IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I couldn't find it online earlier but, as of this morning, October 17, these show for order on the Costco website for $79.99

Last week I purchased mine online too. In fact I bought the Costco membership for $60 with a free $30 "Shop Card" just to order it. 🙂

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I purchased a Gamestation Pro and overall really like it -- you can read my review here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KEEL_x_JyzAmKW9SLjkwCXpAmmHHFIlD/view?usp=share_link

The problem I'm having is finding a third party controller to use with the system.  For some of the games -- like the Piko Interactive RPG's -- you really NEED a controller with a D pad.

I bought a USB A to C adapter and tried a bunch of controllers I have already -- a CX-40, a SNES controller, a third party XBox one -- and NONE of them work.  Someone linked a controller in a video review but I don't want to pay $130 for a new controller!  Don't want to spend over $40 if I can help it, really.

Can anyone suggest a controller that WILL work on this?  Like, does anyone know if this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wireless-Controller-Adapter-Windows-Raspberry/dp/B0C4Y9FB85/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1PPHF5OOQ5LUN&keywords=atari+vcs+wireless+modern+controller&qid=1697843744&sprefix=atari+wireless+modern%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SoulBlazer said:

Hi everyone!

The problem I'm having is finding a third party controller to use with the system.  For some of the games -- like the Piko Interactive RPG's -- you really NEED a controller with a D pad.

I'd be tempted to get Atari's Wireless Modern Controller. Even though it's double the cost of the Raspberry Pi one you linked to, it's much less than the $130 one linked in the video.

It has a D-pad, has rumble, can play in wired mode if you find lag is a problem, and matches the look of the GSP with matching Atari insignias, and lots of button options...

controller-button-layout.jpg?v=166492063

I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Gamestation Pro. But it seems like it should be.

The Retro-Bit wireless Genesis-style controllers are also great, but the brand generation mismatch could be disorienting.

Edited by xefned
font size

Thanks for the suggestion of the Atari Wireless Motion Controller.  Nothing on the website says it works with the Gamestation Pro, so I sent an inquiry to Atari to see if they will answer that.

Someone else in another video speculated the console requires controllers which support the x-input standard -- no idea how to find out which ones do and don't.

22 minutes ago, SoulBlazer said:

Thanks for the suggestion of the Atari Wireless Motion Controller.  Nothing on the website says it works with the Gamestation Pro, so I sent an inquiry to Atari to see if they will answer that.

Someone else in another video speculated the console requires controllers which support the x-input standard -- no idea how to find out which ones do and don't.

If the Gamestation pro is bluetooth then it should work.

8 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

image.thumb.png.74561a992e7dcb5a004af48242dd818b.png

→ Brand new, knock off, third party XBox One controller for under $30.

It's interesting that they're manufactured by PowerA; that's the same company that makes the Atari controllers.

Doesn't guarantee compatibility. But if the Atari Modern Controller can be switched into Xbox mode, odds seem pretty good.

I'm following this conversation with great interest because now I'm building a Raspberry Pi to be as “Atari-like” as possible. In my short time owning a GSP, I realized I wanted it to play more emulated systems like Amiga and Apple II, the systems I'll probably never own in real hardware.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SoulBlazer said:

Can anyone suggest a controller that WILL work on this?  Like, does anyone know if this would work?

I can tell you one that DOES NOT work. The Turtle Beach REACT-R Wired Game Controller. It's a wired USB-C controller that on paper should work, but doesn't work at all. So I guess 3rd party controllers are gonna be hit or miss. 

Untitled.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on what I'm seeing from reviews and people's comments.  It looks like this is using some form of retroarch.  Definitely using altira BIOS for 5200 games which makes me think it is using a5200 (comes with altirra bios) and not atari800.

Likely mane2003.  Also if it recognizes the "samples" folder for arcade games chances are it recognizes other mame folders like "cfg" and "nvram".

Also likely using prosystem for a7800 emulation and stella 2013 for atari 2600 emulation.  Depending on how current the retroarch is on it.  It might be able to play ricki  & vicki. 

Two questions.

Has anyone tried connecting a keyboard to see if it is recognized?

Does the arcade version of Tempest included support the paddle controller?

Edited by Shannon

I have sent e-mails to Atari, 8bitdo, and AtGames to ask about their controllers to see if they know anything will work with the Gamestation Pro.  Yes, I could return a controller, but that's just a lot of hassle.

From what folks on here are saying, PS4/XBox One third party controllers will work, which is something I DO NOT have (I tried it with a XBox 360, PS5, and Switch controller).

On 10/21/2023 at 4:45 PM, mario64 said:

Just hooked mine up and am only getting sound out of the left speaker. No right side audio at all. Anyone else seeing this or should I exchange it?

Heads-up for others who connect their game consoles to a stereo TV or AV receiver, My Arcade confirmed via email that Gamestation Pro only outputs sound on the left channel. Their response was "it's mono sound" as if that somehow implies mono sound cannot be played into both left and right channels. They gave no indication they will fix this in an update. I'll be returning mine.

Edited by mario64

2 minutes ago, SoulBlazer said:

Hum, my sound is fine, I have mine connected to a HDMI box.

Fine in what way? You’re saying you have both left and right channel audio? If so, I find that hard to believe. I’ve had two units now and both only produce left channel audio. My Arcade confirmed that is expected behavior. 

5 minutes ago, mario64 said:

Fine in what way? You’re saying you have both left and right channel audio? If so, I find that hard to believe. I’ve had two units now and both only produce left channel audio. My Arcade confirmed that is expected behavior. 

Switch your TV to mono mode to get it to come out of both speakers. 

(Most TVs probably do this automatically when they only receive left-channel audio.)

16 minutes ago, xefned said:

Switch your TV to mono mode to get it to come out of both speakers. 

(Most TVs probably do this automatically when they only receive left-channel audio.)

My consoles all connect to a Denon AVR. It has no mono mode that I’m aware of. I just wanted to make others aware in case they’re in the same boat as me. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mario64 said:

My consoles all connect to a Denon AVR. It has no mono mode that I’m aware of. I just wanted to make others aware in case they’re in the same boat as me. 

Thanks for letting is know the sound only comes out the left speaker.  Mine is connected to an old Sony TV.  I have the same problem but now know it is only a mono audio system.  I enabled the TV audio setting TruSurround XT to get the audio in both speakers.

• Like 2