IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

The 2600 games have settings like in the original console,

but the arcade games do not.

The companies that sells us arcade retro games have started to support

dip switch settings (like Arcade1up), even the 50 anniversary collection

was updated earlier this year to support the dip switches, so I think that 

should be high on the list of improvement for this product.

overall, very nice product, I enjoy using that pedal the most.

8 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

I watched this video from GenX Grownup Jon.  

First, I think it answers everybody's questions about which file extensions to use for ROMS.  (.bin is used for Genesis.)

Second, the batch renaming tool Jon recommends is called Advanced Renamer as @Atariboy shared earlier.

Third, Jon demonstrates that you can put 10,000+ ROMS on the SD card, but there are no subdirectories, there's no search, and you only can browse 10 games at a time.  Jon recommends that it might be best to load a small, curated collection of your favorite ROMS.

Fourth, a reminder that the paddle controls only work on the built in games, not the games you put on the SD card.

My thoughts: 

Some people say there is lag using paddles with Retron 77; however, some people say that on certain modern TV's with video game mode, there is zero paddle lag.  If you have one of those TV's, then I would recommend the Retron 77.  PROS: You would have ability to play most carts; load your own ROMS; I think paddles work with your ROMS; community support - Stella builds are updated regularly for Retron 77; brand new Hyperkin controllers are available today (including the lefty/righty Trooper); plus that bad boy has 9 pin controller plugs, so it works with ALL of your Atari controllers.  CONS: I think it only emulates Atari 2600.  

- If you want to play Atari 2600 games, I would recommend the Retron 77 as the best overall option.

- If you want to play ROMS from multiple consoles, I would recommend using your laptop like an emulator console with free Launchbox software and connect to your TV with an HDMI cable.  (But then you won't be able to play any carts.)  

- If you have a small, curated collection of your favorite ROMS from Atari 2600/7800 and 8 bit and 16 bit consoles (but not SNES and if paddle games aren't important to you; and all ROMS and no carts), then I recommend the Gamestation Pro.  I think you will love owning it and playing it.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

First, I think it answers everybody's questions about which file extensions to use for ROMS.  (.bin is used for Genesis.)

Second, the batch renaming tool Jon recommends is called Advanced Renamer as @Atariboy shared earlier.

Third, Jon demonstrates that you can put 10,000+ ROMS on the SD card, but there are no subdirectories, there's no search, and you only can browse 10 games at a time.  Jon recommends that it might be best to load a small, curated collection of your favorite ROMS.

Fourth, a reminder that the paddle controls only work on the built in games, not the games you put on the SD card.

My thoughts: 

Some people say there is lag using paddles with Retron 77; however, some people say that on certain modern TV's with video game mode, there is zero paddle lag.  If you have one of those TV's, then I would recommend the Retron 77.  PROS: You would have ability to play most carts; load your own ROMS; I think paddles work with your ROMS; community support - Stella builds are updated regularly for Retron 77; brand new Hyperkin controllers are available today (including the lefty/righty Trooper); plus that bad boy has 9 pin controller plugs, so it works with ALL of your Atari controllers.  CONS: I think it only emulates Atari 2600.  

- If you want to play Atari 2600 games, I would recommend the Retron 77 as the best overall option.

I cannot edit my post.  I want to clarify one of the advantages of the Retron 77 which is not to be overlooked. 

"Stella 6.1.1 for Retron 77" lets you organize all of your Atari 2600 ROMS into folders.

You can see a demo of this starting at 5:00 in the video below from Hippobytes.

Not only does Stella 6.1.1 for Retron 77 allow you to organize all of your Atari 2600 ROMS into folders, 

but also it lets you scroll down like you would on your PC.  Look, in this demo, the folder has 192

ROMS and he scrolls through easily.  I just wanted to highlight and emphasize that point.  

If you download the Atari Mania ROM collection, that's 2,106 ROMS.

If you download @Impaler_26's Hacks and Homebrews ROM collection, that's another 2,245 ROMS.  

Totally, that's 4,351 ROMS.  

So, how do you want to find your ROMS?

- in luxury on your PC in the LaunchBox environment?

- in comfort on your Retron 77 in the Stella-for-Retron-77 environment?

- or all ROMS stuffed into one folder and flipping through 10 at a time in the Gamestation Pro environment?

Just something to think about before you make your purchase.

The console you buy is like a house that you will have to live in.  Make sure it has enough room.  

You want to be comfortable living in there, don't you?  

BTW that video is three years old.  The latest version of Stella for Retron 77 is 6.6.0.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 3

On 10/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, Living Room Arcade said:

Don't have a GSP yet, but for multi-renaming of files I am using Ant Renamer. The version I have worked under Win XP, as well as Win 7 and still works fine under Win 10 and Win 11.  (You can find the program for download on many other pages as well.)

• Like 2

They are pulling on the heart strings of the Atari Nostalgia very powerful......lol like most I have many consoles and flashbacks too. I think the Raspberry Pie is more viable better support and even better is the Mister option yes a bit more expensive but might be the ultimate device for all these type of games, their support is growing all the time. If the new Atari 2600+ had a SD slot and also played a few other consoles it would be great, I really like the look of it.

As much as I like all these I don't have the space to have them all out on display setup. however very tempting....lol....may need to visit Costco 😄

• Like 3

I returned my Gamestation Pro after only 3 days. I watched a lot of videos beforehand, so I knew what to expect re: downsides. No folders in SD card, awkward placement of B and C buttons, etc. But it was still disappointing, even knowing the downsides in advance.

No one mentions how bad the controller lag is. It made Warlords a less-than-optimal experience. But it's even worse with MAME games. The controller lag made 3 Wonders virtually unplayable, not to mention the jump button at the top of the stick. 

The good stuff:

• LED lights on the stick and console are super cool.
  • The console is nice and heavy. It feels much more robust than you'd expect.
  • It makes it easy to play Atari games with the family on a 720p HDMI plasma.
  • Decent MAME support.

The bad stuff you already know from YT vids:

• All SD ROMs are jammed into a single menu (no subfolders.)
  • No Activision titles
  • Lotta non-Atari filler titles in those 200 games.

The bad stuff you might not know:

• No support for DPC+ or CDFJ+ games, so forget about playing the Gizzle Wap or your favorite Champ ROMS.
  • Lag: you're gonna need to purchase a USB-C male to USB-C male and use the controller wired. (I'm assuming this fixes the lag; I didn't try it.)
  • “Basic Math” is one of the included titles—i.e. nobody's favorite Atari memory.

These bad points aren't so terrible. But not using a recent version of Stella (and including Basic Math) reminds me that this product was not designed by Atari lovers, and probably shouldn't have the Atari logo on it at all. I paid a premium for that sweet, sweet licensed logo.

It's best to think of the Gamestation Pro more as a Piko Interactive multigame unit with cool sticks that also plays a few Atari titles, and you'll be less disappointed. It's a solid *buy* if they blow them out at $39.99 next year, or when they turn up on the used marketplace. I predict it won't be long.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

13 hours ago, xefned said:

I returned my Gamestation Pro after only 3 days. I watched a lot of videos beforehand, so I knew what to expect re: downsides. No folders in SD card, awkward placement of B and C buttons, etc. But it was still disappointing, even knowing the downsides in advance.

No one mentions how bad the controller lag is. It made Warlords a less-than-optimal experience. But it's even worse with MAME games. The controller lag made 3 Wonders virtually unplayable, not to mention the jump button at the top of the stick. 

The good stuff:

• LED lights on the stick and console are super cool.
  • The console is nice and heavy. It feels much more robust than you'd expect.
  • It makes it easy to play Atari games with the family on a 720p HDMI plasma.
  • Decent MAME support.

The bad stuff you already know from YT vids:

• All SD ROMs are jammed into a single menu (no subfolders.)
  • No Activision titles
  • Lotta non-Atari filler titles in those 200 games.

The bad stuff you might not know:

• No support for DPC+ or CDFJ+ games, so forget about playing the Gizzle Wap or your favorite Champ ROMS.
  • Lag: you're gonna need to purchase a USB-C male to USB-C male and use the controller wired. (I'm assuming this fixes the lag; I didn't try it.)
  • “Basic Math” is one of the included titles—i.e. nobody's favorite Atari memory.

These bad points aren't so terrible. But not using a recent version of Stella (and including Basic Math) reminds me that this product was not designed by Atari lovers, and probably shouldn't have the Atari logo on it at all. I paid a premium for that sweet, sweet licensed logo.

It's best to think of the Gamestation Pro more as a Piko Interactive multigame unit with cool sticks that also plays a few Atari titles, and you'll be less disappointed. It's a solid *buy* if they blow them out at $39.99 next year, or when they turn up on the used marketplace. I predict it won't be long.

It was designed for casual fans coupled with holiday giving and nostalgia. This isn't a new concept. Overall, it looks like a solid version of this type of store sold version.

• Like 1

Thanks to all that have reviewed this console, with that said I will restrain from buying this console or wait for the clearance after x-mas and community users modding it.......lol

I'm fortunate to have a Mister setup but not giving it the attention it needs...lol

I believe this may be the ultimate device for all these all old school games.

Also this company has taken the Mister Project to another level.

see link below:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laz455 said:

Thanks to all that have reviewed this console, with that said I will restrain from buying this console or wait for the clearance after x-mas and community users modding it.......lol

Also this company has taken the Mister Project to another level.

see link below:

Wow. This looks like the ultimate muti-game unit.

I got excited when he said they'd be ready in October.

Then I discovered the video is 2 years old. I wonder what ever became of this project?

It looks like it should be the biggest news in retrogaming.

20 minutes ago, xefned said:

Wow. This looks like the ultimate muti-game unit.

I got excited when he said they'd be ready in October.

Then I discovered the video is 2 years old. I wonder what ever became of this project?

It looks like it should be the biggest news in retrogaming.

This console is still thriving 3 yrs later

This is comprise of the de10 Nano board which is the heart of the system, then this company made a add on board with a case . 

you'll need to find some videos on the Mister Project which will explain all this . It also has been discuss on this forum.

I jumped on the bandwagon about 3yrs ago but only slightly played with it. These boards are thru the roof now and really don't know why they are intended for other things.

This device is not really a plug and play console but those who are computer savvy will concord it, most people want real easy type of consoles to use.

This might be the cheapest way to buy from them directly already built you'll just need to program it.

see link:

https://shop.heber.co.uk/multisystem-assembled-deluxe-pack-with-de10-nano/

1 hour ago, laz455 said:

This might be the cheapest way to buy from them directly already built you'll just need to program it.

see link:

https://shop.heber.co.uk/multisystem-assembled-deluxe-pack-with-de10-nano/

Sweet. Thank you. I created an account an added it to a wishlist. Hopefully, it will notify me if they're ever restocked.

I searched before you posted and only found a dead link, followed by a dead link, followed by open source github repo, and assumed the only option would be to build my own. Hopefully they'll come back in stock. Thanks again for the tip!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, xefned said:
  • The bad stuff you might not know:

And this is why I won't get one. The Retron 77 does all this except play the 5200 & 7800 and I'm ok with that. There is no noticeable lag and you can play the homebrew games. The more you have to fix on your own, the more I am convinced this isn't the ultimate system for playing Atari Roms.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 6:30 AM, swlovinist said:

having a hard time getting roms recognized off the sd card.   Tried using .a26 games format.   Going to upload a video soon and need to show this.   If anyone can help please let me know.   I tried looking above to see how to do it, but just not having success.  

Were you able to get N64 and SNES to work?  I tried changing the ROMs from .sfc and .srm to .md and .bin, but neither work.  I'm new at this.  So, any assistance would be appreciated.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, xefned said:

FWIW, I only find the lag to be minor. It's easy to eliminate altogether by not using wireless and connecting the stock controllers to the console via USB. 

Edited by just_lou
spelling