IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2023 Thread!

CaptainBreakout

7 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

We could call it stupid cupid and swap candy and treats. Might be cheaper if we use Amazon or other online retailers to drop ship.

I'm in if we have to source our candy from another continent, so I can finally get a shot at getting some Miso Soup or "Adult Sweetness" Kit-kat. 

so i caved in...

IMG_0677.thumb.jpg.fb87e869dedda5357c8b94e6317ef1ef.jpg

I was warned that the contents were not individually wrapped...

The first two items I saw were Zelda themed!! Old school Zelda themed!! Pixel art and a FRIGGIN TRIFORCE TREE!!!

There was also a SWEET Zelda t-shirt of that legendary "opening scene" getting the wooden sword!!

IMG_0678.thumb.jpg.69c880ed0872024bc54be732217811c8.jpg

Next I uncovered a bunch of TMNT goodies!! My youngest daughter (age 5) is going to want to fight me for those keychains!!

I will absolutely destroy her in UNO (we stack cards in this house).

She will love playing the old school NES/SNES/GEN/Arcade titles with her daddy (and sister) on the Switch collection!!

IMG_0679.thumb.jpg.396d5fc135d046c4cf33edffdd434408.jpg

Another nice gamer t shirt lounge in, and my FAVORITE COFFEE EVER (Dunkin Polar Peppermint).

I can't wait to try the Blueberry one. I wonder what creamer would pair best with it. French vanilla? 

IMG_0680.thumb.jpg.8f8c5ed10c55a69335a96a9281e1acfb.jpgIMG_0681.thumb.jpg.cb8c9b47088253cab5adbcdc6c52d5c1.jpg

I didn't know what this thing was on first or second glance other than some tiny clock...

IMG_0682.thumb.jpg.a2ddf50509af84fc3d3af29e37e48279.jpg

...and then I instantly FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!

IMG_0683.thumb.jpg.1984f865f86086080a34d00a01f8f29d.jpgIMG_0684.thumb.jpg.37dc21e7545464ffc953eadb9b4a51c2.jpgIMG_0685.thumb.jpg.21262b8be0b2b22afb98b8507830b846.jpg

I'm a huge Mega Man NUT, and I didn't know anything about this item.

Turns out it's a 15th anniversary Gamestop Exclusive item!!

It's a reimagining of one of the minor enemies in the original Mega Man games (1 and 2 on NES).

The thing has sticky feet which can be washed over and over and will regain stickiness again.

I can stick it on a table, on a wall, or on a ceiling, because the clock inside ROTATES automatically to keep the display level!! Some type of gyro gravity wizardry this is!!

I keep staring at this little blue thing. 💙

Secret Santa, thank you for all the INCREDIBLE assortment of surprises. Amazing varied selection, and a few of those are sure to make some family memories.

"Draw sixteen, kid!" 🤣

Thanks again! Merry Christmas!! 🎄

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

• Like 7

Nice haul @bomberpunk! I’m holding off on mine until the 24th. That’s my next day off and it will bring me some much needed instant joy (I work retail. Would not recommend. Especially at Christmas! 🤣🤣)

HOME STRETCH PEOPLE!! 😊

Here comes Santa Claus! Here comes Santa Claus! Right down Atari Age way!

A81040FE-0261-414D-AA62-EED010CD958E.jpeg

• Like 3

My parcel just arrived in France, hourra !

Just paid the VAT, the custom and carrier fees so it's all good for delivery once I come back from a family trip. So dear Santa, don't worry if I don't send pictures until next week or begining of january. Can't wait too what amazing things you sent me.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Any chance you could take some hi-res pictures or scans of these and share them, please?

If it's ethical to do so, that is.

While the company that made them is long gone, cross stitchers are cutthroat about copyright & I'd likely get crucified for it 😅

More importantly, I don't currently have access to a good scanner or a camera better than my 5 year old phone. But if that changes, I'll make a post! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

While the company that made them is long gone, cross stitchers are cutthroat about copyright & I'd likely get crucified for it 😅

More importantly, I don't currently have access to a good scanner or a camera better than my 5 year old phone. But if that changes, I'll make a post! 

Makes sense. I'll see what I can find on ebay.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

what's happening on Valentine's Day?

A number of years ago I got an Amazon gift card. The first shipping failed with an empty, ripped up envelope. The second shipping succeeded with only a few dog ears on the books I ordered, and arrived at Valentine's Day.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Fadest said:

My parcel just arrived in France, hourra !

Just paid the VAT, the custom and carrier fees so it's all good for delivery once I come back from a family trip. So dear Santa, don't worry if I don't send pictures until next week or begining of january. Can't wait too what amazing things you sent me.

Wow, you have to pay taxes on gifts?  That's not cool at all.  And carrier fees?  At least it's not lost!

• Like 1

VAT (20%) on declared value+postage fees starting on first Euro (no more exemption because of chinese dropshippers who were cheating the system). 

Custom fees depending on type of goods (video games is usually 0%) but video games parts us taxable for example. 

Carrier fees to handle all these taxes & fees, fortunately french post is quite cheap compared to DHL or UPS (5€ vs 15 or 18€ just to collect some money...). 

That's the rule, I knew it when registering to the Secret Santa. 

• Sad 2

In principle I believe the whole EU has the same regulations now, but there still seems to be a soft limit around $30 declared value to avoid VAT surcharges if your item is declared as a gift. While I've paid taxes for overseas purchases many times, I don't think I've ever had to face it on a Secret Santa gift so far.

• Like 2

Hi all!

I would not have believed it possible to do it, especially since I was entered well after the time limit (thank you @chicgamer and thank you to my Secret Santa that made himself available for this)

I understand that some trickery had to be done to enable my enrolling, but here I am, announcing that the sleigh is ready, and just after a couple of days needed by much deserved reindeer rest, this extremely late Secret Santa is GO!

Hopefully, my recipient's mailbox will be hit in time for Epiphany.

Edited by Paolo
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Makes sense. I'll see what I can find on ebay.

There's four books for Pac-man, made by Millcraft. One is labeled Ms. Pac-man, sometimes it's easier to find that way.

There's also four Mario patterns from Plaid, and a few punch needle kits from Purr-fect Punch. I don't do punch needle & suspect the iron ons for it no longer work, but I've seen Mario, Zelda, & Punch-out.

Let me know if you need any help looking!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HoshiChiri said:

There's four books for Pac-man, made by Millcraft. One is labeled Ms. Pac-man, sometimes it's easier to find that way.

There's also four Mario patterns from Plaid, and a few punch needle kits from Purr-fect Punch. I don't do punch needle & suspect the iron ons for it no longer work, but I've seen Mario, Zelda, & Punch-out.

Let me know if you need any help looking!

Thank you. I will do a search after Christmas.

My gift from Secret Santa has now been picked up, apparently at the last second as they would return it tomorrow if I understood correctly.

I know people hesitate to give out email addresses and phone numbers, and that only a fraction of couriers utilize that info anyway unless you pay extra surcharges for them to send a text message, but if that info was provided, we wouldn't have to rely on a single point of information exchange to know when, how and where to find packages. It might be worth considering for next year.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

My gift from Secret Santa has now been picked up, apparently at the last second as they would return it tomorrow if I understood correctly.

I know people hesitate to give out email addresses and phone numbers, and that only a fraction of couriers utilize that info anyway unless you pay extra surcharges for them to send a text message, but if that info was provided, we wouldn't have to rely on a single point of information exchange to know when, how and where to find packages. It might be worth considering for next year.

This is a huge relief.  Chicgamer gets the credit for noticing my typo and basically fixing this problem.  Thank you.

And these are good points, and a good learning experience.  Of course maintaining the (illusion?) Santa Secrecy is part of the experience, at the same time the process could use another failsafe or two to prevent delivery problems and mixups, to use this as an example.  We'll talk about it for next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1