him free rein over the family businesses.  Got it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cvga said:

Millions of kids have said "my family bought me an Atari for Christmas" but when Wade says it, it has a whole different meaning!

"Nooo!  I meant I wanted a 2600 for Christmas!    Well now that I own Atari I guess I'll just have to build my own"

- The inside scoop of how the 2600+ came to be

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

So what you're saying is that this is the family indulging Junior's desire to own a video game company in order to see if he runs it into the ground before giving him free rein over the family businesses.  Got it.

You can't run a company into the ground that was already 6 feet under. Whatever way Wade has his money, he's bringing something Atari has desperately needed for like 10+ years: money. Wade seems more like a gamer than a businessman, so it will be interesting to see if he can pull Atari up.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, GoldLeader said:

One Tiny iteration of this company ago was an "atari" (Chesnais era) that I'd call downright hostile to those on this forum...HMmmm...Guess everybody quickly forgot.

I came in at the end of that era and the beginning of the Rosen era ... the change in how we interact with the Atari community was palpable, welcome and long overdue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, zzip said:

"Nooo!  I meant I wanted a 2600 for Christmas!    Well now that I own Atari I guess I'll just have to build my own"

- The inside scoop of how the 2600+ came to be

I actually said something like that in an interview, I think Wade did too. You might be referencing that? I mentioned it in the context of Wade soldering RCA cables to his original 2600 ... funny

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

You can't run a company into the ground that was already 6 feet under. Whatever way Wade has his money, he's bringing something Atari has desperately needed for like 10+ years: money. Wade seems more like a gamer than a businessman, so it will be interesting to see if he can pull Atari up.

I really don't want to wade into the conjecture about our Chairman and CEO (nice pun right?). But, I will say from personal experience and some understanding of his background that he is both a businessman and a gamer. 

Edited by TrogdarRobusto
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

I really don't to wade into the conjecture about our Chairman and CEO (nice pun right?). But, I will say from personal experience and some understanding of his background that he is both a businessman and a gamer. 

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that as an insult, but more as a compliment. There are certain game CEOs who come off as not caring about their end products because they don't seem like actual gamers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that as an insult, but more as a compliment. There are certain game CEOs who come off as not caring about their end products because they don't seem like actual gamers.

100% ... we are all good... he is an actual gamer. I don't know how he finds the time, but I am very grateful that he does.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

I find a lot the heads of AAA companies don’t seem to “get” gaming. For example, the current version of Activision is scarcely the company that made Atari games back in early 80’s. Currently, they’re seen as the company that ruined Blizzard.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

Seems Amazon Germany has run out of 2600+

Amazon2600PlusGermany.jpg

It's funny looking back now at when this product was first announced, so many people especially around here were claiming that there was no market for this  (bla bla  it isn't fpga so the hardcore aren't gonna buy it bla bla it only has 10 built-in  games so casuals won't like it either etc ) wonder what the cope is going to be now that it's obvious for anyone to see that this console is going to be a great success for Atari 🤔

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, D Train said:

if he approaches this from a "mission driven" perspective rather than solely a profit driven one, that would be a welcome change.

If your mission is a good one, a mission that has a strong community, sense of purpose, makes sense in the marketplace ... one would imagine that it would also be profitable. that is what I am rooting for ... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nall3k said:

Whatever way Wade has his money, he's bringing something Atari has desperately needed for like 10+ years: money.

No disagreement from me on either count.

3 hours ago, Nall3k said:

Wade seems more like a gamer than a businessman, so it will be interesting to see if he can pull Atari up.

I hold a similar perception of him and am waiting to see if the same thing happens as well.

FWIW, my comment was intended to be taken facetiously; should've been a bit clearer about that.  Seeing the guy with the history of trying to suck people into his Atari stock pump-and-dump scheme speaking as though he wasn't trying to carry on the tradition was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

• Like 2