IGNORED

Jaguar+, Yay or Nay?

Gunther

4 hours ago, Gunther said:

Jumping At Shadows looks like it's running on modern architecture, and absolutely deserves a large audience.

This sentence needs to be embossed in gold. This is an understatement due only to the shortcomings of the English language. That game looks amazing and has a completely modern look and feel. Atari should license this and sell it as an official Atari release!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, zzip said:

What if they just made a Jaguar controller for the VCS and ran BigPemu on that?

Yeah, it seems like a fair compromise would be to pay Rich for a VCS port of BigPEmu stand-alone (As in not part of Atari 50) and sell an Atari Jaguar pro-controller re-release with a USB plug on it. Then we could get down on the VCS with our real controller overlays and everything, or plug our own custom controllers in with our own USB adapters, and they could devise a way to sell ROMs in their store like they do with the 2600/7800 emulators on the VCS.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I’m a HUGE Jag fan, but I can’t see any way they’d sell enough to make a Jag+ viable. Maybe repackage the unsold VCSs as emulation machines with Jag, Atari ST, Lynx stuff or something. I’d buy that.

As opposed to the 17th iteration of a 2600 re-re-release over the past 15 years? I mean I get it but the 2600 is played out to an exhausting point. 

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

But people still buy them. I’m gonna pick up either the 2600+ or the other one I don’t think the Jag hits that same primal retro urge. 

I certainly think there is space for the Jaguar+ if it is marketed right and handled right.

• Like 1

Their was a guy 2 yrs ago with a similar..dream, problem with jaguar was that most of the library was liscenced or based on non owned ips, doom, NBA jam, primal range, wolf 3d, avsp to name a few wouldn't be on it.

Basically the small library on the atari anniversary disc was most of what they own, maybe 10 more games with them owning accolade, most of their games were incomplete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

Their was a guy 2 yrs ago with a similar..dream, problem with jaguar was that most of the library was liscenced or based on non owned ips, doom, NBA jam, primal range, wolf 3d, avsp to name a few wouldn't be on it.

Basically the small library on the atari anniversary disc was most of what they own, maybe 10 more games with them owning accolade, most of their games were incomplete

It wouldn't matter here, though, since a Jaguar+ would have a cart slot and wouldn't include any games, like the 2600+.

But as someone else reminded in another topic, the Jaguar is one the least successful consoles of all time. I don't want to argue with figures but it sold less than 500,000 units, so it would be a tough sell compared to the 2600+... Don't get me wrong; I'm aware quite a lot of AtariAgers would want one - hell, I may even be interested myself - but that doesn't make it profitable for Atari. I was obviously teasing Gunther with the "dozens" GIF but I doubt there would be more than 1000 buyers. 😔

• Like 1

So who is the market? All those people with their beloved Jag carts in a closet from the 90's but no Jag system? The people who don't own a Jaguar, but have heard such great things about Club Drive and Kasumi Ninja that they want a new console and to pay EBay prices for games? The people who have a tough time deciding to spend $60 on either Mario Wonder or Frog Feast?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I don't know. But since Gunther sent me 6 private messages to try to convince me, I'll just say here as well that a Jaguar cart slot for the VCS would probably cover everything he wants from a Jaguar+. Which may happen through the Polymega deal anyway, since the goal is to use the VCS as the main system connected to the modules.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't know. But since Gunther sent me 6 private messages to try to convince me, I'll just say here as well that a Jaguar cart slot for the VCS would probably cover everything he wants from a Jaguar+. Which may happen through the Polymega deal anyway, since the goal is to use the VCS as the main system connected to the modules.

Atari Rage...

• Confused 4

31 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

There's a 2600/7800 Polymega module, a 2600+, The My Arcade ATARI G.S.P,  and the VCS800 for 2600/7800 games...

I'm wagering the second Polymega Module will be the Jaguar.

Edited by Gunther

On 10/1/2023 at 9:38 AM, MrBeefy said:

The market didn't want a Jaguar when it was released. Not sure why it would want a +version now. I would be willing to bet that's why the 2600+ also includeds 7800.

I feel like this is saying Mattel should make a HyperScan+. 🤪

On 10/1/2023 at 7:31 AM, Gunther said:

There's a 2600/7800 Polymega module, a 2600+, The My Arcade ATARI G.S.P,  and the VCS800 for 2600/7800 games...

I'm wagering the second Polymega Module will be the Jaguar.

I'll add that not only didn't the mkt want it when released, for over a decade after it was released, you could still easily obtain a new in box jaguar in the hundred dollar range and a new in box jag cd for 150 range, from several online retailers similar to the vcs they really were not sought after, only after angery video game nerd review did they suddenly become a hot commodity.

An attachment to vcs in the low 1000 range to test mkt probably be more than enough.

I can't see a model that doesn't include games similar to a flashback getting many buyers.

Even that would be better to combine linx/jag/st in one unit somehow, would be.cool

• Like 1

In one regard, the ability to buy a Jag for less than the frankly silly prices they go for would be the reason to do it.

However... Even back in the day, the Jag was was hardly loved. There are maybe five great games for it in terms of commercial releases, most of which cost ludicrous money or are borderline unobtanium. It really would only exist for the homebrew scene which is getting to the stage that it only exists in the US as it's so expensive to get carts anywhere else. Even Telegames here are £80-90 a game, AA and others are now comfortably over £100 a game outside the US. We now have an excellent flash cart but a lot of the homebrew out there isn't available in ROM format which is becoming the only realistic way to buy games outside the US these days. So currently I don't see any real market for a Jag+ because there's bugger all you can do with the thing.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 4

Usually when you go through the second time around,   for example the Genesis Mini,  you get to save some money.  And,  if you missed it the first time,  you find out what all the fuss was about,  and see for yourself if it was any good.   I'd certainly be in,  even just to finally check it out and see for myself.   But the price would have to be good,  and that might be tricky.  If they could have built-in games,  and convince some of the licensees to just take smaller amounts, or scale it up if they can make additional batches to sell more as word spreads (if word spreads)...Maybe treat "royalties" more like profit sharing...Probably nearly impossible, but...Maybe.  I'm sure most would consider this a pipe dream and fool's errand...But I'd be in for sure.

Without built-in games,  an Everdrive (GameDrive is it?) would be a must...

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:38 AM, MrBeefy said:

The market didn't want a Jaguar when it was released. Not sure why it would want a +version now. I would be willing to bet that's why the 2600+ also includeds 7800.

I feel like this is saying Mattel should make a HyperScan+. 🤪

"The market didn't want a Jaguar when it was released. Not sure why it would want a +version now. "

Just to see what they missed.  

But nobody ever missed The Hyperscan.  (heh)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I mean you can blame Atari for a lot of things, but I don't think they caused Brexit :D

TL:DR incomming:

To be fair the monumental farce that was Brexit can be traced back to an incompetant Prime Minister (David Cameron) who bet his career on the people of Britain as a whole whilst simultaneously being monumentally out of touch with the rest of the country outside London. Rather than make the decision he was put in the position to do, he did a referendum. Much of it was a protest vote at the banking crisis and 'austerity' that followed it (the sitting government essentially making us bail out the banks). Another chunk was Brussels being seen as enforcing laws upon us (a lot of which was blown out of all proportion by the news and news papers). Next were the lies and political games played out of pure self interest. The biggest being the one where they'd take the billions we were paying into the EU and redirect it into the NHS instead. This was pasted on the side of Brexit busses and the NHS in this country is one of the HUGE things we are proud of and want to see funded. It cannot be stated strongly enough how manipulative and strong this particular lie was. Finally you had the likes of Boris, who originally saw Brexit as a mistake, suddenly it was the best idea ever as he realised it'd get him into number 10. Oh yeah, then we have the blatant manipulation of social media by interested parties (look up Cambridge Analytica for that particular gem).

I bet if we dig deep enough there'll be some link to Atari too 😜

Sadly no taking it back now. I still have no idea what the people who were so invested in us leaving the EU got from it. Certainly only downsides from my point of view. I can no longer just hop on a ferry to the Netherlands or Belgium (indeed the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry is no more). Postage between us and the rest of the planet is now utterly broken. We don't make anything any more so everything imported costs loads more. I've seen no upside to it. Other than Brussels no longer makes decisions for us. Given the last one we made alone, I'm not sure that's a good thing either...

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 4