IGNORED

Eighty-Six Sprites [was "Sixty-Nine" Sprites]

RevEng

Apparently some fans of other consoles see my 7800 "101 sprites demo", and conclude that a large number of sprites is only possible when the background is black/solid. It's the same old shared-bus cycle-stealing rhetoric from people that haven't coded anything for the 7800. They look at a single 7800 wiki page, stay at a Holiday Inn Express, and all of a sudden they're 7800 gurus who "know" it's impossible that the console has any useful strengths. 

As a response I put together this Sixty-Nine Eighty-Six Sprite tech demo, which has 86 animated sprites, a detailed background, rmt music playing, and a scroller. Enjoy!

Play it live in your browser thanks to JS7800! (if it doesn't play music, hit the reset button - some browsers mute sound until you interact)

Or download it to play in your favourite emulator or flashcart...

EightySix.a78

[rom update 1 - changed one of the sprite palettes]

[rom update 2 - fixed the spelling of Gollum. Whoops!]

[rom update 3 - updated from 69 to 86 sprites]

[rom update 4 - minor typo]

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

This is also dedicated to all the people who keep repeating that the 7800 has good sprite capabilities but the black background will be necessary.

Anticipating their next argument: "yeah, well, that's only a demo!  It doesn't count unless it's in a game!"

Excellent work, @RevEng!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Anticipating their next argument: "yeah, well, that's only a demo!  It doesn't count unless it's in a game!"

Bad memories. By the way, I have a 7800 map converted from SNES that is 90% complete, and on CRT you might confuse it with the original version. I hope that when it is completed it will be possible to share it.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, RevEng said:

Apparently some fans of other consoles see my 7800 "101 sprites demo", and conclude that a large number of sprites is only possible when the background is black/solid. It's the same old shared-bus cycle-stealing rhetoric from people that haven't coded anything for the 7800. They look at a single 7800 wiki page, stay at a Holiday Inn, and all of a sudden they're 7800 gurus able to proclaim that the 7800 is lacking. 

As a response I put together this Sixty-Nine Sprite tech demo, which has 69 animated sprites, a detailed background, rmt music playing, and a scroller. Enjoy!

Play it live in your browser thanks to JS7800! (if it doesn't play music, hit the reset button)

Or download it to play in your favourite emulator or flashcart...

Sixty-Nine Sprite Demo.a78 128.13 kB · 28 downloads

[edit - changed one of the sprite palettes]

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=95037

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RevEng said:

I've included the source for the demo in the 7800basic samples directory, in case anybody is curious.

Very nice demo Mike! And another sample with some useful tips and tricks to learn from! I really need to make these accessible from ADS.

• Like 8

Last time I do this, but I've updated the demo in the first post. I had left some DMA on the table in the original "sixty-nine" demo, and after fixing that up, I have 86 animated sprites instead. Not so "nice", but I figured having the extra sprites was worth spoiling the joke.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Excellent demo.  Would it be possible to use this colour palette (from the 8-bit, I believe this was done in Graph2Font).

That's very cool, and it's possible to get something close to that, but it would cost a few sprites - maybe 4 or 5.

The main point of the demo is made, and I'm ready to move on from this one for now, but I may revisit it with your suggestion at some point. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RevEng said:

That's very cool, and it's possible to get something close to that, but it would cost a few sprites - maybe 4 or 5.

The main point of the demo is made, and I'm ready to move on from this one for now, but I may revisit it with your suggestion at some point. :thumbsup:

Thanks for these demos.  I had absolutely NO idea the 7800 was such a sprite powerhouse.  I also did not know how heavily the Jaguar borrowed from it, with the object list, single scanline buffer, etc.  Always looking forward to these great little demos.

• Like 4