IGNORED

Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version's ?

JPF997

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Regarding Johnny Marr, I'm just saying that if the most powerful film music composer in Hollywood today works with him, he must be somehow competent. 😉 And I get the "I wish I could play" thing, but that's precisely what I feel for Aline's guitar track for instance. If it sounds easy for you, good for you! But I'm not very fond of the Satriani-like solos that often sound "detached" from the songs (not sure I can express this well in English).

Hahaha, I remember as a kid (grade school) hearing some songs and thinking the song was really good and then the solo starts and I got annoyed, why is this guy just hitting a bunch of notes at random, what happened to the singing?!?  Had no idea what I was listening to or understanding what rock music or an instrumental part was.  Now that I know better (I hope) there are still occasional bands or songs where I'm listening, pretty good song, then the solo kicks in and it feels like this definitely was written for a completely different song, what the fuck is this guy doing, is he paid by the note?  It doesn't happen often but when it does I'm with you, sounds very detached.  There are some metal bands that live for that, it's like they change time signatures every measure, it actually feels like you're switching radio stations and cutting into another song, over and over.  I get the skill to be able to play something that nuts live, but that's not a song anymore for most people, it's an exercise in difficulty.

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Anyway, to each their own. We clearly have totally different tastes in music. 🤷‍♂️

I guess that's true if you can't stand Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, Big Band, Blues and/or Jazz Fusion?  And orchestral John Williams/James Horner style soundtrack music as well?  I don't not like Jazz, it's just too "high brow" for me, usually, like Classical.  I recoil from most Pop and New Wave (and Punk and Death Metal or whatever that Cookie Monster vocals shit is).  AutoTuned vocals is verboten regardless of genre.  Folk bores me to tears, same with Country.  Polka and Mexican Banda music, ugh, repetitive like Reggae.  Etc., I'm sure I'm forgetting some styles.

Edit: Soul and Funk!  Dammit, how could I forget those, they're mostly really good.

Edited by ledzep

On 9/17/2023 at 10:23 PM, ledzep said:

How can it not be remotely close to the truth when I've seen actual "recharged" games with all those stupid additions?  Not all the games because, obviously, I'm not in the mood to play them so maybe a few don't all have all the extra unnecessary bullshit additions, maybe just one or two, but that's too much already.

Fuck synthwave, that's elevator music.  I want people to actually play instruments in my music.  And yes, many of them still do, even many current bands!

I have nothing against a modernized '80s game if that game was boring/flawed to start out with.  Imagine for example if the 2600 version of Pac-Man was the arcade version, then Ms. Pac-Man would be a welcomed and needed improvement.  I would consider Space Duel a modernization of Asteroids and I love it.  But additions that don't add to gameplay are a waste of code and a distraction.  Tilting the camera around to make things seems "faster" or more dramatic doesn't help, it's annoying.  When you play a game where the playing field isn't slipping around do you suck at the game and wish that the view would keep changing?  I don't.  If there's no shitty music blaring does that actually change how the game plays?  No, you can add your own favorite shitty music from your stereo, the controls are unaffected.  If you're not good enough to clear a level without 3 power-ups wasting everything that moves and a 4th that shields you, stop playing video games.

I feel like I benefitted from growing up with those old/original '80s games because they were limited by graphics and CPU so they had to squeeze as much gameplay out of those clunky machines as possible.  Once chips got faster and more powerful gameplay was less important compared to graphics/shading/colors, you got better looking games but many added nothing to gameplay and many of them actually lost gameplay.  Modern games veer towards 1st person, whether shooters or exploring or driving or whatever, beautiful environments with real-time shading and lighting, oooooooh, almost like a movie.  Yay.  But the simple games don't need that shit, photoreal Space Invaders or photoreal Asteroids adds absolutely dick to how the game actually plays, whether that gameplay is good or not.  Loud, monotonous, soulless music adds nothing, improves nothing.  Power-ups make things easier, now I'm invincible for 10 seconds!!  Who asked for that?

If a simple straightforward '80s game bores you I can understand that, some of them bore me, too.  But changing them to ADHD experiments isn't the solution.  It's like going to a modern football or basketball game, whenever there's a pause in play the announcers won't fucking shut up, they're constantly telling the crowd to get loud or here's 20 seconds of crap music or look at all these highlights on the screens, distract distract distract!  Knock that shit off, I want to enjoy the game.

1) You clearly have never bothered to play any of the recharged games, whenever you start playing any of these games they give you the option right at the beginning to deactivate power ups, the fact that you don't even know this show's me that you only came to  this thread to shit on these remake's just because they're not the precious version's you grew up with.

2) There is nothing more Atari than synthwave, especially if we're talking about the Atari of the future (blade runner), synth/vaporware aesthetics and music fit Atari like a glove, naturally modern Atari understood this and decided to use this artstyle when creating the recharged games, if you don't like it that's a you problem because the vast majority of people who are into Atari love these aesthetics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzip said:

Morrisey (Smiths Singer) is in a class of his own when it comes to "bored/depressed melodically complaining" :)   That said, there are two songs by him I actually like:   "Everyday is like Sunday" and..   well I forget the other one.

But I disagree that most of the music of that era was like that.  Most of it is happier and more upbeat, and even the darker songs don't resort to Morrisey-style vocals.  Well maybe the Cure is in that class...

You're probably right, I was just saying that was the worst of what that music is, all the possible crap elements combined.  Sure, some/many New Wave type bands weren't depressing with the vocals and some had better musicians (or at least wrote better songs, musically, I care little for lyrics).  And it's not like all Rock bands are great, either.  I remember in high school some classmates couldn't shut up about Morrisey, I would hear a couple songs they liked and think, are you guys nuts?  Have you never heard Freddie Mercury sing?  Or Glenn Hughes?  This is your go-to?  Maybe it's a cry for help, hahaaha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ledzep said:

You're probably right, I was just saying that was the worst of what that music is, all the possible crap elements combined.  Sure, some/many New Wave type bands weren't depressing with the vocals and some had better musicians (or at least wrote better songs, musically, I care little for lyrics).  And it's not like all Rock bands are great, either.  I remember in high school some classmates couldn't shut up about Morrisey, I would hear a couple songs they liked and think, are you guys nuts?  Have you never heard Freddie Mercury sing?  Or Glenn Hughes?  This is your go-to?  Maybe it's a cry for help, hahaaha.

On 9/18/2023 at 2:38 AM, jerseystyle said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b7af26b09c5a22bd29e991b50d6d00bd.jpeg

Do you actually disagree with me that synthwave is the aesthetic that most fits Atari's games and culture in general, because I just don't get how anyone could make that argument.

https://youtu.be/8GW6sLrK40k?si=FwRRIggJoZNqJDpr

https://on.soundcloud.com/TkLdc

https://images.app.goo.gl/UN3YrnNBNoXFjWY78

2 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

1) You clearly have never bothered to play any of the recharged games, whenever you start playing any of these games they give you the option right at the beginning to deactivate power ups, the fact that you don't even know this show's me that you only came to  this thread to shit on these remake's just because they're not the precious version's you grew up with.

If you can deactivate the stupid shit then what's the point of including the stupid shit?  The recharged versions brag about that stupid shit, it's the selling point, ok?  So, great, you can deactivate some of the stupid shit, I wish that included the bright fireworks explosions, too, but whatever.  But if you reduce it to what is essentially a version of the original game but with cartoony backgrounds, cartoony objects, similar gameplay, what was the point?  "Recharged" means recharged, you include all the stupid shit that the original doesn't have.  Every part of the new stupid shit that you turn off is an admission that it's unnecessary, that the original approach was better.  Guess how much I'd turn off.

Of course I never bothered to play any of the recharged games, they look like crap and improve on nothing over the originals.  I remember going into arcades and watching someone play a new game I'd never seen, within a few minutes I could tell if I was going to like playing the game or not, I didn't need to actually play the game for an hour.  A 20-minute video of someone playing Whatever Recharged is more than enough to tell me if I want to play that bloated version or if I'd prefer the original.

I could change my mind if I saw a recharged version of something really simple or bland like, say, Surround or Pong or Outlaw.  Ya, maybe those recharged versions might have some cool improvements worth trying out.  But my guess is that the programmers would charge way past "improved" in order to load the game up with stupid shit, piles of power-ups and new bright/annoying animations for simple actions, shaky camera moves, crap music, look look look!  No thanks, I guess I stick with bland.

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

2) There is nothing more Atari than synthwave, especially if we're talking about the Atari of the future (blade runner), synth/vaporware aesthetics and music fit Atari like a glove, naturally modern Atari understood this and decided to use this artstyle when creating the recharged games, if you don't like it that's a you problem because the vast majority of people who are into Atari love these aesthetics.

To you, maybe.  People already complain that this modern Atari is just a shell of the original company and its style, which I agree, though I'll give this new 2600+ idea a shot.  Atari started out in the late '70s/early '80s, that's the classic golden age of it, that's what made them famous globally.  No synthwave, sorry.

And if Atari is so futuristic, why are they making another 2600 box?  Why are they stuck in the '80s, hmm?  They know what the people want and they seem to want that early '80s version more than anything else.

"Blade Runner" is a fictional sci-fi story, it's not real, so I don't know why you present that as some sort of supporting evidence, the only "Atari" in that movie was a neon sign.

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

Interesting, the video is as monotonous, repetitive and bland as the music.  Symmetry achieved!  Wait wait, calm down, no exclamation mark, that's way too expressive for this "music".  Instead just slowly (slowly) widen your eyes while very slowly raising your fist over your head, take at least 5 minutes to complete that action.  Ssshhhh, softly...  buhbuhbuh buhbuhbuh buhbuhbuh buhbuhbuh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

34 minutes ago, ledzep said:

"Blade Runner" is a fictional sci-fi story, it's not real, so I don't know why you present that as some sort of supporting evidence, the only "Atari" in that movie was a neon sign.

Atari in Blade runner represents the giant mega corporation Atari could have become if not for the crash of 1983, another example of this hypothetical future is Segotari in Cyberpunk, and in both of these retro futuristic scenarios Atari is synonymous with synth/vaporware aesthetics and music  (why do  think modern Atari  and it's fans love this  aesthetic so much , maybe they understand something you don't).

https://youtu.be/I9EzJFQKLz0?si=su8kBuqUdqTuZCmQ

47 minutes ago, ledzep said:

If you can deactivate the stupid shit then what's the point of including the stupid shit?  The recharged versions brag about that stupid shit, it's the selling point, ok?  

So Atari is damned if they do and damned if they don't, they had cool new features to make these games more enjoyable for more modern/mainstream audience's and you'll shit on them because they destroyed the "purity" of the originals, but then you will also shit on them for allowing you to deactivate the power ups so that you can enjoy a more classic experience , maybe the problem here is actually you and not the game's my  Boomer friend.

7 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Atari in Blade runner represents the giant mega corporation Atari could have become if not for the crash of 1983,

I'd love it if you could provide a link to the production assistant's next-door neighbor's cut of "Blade Runner" that details this sub-plot that you so fervently wish exists.

10 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

another example of this hypothetical future is Segotari in Cyberpunk, and in both of these retro futuristic scenarios Atari is synonymous with synth/vaporware aesthetics and music

Is it now.  And what does that have to do with actual Atari on Earth 1 in the present?  If someone were to produce an anime set in the 23rd century that has Atari "synonymous" with '70s Hard Rock, what will your response be then?

14 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

(why do  think modern Atari  and it's fans love this  aesthetic so much , maybe they understand something you don't).

https://youtu.be/I9EzJFQKLz0?si=su8kBuqUdqTuZCmQ

I'm not going to take your biased word that Atari and its fans love this aesthetic so much, that's just like uh, your opinion, man.

Besides the title, what does that bland crap have to do with Atari or your position that its fans love this aesthetic so much?

9 minutes ago, ledzep said:

I'd love it if you could provide a link to the production assistant's next-door neighbor's cut of "Blade Runner" that details this sub-plot that you so fervently wish exists.

Is it now.  And what does that have to do with actual Atari on Earth 1 in the present?  If someone were to produce an anime set in the 23rd century that has Atari "synonymous" with '70s Hard Rock, what will your response be then?

I'm not going to take your biased word that Atari and its fans love this aesthetic so much, that's just like uh, your opinion, man.

Besides the title, what does that bland crap have to do with Atari or your position that its fans love this aesthetic so much?

9 minutes ago, ledzep said:

How  can you not understand how this type of music appeal's to Atari fans, remember how most old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space, maybe after hearing this you'll finally get it

6 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

So Atari is damned if they do and damned if they don't, they had cool new features to make these games more enjoyable for more modern/mainstream audience's and you'll shit on them because they destroyed the "purity" of the originals, but then you will also shit on them for allowing you to deactivate the power ups so that you can enjoy a more classy experience

Aaah, the complaining of the perpetually unsatisfied.  "Cool new features" to some, yes, but not others.  You assume these new features actually succeed in making these games more enjoyable for more modern/mainstream audiences (goddammit, if you want plural, add just the s/es, leave out the apostrophe).  Maybe they do, but I have seen any definitive conclusion there.

I'm not shitting on them for allowing the deactivation of some of the stupid shit, I'm asking you what's the point of even allowing deactivating it if the stupid shit is so clearly better?  What I'm shitting on is that you can't deactivate all the stupid shit.  I wouldn't bother with deactivating the stupid shit, I'd play the original version instead.  With the correct controls.  And real music that doesn't try to put me in a coma.

11 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

maybe the problem here is actually you and not the game's my  Boomer friend.

Took you long enough, have to save that Boomer power-up for when you could score the most points, hahaaha.  There's no problem, I'm just explaining why the recharged versions aren't worth my time (since that's the point of this thread) a concept which seems beyond your limited grasp.

I'm also asking what was wrong with the original versions that cartoony graphics, big/bright explosions and shitty music fix?  I haven't gotten an answer to that one and posting more links to bland music isn't a substitute.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Aaah, the complaining of the perpetually unsatisfied.  "Cool new features" to some, yes, but not others.  You assume these new features actually succeed in making these games more enjoyable for more modern/mainstream audiences (goddammit, if you want plural, add just the s/es, leave out the apostrophe).  Maybe they do, but I have seen any definitive conclusion there.

I'm not shitting on them for allowing the deactivation of some of the stupid shit, I'm asking you what's the point of even allowing deactivating it if the stupid shit is so clearly better?  What I'm shitting on is that you can't deactivate all the stupid shit.  I wouldn't bother with deactivating the stupid shit, I'd play the original version instead.  With the correct controls.  And real music that doesn't try to put me in a coma.

Took you long enough, have to save that Boomer power-up for when you could score the most points, hahaaha.  There's no problem, I'm just explaining why the recharged versions aren't worth my time (since that's the point of this thread) a concept which seems beyond your limited grasp.

I'm also asking what was wrong with the original versions that cartoony graphics, big/bright explosions and shitty music fix?  I haven't gotten an answer to that one and posting more links to bland music isn't a substitute.

There is nothing wrong with the originals, they fit the era they we're created in, the recharged games represent the future of Atari , improving these classic's in many ways utilizing modern technology, introducing power ups, cool music and vibes etc, if you prefer the classic feel of the  originals that's perfectly fine, but I'm telling you now when I introduced some of my  fellow zoomer friends to these games they enjoyed playing the recharged games in co op mode with me, but when I tried to introduce them to the original arcade and 2600 version's they laughed they're asses of, they didn't take those crappy ( in they're words ) games seriously, I don't know what else to tell you , times have changed and Atari has to evolve in order to survive in this modern hyper competitive gaming industry .

3 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

How  can you not understand how this type of music appeal's to Atari fans, remember how most old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space, maybe after hearing this you'll finally get it

Assuming this isn't your first attempt at unassisted trolling and childishly wasting time, are you sure that link isn't the same shit you linked to before but with different graphics?  Because it sounds 100% the same.

Who cares if it appeals to some Atari fans (don't overgeneralize, man, many Atari fans think that "music" is crap), what does that have to do with the games themselves?

Ok, explain yourself.  Which old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space?  Yes, some were set in space, but you seem to have attached a narrative to many games that simply never existed.  Maybe you got fooled by the artwork.

What endless possibilities of space are in landing on the Moon and not crashing over and over and over again?  Shooting apart endless waves of asteroids?  Blasting waves of insects?  Sorry, that's not space, that's just the backyard.  Atari Basketball, Football?  Not space.  Black Widow?  No space, sorry.  Hard Drivin'?  Nope.  Indy 800, Sprint?  Hahaha, no.  Canyon Bomber?  Night Driver?  Pong?  Ain't no endless possibilities of space there.  Red Baron?  Hahaha, that's WWI.  Sky Diver?  No.  Missile Command?  No.  Jet Fighter?  Gauntlet?  Food Fight?  Surely, Fire Truck, but no.  Neither Dominos nor Destroyer.  Warlords, no, that's medieval.  Video Pinball, no.  Tank, Ultra Tank, no.  Stunt Cycle?  Steeplechase?  Pool Shark?  Hell no.  I hope you see how off you are with this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_arcade_games

Major Havoc?  Ok, that's a candidate.  Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.  Space Duel, ok.  Gravitar.  Battlezone, possibly.  Tempest, my favorite, that works.  Starship 1.  If you're being generous, maybe I, Robot, a few others.  But some games, though set in space, offer no endless possibilities, they're just shooters or platformers in space.  Space Race, no endless possibilities, just a race with spaceship shapes.

Even if you expand into Atari home video games, Maze Craze?  No.  Adventure, hahaha, no way.  Backgammon?  Golf?  Probably just Star Raiders and Stellar Track.

But I'm sure there's a link to an hour of bland computer-generated music that supports your premise, probably more than one?

25 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

There is nothing wrong with the originals, they fit the era they we're created in, the recharged games represent the future of Atari , improving these classic's in many ways utilizing modern technology, introducing power ups, cool music and vibes etc, if you prefer the classic feel of the  originals that's perfectly fine, but I'm telling you now when I introduced some of my  fellow zoomer friends to these games they enjoyed playing the recharged games in co op mode with me, but when I tried to introduce them to the original arcade and 2600 version's they laughed they're asses of, they didn't take those crappy ( in they're words ) games seriously, I don't know what else to tell you , times have changed and Atari has to evolve in order to survive in this modern hyper competitive gaming industry .

Oh, I'm not including co-op in my list of stupid shit, that is a cool extra that the originals never had.  For obvious tech of the time reasons.

Oh no, some zoomers don't like the original versions.  Time for everyone to change to the new versions!  No thanks.  I'm not against recent/modern games if they're good, but cartoony graphics, big/bright explosions, shaking views and shitty music don't make games good.  Gameplay makes them good, if the extras don't add to that, they're just bloat.  If the extras detract from that, they suck and should be removed.

So, out of curiosity, what arcade did you take your friends to to introduce them to the original versions?  Did it have a lot of the older games or just a few?  I hope they weren't those crappy 60-in-1 cabs.

10 hours ago, ledzep said:

I guess that's true if you can't stand Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, Big Band, Blues and/or Jazz Fusion?

It's true, then. 🙂 (well, there are a few Progressive Rock tracks I like, but not many)

To be totally honest, I don't listen to a lot of American made music to begin with.

Now I'll let you with your new friend who will make you listen to synthwave until you like it! 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, roots.genoa said:

It's true, then. 🙂 (well, there are a few Progressive Rock tracks I like, but not many)

To be totally honest, I don't listen to a lot of American made music to begin with.

Now I'll let you with your new friend who will make you listen to synthwave until you like it! 😉

I was going to say that I don't listen to only American made music, but I guess the only "foreign" stuff I listen to is probably U.K. based, hahaha, so not much of a difference.  I do like Loudness, a Japanese metal band?  Hahaha, probably not really different, either.  Man, you must hate (I assume in your region) popular movies and TV shows that are sourced from here (or other English speaking countries) that include "American" style music, whatever the genre.

So I'm curious, none of the genres I listed you listen to, even occasionally?  Interesting, I don't think I've ever talked to someone who doesn't listen to any of them (including the soundtrack, Soul and Funk genres I also mentioned) before.  That would be hilarious to see the almost non-existent overlap of the Venn diagram of the bands we each listen to.  Like an infinity symbol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Maybe you would like some to 😂

9 hours ago, ledzep said:

So, out of curiosity, what arcade did you take your friends to to introduce them to the original versions?  Did it have a lot of the older games or just a few?  I hope they weren't those crappy 60-in-1 cabs.

There are no arcade's in the place where I live ( not anymore, they've been extinct since the early 2000s and even then those arcades never had Atari games, only Sega, SNK and Namco games ), I introduced my friends to Atari's classics thanks to the flashback collection's (vol 1 up to 3) and the Atari 50 collection  that I bought for my PS5.

9 hours ago, ledzep said:

But I'm sure there's a link to an hour of bland computer-generated music that supports your premise, probably more than one?

My friend all you needed to do was ask

https://youtu.be/9xh9IpjpTFk?si=jM9VL21CtnR0PPhD

https://youtu.be/_yhEjzjh2Ns?si=7tVLWXODJkA4ieiY

https://youtu.be/PGCEc6j9fRo?si=uO7D5g9gu-_L7YV2

2 hours ago, ledzep said:

So I'm curious, none of the genres I listed you listen to, even occasionally?  Interesting, I don't think I've ever talked to someone who doesn't listen to any of them (including the soundtrack, Soul and Funk genres I also mentioned) before.  That would be hilarious to see the almost non-existent overlap of the Venn diagram of the bands we each listen to.  Like an infinity symbol.

I listen to film soundtracks. Actually, there was a time (late 90s) I was only listening to film soundtracks because I couldn't find (pop) music I liked. The closest thing to your kind of music I may listen to is British rock, but that's not necessarily my favorite. My tastes are very specific anyway; most of what I listened to sounds similar (especially to other people I guess).

I've said it before and say it again; no art is more subjective than music.

• Like 5

Complain complain complain complain complain.

The recharged games are meant to be modern reimagined versions of the originals to which Atari knocked it out of the park. If you dont like them, dont play them.

While not perfect (nothing is in life), Atari is doing the best they can (and overall a good job) over the past few years to reinvigorate their product. Compare Atari today to Atari in 2019, 2020. Yes there will be hits and misses, but step back and take a look at the overall trajectory in the last few years.

Just tired of people complaining for complaining's sake. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1