IGNORED

Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version's ?

JPF997

44 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Computer space, pong, gravitar, asteroids, Missile Comand (2600 version especially ), major havock, Star raiders, Star war's, tempest, I mean what more could you want as proof, most Atari classics are tied to space in some way, it makes perfect sense since Atari was founded just after the moon landing, the companies history and a great portion of it's culture is tied to that era.

Just because a game might be set in space (Missile Command is not set in space) doesn't qualify it as a game that dreamed about the endless possibilities of space.  Again, go back to the Wikipedia list of Atari arcade games, by far most of them have got dick to do with space, to say nothing of "endless possibilities" therein.  Some just happen to have black backgrounds (Sprint), dude, that doesn't mean "space".

Pong is dreaming of the endless possibilities of space?!?  Hahaha, the original designer of the game was simply marveling at the ability to make little squares move on a TV screen, he wasn't thinking of space!  He was thinking about making money selling video games to people who owned TVs.  The game is just on a black playing surface because it's easier to not have to program extra colors and shapes, just the paddles and the ball.

41 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Synthwave as an artistic movement represents the utopian future that could have been if the 80s had continued indefinitely, naturally it ties itself perfectly with an Atari that never suffered a gaming crash,

I cannot wait for you to support that statement with some kind of evidence or facts.  Can.  Not.  Wait.

42 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

do you get it now, it's not nostalgia for the Atari that was but the Atari that could have been (the one from blade runner) that's also what modern Atari SA is trying to become inspired by this vision.

Wait, you know that this is what modern Atari SA is trying to become and how they were inspired?  Says who?

21 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Oh common are you really gonna tell me  this   doesn't look beautiful to you

Pink filter = beautiful?  Those are stripclub colors.  And I love stripclubs, but enough with the neon pink, anyone with a paint program can convert regular images to that shit.

45 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Basically this , there is nothing more to had.

What the fuck?  You're quoting yourself to make a point, now?  Is that how zoomers try to win arguments, hahaaha, they post something, then quote their own post like that is confirmation of their position?  Man, this guy really gets it right here, he's so smart!  Odin, if you have to resort to self-referencing then that's just sad.  I guess we should all start quoting ourselves to back up our positions, hahaahaha.

54 minutes ago, zzip said:

It seems like the deluge of space games in the late 70s / early 80 was more tied to the cultural impact of Star Wars after 1977.   Before that,  Atari was producing games like Football, Baseball, Night Driver, Canyon Bomber, Fire Truck, Sprint.    Sure they tried "Computer Space" arcade machine before Pong, but it failed.

Don't, don't bring facts into this, hahaaha.  I tried playing that Computer Space game at California Extreme once, I think, ugh.  But I do respect the titanic effort to get anything into an arcade cabinet form way back then.  Certainly more than I could pull off.

But Night Driver is in space!  The background is black!

4 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

You may not believe this but this was a result of an edit fail, tried to edit some things in the original comment and somehow ended up reposting it.

I believe you, and stand corrected.  When I went back to look at something else I noticed that now there were images.  My bad.

8 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Wait, you know that this is what modern Atari SA is trying to become and how they were inspired?  Says who?

Remember the collaboration that Atari did with blade runner 2049, the speaker hat, the retro futuristic  hotels, what did you think that was all about?

51 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

you mentioning the attract mode sounds made me remember that I have several mp3 files of 'Arcade Ambience' sounds in my music folder:

each one is a looping mp3 of sounds from the respective year and arcade machines.  hopefully someone else finds this neat, too. :)

Aaaaahhhh, that sounds fantastic.  I have all of these CDs -

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publishing_AudioCD_ArcAmb.html

Not sure if I'll get the 4th one, it's for 1992, past my favorite era.  Man, sometimes I just kick back and listen to that stuff, I can remember walking into certain bigger arcades.  I need that fucking time machine!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Just because a game might be set in space (Missile Command is not set in space) 

In the  2600 version of missile command you are shooting down alien missile's, it's obvious from the box art alone, the original arcade game was an allegory of the cold war and nuclear warfare but the 2600 version was about aliens trying to nuke the earth and our civilization and you the player  trying to stop them.

5 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Remember the collaboration that Atari did with blade runner 2049, the speaker hat, the retro futuristic  hotels, what did you think that was all about?

Marketing.  Come on, guys, buy our shit!  We still exist!

Edited by ledzep
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

Synthwave as an artistic movement represents the utopian future that could have been if the 80s had continued indefinitely, naturally it ties itself perfectly with an Atari that never suffered a gaming crash, do you get it now, it's not nostalgia for the Atari that was but the Atari that could have been (the one from blade runner) that's also what modern Atari SA is trying to become inspired by this vision.

Methinks you don’t know what Synthwave is- especially this supposed connection to Atari…

IMG_2607.thumb.png.718b4fe40aa077efaad492856b98a54e.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPF997 said:

In the  2600 version of missile command you are shooting down alien missile's, it's obvious from the box art alone, the original arcade game was an allegory of the cold war and nuclear warfare but the 2600 version was about aliens trying to nuke the earth and our civilization and you the player  trying to stop them.

Who cares what might have been changed with the box art, there was nothing different with the actual game.  I suspect that was done to not "scare" the kids playing at home.  No no no, that's not nuclear annihilation, that just aliens... trying to wipe us out.  But it's not as scary!

Wait a minute, where do you get the idea that this -

missile-command-atari-2600-1981.jpg

is dealing with alien missiles?  Because of the stupid helmet?  Ah, "interplanetary" ballistic missiles, I guess.  The box art gives no indications that aliens are the ones firing missiles at us.

You really have a wild imagination, you latch onto one inconsequential bit of something and extrapolate out an entire reality based on it.

7 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Methinks you don’t know what Synthwave is- especially this supposed connection to Atari…

This doesn't contradict my statements, of course the artist's  were inspired by they're childhoods in the 80s and the culture of that time ( also Wikipedia doesn't provide the full context, it wasn't just vice city that inspired the birth of this genre, there's a lot more to it).

6 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Who cares what might have been changed with the box art, there was nothing different with the actual game.  I suspect that was done to not "scare" the kids playing at home.  No no no, that's not nuclear annihilation, that just aliens... trying to wipe us out.  But it's not as scary!

Wait a minute, where do you get the idea that this -

missile-command-atari-2600-1981.jpg

is dealing with alien missiles?  Because of the stupid helmet?  Ah, "interplanetary" ballistic missiles, I guess.  The box art gives no indications that aliens are the ones firing missiles at us.

You really have a wild imagination, you latch onto one inconsequential bit of something and extrapolate out an entire reality based on it.

The game manual  of the 2600 version states that the game is set in an intergalactic war between two plannets,  Zardon your planet and the enemy planet krytol ( I got the part about your planet being Earth wrong, it's been a while since I've read that manual ).

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I see it in other projects too,  where it's modern but set in the 80's, or some version.  For example,  I was a huge fan of Moonbeam City!  Although the incidental music there sounded to me like Pat Benatar with the vocals removed or keyboards boosted...

MV5BMjQ4NzU0ODA2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ3   

Huh, is that Patrick Nagel?  Or did they just kind of rip off his art style?

https://www.instagram.com/patricknagelart/

I think his art would fit better with synthwave than any Atari games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

The game manual  of the 2600 version states that the game is set in an intergalactic war between two plannets,  Zardon your planet and the enemy planet krytol ( I got the part about your planet being Earth wrong, it's been a while since I've read that manual ).

That’s a bit different than story from the arcade game. The game arcade story was fighting off nukes from destroying California cities.

Atari did that with a few 2600 games, back-filling some stupid narrative to explain what the game was about.  Points for imaginative attempts to make the boring interesting.  Not present in the original arcade versions which, again, is what the recharged versions are compared to.  They could come out now and say that Sprint was about intergalactic pod racers trying to win their freedom from the oppressive Qualudians, that's not going to change what the game originally was or make it dreaming of the endless possibilities of space.

Get you and your fellow zoomer friends to an arcade (or convention) and play the games the right way, without those goofy narrative assumptions and with the right controllers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Also you forgot to had the  other parts of the article you conveniently decided not to show 

" Other reference points included composers John Carpenter, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis (especially his score for the 1982 film Blade Runner)"

Also you forgot to had the part of the article right after the part you cut off 

" Other reference points included composers John Carpenter, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis (especially his score for the 1982 film Blade Runner)"

"Blade Runner" is not Atari no matter how many times you try to insist on it.  It was one momentary neon sign in a scene in the movie.  For all you know future Atari sells frozen snacks.

• Haha 2

Also you forgot to had the part of the article right after the part you cut off 

Oh for sure you could add more- my point is Atari had nothing to do with its creation (Outrun is mentioned a lot as a source of inspiration). I like Synthwave (mostly the type I linked earlier- Darkwave?) but I don’t think of Atari or Utopian 80s stuff. I think more of Tron and what the 80s thought a future would look like.

15 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Huh, is that Patrick Nagel?  Or did they just kind of rip off his art style?

https://www.instagram.com/patricknagelart/

I think his art would fit better with synthwave than any Atari games.

My guess is they were just aping his style,,,But don't quote me...I got to head to work for now though...

6 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Oh for sure you could add more- my point is Atari had nothing to do with its creation (Outrun is mentioned a lot as a source of inspiration). I like Synthwave (mostly the type I linked earlier- Darkwave?) but I don’t think of Atari or Utopian 80s stuff. I think more of Tron and what the 80s thought a future would look like.

Some people might scoff at this but that neon sign of the Atari logo in the original Blade runner changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, it ended up inspiring the company itself , you see this especially during the blade runner 2049 collaboration, getting the Fuji logo to appear once more for the sequel was a moment of great pride for both the producers of the film and Atari itself.

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I was a huge fan of Moonbeam City!

Looks intriguing, love the Nagel influence. I never heard of this show, probably due to putting up an antenna and cutting the cord back in 2013. Based on this review, and my love of Archer, I'll be checking it out tonight.

The bottom line? It’s okay, but it’s an acquired taste. If you like Archer, you’ll want to check out Moonbeam City. If you really love Archer, you’ll like this show too (but you’ll probably love Archer a lot more). And if you don’t like Archer? Well, South Park airs right before Moonbeam City.

Found it on iTunes, the episodes are downloading:

ScreenShot2023-09-21at5_02_36PM.thumb.png.61a488534df70624e0aff7ffe0d1a4b4.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Some people might scoff at this but that neon sign of the Atari logo in the original Blade runner changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, it ended up inspiring the company itself , you see this especially during the blade runner 2049 collaboration, getting the Fuji logo to appear once more for the sequel was a moment of great pride for both the producers of the film and Atari itself.

I’m gonna have to see sources for that because that sounds like a HUUUUGGGGEEES stretch. I’m a giant Atari fan, and seeing the logo in Blade Runner or in the sequel meant nothing for me. That inclusion did not help them sell systems or make money (pull any company data you want) so I think you are over estimating its effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ledzep said:

But Night Driver is in space!  The background is black!

You know  I seriously think a recharged version of Night Driver could easily become the best remake of them all, given how simplistic the original game is you could add to anything to it and it wouldn't feel out of place 

image.thumb.png.13a88f6f15b9087bd5438459d73ddf64.png

image.thumb.png.f2cb2b3cfc9e9802952b561597052798.png

12 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Atari was effectively DEAD soon after Blade Runner, along with Bell Atlantic, Koss, Pan Am, RCA, and Cuisinart. Blade Runner itself was a box office flop, only gaining cult popularity long after its original theatrical release. 

https://www.aei.org/articles/the-blade-runner-curse-and-the-overestimation-of-corporate-might/#:~:text=Koss and Cuisinart went bankrupt,with the New Coke debacle.&text=Hence the Blade Runner curse.

• Like 3