IGNORED

Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version's ?

JPF997

On 9/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, jerseystyle said:

I read a long conversation on a metal website yesterday where they were explaining the difference, at length, between Death Doom and Doom Death. What’s awesome is everything they were saying made sense but man, us metal heads love our categories (and Satan, apparently).

Technical Death Metal was always my favorite a few years ago, but of course now being a sophisticated upstanding member of society I prefer Progressive Death Metal

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ledzep said:

And bring back the psycho spider. 

(…)

I would prefer that the person character doing the shooting would look like the firing pod or whatever the original game had but I can see where many gamers would welcome the little fairie or whatever that shooter at the bottom is supposed to be.  So make that selectable.

Better now…?

(no guns will ever be removed…ever)

IMG_6763.jpeg

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Wildstar said:

Yes, we are the cyberpunks. At least the proto-cyberpunks of the next generations of cyberpunks. 

Look, cyberpunk is for the elderly… 

pacemaker + skinhead, wigs,  were rebellious between 1982-1988, picture couidn’t be more clear…

Get on…

- - -

Unless… we all got it all wrong and Dystopia started in 1927….  

Just watch Metropolis… (for free), and you’ll see what I mean.

Got most stuff fairly-moderately right; even the suggested solution to it all… 

…that is, given that there are so many ways to look at things…

…yet…

… if my mind is online tonight, big brother is aware, unless it’s only in my dreams… (Yee-aaa-aaahh!!)

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

I think I'm starting to understand why ledzep was having such an issue with my opinions, he  thought that I thought that everything I was saying was a literal statement of fact and not an interpretation ( perhaps a bit to idealized/romantic of an interpretation ) maybe I could have worked things a little better to avoid confusion.

Ledpez also had a problem with me associating Atari with things he thought had nothing to do with it, but he has to understand that the little details and distinctions he cares so much about are not that easy for young people of another generation to understand. The way I see it old Atari was relevant in the 80s, blade runner and the cyberpunk genre were born in the 80s, Atari was referenced in blade runner and so the two became connected in my mind , cyberpunk the tabletop game also referenced Atari and so the connection in my mind grew even stronger. Same thing with Atari and synthwave,you go on YouTube and type Atari and Synthwave in the same sentence and what do you get, Atari themed synthwave music, you go to Google images and type Atari cyberpunk and you'll see a mountain of cyberpunk themed artworks with the Atari logo proudly displayed, you start making connections through the media you consume, is this factual evidence, probably not, does any of this have real cultural impact in the real world,  who knows, maybe I'm the only one that ever made these connections, but given the amount of content I have seen on the internet  over the years made by other people who also make these loose connections I sincerely doubt it.

First thing.... research not just Google search key words and base opinion on the search results. A lot of key facts are in articles on websites even on Wikipedia. For example. Cyberpunk was born out of the 60s-70s and into the 80s. Evolving from books to other medium and in part from inspiration. Late 70s and early 80s, emergence of personal computers and major inspirations in the late 70s and 80s in tv/films and games. This also is when 80s punks were well grown to a noticeable culture and this was directly inspiration in the imagination of authors and artists for then contemporary works on cyberpunk. 

Deeper research and one would on fact based research the Atari was only marginally related to Cyberpunk. Namely due to marketing gimmick in a film in the cyberpunk genre. Of course Atari was a significant player in video games and computers in 1982 as a rival of Commodore. Beginning with Atari 400 competing with Commodore's VIC -20, Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, and Apple II and others. 1982 saw the introduction of the Commodore 64, the best selling model of personal computers of the 80s. As new as it was, C64 wasn't yet on the market when Bladerunner was being filmed. The Vic-20 was Commodore's top selling computer as major rival to the Atari 400. Atari 800 was mainly competing with Apple II and TI-99/4A due to higher price of the 800. Atari 400 was competing with Vic-20 and Timex Sinclair.

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

Look, cyberpunk is for the elderly… 

pacemaker + skinhead, were rebellious between 1982-1988… etc

Get on…

- - -

Unless… we all got it all wrong and Dystopia started in 1927….  

Just watch Metropolis… (for free), and you’ll see what I mean.

Got most stuff fairly-moderately right; even the suggested solution to it all… 

… if my mind is online tonight, big brother is aware, unless it’s only in my dreams… (Yeeeahh)

Confused, was there a question?

12 minutes ago, Wildstar said:

Ah okay. Yeah, can see that.  

I’m impressed with your ability to comprehensively go through and digest posts, given that it contained a full, whopping 2 hours and 36 minutes of content to get through 😉😁😛

Edited by Giles N

34 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I’m impressed with your ability to comprehensively go through and digest posts, given that it contained a full, whopping 2 hours and 36 minutes of content to get through 😉😁😛

Well, we still got it wrong... if we are talking dystopian literature.... we be looking a lot further back. Gulliver's Travels in 1726. Basically any writing on a subject matter of an unpleasant/repressive society with a negative world view. You can even say various books of the Bible had dystopian theme. That goes back a long time. Dystopia has been a trait of human civilization since the beginning of human kind. Cyberpunk subgenre derived from dystopian literature and science fiction and blended the elements with a futuristic setting. Often not far fetch future but a future that is like just over the horizon. Near but distant enough that its a cautionary tale of what could be... as a general message undertone.

How will Atari play into the cyberpunk future ahead? Who knows. Atari, today is small. Atari name has symbolic significance. If Atari plays its cards right, it could be a player in the future as well. 

Since the topic is "Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version?" I would rarely hold one over the other like music. The original is its art. Artful remakes like some good cover versions are decent in their own artistic interpretation. Lazily done remakes are not that good but a remake can be equally good in their own distinct way. I would expect the remake to not be just a literal copy because then, what's the art... I already have it so why do I need a new copy of the same. This is why remakes takes liberties and makes changes. Making changes just to make changes is stupid. Make changes in a thoughtful and carefully thought out manner.... ARTISTICALLY.... tends to produce better results and outcome.

33 minutes ago, Wildstar said:

Cyberpunk subgenre derived from dystopian literature and science fiction and blended the elements with a futuristic setting. Often not far fetch future

If we speak about cyberpunk, I agree it involves sci-fi (fiction related to science and the advance of technology), and my impression is that yes, it’s mostly within future seen over the horizon.

I think also, if its cyber-punk, it’s not an absolute necessity, but it’s more often than not, highly stylized in one way or another since it comes as product of RPGs, manga/anime-stuff, and being a brainchild of a particular generation.

I’m not sure I’d call Metropolis nor Gullivers Travels very ‘punk’.

‘Punk’ was a thing of late 70ies and onwards… not sure whether hair-dye today can be called ‘punk’, as many uses it coming from various backgrounds… it was more about an attitude of sorts…

So, yeah, I actually agree there may be an underlying ‘theme’ to ‘dystopian’, - like particularistic apocalyptic views, or more generally how peoples have wondered how the changes they see coming can bring an end to the civilzations they lived in and knew/know. (Past/present).

As to cyberpunk, guess its much more  recent in tone and style, but perhaps its so popular because it touches a universal nerve…

Edited by Giles N

21 minutes ago, Wildstar said:

How will Atari play into the cyberpunk future ahead? Who knows. Atari, today is small. Atari name has symbolic significance. If Atari plays its cards right, it could be a player in the future as well. 

Since the topic is "Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version?"

Yeah, and this thread got into a lot of stuff discussing the retro-futuristc style (as I think Goldleader called it), while I - even though my life took other avenues, dreamt about being a grfx-artist and game-designer in the 90ies -, just don’t see that all these titles at all have cyberpunk-themes, cyberpunk-history.

Therefore I don’t see why all of them should look like some TRON-thing, just with grfx-engines from the 2010s and 20ies.

If something has a sci-fi storyplot, particulary if its set inside a digital reality, fine.

If its a game where fairy-elves shoot at mega-centipedes, a TRON-look is just akward and looks cheap.

Cheap, like they’ve made an ‘engine’ and then they use it to make games within a certain paradigm of possibilities.

But the graphics and sound must match the setting and gameplay…

This^ is fairly basic stuff…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

If we speak about cyberpunk, I agree it involves sci-fi (fiction related to science and the advance of technology), and my impression is that yes, it’s mostly within future seen over the horizon.

I think also, if its cyber-punk, it’s not an absolute necessity, but it’s more often than not, highly stylized in one way or another since it comes as product of RPGs, manga/anime-stuff, and being a brainchild of particular generation.

I’m not sure I’d call Metropolis nor Gullivers Travels very ‘punk’.

‘Punk’ was a thing of late 70ies and onwards… not sure whether hair-dye today can be called ‘punk’, as many uses it coming from various backgrounds… it was more about an attitude of sorts…

So, yeah, I actually agree there may be an underlying ‘theme’ to ‘dystopian’, - like particularistic apocalyptic views, or more generally how peoples have wondered how the changes they see coming can bring an end to the civilzations they lived in and knew/know. (Past/present).

As to cyberpunk, guess its much more  recent in tone and style, but perhaps its so popular because it touches a universal nerve…

Gulliver's Travel is definitely not "cyberpunk" or "cyber-punk". It has a dystopian view in its context. 

As for punk... hairdye alone isn't punk. It's how it is done in combination of everything else and isn't even absolutely mandatory to be punk. Some punk isn't even noticeable or flat out headshaved in some cases.

Today, Cyberpunk blends punk subculture ideas, dystopian, and sci-fi & technology in a "near future" setting. This near-future setting and idea evolves with time.

There's a point even the 1982 classic... bladerunner may feel like its from the past or only just the present than from the future.

15 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Yeah, and this thread got a lot of stuff discusding the retro-futuristc style (as I think Goldleader called it), while I - even though my life took other avenues-, dreamt about being a grfx-artist and game-designer in the 90ies -, just don’t see that all these titles at all have cyberpunk-themes, cyberpunk-history.

Therefore I don’t see why all of them should look like some TRON-thing, just with grfx-engines from the 2010s and 20ies.

If something has a sci-fi storyplot, psrticulary if its set inside a digital reality, fine.

If its a game where fairy-elves shoot at mega-centipedes, a TRON-look is just akward and looks cheap.

Cheap, like they’ve made an ‘engine’ and then they use it to make games within a certain paradigm of possibilities.

But the graphics and sound must match the setting and gameplay…

This^ is fairly basic stuff…

Yep. There's that art to put it together sensibly. If you are dealing with a sort of futuristic-fantasy... lets throw it out there, like "starfinder" or maybe not quite as futuristic but set in a setting more like say... near-future modern. Maybe, the tech used is laser pistols and rifles, some techno-futuristic knife/sword. Guess what, that's what.... Shadowrun RPG. D&D meets Cyberpunk (TTRPG game) and you get Shadowrun.

A game I have in mind deeper in the pipeline blends concepts but is its own thing and could have all kinds of things. So the game setting as a collective whole is so much more than any singular genre. Then its not a remake of any particular game either.

Gile, at least you can be a hobbyist game designer / graphic Artist without it necessarily being your professional career.

Edited by Wildstar

17 minutes ago, Wildstar said:

There's a point even the 1982 classic... bladerunner may feel like its from the past or only just the present than from the future.

As to most dystopian fiction: movies, books, animations - my general feeling is that they take whats unsettling in the time and just cranck-it up in straight line from where they are.

So Blade Runner has this look and feel, A.I. this look and feel, - Metropolis of course this look and feel (german/expressionistic/neo-gothic-apocalyptic-dystopian 1920-styling).

These franchises rarely manages to guess at where the future-society will move - given just a few major-changes in technology.

They often tend to be linear from the fears and scares of the moment.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

As to most dystopian fiction: movies, books, animations - my general feeling is thst they take whats unsettling in the time and just cranck-it up in straight line from where they are.

So Blade Runner has this look and feel, A.I. this look and feel, - Metropolis of course this look and feel (german/expressionistic/neo-gothic-apocalyptic-dystopian 1920-styling).

These franchises rarely manages to guess at where the future-society will move - given just a few major-changes in technology.

They often tend to be linear from the fears and scares of the moment.

yep. The perspective of the future is a guess at what it will be like from their current moment.

2 minutes ago, Giles N said:

And try to get Atari to publish it…?

If its good, it be cool but you don't have to have Atari publish it. You can self-distribute or use an online store like itch.io or Steam. Or get it on to a site hosted where people can download it, if you're not worrying about making money from it. In the Commodore community, we have CSDb and some other sites. On modern PC, it most likely be a site that serves indie game developers and homebrew game development. Making big bucks being of a lesser expectation.

Edited by Wildstar

3 minutes ago, Wildstar said:

If its good, it be cool but you don't have to have Atari publish it. You can self-distribute or use an online store like itch.io or Steam.

So, how do you build/produce?

Unity, or something like that?
Do you have a team, or is it a one-man project…?

Edited by Giles N

10 minutes ago, Giles N said:

So, how do you build/produce?

Unity, or something like that?
Do you have a team, or a one-man project…?

For 3d game development, I am mainly using Godot. It may also be used in some 2d stuff. Currently, myself but on occassion have had others involved. For my 8-bit stuff, I can usually do everything myself although I tended to outsource music and sometimes sfx stuff. Those games were mostly 2d anyway. 

In the early days of 2d games for 8-bit systems, I'd had to program the graphics in machine code. BASIC using Data statements but ML, well, I do that. Sometimes, I make a sequential file from the data statement values and then the ML (machine language / assembly language) would load the data or used a packer program to combine the file and have the bitmap on screen when needed. Then we had various art programs to make the art but before any of that was done on the computer, the art was designed on graph paper but have to pay attention to the idiosyncracies of any particular computer system.

The larger projects, I may outsource some of that work. Outsourcing doesn't mean just someone out of China. It may include others from anywhere without them being regular employees. There is logistical reasons for that but in the age of remote work, it works.

Edited by Wildstar
  • Like 1