IGNORED

2600+ amazon or preorder from atari

maddigor2

I feel badly for the folks who pre-ordered and are still waiting.  I pre-ordered back in August as well - but it was through Amazon Canada.  I received my items more than a week ago.

I imagine that a certain number were set aside at the factory and shipped directly to the distributor here and never passed through the same chain.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that folks who are still waiting get an explanation of what went wrong.  So far all they've heard is "Whoops - mistakes were made." 

No details on what the mistakes were, or more importantly, what steps are being taken to get them their orders now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

In the past week there have been multiple shipments of Mr Run and Jump arriving at port from overseas.  So once it clears / trucks / stock ships... the product exists and in 'in country' so no worries.

That's great to hear! I wish Amazon wouldn't sent those emails that way because I've missed one before and had my order cancelled. I'm excited to play the game, but I'm fine waiting because it's nice to see it seemingly selling well. 🙂

Edited by YonderVittles

10 minutes ago, YonderVittles said:

I received an email from Amazon asking me to approve the delay of Mr. Run and Jump. It said that because of logistics issues they no longer know when it will ship. I figured I would mention it in case others received them and may have missed it. That way your order doesn't end up getting cancelled. 

Velly.....intellesting!

4 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Ok, I'm not going to go off track, so I'll only respond to this once. But a publicly traded company, depending on how many outstanding shares there are, can have a controlling interest bought out if there's a majority of the shares outstanding. Based on FTC guidelines, a company has several reporting requirements, and decisions are made by the members of the board in lieu of decisions from the shareholders. I don't know if Atari has a full board, or if the ELT constitutes the board... but common stock offering has voting rights, preferred shares do not. I've owned Atari stock in the past, and I've received prior electronic voting options (don't even remember what they were). So, depending on how many shares are outstanding (don't even care to look), someone could come in and buy the remaining shares and if that constitutes more than 51% (which it probably does not), then they can do what they want.

That's a long winded wording of +50% equals the controlling interest. 

There can be only 1 controlling interest- so your prior phrasing of "I could likely buy *a* controlling interest"..... 

Wade holds just over 50% of Atari- and he spent tens of millions to get it.   If you have that much cash... you probably wouldn't be playing around on this forum often.  Although I suppose Elon has shown that even rich people waste time with dumb stuff.

24 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

That's a long winded wording of +50% equals the controlling interest. 

There can be only 1 controlling interest- so your prior phrasing of "I could likely buy *a* controlling interest"..... 

Wade holds just over 50% of Atari- and he spent tens of millions to get it.   If you have that much cash... you probably wouldn't be playing around on this forum often.  Although I suppose Elon has shown that even rich people waste time with dumb stuff.

That's kind of a silly statement, there are many millionaires on this forum. Atari was something that everyone loved growing up, whether wealthy, poor, or whatever it is. I like Atari, and I don't want to speak ill of it, but a company like that is not one that someone "invests" in unless they intend to do something with it. As in, it's not something that someone would hold in an IRA or investment account with the thought that they're going to see a significant return on their capital.

And on "a" controlling interest, investment companies will often buy large stock purchases of a company in order to (combined) get to a majority holding of the company with another investor who's also purchasing a large controlling interest. In this case, even at ~45% of stock ownership, that can put significant pressure on a company to make a change, based on a threat of dumping the stock. Again though... I like Atari... and I am (was?) one of it's hugest fans. I don't know what your angle is, unless perhaps you work there... but ignoring this isn't going to make these problems go away. If anything, it only further infuriates people like me who feel like we've been taken advantage of.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:13 AM, 82-T/A said:

I've worked for dozens of companies before, and I've seen how they do damage control. The companies that often fail believe that more information will result in a worse result.

The thing is they are right.  

I've seen companies that ignore online controversies completely,  it blows over, life goes one.

I've seen other companies try to be more transparent and address things, and usually they end up pouring more fuel on the fire.   Their words get twisted by the community and the controversy rages hotter and longer than it would have.

I hate that it has to be this way, but I totally get why some companies stay silent, or release carefully-worded fluffy/BS sounding statements.

2 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

It's not an assumption to realize that a global launch is a tree.  Many branches. 

For you guys to keep saying 'Atari' as a singularity with control is...  naive at best...

"Either Atari has no control how their product goes out, which is bad"- no, they are doing what most companies do- a supply chain.  Product moves from one link to the next- and in this case- there are many chains in several directions- more of a web spreading across the globe.  Nothing that is happening here is 'bad' or 'botched'- it's just kid's whining about a couple weeks of normal operations.

It's not like Atari is building these themselves in-house- packing and shipping direct to consumer.

The problem is Atari has said repeatedly in these forums that pre-orders would ship in November and everyone else would receive theirs in December.   It would have been better had they not made any delivery promises.  I get the logistics can be complicated, but as a wise man once said, "Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash"

• Like 4

On 11/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

People who pre-ordered first and are still waiting while everybody is getting and playing their 2600+ do have a totally legit gripe, even if it won't be that long in the big scheme of things.  For the record I'm pretty sure Atari has acknowledged the issue on social media, although it seems there was little they were able to do about it after the fact other than try to get people their orders in early December.  They didn't plan this, although you can say not planning might be the problem.

I say that as a lucky jerk who pre-ordered day one from Atari and received everything last week.  Apparently I was so indecisive that I ordered the 2600+, then a separate order of another joystick and some t-shirts, and finally the paddles and the new games, and it may have worked in my favor.  I didn't intend to game the system, lol.

It is a little weird that you know they sent these nice press kits to these "influencers" on YouTube and there's people that actually make games who are the real unsung heroes of the community that don't have it. and are waiting on Atari themselves. that's a little bit of something that could have been improved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

but a company like (Atari) is not one that someone "invests" in unless they intend to do something with it.

Agreed- Wade's own (substantial) personal investment to buy control of Atari- as well as his acquisitions made in the last year speak volumes (at least to me)....and are why I keep buying more & more shares.  :)

6 hours ago, zzip said:

The problem is Atari has said repeatedly in these forums that pre-orders would ship in November and everyone else would receive theirs in December.   It would have been better had they not made any delivery promises.

But...preorders *did* ship in November.    Did they state ALL preorders would be received in November?  That's a complete different thing....and unlikely for any company to promise.

It hasn't even been 2 weeks since it launched- (tomorrow) and Atari's own website says "This item is currently available for order and will ship the first week of December 2023." which is next week.

I really think a few weeks is not a big deal....

Now if they miss having it in people's hands before Christmas- THEN it would be completely understandable to flip out.   Heck- I'll even join in yelling at Atari's social media accounts at that point.

Atari has done, and still does mistakes...but this launch wasn't one of them.

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

It is a little weird that you know they sent these nice press kits to these "influencers" on YouTube and there's people that actually make games who are the real unsung heroes of the community that don't have it. and are waiting on Atari themselves. that's a little bit of something that could have been improved

Makes sense to me.  Influencers spread the word on the product- get people excited- get orders placed- it is Christmas time after all.   At this point- it's the sales that are priority- as they should be.

The people making games...aren't.  And there's nothing wrong with that business wise.  They are further down the list of things to get done.  It's not like someone getting a 2600+ last week would have a new game made and ready for release next week.  It's not like Atari can postpone Christmas....and if any developer can't understand that...and gets pissy... well, they probably aren't someone good to work with anyway.

12 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Agreed- Wade's own (substantial) personal investment to buy control of Atari- as well as his acquisitions made in the last year speak volumes (at least to me)....and are why I keep buying more & more shares.  :)

Ok, so there's two things going on here. You work for Atari, and I absolutely applaud you for buying stock in the company you work for because you believe in it. Or... you have absolutely no clue how to invest and you're buying stocks in what you like, rather than than what will grow wealth. I think Wade has done a fantastic job in taking Atari to that next level... a company that was basically dead several years ago (as far as everyone was concerned), and I'm thrilled at the progress he's made. But that doesn't mean that we should ignore the same mistakes that have been made 2 to 3 times now.

But...preorders *did* ship in November.    Did they state ALL preorders would be received in November?  That's a complete different thing....and unlikely for any company to promise.

That is a serious nuance here that absolutely no one is going to agree with. That's like saying "I didn't inhale" if you get the reference.

Let's say you made a reservation at a restaurant, checked in, and were waiting to be seated. Would you not be upset if for the next 2 hours, everyone that came into the restaurant AFTER you, that didn't have a reservation, was seated and served? Serious question. It's not even that people who never bothered to pre-order were able to get their Atari 2600+ before the pre-order people... but the fact that Atari seemed to ship out the product in REVERSE ORDER. The people who ordered ON THE DAY of August 22nd, are the ones who are going to be getting their Ataris dead-last, where the people who ordered in October got them first, then the people who ordered them in September got them second.

Makes sense to me.  Influencers spread the word on the product- get people excited- get orders placed- it is Christmas time after all.   At this point- it's the sales that are priority- as they should be.

I agree with this... I think it makes sense to send a "glamorized" version of the product to influencers, who will then use their reach to discuss the product to potential customers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

It hasn't even been 2 weeks since it launched- (tomorrow) and Atari's own website says "This item is currently available for order and will ship the first week of December 2023." which is next week.

Now if they miss having it in people's hands before Christmas- THEN it would be completely understandable to flip out.   Heck- I'll even join in yelling at Atari's social media accounts at that point.

Atari has done, and still does mistakes...but this launch wasn't one of them.

But turned out that people who didn't preorder were getting them in November while some people who did pre-order had to wait,  which was completely contrary to what Atari had said would happen.

Yes if it was ordered as a Christmas present, then it wouldn't matter so much, but not everybody ordered them as Christmas presents.

I understand Atari is at the mercy of some third parties here.   But they need to be careful to not promise things they can't deliver.   This is probably their biggest launch under the current management, so it's possible it was unexpected to them too, but hopefully they learn from it.

8 minutes ago, zzip said:

But turned out that people who didn't preorder were getting them in November while some people who did pre-order had to wait,  which was completely contrary to what Atari had said would happen.

If they ordered from the same place- then yes, I agree.  If we are comparing ordering from Atari to those receiveing from ordering through Amazon...that's different and likely out of Atari's control no matter what they did.

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

Ok, so there's two things going on here. You work for Atari, and I absolutely applaud you for buying stock in the company you work for because you believe in it. Or... you have absolutely no clue how to invest and you're buying stocks in what you like, rather than than what will grow wealth.

I don't work for Atari.

I do know investing.

I do like the stock.

I do expect the value to grow substantially.

38 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

If they ordered from the same place- then yes, I agree.  If we are comparing ordering from Atari to those receiveing from ordering through Amazon...that's different and likely out of Atari's control no matter what they did.

THE ENTIRE TIME... most of us here have been talking about people who "pre-ordered" directly from the Atari website, except for the OP. You know this, I've stated this repeatedly. I ordered on August 22nd... most people who ordered in September and even October have already gotten theirs, but the people who ordered in August (the first ones to order) are still waiting. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

14 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Last spring, I hired someone to mow for me.  They agreed to mow for a flat fee.  They mowed about 1/10 of my lawn and quit.  😕  Maybe they feel the same way that you do and just figured "we mowed... we didn't promise to mow it ALL... but we mowed."

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

To be fair, I do know somebody who ordered directly from Atari 2 weeks before launch and got it not long after the 17th.

16 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Mine hasn't shipped yet today (December 1), it was day-after-announcement pre-order.

image.thumb.png.8690a7368634f3e1bc50cc3a2c4c3c87.png