IGNORED

Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version's ?

JPF997

On 9/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, ledzep said:

Damn straight that isn't exactly a source.  That game isn't reality.  What actual culture, not a fictional in-game culture, was impacted by that neon sign in "Blade Runner"?  Please back up one of your grandiose overreaching statements with some facts this time.  And I don't mean the rules books from the RPG (which I played long ago and never referenced Atari).

Late response but Cyberpunk isn't just a little game, it's impacted real world culture, cyberpunk 2077  which is a direct sequel to the original tabletop game has sold over 20 million units and a new expansion is about to release , one thing I think would really help Atari become relevant with more mainstream audience's again is for them to strike a deal with CD Project Red and put some of the recharged games in the game, especially if they put them inside arcade machines in a Segotari arcade center.

Cyberpunk 2077 is obviously a huge success, but it was a very expensive game to develop, costing upwards of $300 million.

In contrast, Atari's annual R&D spend across all their projects - as can be gleaned from their annual reports - is about one percent of that. They're a tiny indie game publisher with an old brand that used to be a big deal. Please try not to mistake them for anything else.

3 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I dare any of you to try and  say something bad about this beauty, the music, the video,  it's pure  perfection 

That sounds just like the soulless crap you posted previously.  How do even know which specific cloned tracks you're listening to?  It's not even a good rip-off of the original type of music.  What these no-talents are reaching for is some kind of William Orbit result but instead of being creative they just let computers do the "hard work" (not hard at all considering how many tutorial videos there are explaining how easy it is to flood the Internet with this monotonous, repetitive shit).  Wouldn't dare soil their hands playing real instruments, that's not Future!

Are you zoomers religiously against the green side of the color palette?  i can't tell what's more repetitive, the synth elevator music or the endless pink/lavender stripclub beach/cityscapes.

A couple co-workers of mine back in the '90s liked to play this guy's stuff inbetween Rock or other CDs (our room had a little shelf stereo).  Not bad as background music -

Probably too much variety for you and your zoomer friends, though.  Not one of those co-workers who listened to it connected this style of music to Atari, either, and that's back when Atari was still fresh in people's minds.  Why can't zoomers get anything right?  Why do they prefer remixes and cheap copies of the originals?  They prefer computer-generated approximations of talent, not actual talent.

Late response but Cyberpunk isn't just a little game, it's impacted real world culture, cyberpunk 2077  which is a direct sequel to the original tabletop game has sold over 20 million units and a new expansion is about to release ,

Ok, prove that.  Right now.  Show how this game has impacted real world culture.  Links to something reputable.  I'm betting you can't because it's just your feeling and after avoiding substantiating this claim you will once again pretend to realize we've all gone "massively off topic in regards to the original subject" and play dumb.

You just saying it's true doesn't make it true.  You and your zoomer friends being impacted doesn't equate to "real world culture" being impacted.  Recognize that probably over 90% of the people you could ask (not just your insulated friends) would have no fucking idea what Cyberpunk is (nor what it has to do with Atari) but I bet you a follow-up question asking the same people about Dungeons & Dragons would get way more of them being able to identify that game and its impact on real world culture.

one thing I think would really help Atari become relevant with more mainstream audience's again is for them to strike a deal with CD Project Red and put some of the recharged games in the game, especially if they put them inside arcade machines in a Segotari arcade center.

You mean CD Projekt Red?  Come on, man, a true fan would never misspell their name.  Maybe you like Ateri or Siga more?  Even the Wikipedia page says that CD Projekt Red is best known for The Witcher series, not Cyberpunk.  So much for real world culture being impacted.

That is the first non-completely ridiculous idea you've put forward.  Don't know how well it could work but I would hope that the punishment for any player wasting time playing one of those recharged clownshows instead of moving forward within the real game is that some NPC would shoot the distracted player in the face or beat him senseless.  Second offense would mean complete reset to the start of the game, really drive the point home not to waste time in this arcade, there's an actual game you're ignoring!!

On the other hand, if I were programming the game I would include one of the arcade original versions in maybe a different location (convenience store?) and, if the player had the correct controller connected to his PC/console and played the game decent (get to an extra life at least), secret power-ups or unlocked weapons or something would become available.  Oh, imagine the struggles of the zoomers playing being completely incapable of handling original Missile Command or Centipede without loads of power-ups or a gamepad, hahaaha.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JPF997 said:

I dare any of you to try and  say something bad about this beauty, the music, the video,  it's pure  perfection 

I found it to be very boring and derivative- same with the video. Look, it’s obvious you like this stuff but, again, feelings aren’t facts. I’m super into Atmospheric Black Metal. You know how many folks I push it on? Zero.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Throwing it out there...I'm not sure why given you asked for opinions on Recharged games etc., and then got mad if they didn't match your own,  but maybe if instead of saying "Try to say something bad about this..." (BTW did you really think @ledzep would find that some kind of challenge?...I can see it now,  "Oh,  Now I LOVE THAT!  How come you didn't show me that before?  You  were COMPLETELY RIGHT all along!  I've been a silly old goose,  can you ever forgive me?  Keep the video and song recommendations coming!  I've got a lot of catching up to do!" )  Maybe if instead,  you had said,  I see Atari This Way, (and you insert your opinion) and say how you like this song and it reminds you of the Futuristic Dream that you equate New Atari with... Maybe if you did that more often...And also realize,  unless something's drastically changed, we are dealing with OPINIONS here.  Ya see, having a Universally agreed with opinion,  is Very Hard to do.  And why would you want to?  Wouldn't you rather that everyone has their own opinion and only a few will line up with yours?  Differing thoughts make the world go 'round!  Would you really want a world where everybody thinks the same? (Wasn't that the key thing that made you hate The Borg?  That they were an affront to individuality and Free Will...and different opinions?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Like I said earlier, but you apparently ignored it (like my advice about avoiding creating topics for now), there's nothing more subjective than music. When you love a song, you obviously want the whole world to listen to it, but when people (even friends) do, they will often have a disgusted or embarrassed look on their face - believe me, it happened to me countless times. For instance I think the Aline song I shared earlier in this topic is almost perfect as well, but you didn't seem to love it since you didn't take the time to say it's the best thing ever. 😉

Now STOP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Maybe if instead,  you had said,  I see Atari This Way, (and you insert your opinion) and say how you like this song and it reminds you of the Futuristic Dream that you equate New Atari with... 

I've been trying to do something like that but everytime I say anything I get three responses demanding I provide evidence to what I just said, it's starting to feel  more like we're in an interrogation room instead of a game forum, hell at the beginning of this thread ledzep  even demanded I provide evidence to back up my opinion that Atari and space are deeply connected, when I provided the evidence  he  then moved the goal post and started saying the evidence wasn't good  enough.

This thread can be divided more or less into three acts so far:

1- Debating the quality of the recharged series.

2- Debating whether or not Atari has a deep connection to space and the space age.

3- Debating whether or not Atari and it's games go together well with synthwave aesthetics and music ( which later turned into a synthwave bashing section courtesy of our good friend ledzep ).

59 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

there's nothing more subjective than music.

Tell our friend ledzep that next time he goes on a rant over the recharged games, remind him that this is all ultimately subjective next time he starts claiming the games suck because of they're  supposed "shitty" music, power ups and aesthetics.

37 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

I've been trying to do something like that but everytime I say anything I get three responses demanding I provide evidence to what I just said, it's starting to feel  more like we're in an interrogation room instead of a game forum, hell at the beginning of this thread ledzep  even demanded I provide evidence to back up my opinion that Atari and space are deeply connected, when I provided the evidence  he  then moved the goal post and started saying the evidence wasn't good  enough.

You're the one moving the goalposts.  You make definitive statements about Atari or gaming or whatever and then get butthurt when people disagree.  It's one thing to say "To me, this is the perfect form of blah blah blah", that's a statement that applies only to you.  We all do that, certainly I do, you can go down the road of explaining why you feel that way, or not.  It's quite another thing to say "This is the perfect form of blah blah blah", like it's universal or indisputable.  When you say something like that, you need to back it up (or get lit up in responses).  You never back it up.  Never, you don't even try, you just complain and say it's so obvious.  That's not proof, that's not even weak evidence.  Also, when you make some definitive statement about something in reality and then attempt to support that statement with references to fictional movies or RPGs you sound like a clown.  Those arguments might work with your zoomer friends (you guys disregard everything that happened before you were born), they won't hold up for a second with someone old enough to be familiar with the stuff you've only heard of from the Internet.

If you can make grandiose statements about games or genres or whatever, so can everyone else.  You think you're right, someone else thinks you're wrong.  That's how it goes.

I have occasionally asked you specific questions (to try to understand why, on this subject, you like the recharged versions so much better) and you never give an answer to the question.  Of course, who am I, I'm not entitled to an answer from you, but you started this thread and asked questions, you should also answer questions asked of you.  Maybe you thought they were rhetorical, but they weren't.  For example, I'll ask again -

To look at it from the other direction, did you ever play a game in the arcade, a game you really liked, and think "Man, I wish this game had monotonous, pounding, repetitive music blaring constantly, that would make it so much better." or "Why can't the whole play field be sliding around when I'm moving my controller?" or "This is no fun, I have the same weapons that I started with, I need miniguns spraying 80% of the area in front of me in a fan pattern and grenades lobbed into the other areas!"?

That's not a difficult question to answer (though now I understand that you never played them in the arcade so you've only seen the PS versions, but the question still mostly applies).  Which of course you didn't but instead responded with this -

Everyone is of course entitled to they're opinion but I must say not a single thing you've stated comes even remotely close to the truth. The recharged games are the perfect evolution/modernization of these classic's, the way I would describe it is that the old version's are the equivalent of an 80s classic song while the recharged version's are the synthwave remix, the perfect evolution .

which started this thread down the road you are now whinging about.  If someone asks you a question or wants more elaboration about something you said, don't change the subject, don't ignore it, just answer it.  It should be easy because who knows better what you like (or don't) than you, and why?  I've explained why I prefer the original arcade versions of these recharged games (1st page of this thread) so it's easy for you to read it and see where my point of view is coming from.  Agree or disagree, but there's no mystery to why I much prefer the originals, same as there's no mystery to what annoys the shit out of me with the recharged games because I've made that clear, too.  I didn't give vague "Because they're better/perfect!" answers that don't actually explain anything.

Another of your fanciful statements -

Some people might scoff at this but that neon sign of the Atari logo in the original Blade runner changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, it ended up inspiring the company itself , you see this especially during the blade runner 2049 collaboration, getting the Fuji logo to appear once more for the sequel was a moment of great pride for both the producers of the film and Atari itself.

No evidence to back that up, just your own feelings about the presence of that logo in the movie and extrapolating that into the claim that it changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, hahaahahaaha.

Of course I asked you a question about backing that up that crazy statement -

What actual culture, not a fictional in-game culture, was impacted by that neon sign in "Blade Runner"?

Ignored that one, too (except to claim that Cyberpunk isn't just a little game something something sold millions of units like that's proof it impacted real world culture).  How could you not, there's nothing to support it, of course.  Yet you still keep making those claims.

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

This thread can be divided more or less into three acts so far:

1- Debating the quality of the recharged series.

When was anybody debating the quality of the recharged series?  Most of us were discussing which we preferred, and why.  The quality is separate.  The programming seems slick and there was obvious effort put into them, the designs have a look to them, everything seems to work correctly and smoothly.  So what.  I mean, they better be good quality with the money spent and the state of modern computers and graphics.

I've asked, in general, what is the advantage of having the extra shit added to these original games?  Not whether you or anyone else likes that extra shit or not, that's subjective.  My view is that if the original games weren't needing them or lacking them, then the extra shit is pointless bloat, like putting a body kit and rear spoiler on a VW Bug.  On the other hand, if Missile Command or Asteroids or some other arcade original had a commonly agreed-upon flaw or missing element that prevented it from being a great game and the recharged version finally, mercifully addressed, then yay recharged version.  But nobody, including you, can point to what aspects are missing from the arcade originals.  You've never even played the arcade versions so what would you know about what they might lack?  I feel that they lacked nothing, therefore the recharged games add nothing useful.  I'm sure there are people who were underwhelmed by some of the arcade games that many people think are fantastic, to each his own.  But through the entirety of this thread nobody has explained what all the arcade originals where actually missing that the recharged versions provided.  The closest that makes sense is remote co-op, but that's a novelty, not a necessity, gameplay (the most important element) is unaffected.

So, do you feel like explaining what the arcade originals don't have that they should have, and that the recharged games provide?  I'm betting not.  Or, to put it another way, another question you never answered -

I'm also asking what was wrong with the original versions that cartoony graphics, big/bright explosions and shitty music fix?  I haven't gotten an answer to that one and posting more links to bland music isn't a substitute.

Not much of a debate if you refuse to answer the question and instead post more YouTube links to bland synthwave.  Saying your zoomer friends "laughed they're asses of" isn't an explanation.

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

2- Debating whether or not Atari has a deep connection to space and the space age.

It doesn't.  And that wasn't the question you actually proposed, dammit.  Stop moving the fucking goalposts.  Your actual statement was -

How  can you not understand how this type of music appeal's to Atari fans, remember how most old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space, maybe after hearing this you'll finally get it

Where do you get the idea that most old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space when the Wikipedia link listing the Atari games from that era shows that most of them are not set in space, and most of the few that are don't dream about the endless possibilities of space, they're just set in space?  Maybe a dozen fit your statement.  And again, support your claim that synthwave appeals to Atari fans.  I'm sure some people like synthwave, and some of them are also Atari fans, but that's not what you're claiming.

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

3- Debating whether or not Atari and it's games go together well with synthwave aesthetics and music ( which later turned into a synthwave bashing section courtesy of our good friend ledzep ).

Stop crying, I'm far from the only one who thinks synthwave is shit.

Again, you made a definitive statement -

2) There is nothing more Atari than synthwave, especially if we're talking about the Atari of the future (blade runner), synth/vaporware aesthetics and music fit Atari like a glove, naturally modern Atari understood this and decided to use this artstyle when creating the recharged games, if you don't like it that's a you problem because the vast majority of people who are into Atari love these aesthetics.

and then refused repeated requests to back that up.  Your only attempt was pretending that what happens in the Cyberpunk game supports you claim about synthwave being more Atari than anything else.  You have never come close to showing that the vast majority of people who are into Atari love those aesthetics.  But when someone calls bullshit on that, you cry and change the subject.  Or fall back on something pointless like a neon Atari sign in "Blade Runner" somehow substantiates what you're imagining.

You also made this ridiculous statement -

Synthwave as an artistic movement represents the utopian future that could have been if the 80s had continued indefinitely, naturally it ties itself perfectly with an Atari that never suffered a gaming crash, do you get it now, it's not nostalgia for the Atari that was but the Atari that could have been (the one from blade runner) that's also what modern Atari SA is trying to become inspired by this vision.

like it's True, everyone knows this.  This is just your personal view (and I suppose some like-minded zoomers) and, as usual, you provide nothing to back it up.  Unlike you, jerseystyle actually linked to an explanation to the origins of synthwave (Wikipedia, I assume) and it's not connected to Atari at all.  But of course you didn't let facts get in the way of a good, unsubstantiated overreaching claim.

Or, as jerseystyle so accurately put it -

I no longer have any idea what your point is with this.  I just don’t see why a video game having something called Segtari has anything to do with how Atari has been viewed since the 80s, or is evidence for what you’re saying. If anything, it’s just a nod to two “dead” gaming companies.

And then, after making goofy claim after goofy claim and having nothing to back them up with, you come up with -

Anyways I've just noticed how we've all gone massively off topic in regards to the original subject 😂, so huh does anyone actually have anything to say about the recharged games, do you like the gameplay, music, mechanics etc , and how to you think they stack up to the originals 🤔

Come on, man.

2 hours ago, ledzep said:

You're the one moving the goalposts.  You make definitive statements about Atari or gaming or whatever and then get butthurt when people disagree.  It's one thing to say "To me, this is the perfect form of blah blah blah", that's a statement that applies only to you.  We all do that, certainly I do, you can go down the road of explaining why you feel that way, or not.  It's quite another thing to say "This is the perfect form of blah blah blah", like it's universal or indisputable.  When you say something like that, you need to back it up (or get lit up in responses).  You never back it up.  Never, you don't even try, you just complain and say it's so obvious.  That's not proof, that's not even weak evidence.  Also, when you make some definitive statement about something in reality and then attempt to support that statement with references to fictional movies or RPGs you sound like a clown.  Those arguments might work with your zoomer friends (you guys disregard everything that happened before you were born), they won't hold up for a second with someone old enough to be familiar with the stuff you've only heard of from the Internet.

If you can make grandiose statements about games or genres or whatever, so can everyone else.  You think you're right, someone else thinks you're wrong.  That's how it goes.

I have occasionally asked you specific questions (to try to understand why, on this subject, you like the recharged versions so much better) and you never give an answer to the question.  Of course, who am I, I'm not entitled to an answer from you, but you started this thread and asked questions, you should also answer questions asked of you.  Maybe you thought they were rhetorical, but they weren't.  For example, I'll ask again -

To look at it from the other direction, did you ever play a game in the arcade, a game you really liked, and think "Man, I wish this game had monotonous, pounding, repetitive music blaring constantly, that would make it so much better." or "Why can't the whole play field be sliding around when I'm moving my controller?" or "This is no fun, I have the same weapons that I started with, I need miniguns spraying 80% of the area in front of me in a fan pattern and grenades lobbed into the other areas!"?

That's not a difficult question to answer (though now I understand that you never played them in the arcade so you've only seen the PS versions, but the question still mostly applies).  Which of course you didn't but instead responded with this -

Everyone is of course entitled to they're opinion but I must say not a single thing you've stated comes even remotely close to the truth. The recharged games are the perfect evolution/modernization of these classic's, the way I would describe it is that the old version's are the equivalent of an 80s classic song while the recharged version's are the synthwave remix, the perfect evolution .

which started this thread down the road you are now whinging about.  If someone asks you a question or wants more elaboration about something you said, don't change the subject, don't ignore it, just answer it.  It should be easy because who knows better what you like (or don't) than you, and why?  I've explained why I prefer the original arcade versions of these recharged games (1st page of this thread) so it's easy for you to read it and see where my point of view is coming from.  Agree or disagree, but there's no mystery to why I much prefer the originals, same as there's no mystery to what annoys the shit out of me with the recharged games because I've made that clear, too.  I didn't give vague "Because they're better/perfect!" answers that don't actually explain anything.

Another of your fanciful statements -

Some people might scoff at this but that neon sign of the Atari logo in the original Blade runner changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, it ended up inspiring the company itself , you see this especially during the blade runner 2049 collaboration, getting the Fuji logo to appear once more for the sequel was a moment of great pride for both the producers of the film and Atari itself.

No evidence to back that up, just your own feelings about the presence of that logo in the movie and extrapolating that into the claim that it changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, hahaahahaaha.

Of course I asked you a question about backing that up that crazy statement -

What actual culture, not a fictional in-game culture, was impacted by that neon sign in "Blade Runner"?

Ignored that one, too (except to claim that Cyberpunk isn't just a little game something something sold millions of units like that's proof it impacted real world culture).  How could you not, there's nothing to support it, of course.  Yet you still keep making those claims.

When was anybody debating the quality of the recharged series?  Most of us were discussing which we preferred, and why.  The quality is separate.  The programming seems slick and there was obvious effort put into them, the designs have a look to them, everything seems to work correctly and smoothly.  So what.  I mean, they better be good quality with the money spent and the state of modern computers and graphics.

I've asked, in general, what is the advantage of having the extra shit added to these original games?  Not whether you or anyone else likes that extra shit or not, that's subjective.  My view is that if the original games weren't needing them or lacking them, then the extra shit is pointless bloat, like putting a body kit and rear spoiler on a VW Bug.  On the other hand, if Missile Command or Asteroids or some other arcade original had a commonly agreed-upon flaw or missing element that prevented it from being a great game and the recharged version finally, mercifully addressed, then yay recharged version.  But nobody, including you, can point to what aspects are missing from the arcade originals.  You've never even played the arcade versions so what would you know about what they might lack?  I feel that they lacked nothing, therefore the recharged games add nothing useful.  I'm sure there are people who were underwhelmed by some of the arcade games that many people think are fantastic, to each his own.  But through the entirety of this thread nobody has explained what all the arcade originals where actually missing that the recharged versions provided.  The closest that makes sense is remote co-op, but that's a novelty, not a necessity, gameplay (the most important element) is unaffected.

So, do you feel like explaining what the arcade originals don't have that they should have, and that the recharged games provide?  I'm betting not.  Or, to put it another way, another question you never answered -

I'm also asking what was wrong with the original versions that cartoony graphics, big/bright explosions and shitty music fix?  I haven't gotten an answer to that one and posting more links to bland music isn't a substitute.

Not much of a debate if you refuse to answer the question and instead post more YouTube links to bland synthwave.  Saying your zoomer friends "laughed they're asses of" isn't an explanation.

It doesn't.  And that wasn't the question you actually proposed, dammit.  Stop moving the fucking goalposts.  Your actual statement was -

How  can you not understand how this type of music appeal's to Atari fans, remember how most old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space, maybe after hearing this you'll finally get it

Where do you get the idea that most old Atari games dreamed about the endless possibilities of space when the Wikipedia link listing the Atari games from that era shows that most of them are not set in space, and most of the few that are don't dream about the endless possibilities of space, they're just set in space?  Maybe a dozen fit your statement.  And again, support your claim that synthwave appeals to Atari fans.  I'm sure some people like synthwave, and some of them are also Atari fans, but that's not what you're claiming.

Stop crying, I'm far from the only one who thinks synthwave is shit.

Again, you made a definitive statement -

2) There is nothing more Atari than synthwave, especially if we're talking about the Atari of the future (blade runner), synth/vaporware aesthetics and music fit Atari like a glove, naturally modern Atari understood this and decided to use this artstyle when creating the recharged games, if you don't like it that's a you problem because the vast majority of people who are into Atari love these aesthetics.

and then refused repeated requests to back that up.  Your only attempt was pretending that what happens in the Cyberpunk game supports you claim about synthwave being more Atari than anything else.  You have never come close to showing that the vast majority of people who are into Atari love those aesthetics.  But when someone calls bullshit on that, you cry and change the subject.  Or fall back on something pointless like a neon Atari sign in "Blade Runner" somehow substantiates what you're imagining.

You also made this ridiculous statement -

Synthwave as an artistic movement represents the utopian future that could have been if the 80s had continued indefinitely, naturally it ties itself perfectly with an Atari that never suffered a gaming crash, do you get it now, it's not nostalgia for the Atari that was but the Atari that could have been (the one from blade runner) that's also what modern Atari SA is trying to become inspired by this vision.

like it's True, everyone knows this.  This is just your personal view (and I suppose some like-minded zoomers) and, as usual, you provide nothing to back it up.  Unlike you, jerseystyle actually linked to an explanation to the origins of synthwave (Wikipedia, I assume) and it's not connected to Atari at all.  But of course you didn't let facts get in the way of a good, unsubstantiated overreaching claim.

Or, as jerseystyle so accurately put it -

I no longer have any idea what your point is with this.  I just don’t see why a video game having something called Segtari has anything to do with how Atari has been viewed since the 80s, or is evidence for what you’re saying. If anything, it’s just a nod to two “dead” gaming companies.

And then, after making goofy claim after goofy claim and having nothing to back them up with, you come up with -

Anyways I've just noticed how we've all gone massively off topic in regards to the original subject 😂, so huh does anyone actually have anything to say about the recharged games, do you like the gameplay, music, mechanics etc , and how to you think they stack up to the originals 🤔

Come on, man.

If I answered all of your questions as best  I could  honestly and in good faith would you actually consider changing your stance on any of the things we've   talked about, we both know the answer to that but guess I'll try anyway. I already told you I never played on an original Atari arcade machine, those machines were nowhere to be found when I was growing up and I bet most people of my generation don't even know they existed, my exposure to Atari came originally from playing a lot of they're games on the PS2 during the early 2000s  (in other words I have nostalgia for the modern version of the company, Atari SA, which many purists around here don't even consider to be a legitimate sucessor to the original company), later on in the 2010s  I started becoming more interested in gamings history and culture in general, I started growing an appreciation for the gaming classics of the 70s and the early 80s which Atari was at the center of. The original games have pretty much no flaw's to them, that doesn't mean the recharged games don't have a right to exist, they cater to a new younger audience that wants a bit more umpf to they're gaming experience instead of the  more simple/raw experience of the original arcade games, each version has it's place and intended audience, just like  the original resident 4 and the remake are both great games that can coexist next to each other . One last thing before I forget, a games success can indeed impact the wider culture, especially gamer culture which is what we are primarily concerned with, GTA 5 for example is more successful  than any movie Hollywood has ever produced in it's entire existence. Cyberpunk 2077 isn't on that level yet but it's already become one the most successful games of all time even with the rocky launch back in 2020, not to mention the anime adaptation which took the top stop on  Netflix during the period it was airing, you think that didn't have an impact on culture? Atari being referenced at all in a mainstream product like this ( in the form of Segotari in this case) is already a big win as it keeps the brand alive in the public conscious, same thing with the Blade runner neo signs, these subtle references and sponsorships make sure the brand is not forgotten by  younger generations, without them the brand will not survive into the future and I'm glad the current administration ( especially the new CEO Wade Rosen ) understands this very well.

Like I’ve mentioned before, I find Synthwave to be very boring and repetitive. I find stuff like that works best when mixed with other musical forms like I shared with y’all (abstract void link from earlier). The closest that I’ve found that I’m into is probably Tycho- but again his grounding in using some actual instruments makes it more connectable to me. Example:

What’s weird though, JPF997, is you keep saying you want conversation but don’t actually engage. People have posted other musical forms on here they think fit better (or just shared examples of preferences for music and/or gameplay) and you’ve ignored all of that. Instead you just keep on with throwing objective statements at everyone.  For example, my Abstract Void link that you didn’t comment on. That’s a combination of Black Metal and Synthwave which is fairly unique. I prefer it to all of your examples because, to me, the lack of a “human” element makes that stuff pointless. Your thoughts on that? 

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Like I’ve mentioned before, I find Synthwave to be very boring and repetitive. I find stuff like that works best when mixed with other musical forms like I shared with y’all (abstract void link from earlier). The closest that I’ve found that I’m into is probably Tycho- but again his grounding in using some actual instruments makes it more connectable to me. Example:

What’s weird though, JPF997, is you keep saying you want conversation but don’t actually engage. People have posted other musical forms on here they think fit better (or just shared examples of preferences for music and/or gameplay) and you’ve ignored all of that. Instead you just keep on with throwing objective statements at everyone.  For example, my Abstract Void link that you didn’t comment on. That’s a combination of Black Metal and Synthwave which is fairly unique. I prefer it to all of your examples because, to me, the lack of a “human” element makes that stuff pointless. Your thoughts on that? 

Sorry I didn't respond earlier,  I was so focused on responding to ledpez that I wasn't paying as much attention to what other people where posting, and yeah that song is great, I'm a fan of most genre's of synthetic and electronic music so that type of music is  right up my alley.

14 hours ago, ledzep said:

Probably too much variety for you and your zoomer friends, though.  Not one of those co-workers who listened to it connected this style of music to Atari, either, and that's back when Atari was still fresh in people's minds.  Why can't zoomers get anything right?  Why do they prefer remixes and cheap copies of the originals?  They prefer computer-generated approximations of talent, not actual talent.

I don't even like synthwave but this is a stupid escalation with the most broad attacks on young people. You know the people who make these games and synthwave aren't zoomers, right? The 80s revival stuff began in the 2000s. Cherrypicking one random guy from an argument on a forum about a niche genre of music and deciding "this is what is wrong with all young people" is just setting you up for a very bitter few years.

4 hours ago, JPF997 said:

If I answered all of your questions as best  I could  honestly and in good faith would you actually consider changing your stance on any of the things we've   talked about, we both know the answer to that but guess I'll try anyway.

Look they just don't seem to like it, fair or not I don't think a forum argument will change that. Doesn't mean you can't like synthwave or the Recharged games. I learned the hard way that looking for validation on this sort of thing is a fool's errand.

• Like 4

The other lesson* here is not to state your opinion like it's a fact.  If you do someone will want to see proof.  I would guess that they are not so much demanding actual proof as wanting you to know the difference.

PS:  Kind of curious what country you're from, if you want to say...

*(Aside from everyone should look up "There", "Their" and "They're" and know the difference) :)

• Like 7

1 minute ago, GoldLeader said:

The other lesson* here is not to state your opinion like it's a fact.  If you do someone will want to see proof.  I would guess that they are not so much demanding actual proof as wanting you to know the difference.

PS:  Kind of curious what country you're from, if you want to say...

*(Aside from everyone should look up "There", "Their" and "They're" and know the difference) :)

Given I'm still new to the forum I'm a bit hesitant to share private information, I can say I'm not from an Anglo country, I learned how to speak English thanks to the videos games I played and the movie's I watched as a kid, since these products rarely came with subtitles it quickly became necessary to learn the language in order to fully enjoy them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Except for some grammatical errors (that annoy some people I know), I think you're quite articulate. I don't think I would have been able to express myself as well at your age. Actually, even a few years ago it took me half an hour to create a short post here. I really improved the past few years thanks to AtariAge and Discord.

(also I think I know where you're from, but I won't tell 🤫)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GraffitiTavern said:

I don't even like synthwave but this is a stupid escalation with the most broad attacks on young people. You know the people who make these games and synthwave aren't zoomers, right? The 80s revival stuff began in the 2000s. Cherrypicking one random guy from an argument on a forum about a niche genre of music and deciding "this is what is wrong with all young people" is just setting you up for a very bitter few years.

I never said that the people who make these games and synthwave were zoomers.  I was talking about their preference for cheap copies vs. the better originals, in games and music and apparently most everything else (synthwave being a weak copy of that William Orbit style of music).  It was also a dig at JPF997's "my zoomer friends" comment, like because he and a few of his zoomer friends laugh at the arcade originals (which they've technically never actually played) that that counts for something in the bigger Original vs. Recharged discussion.  It doesn't.  I've worked with quite a few millennials and zoomers, that is a common outlook they have about most things.  Not all of them, of course, but the stereotype is well-founded and easily encountered.

1 minute ago, ledzep said:

I never said that the people who make these games and synthwave were zoomers.  I was talking about their preference for cheap copies vs. the better originals, in games and music and apparently most everything else (synthwave being a weak copy of that William Orbit style of music).  It was also a dig at JPF997's "my zoomer friends" comment, like because he and a few of his zoomer friends laugh at the arcade originals (which they've technically never actually played) that that counts for something in the bigger Original vs. Recharged discussion.  It doesn't.  I've worked with quite a few millennials and zoomers, that is a common outlook they have about most things.  Not all of them, of course, but the stereotype is well-founded and easily encountered.

Hey now my friends may have had a good laugh at the expense of those old games but I didn't, I have a great  respect for them and there creators. A bit off topic but at one point when I was younger I may have laughed watching AVGNs videos on the 5200, the Jaguar and Atari sport's but now that I'm older I understand that James's pro  Nintendo bias and fanboysm made him unreasonably harsh on Atari products in general, I've discussed this topic in another thread I've created so if anyone is interested in sharing there thoughts feel free to go post there.

10 hours ago, JPF997 said:

If I answered all of your questions as best  I could  honestly and in good faith would you actually consider changing your stance on any of the things we've   talked about, we both know the answer to that but guess I'll try anyway. I already told you I never played on an original Atari arcade machine, those machines were nowhere to be found when I was growing up and I bet most people of my generation don't even know they existed, my exposure to Atari came originally from playing a lot of they're games on the PS2 during the early 2000s  (in other words I have nostalgia for the modern version of the company, Atari SA, which many purists around here don't even consider to be a legitimate sucessor to the original company), later on in the 2010s  I started becoming more interested in gamings history and culture in general, I started growing an appreciation for the gaming classics of the 70s and the early 80s which Atari was at the center of.

If you actually answered the questions, maybe.  But instead you act like you were asked a different question and you answer that imagined one instead.  Like here, just now.  I appreciate the background on your life, but that was never asked of you.

So, this time, go ahead, walk through the list of unanswered questions I posted earlier, answer a few of them.  Don't add shit that wasn't included in the question, just answer what was asked.  For example, if someone asks you how tall you are, tell him how tall you are, don't go off on some tangent about food or where you grew up or talk about how height is viewed differently by zoomers or how it's handled in a video game, get it?  It makes the discussion drag on way longer.

The original games have pretty much no flaw's to them, that doesn't mean the recharged games don't have a right to exist, they cater to a new younger audience that wants a bit more umpf to they're gaming experience instead of the  more simple/raw experience of the original arcade games, each version has it's place and intended audience, just like  the original resident 4 and the remake are both great games that can coexist next to each other .

Never said the recharged games don't have a right to exist, that's you hearing something that nobody said yet again.  Moving the goalposts.

The original games can't be both pretty much flawless yet also so bad you and your zoomer friends laugh your asses off when you see them and won't even consider playing them after 5 minutes.  What is "umpf" in this video game context?  I mean compared to the originals.  I'm sure you won't, but be specific.

One last thing before I forget, a games success can indeed impact the wider culture, especially gamer culture which is what we are primarily concerned with, GTA 5 for example is more successful  than any movie Hollywood has ever produced in it's entire existence.

Gamer culture isn't a wider culture, it's the same culture the game is in, you were making grandiose claims about Atari affecting everything forever because a neon logo appeared in a movie that didn't even do that well when it came out, along with claiming that "music" with zero connection to Atari was somehow what all Atari fans loved.  Or something, go back to what I listed out above and answer those specifics if you can/dare.

Cyberpunk 2077 isn't on that level yet but it's already become one the most successful games of all time even with the rocky launch back in 2020, not to mention the anime adaptation which took the top stop on  Netflix during the period it was airing, you think that didn't have an impact on culture?

Yes, I think that didn't have an impact on culture because nobody I've ever talked to about games or movies or TV has ever mentioned that show.  So what if an anime series did well on Netflix.  Not everyone watches Netflix, those who do watch Netflix aren't all anime or gaming fans, your feelings aren't facts or data.  This has been asked of you repeatedly, do you have any evidence to back up your newest imagined claim that because Cyberpunk 2077 did well as an anime adaptation on Netflix that that impacted a wider culture?!  I will put all my money on 'No'.

11 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Atari being referenced at all in a mainstream product like this ( in the form of Segotari in this case) is already a big win as it keeps the brand alive in the public conscious,

What "public conscious"?  You think everybody is playing that fucking game?!?  Atari's appearance in that game might keep the brand alive in the gaming consciousness, ok, but that's not everyday society, not even close.  That doesn't even apply to gamers who don't play Ciberpunk.

Hold on, do you think everybody does what you and your zoomer friends do, that if you are aware of something that automatically means that so is everyone else?  If you think something is cool that means everyone also thinks it's cool?  Seriously?  You are not the center of the societal universe.  I think we can agree that the vast majority of people on AtariAge like/love Atari (and video games in general).  Most people in society don't give a shit about Atari, though they are probably aware of the name and that they make video games.

11 hours ago, JPF997 said:

same thing with the Blade runner neo signs, these subtle references and sponsorships make sure the brand is not forgotten by  younger generations, without them the brand will not survive into the future and I'm glad the current administration ( especially the new CEO Wade Rosen ) understands this very well.

You are putting waaaaay too much importance on the momentary inclusion of an Atari sign into a couple movies.  As Flojomojo mentioned, many other companies were mentioned in "Blade Runner" and that didn't help shit, they all disintegrated.  So much for your "not forgotten by the younger generations" theory, none of those other brands survived into the future although I guess a couple were taken over by other companies.

But go ahead, keep avoiding answering simple questions about your wild claims.  I would, too, if I knew I had no way of backing them up.  But then I wouldn't make those kinds of claims in the first place without having some substantiating evidence to support them because I'd know that probably someone would call me on them.